Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh nooooooooo, not the rape-orama :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Had a 1,000 point demo. My first game since 5th.

I had a Winged Hive Tyrant w/ 4 Devourers; Carnifex with Claws and Talons; 30 hormagaunts and 30 termagants; 3 Warriors w/ Devourers and a Venom Cannon; Trygon and 15 genestealers in reserve.

He had Chaos Marines with 10 cultists, a Tacsquad w/ Rhino, Terminator Squad and Lord, 3 Oblits and 4 Bikes.

Turn 1 he steals iniative and I already roll my eyes at this loving dicefest. But he manages to leave my Carnifex on 3 wounds.

My turn 1 I loving charge everything forward into melee with the terminators who beamed onto the middle of the table. All gaunts and gants plus the carnifex clump up there. Trygon burrows out of his backlines with his genestealer homies. WHT gives 5+ invul save to Hormagaunts in the psi phase.

His turn 2 he focuses the genestealers and does little to nothing, charging his bikes in. All but one bike die in return. My carnifex dies in the melee. His marines disembark and join in the fun.

And after that, we basically had a clump of dudes in the middle and passed turns around. Movement and tactics? Minimal. My hive tyrant was the only thing I kept out of melee, and had by then eliminated his cultists and taken the objective over there, Trygon had eaten the oblits. He had nothing that wasn’t engaged in melee, so his turns where limited to the close combat phase, with no movement at all. The highlight of the game was the Trygon inflicting all but one wound on the Lord, and then the hormagaunts killing him. But in retrospect, that’s not a highlight, that’s just throwing a huge amount of dice and hoping something happens. With around 60 attacks per turn and around 100 dice thrown per round, the hormagaunts inflicted two or three wounds total. The only remotely clever thing he got to do was disengage and drive the Rhino in the way of the unrushing Genestealers, to buy his tac squad another round to live. After 4 or 5 rounds, I tabled him.

All in all, the game felt faster. I liked that AP is back, and that basic weapons have little to no AP; I even got to actually use my 6+ saves. The monstrous creatures felt appropriately impactful, with the Carnifex not as durable as I had thought, but he’s cheap, so that’s fine. But after round three of throwing big fist fulls of dice with nothing accomplished, I thought, what’s the point? The fight in the middle was just there to keep the terminators occupied. He’d kill a couple gaunts, I’d roll dice for 10 minutes and do nothing. That was the big focal fight of the game, and was just a stall-out for both sides.

I get that it’s just a demo, and that he had a woefully under-equipped list to deal with my hordes of chaff, really, I do. But despite all the rolling, it felt like I had so little to do and almost nothing to decide. With the other tabletops I play (X-Wing and Warmahordes), positioning and maneuvering are key. There are certain strengths and weaknesses that can be overcome with different strategies – models with high def are better targeted by AOE weapons, support models have to be sniped out by clearing firing lanes, there’s meaningful choices in target priority.

Here, key is… I don’t know, having more dice or better weapons in your list? We had a couple guys watching as our painted armies looked pretty, and they were discussing which units where now amazeballs. All the time I thought, amazing at what? There’s almost no clever tricks to pull, almost no synergies. Yes, your murdertank can murder more stuff than my murderdudes, but he also costs more. What’s the point? I can buy 30 guys who have a poo poo time hitting for the same points as 5 marines who are good at hitting, but it all evens out in the long run.

With that out of the way, I have to say – I still love the look of my bugs to death, by far the coolest looking army I own. The sculpts are still amazing, and seeing the huge horde on the table was so cool. I’m thinking of buying a Tervigon because the model rocks, and because GW has beaten PP at the price game, at least in Europe. With the Tervigon, I’ll have at least some semblance of synergy, and give it another shot. But I’m not holding my breath on any deep revelations or carefully hidden nuggets of gameplay amazement – I’m expecting more dicerolling, with more gaunts per round.

And sometimes that’s fine. Just need to make sure I actually have some beer next time. I’ll need it.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 24, 2017

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm happy that SRM won't need to go far for his next fact-or-fanfiction on the badcast.

SRM's buddy whoshisface the guy with the strongbadlandia avatar? whatshisname his cohost is going to have a hell of a time figuring out if that's official fluff or not.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I suspect you mean Sex Cannon.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Luebbi posted:

Had a 1,000 point demo. My first game since 5th.

I had a Winged Hive Tyrant w/ 4 Devourers; Carnifex with Claws and Talons; 30 hormagaunts and 30 termagants; 3 Warriors w/ Devourers and a Venom Cannon; Trygon and 15 genestealers in reserve.

He had Chaos Marines with 10 cultists, a Tacsquad w/ Rhino, Terminator Squad and Lord, 3 Oblits and 4 Bikes.

Turn 1 he steals iniative and I already roll my eyes at this loving dicefest. But he manages to leave my Carnifex on 3 wounds.

My turn 1 I loving charge everything forward into melee with the terminators who beamed onto the middle of the table. All gaunts and gants plus the carnifex clump up there. Trygon burrows out of his backlines with his genestealer homies. WHT gives 5+ invul save to Hormagaunts in the psi phase.

His turn 2 he focuses the genestealers and does little to nothing, charging his bikes in. All but one bike die in return. My carnifex dies in the melee. His marines disembark and join in the fun.

And after that, we basically had a clump of dudes in the middle and passed turns around. Movement and tactics? Minimal. My hive tyrant was the only thing I kept out of melee, and had by then eliminated his cultists and taken the objective over there, Trygon had eaten the oblits. He had nothing that wasn’t engaged in melee, so his turns where limited to the close combat phase, with no movement at all. The highlight of the game was the Trygon inflicting all but one wound on the Lord, and then the hormagaunts killing him. But in retrospect, that’s not a highlight, that’s just throwing a huge amount of dice and hoping something happens. With around 60 attacks per turn and around 100 dice thrown per round, the hormagaunts inflicted two or three wounds total. The only remotely clever thing he got to do was disengage and drive the Rhino in the way of the unrushing Genestealers, to buy his tac squad another round to live. After 4 or 5 rounds, I tabled him.

