Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
ya'll have been so beautiful i needed a nightcap

so i made myself a White Texan

2 oz kahlua, 1 oz bourbon, 1 oz heavy cream, 1/2 oz of ranch dressing

stirring was not working so i threw it in the shaker and it looks better even if i didnt want to change out glasses for a ~clean picture~

it's surprisingly pretty good!! with the cream, the ranch dressing is more like the vermouth of dairies, adding just a bit of spice and acidity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

mormonpartyboat posted:

ya'll have been so beautiful i needed a nightcap

so i made myself a White Texan

2 oz kahlua, 1 oz bourbon, 1 oz heavy cream, 1/2 oz of ranch dressing

stirring was not working so i threw it in the shaker and it looks better even if i didnt want to change out glasses for a ~clean picture~

it's surprisingly pretty good!! with the cream, the ranch dressing is more like the vermouth of dairies, adding just a bit of spice and acidity

quite nice! :discourse:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

shrimp:

marinated in lime, scallions, thyme, coriander, chili, garlic, garlic salt, red pepper flakes, parsley, habanero pepper, and chili pepper

then they are dredged in flour and crushed cool ranch Doritos

a tomato flour roux was made with onion and orange bell peppers with fish stock to which the shrimp was reintroduced

more coming...

gently caress whwats the smiley for horny again

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Duscat posted:

First, we prep some accompaniments. Lime ranch butter is exactly what it sounds like:

We need some chili powder:

And a dip for tempura:

[timg]

It starts out as teriyaki, then into Teriyaki Ranch, and finally Hot Ranch.

Now it's time to cook! Let's get a cornbread going:

I forgot to get buttermilk, so we'll cheat with milk and lime juice, but first the cornmeal needs to soak in the milk for a while. We reserve a little bit of it on the side to mix the baking powder and soda in. A cast iron pan goes into the oven to heat up.

Also, we get things together for Cspamish rice, but then remember we need to do something else first. First, dice up the onion and garlic.

Brown and season some ground beef for stuffing, and set aside. Then back to the rice:

Get some of that very beautiful chicken fat off the top of the stock and cook up some onions. Then sautee the rice, add chili powder and garlic, and into the rice cooker it goes!

Add chicken stock and some ranch seasoning. As is the C-SPAM tradition, a tomato goes on top, accompanied by some thyme and oregano. Push butan. The cooker will handle the rest and keep the rice nice and warm for as long as it takes to get the rest together.

Now back to stuffing peppers.

We grate a mix of Cheddar, Mozzarella, and Gruyere, chop up some cilantro, and coarsely grind a new ingredient: Salsa Verde flavored Doritos! Hollow out the peppers (small tongs work great for pulling out excess pith) and then stuff them up but good. A couple of toothpicks to hold the caps on and a nice oil coat is applied and they're ready for the oven.

So's the cornbread:

This pan is now at 400 degrees, so we take care not to grab with our bare hands, although every few years we forget and then we get to wear a single cotton glove like Michael Jackson for a few days. We melt a couple of tablespoons of bacon fat in it, then pour most of it into the batter, leaving the pan nicely greased. Also, in quick succession, the lime juice goes in the batter, and then the remaining dry mix, and then the whole foaming mess goes in the pan and in the oven.

Just a couple more things to prep now:

We make two batters, a rice tempura augmented with Doritos, the other a thick batter of Mountain Dew and Doritos, with rice flour to hold it together. We set up a fry station.

Our main dishes are done! Pull them out and quickly fry up our mushrooms.

We are finally ready to eat!

Dorito tempura mushrooms with Hot Ranch. The mushrooms were great. The Hot Ranch, honestly, was not. The heat and the ginger were nice against the bland mushrooms, but teriyaki should not be so greasy. It might have worked if I'd left out either the mirin or the soy sauce. The mushrooms were rescued by serving neat ranch on the side, which worked much better.

Dorito-stuffed poblano with Cspamish rice and Dorito Cornbread with Lime Ranch butter.

The pepper was great. The Doritos weren't super obvious, but the gooey corny mess they made was very nice and kept the stuffing from just tumbling out when you cut into the pepper. The rice tasted excellent, though the C-SPAM method of mushing a tomato into it after cooking made it rather wet, not really what Spanish rice is supposed to be, but good nevertheless. The cornbread was moist and delicious, though not particularly dorito-y, and the tang of the lime ranch butter was surprisingly good against the sweet cornbread.

