Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
thread title, i want to get into containers

i have a colocated vmware server with a lot of unused resources and a private network with some extra public ips

how should i go about getting into containers? i was thinking docker + kubernetes or maybe dc/os

is there a good guide i should follow?

any help is appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just start with docker first, make some images and get used to the tools. kubernetes is a lot easier to install on small hardware than dc/os (it needs like 3-5 vms minimum lol) and anyway i think mesos isn't that popular anyway from my observations. theres like a billion guides out there

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-use-docker-on-ubuntu-16-04

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I still don't get what the gently caress containers are supposed to do

pram
Jun 10, 2001
also ive used https://hyper.sh/ to host some things like gogs. its pretty sick because the api commands are exactly like deploying/building anything on docker

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

RISCy Business posted:

how should i go about getting into containers?

pick a fight with a bully and he'll shove you into your locker

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
thank you :pram: i will look into this in the morning

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Silver Alicorn posted:

it's a vm but instead of being an os it's one program

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

RISCy Business posted:

how should i go about getting into containers?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

A long time ago some user here was pimping his terrible windows app virtualization thing that was buggy AF.

Then Microsoft bought it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_App-V

pram
Jun 10, 2001
containers and their schedulers aren't anything new. openvz and zones and yarn etc have been around forever. it's just docker made the build and image management part very easy. IRL deployment is still a major pain though unless your app is totally stateless/doesn't need any local persistence

pram
Jun 10, 2001
like for example doing something as simple as saving images to a disk, in a clustered setup, is not possible. you now need an object store or some distributed storage. it ratchets up complexity a ton. most people don't need to deploy infra like this

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i have a unbind container because it does all the crap i wanted without me doing anything. i wouldn't use it for a pet project

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

pram posted:

like for example doing something as simple as saving images to a disk, in a clustered setup, is not possible. you now need an object store or some distributed storage. it ratchets up complexity a ton. most people don't need to deploy infra like this

this is actually really easy and idg why people bring it up so much

probably most of your app doesnt need storage, okay, so thats easy, throw in stateless containers
and then like some things do (like your db), so make them a daemonset in k8s and use node storage, okay that was easy

problems left are: 'there's no distributed object store' which is also easy to fix if you install a distributed object store

or use nfs which probably sucks, or ceph or gluster or whatever that other one that had the company implode and pvcs, or use k8s in the cloud like you probably already are and use your cloud providers block storage

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

containers are rad for production, they're just the best iteration of 30(?) years of jails with the best generic tooling so far

except docker is utter trash, like the specific software is poopoo

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i'm sorry i mean moby, not docker, pbuh

pram
Jun 10, 2001

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

probably most of your app doesnt need storage, okay, so thats easy, throw in stateless containers
and then like some things do (like your db), so make them a daemonset in k8s and use node storage, okay that was easy

problems left are: 'there's no distributed object store' which is also easy to fix if you install a distributed object store

or use nfs which probably sucks, or ceph or gluster or whatever that other one that had the company implode and pvcs, or use k8s in the cloud like you probably already are and use your cloud providers block storage

it all falls apart the second you need persistent storage. you're left with managing the distributed garbage you posted or implementation specific block device janitoring that follows the container, like rexray. basically just turns into something you could have done with vms easier

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

i'm sorry i mean moby, not docker, pbuh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Og42ldefVc

pram
Jun 10, 2001
which is why yarn/mr was married to a distributed file system by design (hdfs)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

only container u should get in is the bin

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
so i guess i should just keep running vms then? idk if my use-case even fits containerization which means it probably doesn't

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it's really intended for large scale distributed deployments through a scheduler, running docker on your $5 vm isn't gaining anything useful. you can do all the same build automation with packer/ansible

still worthwhile to learn though :thumbsup:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

it's really intended for large scale distributed deployments through a scheduler, running docker on your $5 vm isn't gaining anything useful. you can do all the same build automation with packer/ansible

still worthwhile to learn though :thumbsup:

i mean this is the real reason i was considering getting into it for fun

lotta unused resources, and i feel like it's something i should know

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

22.9 free gigahertz

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

akadajet posted:

A long time ago some user here was pimping his terrible windows app virtualization thing that was buggy AF.

Then Microsoft bought it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_App-V

this has the worst db setup scripts ever. like you have to manually edit table names and poo poo. it's crap op

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

careful op, thats how gareth williams died

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

careful op, thats how gareth williams died

:whitewater:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
nothing to it OP

i hate this show & don't watch and the joke is forced as hell but w/e

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Silver Alicorn posted:

one thing, forever

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

pram posted:

making it hard for scrub devs to have important poo poo sitting in random folders on servers is one of the primary advantages to docker i think

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
yeah that's def. a feature. learn 2 scale

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
also instead of 1000 project putting stuff in the public schema of one db you can have 1000 lil dbs so its almost like we're using schemas now too!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

these days anyone who stores files on disk is a loving idiot

just use s3 or whatever microsoft offers (lol)

if you're janitoring files you're dumb.

if you REALLY need just files, you should have the infrastructure in place (like fiber channel etc) but really gently caress that noise

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes i agree paying amazon money does make stuff easy

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cool story though: s3 isnt block storage

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you put liquid in a bucket

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just put your database and kafka logs on s3 lol no big deal

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

hifi posted:

you put liquid in a bucket
nah just hold it in your hands, what an go wrong

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:same:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

put yourself in a dumpster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

pram posted:

just put your database and kafka logs on rds and kinesis respectively lol no big deal

• Locked thread