All in all, the game felt faster. I liked that AP is back, and that basic weapons have little to no AP; I even got to actually use my 6+ saves. The monstrous creatures felt appropriately impactful, with the Carnifex not as durable as I had thought, but he’s cheap, so that’s fine. But after round three of throwing big fist fulls of dice with nothing accomplished, I thought, what’s the point? The fight in the middle was just there to keep the terminators occupied. He’d kill a couple gaunts, I’d roll dice for 10 minutes and do nothing. That was the big focal fight of the game, and was just a stall-out for both sides.

I get that it’s just a demo, and that he had a woefully under-equipped list to deal with my hordes of chaff, really, I do. But despite all the rolling, it felt like I had so little to do and almost nothing to decide. With the other tabletops I play (X-Wing and Warmahordes), positioning and maneuvering are key. There are certain strengths and weaknesses that can be overcome with different strategies – models with high def are better targeted by AOE weapons, support models have to be sniped out by clearing firing lanes, there’s meaningful choices in target priority.

Here, key is… I don’t know, having more dice or better weapons in your list? We had a couple guys watching as our painted armies looked pretty, and they were discussing which units where now amazeballs. All the time I thought, amazing at what? There’s almost no clever tricks to pull, almost no synergies. Yes, your murdertank can murder more stuff than my murderdudes, but he also costs more. What’s the point? I can buy 30 guys who have a poo poo time hitting for the same points as 5 marines who are good at hitting, but it all evens out in the long run.

With that out of the way, I have to say – I still love the look of my bugs to death, by far the coolest looking army I own. The sculpts are still amazing, and seeing the huge horde on the table was so cool. I’m thinking of buying a Tervigon because the model rocks, and because GW has beaten PP at the price game, at least in Europe. With the Tervigon, I’ll have at least some semblance of synergy, and give it another shot. But I’m not holding my breath on any deep revelations or carefully hidden nuggets of gameplay amazement – I’m expecting more dicerolling, with more gaunts per round.

And sometimes that’s fine. Just need to make sure I actually have some beer next time. I’ll need it.

To be fair, that sounds like an incredibly fluffy encounter with a swarm of Nids; use positioning and tactics until they hit you, then get drowned in bodies and killed once the melee starts.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Broken Record Talk posted:

To be fair, that sounds like an incredibly fluffy encounter with a swarm of Nids; use positioning and tactics until they hit you, then get drowned in bodies and killed once the melee starts.

Did he forget that he could retreat?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Clawtopsy posted:

this thread is

missing

SOMETHING

I like to imagine he's just getting ready for a cosplay contest

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fathis Munk posted:

Oh nooooooooo, not the rape-orama :ohdear:

has anyone got the edit i did with the ork cheerleader

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

S.J. posted:

With that kind of face you know he's def down for some crossplay. I imagine he's sporting a nice Tom of Finland chun down there too

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

TKIY posted:

Seems like it. Although, a lot of Nids stuff is fast enough that retreating just lets them attack first again.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

TKIY posted:

No, he did that once so another unentangled unit could fire, but it didn't do much.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

panascope posted:

Warham Dos & Don'ts:

Do:

Play a different game
Start shooting Krokodil
Suck dick

Don't:
Give Games Workshop money
Listen to badcast
Play with toys

truth

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

S.J. posted:

RuPaul's Drag Race 40,000

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
That would explain the pregnant Necron :ms:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

space marines have small stools

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

space marines have small stools

Their biology is very efficient.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Primaris stools are the truescale stool variant

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

IS THIS THE NEW SLAM SECTOR THREAD!?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like it and find it fun.

Oh god, it must really be terrible.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Skeleton King posted:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bill Murray wouldn't be a Dork Angle

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

The Skeleton King posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwdm3eC8FKg

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

f e c k

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pierzak posted:

That would explain the pregnant Necron :ms:

And here I thought it was a necron with spinning arms legs action.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Moola terrorizing an innocent Warhams player, 2017

EDIT: Someone should Photoshop a skull onto the Babadook's face, please and thank you.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Kollekt all da squigs

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

BULBASAUR posted:

Bill Murray wouldn't be a Dork Angle

That's definitely Jeremy Corbyn

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

EDIT: Someone should Photoshop a skull onto the Babadook's face, please and thank you.

That is a good scary movie, but is it a scary good movie?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

LordAba posted:

That is a good scary movie, but is it a scary good movie?

No.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Babadook owns but you need children to get the max out if it I think.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

if it's in a word, or it's in a book, you can't escape the 1980s roleplaying game that underpins your wargame 30 years later

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

JBP posted:

Babadook owns but you need children to get the max out if it I think.

I'm not giving GW money just to make Babadook viable.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm not giving GW money just to make Babadook viable.

Step 1: Have kids
Step 2: Watch Babadook
Step 3: Withhold the juice
Step 4: Buy GW with the juice money

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im the juice

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
You know I bet that juice story would be a real let-down if it hadn't been passed down by a turbo-grog and in reality the juice-kids said "can we choose this week" and Grog-dad said "No, I'm getting the new Grey Knights". But if we let ourselves accept that this might be the truth of it the story of juice is dead.

I am neither the juice kids, Grog-dad or the juice itself.

I wish I was all three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Compromise, buy Chinese imitation juice and models.

• Locked thread