Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
One thing I am consistently surprised about is how fast they move the plot along. It must make it super hard for people to jump into, but most shows would have kept their real identities secret for like 1.5 seasons and revealed them one at a time. This show did it like in 2 episodes. When Nix was killed usually a show would play that misunderstanding up for like 6 episodes, but nope Ryo finds out literally as soon as was possible in the story. For all of its kind of doofyness, the show has done that part really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Generic American posted:

Killing off Nyx was a little weird last season, but I don't think anything can top how they handled the addict doctor who joined at the same time. Still have no clue what the point was there.

I think he was there just to set up the threat of the Pre-Cog jerks. Also, to make people feel bad cause he did gently caress off to do more drugs, but his last act was a noble one and he died for it.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

This episode was really good because it dealt with a fun sciencey situation. I really don't care about Ryo anymore. He was better when he didn't have his memories. Now he's just a perpetual rear end in a top hat and it's boring.

I was hoping there was going to be an actual struggle between who Ryo used to be and who he used to used to be. I think he gave one grimace over his girl dying and that was it. Hell, I appreciate them trying to turn a main character into a bad guy even. But because of how they did it you don't feel any more sympathetic with Ryo or understand why he does what he does, because the Ryo we watched in the show is dead and now it is just random space Japan Emperor baddie.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

qirex posted:

I agree that the last episode was one of the best for a while, the overarching plot hasn't been the best and I wouldn't mind more "anomaly of the week" episodes. I think one of the things that makes the war so uninteresting is that the different corporations are all presented as all being equally bad, only Space Japan has any personality and it's not a very good one.

They basically need to ramp up the Corp War 100 notches. Like we saw all this crazy tech around, blink drives that create spacetime bubbles and can reach alternate realities, the brain control squids, nanobot augmented humans, a piece of tech made a time loop for god's sake, you can just casually clone people across light years (imagine popping out 1000 copies of your best tactical warrior?) etc. The Corp War needs to be INSANE, like stars blinking out insane. Then, this would be a plot I could get behind.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Fat Lowtax posted:

I think making the two big storyline antagonists (Ryo and the Bad Corporations That Are Bad) completely separate from each other was too ambitious for what the show is. I'm sure the Ryo story will merge into the corporate war story, probably around mid-season, but there's not enough stakes in either one right now.

As it stands I still feel like there's a lot of space (christ) for a light space show that does good stand-alone episodes. I know most of the time with The Expanse, if I skip an episode I'm just like what...the gently caress when I see the next one.

I never thought I'd actively want to have a regression to "status quo sci fi" of the 90s but I definitely agree. I mean I absolutely love heavily serialized science fiction or other shows, but something I could just toss on for friends now and then who maybe never saw an episode before and they could just enjoy it without a 2 hour long primer would be very welcome.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Man, you can reliably time travel with this Blink Drive, as well as travel anywhere instantly, and enter alternate dimensions. Not only that but we have the only known functioning one in the universe.

JUST. DESTROY. IT. FOR. THE. LOVE. OF. GOD.

Maybe without the drive, they could focus on the galaxy wide war supposedly going on.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

So what is Five's supposed to be? That her sister died when trying to visit her?

My guess is they were twins? I can't recall if they ever called her an older or younger sister. So, when she showed up on a station where Five was wanted...

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I personally think it's the businesswoman (whose name I cant remember right now) from last season who had been hunting Five for the Blink Drive key. She wanted Five bad, and she's clearly from a well-off family.

That would be really good, and I hope it happens.

Also, I feel like such an idiot but I just can not stop liking Ryo. The hell is wrong with me.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Everything with 3 was awkward since he didn't have a reason to go and they didn't give him a reason and then even brought up that he didn't have a reason to tag along.

Three's wiggy alien senses were tingling! Which actually would have been a pretty good excuse if they made his insistence a little stronger and weird.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

wormil posted:

I don't know, I don't find the story difficult at all. The finale was good enough, lots of cliffhangers but I feel confident there will be another season so no worries. The space battle was pretty good, wish it had lasted longer but that was probably a good chunk of their budget. If we are going to see all that Android future stuff, they need to pick up the pace.

As for the blink drive, I hope they never try to explain it. That's the worst thing you can do is try to explain fantasy tech.

The blink drive is fine as a Macguffin tech thing. It magic'd ships to far flung destinations instantly, magic'd a ship into another dimension, magic'd a station into a collapsing bubble universe, magic'd a ship to the past, then magic'd a hole to the end of time in a different dimension to let in an invading army of body snatching squid aliens.

If anything, it is refreshing to see an instantaneous transfer machine be used in all the ways it could be used, instead of pretending that some near infinitely powerful thing can only do one trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

When all those ideas are laid out like that, you have to wonder why they didn't start any of that, ooooooh 2 seasons ago maybe.

• Locked thread