Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Problem description: Back in let's say October, I installed Windows 10 Pro after bulldozing my windows 7 installation. In November I got a new motherboard/processor, installed them (without reinstalling Windows), and noticed I started having some blue screen issues. After some fiddling with the processor's OC those went away, but in some cases the computer wouldn't come out of hibernation, or if the monitor turned itself off the computer just wouldn't 'snap out' of it.
I chalked it to a massive hardware change without a reinstall, up until one day I booted the computer up, logged in, and it would just... do nothing.

I'd see the desktop, but after launching any program it would not open it, the cursor would get stuck in 'busy' animation, and nothing would respond. No ctrl alt del, no ctrl alt esc, nothing. I then restarted and got a black screen loading loop. The few times I managed to get to the desktop, the same thing would happen.

I reinstalled, worked ok until about 3 months later where the exact same thing happened. Boot up, stop responding when opening a program, restart, black screen. This has happened 4 times already.

Finally last night I got the same issue, but this time I got a 'errors in disk' message right before it. I used the windows 10 boot media to do a chkdsk and /fixmbr, it found 3 errors (the hiber.sys file and some log files in c:) and it looked like that fixed the issue after restarting, but today I booted up and got the same 'non responding' phase. A restart seemed to fix it, but I feel like I'm on borrowed time, and I'm already planning a bulldoze after some backups.

I'm seriously considering going back to Windows 7 at this point, but it has happened one time too many and I'm beginning to fear something's fucky with my hardware. Could my SSD be dying? the health check says it's 99% healthy, but I'm starting to see a pattern with my computer going into hibernate/sleep and this issue (I have had hibernate disabled for a while now, but I slept it manually a couple days ago).

Attempted fixes: Tried using the windows 10 install usb to perform recovery/automated fix but it didn't do anything. Reinstalled Windows 10 several times, verified SSD health which looks fine. Performed chkdsk/fixmbr which worked once, but appears to be a temporary solution, seeing as I just got the same issue.

Recent changes: I got a new keyboard on Tuesday. Other than that, none since November when I changed mother/micro/ram.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs:
code:
Processor Name:                                                                 Intel Core i5-6600K
Motherboard Model:                                                              GIGABYTE Z170M-D3H-CF
Total Memory Size:                                                              16 GBytes
Video Chipset:                                                                  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Power Supply: 									Corsair RMx Series, RM650x, 650W, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified

HDDs:
Drive Model:                                                                    MKNSSDCR240GB-DX (SSD, 240gb, OS is installed here)
Drive Model:                                                                    WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0
Drive Model:                                                                    WDC WD30EZRZ-22Z5HB0
Drive Model:                                                                    WDC WD20NMVW-11AV3S3

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I was digging into the Event Viewer and found this:

All those Event ID 7 disk errors have the same info on them:
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

HDD #0 is the SSD; I tried running chkdsk but it's not picking anything up.

(The critical are all ID 41, I'm chalking those up to me having to manually turn off the computer whenever it locked up/stopped responding).

/edit: Downloaded HD Tune, found this:

And the other 'attention' message:

/edit:
well, poo poo

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 9, 2017

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It sounds like your SSD is failing, I would also check to make sure your other spinning drives don't have problems.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Alereon posted:

It sounds like your SSD is failing.

Yeah. :( On one hand, gently caress. On the other hand, at least it looks like I found my problem. Can I scan/'tag' bad sectors so Windows knows not to use them, or is that a Really Bad Idea and I should avoid using the SSD altogether and install to one of my regular drives until I buy a new SSD?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The system already marks and stops using bad sectors, if you're having system problems that's because more sectors are continuously going bad because the drive is failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Alereon posted:

The system already marks and stops using bad sectors, if you're having system problems that's because more sectors are continuously going bad because the drive is failing.

Gotcha, thanks a lot. I probably won't be getting a new SSD in the near future, so I'm probably going to reinstall on one of the 'regular' drives for the time being and do some research on what to get.

Thanks again, mate. Much appreciated.

• Locked thread