And now, time for dessert! Back to the fry station.

We're making hush puppies! The frozen Mountain Dew jello cubes are wrapped in the batter and fried up good.

This was a moderate success. No explosions, which was my main worry, but a somewhat disappointing result. The jello melted around the edges but was still half-frozen in the middle, and it turns out Mountain Dew is not the proper choice of jello for this application. It's not sweet enough, nor does it have much flavor. I think this would have worked a lot better with regular jello made at double strength.

Now, I have a kitchen to clean. Will be back tomorrow to watch the contest.

i think your entries are lovely

those orbs look so delicious :swoon:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
duscat there is a thing in hawaiian cooking called poi balls which is like one part sweet rice flour, one part poi, and 1/2 part sugar and you fry it and it is loving astonishing

im wondering if there is a way to make mountain dew pudding instead of mountain dew jello? or maybe adding more gelatin, then breaking up the jello, like putting it in a bag and then mashing it to give it a gooey consistency rather than firm consistency?

i really want to see fried mountain dew balls and i might try a few incredibly stupid things that might end with me dying to do so

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mormonpartyboat posted:

duscat there is a thing in hawaiian cooking called poi balls which is like one part sweet rice flour, one part poi, and 1/2 part sugar and you fry it and it is loving astonishing

im wondering if there is a way to make mountain dew pudding instead of mountain dew jello? or maybe adding more gelatin, then breaking up the jello, like putting it in a bag and then mashing it to give it a gooey consistency rather than firm consistency?

i really want to see fried mountain dew balls and i might try a few incredibly stupid things that might end with me dying to do so

that sounds like an incredibly yummy idea, but please stay with us while exploring, lol

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mormonpartyboat posted:

gently caress whwats the smiley for horny again

:sparkles: :3:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
al's offerings are some of the best posts ive ever seen on these forums in over a decade, god dam,n

:five:

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

kumba posted:

al's offerings are some of the best posts ive ever seen on these forums in over a decade, god dam,n

:five:

Agreed. I'm disgusted and fascinated. Art.

The Senator's, though, beautiful and probably delicious.

MPB, ilu, but oh my God, hon. White Texan. No.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
All these entries are amazing but to be perfect they should really be required to use the Euro variant of Cool Ranch:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think you mean

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
this thread should probably get a front page article about it lmebo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

those are some drat fine fried orbs i apologize for overlooking their magnificence

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i might do another round, esp if it'll get more people to join in

:getin:

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
Man, you guys are creative. Al's dishes frighten me. I think it's the drop of blood that pushes the concept a little beyond the edge for me. Awesome plating though.

I'm definitely going to try those fritters sometime. Doritos seem to lend themselves really well to fried batters.

I bet Mountain Dew pudding would be doable with simple corn starch, or a Nordic style translucent berry soup with potato starch.

For frying, you might be able to insulate the jello like the ice cream in Baked Alaska, where the meringue is an intermediate layer that ends up kind of half-cooked. Maybe if you skewered your Jello cubes, dipped them in meringue and just halfway froze them, and then dipped in a thin layer of batter and fried very quickly?

But I think the biggest challenge in flavoring things with Mountain Dew is that it actually doesn't have all that much flavor when used as an ingredient. I couldn't really taste it in the crust on those jello balls, even though it was the only liquid in the batter, and the jello was pretty bland as a filling. I think you'd have to reduce it, but I don't know if prolonged heating would make those brominated fatty acids do something funky! Maybe you could get your hands on some syrup from a soda fountain...

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the poi balls are just the poi and flour (and sugar) mixed completely and you end up with a crispy outside and gooey inside kinda like in this lovely pic

might be easier to go for that kind of a thing than a battered orb of mountain dew

also reducing it sounds so horrific that i think it might be better than gelatin. reduce it to a third, where its almost a syrup, then add a bit of flour and sugar and go

i might need to buy a pot that i intend to destroy if im gonna do that tho

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mormonpartyboat posted:

the poi balls are just the poi and flour (and sugar) mixed completely and you end up with a crispy outside and gooey inside kinda like in this lovely pic

might be easier to go for that kind of a thing than a battered orb of mountain dew

also reducing it sounds so horrific that i think it might be better than gelatin. reduce it to a third, where its almost a syrup, then add a bit of flour and sugar and go

that looks yum

also, some scientists are in this thread, lol!

