Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And doctors and lawyers and cops. Uh, no offense, Cybil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I completely forgot that there were doctor enemies in this game, not just nurses. I don't think they come back in any of the other SH games, do they?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
As far as I know, doctors don't come back. I don't remember if the nurses are in 3, but nurses definitely become a staple of the series, for better or for worse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nurses are a recurring enemy, but not like this, this is the only real appearance of the 'puppet' hospital staff enemies with the parasites. Maybe the developers decided they were too human and amped them up for future appearances.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I think that clanging music might be the anvil chorus from Il Trovatore.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The parasites only appear in the first game, apparently. It sounds like it's one of those things that ended up getting thrown out after Silent Hill 2 sort of found the voice of the series.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wonder if that hospital still had any unspoiled tetanus booster shots Harry could've grabbed on his was though, could come in quite handy for a world made of nothing but rusting metal surfaces.

He wouldn't be able to tell random strangers who he was or what he was doing in town if he was fighting with a severe case of lockjaw...

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Harry: My name is Harry Mason. I'm in town inoculating people against-
Townsperson: Hey, have you read this report about incidents of autism among vaccine patients?!

The true horror of Silent Hill is ignorance.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
As someone who has never played the game before, I'm loving the lp so far.

How does the kicking/stomping thing work? I noticed sometiimes you kick monsters when they are kocked out, and sometimes you just let them die by themselves.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Monsters that get knocked over but don't die will get back up after a little while, which the kick remedies, but sometimes you deal enough damage to kill them outright while they're standing and they just fall over dead instead. It's much more common in this game than the rest (because enemies have a lot less health).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Basically, when the radio static stops is when you're safe to stop beating them up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's one thing SH4 has going for it: Henry has the meatiest stomp of any SH hero.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Esoteric Scientist posted:

As someone who has never played the game before, I'm loving the lp so far.

How does the kicking/stomping thing work? I noticed sometiimes you kick monsters when they are kocked out, and sometimes you just let them die by themselves.

In this specific case it's because the nurses will fall down but not be dead after two bashes with the hammer but since they stay on their feet for a bit after the second time hitting them a third time with the hammer counts as hitting them "on the floor" as it were. The stomp is there so you don't have to use a bullet or switch to a melee weapon every time you want to actually kill a monster.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Detective Thompson posted:

Harry: My name is Harry Mason. I'm in town inoculating people against-
Townsperson: Hey, have you read this report about incidents of autism among vaccine patients?!

The true horror of Silent Hill is ignorance.

My name is Harry Mason, here is a vaccination.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I was in a building the other day where the first floor was the ground floor and it actually really confused me for a moment. It's surprisingly off-putting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I was in a building the other day where the first floor was the ground floor and it actually really confused me for a moment. It's surprisingly off-putting.

Americans are sensible in how they label things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The house I currently live in is also stuck in some weird temporal floor conundrum. The first floor, as it were, is just a small landing with exits through the front door, to the garage, and out onto the porch. There also are stairs leading up to the second floor and down to the basement. But it's not really an actual floor of the house because all that's in that room are some closets... but it has to be the first floor because it's on the ground level and leads out to other things that are on the ground level... but it can't be called 'the ground level' because that'd make the 2nd floor be called 'the 1st floor' and that doesn't make any goddamn sense because it's two floors above the basement!! What is this house anarchy I am living in??? Has the world gone mad???

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 10, 2017

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

CJacobs posted:

The house I currently live in is also stuck in some weird temporal floor conundrum.

I think that's called a "split level house". The basement isn't quite fully underground but usually about half underground. They're common. Can't say I care for the design though.

Edit: VV Pretty much, yeah. I don't understand split level floors plans, especially when neighboring houses are normal ranch style houses with normal basements. Like, who wants a basement that's not actually underground? And who thinks that's a good idea?

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 10, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Like someone's nightmarish architectural delusions come to life........................................

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Can you MSPaint us a diagram of this?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Like someone's nightmarish architectural delusions come to life........................................

Are your floors particularly rusty by any chance?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Are split level hours not common where you guys are from? They were particularly popular during the 60's and 70's though you don't see them being built much these days. Some of them are fairly hard to tell apart though.

