Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's not really a global premiere if it's on different days/months, is it? :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

The secret ingredient is basil

And love

But mostly basil
The robot is the best character.

etalian posted:

noble space japan is amazing
Amazingly dumb.

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe I need to skim through the last episode of last season because I was totally lost at the beginning.
That was a really weird way to start a season. By the end of the episode I was up to speed again (I think) but yeah, for the first... half? of the episode I just had no idea what was going on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I think that's why they need aliens, fighting corporations is boring overall and that leaves them with having to focus on the immediate cast too much and their is barely anything there.
I always feel like for a show that starts without aliens, to add aliens would be a huge disappointment and signal that the writers are desperately making poo poo up as they go along because they used up all their ideas already.

M31 posted:

Wait what? They actually have the story planned out? That somehow makes it even worse. The last episode was a lot better just by virtue that it had a story arc that lasted for more than 5 minutes.
Maybe they just have the story of the corporations and other powerful entities worked out and we just never see it because the protagonists aren't important enough to be involved in any major way. After it's all over there'll be a tie-in guide that reveals all the interesting things that were happening while we watched some small-time criminals bumbling around.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

One thing I was wondering, why did that woman in Space Japan have to deliver an update on the war in person? Don't they have instantaneous communication across any distance, whereas actual travel takes time? Does Space Japan just love their medieval theme so much that they pretend they need to send actual messengers around instead of just phoning?

Also, why does Ryo want the Raza crew dead so badly? They stole back the blink drive from him, but is that all? Why is he wasting resources on this vendetta in the middle of a war?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Killjoys owns so loving hard.

Dark Matter is way better than Killjoys. Well, the bits that aren't Space Japan, anyway.

Speaking of Killjoys though, what was with that last episode being so anti-nerd? That was so weird.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mulva posted:

They judge everyone against the bar of John, which is a fairly high bar to clear.

There was that as well, but it also seemed like a more general thing where they all (including Turin) just hated nerds. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

If that's your bar I suggest Lost Girl, see a lot more Android there

Do not watch Lost Girl.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ups_rail posted:

star gate>farescape> kill joys> Dark Matter> Lexx>Colony>Falling skys

Lexx > Farscape > Dark Matter > Stargate > Killjoys > I don't know what those other two are.

Lexx is the best because it's what Farscape would be with absolutely no filter. Dark Matter is a much weaker version of Farscape. Killjoys and Stargate are more sort of adventure stories with good guys and bad guys and less fun characters, but Stargate has more good stuff just because it ran for so much longer and its major stories were more coherent and focused (even if individual episodes were often pure monster-of-the-week stuff).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah? I was thinking of checking it out, because I heard it shared behind the scenes people with Wynonna Earp and Killjoys. How bad is it, and how's it bad?
The first season is sort of on the same level as Dark Matter or Stargate, but with gratuitous PG rated sex scenes (the protagonist is a succubus :rolleyes:) and way more relationship melodrama - but that is the show at its absolute peak. So best case scenario, you start watching it and think "OK, this is trashy but fun." and then you get into the later seasons where absolutely nothing makes sense, characters change personality or just disappear from the plot for no reason and major plot threads just get dropped out of nowhere or resolve in such incredible anticlimax that you'll have watched three more episodes before you realise that that actually was the real end of that story and not a weird fake-out.

It's a badly written YA paranormal romance. The protagonist just keeps getting more and more powers and her backstory gets more and more complicated and the stakes keep getting higher and higher - but only in that way where they tell you the new bad guy is more dangerous and you never actually see it. And the plot seems to be written on the fly, with no plan for even the next episode let alone the rest of the season.

The only reason to watch it is to see Zoie Palmer trying to act human and failing. If you saw her in Dark Matter and thought "she's really good at playing an android" - that's not acting, she's just like that, apparently.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

wormil posted:

Lexx really needs to be divided into S1 Lexx and S2+ Lexx and nothing will ever top S1 Lexx. I used Lexx alot of times just now.

Each season of Lexx is quite different to the others. The first two are much more hard sci-fi, but the first season is basically four movies and the second is more of a normal TV show. The third adds in a lot of mystical stuff but is still relatively serious, and the fourth just goes completely off the rails. The fourth is my favourite overall, but I like all of them, and Eating Pattern is probably my favourite single episode.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wow, this episode was just painfully obvious. And it's such a cliché plot, too. Maybe once it was clever, but now whenever it happens it's just a wasted episode. It's so overdone that even the multiple fake-outs aren't convincing. And in this case we didn't even have any reason to care about whether the bad guys got the information they're after, because it wouldn't directly affect any of the main characters. The only thing we got out of it was that Six apparently had a family, but he decided not to contact them anyway, so what's the point?

ShakeZula posted:

I got the impression it was Sarah in control of the android
That's my assumption, but it could just as easily be some as-yet unknown entity that they'll end up fighting in a couple of episodes.

Blackchamber posted:

Episodes like this always remind me of the Batman Animated Series where Batman is trapped in a dream machine, specifically when hes tipped off its a dream because he can't read anything
I assumed that was what was happening with the computer screen and pill bottle, but the option they went with was just as dumb. If he looked at the screen expecting to see certain information there, shouldn't his subconscious have just filled it in? That "we didn't set the detail level high enough" excuse doesn't really make sense if all the information is coming from his brain anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Dark Matter has incredible music, great casting, cool and fun ideas, but little payoff, and Ryo is a loving drag. He's just a big loving baby throwing space tantrums. :qq: I hope the doubles kill him off so I don't have to watch him whine every time someone gives him advice he both asked for, and doesn't want.
One was the worst character, obviously, but Four wasn't far behind and turning into Ryo has not helped. But hey, at least we found out who Space Japan is actually at war with last episode. Although it kind of seems a bit like one EU nation going to war with another and all the rest just sitting it out, which would be weird.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I'm still convinced the whole crew are robots with the human implant Android has. :awesomelon: it would explain how the ship knocked them out simultaneously, Two's nanites, Fives presence on the ship, and all their memory loss.

Turns out, everyone's robots. The Raza crew, Space Japan, the corporations, everyone. The whole thing is just robots who forgot they were robots (and some robots who remember that they're robots, and also other robots who remember that they're robots but don't want to be robots).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Show really needs to do more goofy episodes like this one. 2's dog face, Android's obsession with the past, characters actually having fun and not just constantly scowling at everything.
Best episode so far.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"In...dispensible"
And the best line.

Android is still the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

I get a little tinge of regret/sad when I remember The Android was a part of this show, and that means no more Android. She was a really great character in a show of not very good characters.
I was mostly just watching for the Android, because the rest of it was pretty generic and Space Japan was the worst. Still, it was better than Killjoys.

• Locked thread