Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tindalos posted:

I think it's mentioned during a conversation with Cybil on the carousel, if you save her.

Crap!

Well I guess we're just gonna have to do a second playthrough of the game with much more relaxed commentary but an overall quicker pace to examine the deeper meaning and story and this time get the Good+ ending then, aren't we! How crazy would it be if that happened!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Is anyone else seeing this?:horse:

placid saviour fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 11, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

placid saviour posted:

Is anyone else seeing this?:horse:

edit: can't get the image to load because I suck. It's Dahlia saying "the time is neigh".

That hilarious typo is a legacy typo, too! It has never been fixed in any re-release of the game in 20 years.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Huh, they played the demon god straight. With all the recurring hospital visits, the lack of directly interacting with his daughter, the friendlyish ghost kids, and the opener with the school full of murder children I was expecting to find out Harry's wife died in childbirth or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

Huh, they played the demon god straight. With all the recurring hospital visits, the lack of directly interacting with his daughter, the friendlyish ghost kids, and the opener with the school full of murder children I was expecting to find out Harry's wife died in childbirth or something.

Nah, it's the future games where people are secretly crazy or the truth is being covered up.

Like I said, Silent Hill 2 set the tone so much for the series that the first game is a little weird by comparison.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, the truth was being covered up. Dahlia was lying to Harry the entire game to trick him and there was a terrible secret at the center of everything.

But yeah, in SH1, everything actually has a pretty concrete explanation where you're in someone else's nightmare and there really is a dark, evil god at the center of all of it with a cult.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Night10194 posted:

I mean, the truth was being covered up. Dahlia was lying to Harry the entire game to trick him and there was a terrible secret at the center of everything.

But yeah, in SH1, everything actually has a pretty concrete explanation where you're in someone else's nightmare and there really is a dark, evil god at the center of all of it with a cult.

It's a twist, but a normal twist. It doesn't really make the entire game mean something totally different if you know the secret.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Those are some bizarre credits I don't remember at all.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That jelly bean explosion is why I always open sealed plastic bags like that with scissors. That was a weird moment of surreal comedy, really. Slogging through the rusty hell of Silent Hill's otherworld until "Ooh - jelly beans!". But then *pop* *clatter* and all the jelly beans disappear through the omnipresent grated floor. Poor Harry.

I swear I remember hearing somewhere ages ago that the final boss is set to die on your last shot. As in it doesn't matter how many times you shoot it, it's always the last bullet that kills it. That didn't seem to be the case in the video, though... Maybe it's just a fail-safe in case the player turns up to the fight without enough ammo? Is there anything to that? Maybe I'm just completely mis-remembering.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the other games again. SH2 is where they really got going, especially in the story department. I've never really found the cult storyline in SH1 and SH3 to be all that interesting. A demon-worshipping cult trying to perform some dark ritual, ho-hum. SH2's story was a bit of a game-changer at the time, and SH4 is weird and creepy top to bottom, which I appreciate.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're half-right, if you go into the fight with no ammo or use it all without killing the boss, it'll just die after a couple minutes of dodging the lightning. Reason being, you can't hit it with melee attacks, it's floating too high for even the hammer to hit it. Interestingly, future games don't have that conceit because you can beat 2, 3, and 4 without firing a single shot!

And yeah, I love the jelly beans thing, it's such a middle finger to poor Dad.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Not to derail too much, but as a Silent Hill fanboy, I was terribly, terribly disappointed by Homecoming. Well, at least the combat, which in my opinion was everything that was awful from 4, distilled into a pure poo poo extract. Constantly being stunlocked by nurses and other mobs was no fun at all. I did enjoy the story, however. I also really enjoyed Downpour, which divided fans iirc.

2 is still my favorite, hands-down. The first game in the series was special, but the sequel polished everything that was good and made it great. I'll always remember Angela walking away saying "for me, it's always like this."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CJacobs posted:

I wasn't gonna make a story video for this one like I did with The Evil Within, because I feel like the game pretty much spells it all out. But if it's still confusing after this explanation, I guess I can to really clear things up.
I have no idea where you got half of this information. Like, I recognise bits of it from what I saw, but the connections between those bits just didn't seem to be present anywhere.

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, the whole game seemed to be suggesting that Harry was an extremely unreliable narrator, to the point that the ending feels wrong. Like, "no, this is what Harry thinks is happening, where's the real ending that actually explains everything?"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

I have no idea where you got half of this information. Like, I recognise bits of it from what I saw, but the connections between those bits just didn't seem to be present anywhere.

Yeah, the whole game seemed to be suggesting that Harry was an extremely unreliable narrator, to the point that the ending feels wrong. Like, "no, this is what Harry thinks is happening, where's the real ending that actually explains everything?"

I mean... That's kinda silent hill. It's s town that replaces hardwood with metal grate on the reg. Dude found a baby with half a child sacrifice soul in it and after a visit with Gramma gets a do-over. I get how that's suspended disbelief shattering, but that's what happened brother.

Stick around, I think you'll like one of the other endings.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

In order:

CJacobs posted:

In the meantime, basically, Alessa Gillespie was sacrificed by a religious cult (headed by her mother) to birth their God, but they screwed up and she didn't die in the resulting fire. She was imbued with this strange dark energy that allowed her to split her soul in two, creating a little girl who was one day found on the side of the road by our boy Harry. He raises this Road Baby like his own daughter until she's seven-ish years old.