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
I ran a few pudding experiments. Will let you know when they've chilled, but probably not until tomorrow.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mormonpartyboat posted:

battered orb of mountain dew

:orb:

also you guys went all out, you absolute ledges

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

mormonpartyboat posted:

yeah, that looks like it could work. definitely need to reduce it though!

or buy one of these

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Duscat posted:

I ran a few pudding experiments. Will let you know when they've chilled, but probably not until tomorrow.

so official! rapt attention on this experiment :munch:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mormonpartyboat posted:

i might do another round, esp if it'll get more people to join in

:getin:

same.

appetizer

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Al! posted:

same.

appetizer

:yum:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Can you reduce mountain dew down a lot and use it like a syrup?

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

right??!!

iron chef cspam>art division>master class>al!

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

hakimashou posted:

Can you reduce mountain dew down a lot and use it like a syrup?

i don't see why not, but i've never tried it

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

same.

appetizer

I remember this part of kings quest ii, poo poo was hard

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

i don't see why not, but i've never tried it

I've had yuzu creme brulees before at a really nice japanese restaurant and they were excellent, I wonder if mountian dew creme brulee would be any good.

I'm making pots de creme/ creme brulee in my sous vide this week maybe i'll get a bottle of mountain dew and reduce it down and add it to one of them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

entre

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

dessert

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

hakimashou posted:

I've had yuzu creme brulees before at a really nice japanese restaurant and they were excellent, I wonder if mountian dew creme brulee would be any good.

I'm making pots de creme/ creme brulee in my sous vide this week maybe i'll get a bottle of mountain dew and reduce it down and add it to one of them.

give us pictures!

we need them for sustenance and joy!

no really it sounds yummy, and i'm curious

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Al! posted:

dessert

so pretty!!!!

i am lovin the artwork! :swoon:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Al! posted:

dessert

drat this would be a good av

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
Pudding break!

All recipes were made with 1 tbsp thickener to a cup of Mountain Dew except for xanthan gum which was 1/4 tsp to a cup.

Potato starch:

This has a consistency like a Swedish blueberry soup. The sweetness is about right, and the flavor is delicate and lemony. Nice translucent color, not cloudy. I could finish this.

Tapioca starch:

I may have used too much starch. Very soft but strong texture, it yields under the spoon but won't break, and you have to fight to get a chunk out. Reminds me of toy slime from the 80s. The flavor is ok, but the texture is unappetizing. Could be useful for grossing out the kids on Halloween.

Xanthan gum (1/4 tsp per cup, not heated):

This feels a bit like instant pudding, perhaps a bit slimy, and very soft. It tastes fine. Interestingly, there is a little bit of carbonation still left in the gel, so it tastes more sour than the others. I wouldn't serve this as is though, it feels thin.

Xanthan gum (1/4 tsp per cup, heated just to boiling):

About like the above, but with the carbonation removed. Now that I have this to compare, the unheated version feels just a little chalky, like some of the xanthan gum didn't quite dissolve or activate or whatever. This one is smooth and clean. Perhaps with more gum this would be a serviceable pudding.

Cornstarch & Nido:

I thought I'd try a milk pudding, but since Mountain Dew is so dilute you can't usefully add it to milk, I thought I'd add powdered milk to it instead. The result is fairly pudding-like, and adding an egg to make a custard would probably improve it a lot. The powdered-milk flavor does come through even after it sat in the fridge overnight. I accidentally added 33% more than the tin called for. This is palatable but not great.

Conclusion:

Recipe for Swedish Mountain Dew soup:

- 2 cups Mountain Dew
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch

Mix and heat to boiling, chill, and serve.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
:stare:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

drat this would be a good av

its up for grabs

mags
May 30, 2008

you guys should perfect and compile all of the recipes into a CSPAM cookbook and sell for chairty, RAINN or something

mags
May 30, 2008

probably enough talent in CSPAM for graphic design, etc, to get one complied and published

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
RAINNCH

also im going to go shopping today and see if i can make a beautiful mountain dew syrup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

RAINNCH

also im going to go shopping today and see if i can make a beautiful mountain dew syrup

perfect

• Locked thread