I grew up in a house that looked almost identical to the one below:

Except it was mirrored (and we mowed and weeded our lawn). The first floor was the garage and foyer with a hallway running the length of the house that lead to a flight of stairs going up and a flight of stairs going down, as well as a den and small bathroom that wrapped around the garage ending with an exit to the side of the house. The 'main' level contained most of the common rooms of the house as well as another flight of stairs leading to the second floor which was located above the first floor. The basement was located under the 'main' part of the house to the side and had 9.5 foot high ceilings so it was just as deep as a normal basement. The part that was under the first floor was a crawl space used for storage.

The neighbourhood was built on the side of a ravine with the land gradually sloping downward so the design fit better. On normal, level lots I guess people just liked the look. I don't mind them myself, but they do make moving furniture a pain in the rear end and if you have bad knees or arthritis then it's going to suck having to go up and down all those stairs day in and day out.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
So the ground floor/first floor thing is a UK vs US thing, right? In Australia, we're heavily influenced by UK culture obviously - but more and more by US culture too.

That basically means I exist in a state of perpetual confusion whenever floor numbers come up. Which scheme do we use here? Does it maybe vary from one building to the next? I can never remember.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Antistar01 posted:

So the ground floor/first floor thing is a UK vs US thing, right? In Australia, we're heavily influenced by UK culture obviously - but more and more by US culture too.

That basically means I exist in a state of perpetual confusion whenever floor numbers come up. Which scheme do we use here? Does it maybe vary from one building to the next? I can never remember.

The US numbers every floor so the ground floor is also the first floor. Europe labels the first floor the ground floor and only numbers above it, so the second floor is the "first floor".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Otherwise known as 'floor 0' or just 'G' on elevator buttons in a lot of places that don't label the ground floor as the first floor. Thank goodness Silent Hill takes place in small town America! I would hate to be running from monsters and forget what floor I'm on because of naming conventions.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Maybe the Alchemilla elevator just adapts itself to the nationality of the user, and for a little while it thought Harry was possibly non-American.

The hospital was the one time in a game when I just turned it off because I didn't want to see any more that night for fear of what it might be. The near-humanity of the monsters is just so disturbing, and I think it's easily the most upsetting aspect of anything in Silent Hill.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Antistar01 posted:

Yeah, most buildings in Australia follow the UK scheme, so it's confusing when you encounter one that does it the American way.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The place where I study has a G floor that goes straight to 2, thoroughly confusing my brain which has lived in both the US and the UK.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

There was a ground floor here. It's gone now.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Many greek buildings private or public service ones also have a semi-floor (between ground floor and first floor). A few have a semi-basement too. If you take the stairs chances are you'll spend sometime going up and down floors to get the right one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

What do you know, it turns out Cybil was the secret best character all along. Also, it seems the monsters of Silent Hill have a letter to stick in the mail, so let's go on a fun little detour!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Mail's important, dude. Even monsters got bills to pay.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'd forgotten how interesting the transitions to the other-world are in SH1. Like Harry being surprised by that altar bursting into flames, and Cybil running in to find that he's just vanished. Pretty spooky! This was a fairly spooky part of the game overall, really. (Awkward voice-acting notwithstanding.)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Serpentine, CJacobs! Serpentine! Don't let them get a bead on you.

Also, it was raining in hell...

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Just started watching the video, getting a little audio skipping. Is it the source file or on my end?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm starting to think that there's something weird going on with this town!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kase moch posted:

Just started watching the video, getting a little audio skipping. Is it the source file or on my end?

Whereabouts? I'm not hearing anything but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

CJacobs posted:

Whereabouts? I'm not hearing anything but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.

For example, at 0:51 on "the", and 1:24 on "don't". There's not a horrendous amount of it; only happens about a dozen times throughout the video.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason for the bug monster? I guess you could explain the lizard by reading the story and the whole situation being some kind of subconscious horror thing (just speculation, I've only ever played Silent Hill 2) and the dogs and birds could be reasonably expected in a town - but where the hell does the giant insect come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

anilEhilated posted:

Is there a reason for the bug monster? I guess you could explain the lizard by reading the story and the whole situation being some kind of subconscious horror thing (just speculation, I've only ever played Silent Hill 2) and the dogs and birds could be reasonably expected in a town - but where the hell does the giant insect come from?
There are reasons for all the SH1 monsters, but going into detail would be spoilers.

• Locked thread