Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The classic definition of wilderness will need to be discarded soon. Management of all land is increasingly important because natural processes cannot adequately cope with climate change and international spread of introduced species. There's really no going back at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

There are some situations where managing a landscape for purposes of mitigating climate change would be different for managing it for the benefit of biodiversity and wildlife: a densely packed forest is going to handle more carbon, but is probably going to be unfavorable for landscape and wildlife. (An open canopy allows greater biodiversity in understory flora, some animals like bighorn sheep prefer open woodlands over forests)

But the other question is: how exactly do you suggest that the landscape to be "managed"? The Selway-Bitterroot wilderness, for example, is 2000 square miles, with no roads. Even fighting fires there is often skipped just because there is no way to get people in. What type of headcount would you need to "manage" it?

I'm using the term "management" loosely. What I mean is that the Wilderness Act's definition of wilderness is quaint; a hands-off/minimalist approach often does nothing but preserve raw acreage and perceived wildness. Mechanized tools are going to do less damage to a wilderness area than failing to adequately address the spread of invasive species. A visitor may perceive the chainsaw as degrading the "naturalness" of the place, but that's just because he's unaware that he's totally surrounded by a monospecific stand of privet. Obviously the approach will be very different in a desert area or a marine one. It needs to be very area-specific.

I guess in reference to your example, we should dedicate enough public resources so that allowing wildfires to burn can stem from a deliberate decision rather than a lack of resources. In other areas, we should be the ones starting the burns. Again, very area-specific.

I'm just thinking out loud. This is a very broad topic.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There really isn't a clear answer to that. All preservation is IMO arguably selfish and human-centered, even if it involves minimizing human impact. We're preserving because we want to, not because it's some sort of objective good. So pre-human ecosystems aren't inherently any better than disturbed ones, even though we frequently value them more for their rarity, uniqueness, etc.

I'm not familiar with Isle Royale, but you'd want to weigh the inputs of the affected interest groups, the feasibility of the different preservation plans, the (non)existence of similar protected areas, etc. You probably can't revert a place like Isle Royale that drastically to its pre-human state, but you're more likely able to revert it to a sort of pre-Columbian state. Whether that's a good idea would come down to the input from interest groups and uniqueness or the site vs its value for recreation, education, or whatever.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would prefer to save every species, even if humans aren't responsible for their decline :shrug: That's what I mean about it being subjective though.

Except mosquitoes. They can gently caress off.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

call to action posted:

This is total nonsense, there is a huge amount of value to well-established ecosystems. And please don't bother me with the "wellll really there's no such thing as good or bad when you think about it, maaan" moral relativism idiocy.

You can tell bullshit opinions like yours because they ~just happen~ to line up exactly with capitalists, imperialists, and assholes.

lol, dude, don't throw a big tantrum just because you don't understand what we're talking about.

The guy's question was over which state of an ecosystem to preserve. The answer is that it doesn't matter outside of our own wants and capabilities. The island in question has gotten along fine with both wolves and lynxes as apex predators. Restoring one over the other is entirely subjective. boo hoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CountFosco posted:

Except for that the island might be too small to support a sustainable wolf population, whereas Lynx seem to fit into the environment better.

On the other hand, the wolf population has been a great subject for research. Again, there are multiple things that can be managed for on any given piece of land.

• Locked thread