Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifisto

the internet can't decide whether it's summer in the northern hemisphere yet or not, they're all "blah blah it depends on whether you're using the astronomological calndar or the meteorosexual calendar blah blah blah" but we're past memorial day so as far as I'm concerned it's summer enough to be thinking about summer sigs

so instead of bumping the spring sig thread I'm creating a new one, you're welcome

and yes, since you asked, I'm in the mood for a new sig and would appreciate any efforts at same

I may try my hand at a few if the spirit moves me (and by "spirit" I largely mean "mojitos")

thanks in advance, and happy summerish!!

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Splatmaster posted:

May I have a fun and exciting BYOB Summer sig please? Thank you in advance!

it will be hard to top your spring one!

Manifisto

a quick note: I think most people realize this, but just in case . . . yobbers are pretty generous with their time and talents making sigs and avatars and whatnot, but turnaround may take a little while. don't worry, someone will get to you! if it's been a while, I'd say more than a week, a gentle reminder that you're still looking is okay, sometimes people inadvertently fall through the cracks.

Manifisto

holy cow I love it! thank you!!!

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Splatmaster posted:

May I have a fun and exciting BYOB Summer sig please? Thank you in advance!

hmmm I do not necessarily view this as finished, but before I put more effort into it I"m wondering if this kind of thing does it for you . . . maybe with an animated waterfall if that could be pulled off?

if not I'm not offended, can always try something else

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

flanisher posted:

Manifisto's piece is real nice - I had worked up this little gem for you Splatmaster in case you'd like to use it in your sig

aw dam that's real good, use it if you like splat! (you could always use both!)

I took a stab at animating the waterfall fwiw:

e: hey vanisher and flanisher, maybe if one of us starts working on a sig we could like pm the other or something, and that way not both be working on the same one? it's not bad for people to have choices ofc but it's also not a bad idea to spread out the efforts

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 12, 2017

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

I will make some things too!

Also anyone who is daring enough please feel free to make me a thing

workin on a concept here

thoughts?

Manifisto

???

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

This is excellent and I'm ready to make it mine

I like to keep my sigs under like 300 height is my only request. I could make the edit if you like. If you still had the base image maybe we could move the vanisher down a little to keep the text proportions, but if you don't have the base image a simple scaling would be fine!

I don't mind making edits! I sort of realized it might be a bit large, I guess somewhat unconsciously I've been doing them on the larger side with the idea that it's much easier to shrink them eventualy if people want that

I took a stab at a reductioning:

I can email you the various files I've used if you'd rather tweak it yourself--my workflow is a little bit messy due to the various hacks required to do animations in GIMP, but I try to save things in stages so I can go back if necessary

pm me an email address if you want source files

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

flanisher posted:

Second attempt

here's the big size image, if you like your sig a bit bigger I could play with it

that is awesome, nice ps chops!

Manifisto

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i really like the colors

ya it's pretty

Manifisto

Sensual Simian posted:

byob posting quality

:confused:

seriously tho, no imposition! just give us a bit of time to work through the requests . . .

Manifisto

Meeksha posted:

I've never had a sig before. Actually, I've had this account for years and haven't really posted until I found BYOB over the past couple of months... too much flaming. BYOB is where it's at, baby.

here's a thought . . . the only flames in byob are the flames of chill . . .

e: speling

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 14, 2017

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

easy mode option for you Macnult

e: I've got an idea for a supplimental sig image for you (bam!)

oo, these look really good together!

Manifisto

Starman Super DX posted:

I just wanted to know if it was something less obvious because I wanted to be a cool kid with a cool kid signature :saddowns:

using whatever font makes you happy = cool

but it's hard to go wrong with comic sans around here

Manifisto

mister magpie posted:

can i, your humble forums corvid, have a summer sig?

wanted to run an interest check before I expend a lot more effort on this . . . does this kind of thing appeal?

e: updated a bit

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 16, 2017

Manifisto

mister magpie posted:

yes super interested

ok cool! I, uh, went ahead and already tweaked the things that were bothering me most, the motion of the kite and string. anything more you'd like done with it?

Manifisto

Starman Super DX posted:

Here is my new sig please don't be too mean oh god

cool!

Manifisto

mister magpie posted:

hmmm uh a cute dolphin in the ocean

let me see what I can do!

Manifisto

mister magpie posted:

i was super high when i made this suggestion

then it is extremely byob

Manifisto

mister magpie posted:

i was super high when i made this suggestion

here's what I got

Manifisto

They Might Be posted:

it would be super cool if anyone could sig me a small summer mantis totem for my sig. 150px height w/ transparent background and i'll add it in!

uh by "totem" what do you mean exactly? like are you referring to indigenous art designs, maybe a bit abstract, or do you just want a small pic of a mantis?

Manifisto

hmmm looks like there were some slightly weird things about the way the frame disposal was specified, also the color indexing

I'm curious, is this one easier to work with in photoshop? I actually use gimp for my gif editing, I don't have full photoshop only ps elements.

I have an unoptimized file too, but it's like 53 MB, kind of unwieldy to transfer/share (too big for imgur I think)

lol

Manifisto

They Might Be posted:

sorry i was using totem like the thing people hold up on sticks at music fest. a little icon i can add to the line like the play-doh mantis head from sext. animated, not animated, physical, digital, inspired by any post (beer, mantis, anagrams, old arcade ads) don't care as long as under 150px height with a background i can key out or is already transparent!

edit: badge probably would have been the most clear word to use.

this isn't what you asked for . . . at all . . . but I thought it was kinda cool so I'm posting it anyway

just sorta messin around with mantis pix

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Starman Super DX posted:

Yes, that did it! Thank you! :D I downloaded GIMP too since I'd been playing with both so I could decide which one was easier to use. What was it you did in GIMP to fix it or get it to display properly? I'm guessing PS's default settings were causing it to render incorrectly or something.
Anyway, this was my original vision, made with the file you fixed for me.

since you haven't used gimp, you have to understand that animations in gimp require a bit of hackery . . . there's some basic support in there by default, and there are free extensions you can download that allow you to do kinda neat stuff, but none of it is particularly elegant interface-wise

so when you open a gif in gimp, it will open as a multilayer image. the names of the layers are what stores the information about how long each layer is displayed (e.g. "(100ms)") and the frame display mode (which will be either "(replace)" or "(combine)"). text that doesn't fit those formats is basically ignored when it comes to displaying the gif animation.

but! since this is kind of a hacky way to do it, if the layers are named in a way that the parser can't quite understand you get unexpected behavior. one that happens to me sometimes is that both "(combine)" and "(replace)" will end up in the layer name, you want to avoid that

when I opened up the simpsons gif in gimp, I noticed that a number of the layers were named slightly strangely (there was an exclamation point in parentheses, this apparently caused some weird behavior). I manually fixed them to avoid problems.

also, the simpsons gif you provided was, somehow, not in indexed color mode--at least not when gimp opened it up (it opened as rgb mode). this is strange to me as I thought gifs had to be indexed colors. I changed the image mode to indexed, 255-color palette, and allowed gimp to approximate colors by dithering. this removed some of the wallpaper color weirdness, although some of that weirdness (the "posterized" look) was in the original file and would probably have to be manually removed to smooth out

uh, as vanisher referred to I also unoptimized the image then re-optimized it, maybe unnecessary but it let me see what I was working with better

finally--I like what you did with the image!

Manifisto

ok here's this bur on reflection you probably want a whole mantis, not something cut off . . . or do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

They Might Be posted:

yeah!!

that's the stuff

if you still have the source can you hit me with a version with a transparent background so I can put deeper it in the sig like so?

of course! I shoulda just included the transparent version the first time around.

• Locked thread