This happened before the game's events but we see the immediate effects of it, and Dahlia speaks of said ritual in the final conversation we witnessed in Alessa's sickroom near the end. She also talks of their original plan just before we fight the final boss.

CJacobs posted:

They go to Silent Hill on vacation only to end up with their car crashed and trapped in the town which appears to have been swallowed up by darkness. A key point of note is that coming to Silent Hill was Cheryl's idea- Harry goes along with it because he agrees that they need some time away from home to get over the recent death of his wife. That last part is not mentioned in the game outright, though it is mentioned in the manual (lol), but you can still infer it from the splash intro.

As I said here, that info isn't given in the game itself, not like it really matters- it's just a way to reinforce that Cheryl was drawn back to Alessa, and that coming to Silent Hill wasn't Harry's idea.

CJacobs posted:

Harry spends most of the game trying to find Cheryl, but he's too late- Dahlia Gillespie's plan is to rejoin the two halves of Alessa's soul and try birthing God again now that she's come of age. To stop this, Alessa (now basically a ghost in the system) placed a number of magical seals around the town to stop the Otherworld from breaking out, but Harry unwittingly seals her power away by carrying around the Flauros (the rubik's pyramid) and allows the ritual to succeed.

We directly see this happen a couple times: First, in the school, most importantly at the top of the lighthouse, and at a few other locations. We also witness the Flauros sap Alessa's power so Dahlia can complete the ritual, it happened in the Amusement Park area. In the boathouse cutscene, Dahlia outright lies to Harry and says the magical seals are actually bringing on the dark instead of suppressing it, causing him to accidentally do her bidding.

CJacobs posted:

He puts a stop to it by shooting God many times with a hunting rifle, with the assistance of new friend Doctor Kaufmann, who uses a substance called Aglaophotis to purge the darkness from the creature and render it vulnerable. Then, Alessa reincarnates once again just like when she split her soul in half before, and Harry takes the Baby Of +1 Mysteriousness and absconds.

We read about Aglaophotis and its effects in the hospital, there was a note describing PTV and other substances that could be created by the White Claudia plant. Kaufmann retrieved the bottle of Aglaophotis after we found it at the end of the sidequest hidden inside the motorcycle. The rest of this happens right in front of our eyes so I dunno if I need to cite anything.

CJacobs posted:

edit: And underneath all this there's PTV, a drug that circulates around Silent Hill in secret and is distributed to its citizens and enjoyed for its hallucinogenic effects. It was used mostly among members of the fanatical cult, who saw visions of Alessa reborn into God and the Otherworld (the darkness surrounding the town) when they used it. Whether it actually is a gateway into the dark, to allow people to see the hell beneath the surface of Silent Hill, is left ambiguous. What's important is that PTV and the flower used to make it are also the main ingredient in Aglaophotis- it allows people to see the dark world, but also to fight its dark energy.

All of this was, again, in the hospital- but there were also the notes found at the police station and in the Indian Runner shop where we came across some PTV. Lisa also mentions seeing really bad poo poo while under the influence of PTV so we can assume that she saw the Otherworld just like the religious nuts.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 12, 2017

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
The music when the god emerges is maybe the grungiest, most awful cacophony in all of gaming. I love it. It's also kind of charming that it's literally just Baphomet.

In the hallway ghost scene, Dahlia mentions Alessa having powers even before she was sacrificed and burned. Was that ever delved into or was she just destined for that role?

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Personally I love the fact that the hanging corpse-buddy following us through the entire game shows up in a picture in the Nowhere version of Dahlia's house.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I remember reading somewhere some theory that Lisa was the one who took reincarnated Alyessa (Cheryl) and stuck her by the side of the road. And immediately went back because of the hold the town has on her. Which was drugs.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The music that plays when Alessa gives you the baby was always one of my favourite pieces from the soundtrack, but for some reason, it's never shown up on any of the official OSTs (unless it's on that huge compilation that covers the entire series, I've never gone through it thoroughly). Lisa coming to claim Kaufmann will always be my favourite moment though: so much unspoken, but from what little we know, it's all made clear what happened.

Night10194 posted:

I mean I'm the weirdo who liked Silent Hill 4 a ton and doesn't like 3 much, so tastes vary a lot in these games.

If it makes you feel better, I'm the weirdo who likes 3 more than 2. Let us both sit in the Ditch Of Bad Opinions.

bman in 2288 posted:

I remember reading somewhere some theory that Lisa was the one who took reincarnated Alyessa (Cheryl) and stuck her by the side of the road. And immediately went back because of the hold the town has on her. Which was drugs.

Yeah, it's assumed that her leaving the baby by the roadside was what caused the argument between her and Kaufmann in the intro (and what eventually led to her death, with the doctor likely being her murderer).

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Psychepath posted:

The music when the god emerges is maybe the grungiest, most awful cacophony in all of gaming. I love it. It's also kind of charming that it's literally just Baphomet.

In the hallway ghost scene, Dahlia mentions Alessa having powers even before she was sacrificed and burned. Was that ever delved into or was she just destined for that role?

Why Alessa has magic powers is never explained that I know of, but the "Monster Lurks" memo from back in the school is clearly talking about her and what she's doing to the town. So it's possible she's some psychic in a world where psychics exist but are usually much lower key, with the town/the cult and their weirdness possibly amplifying her powers from the get-go.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I think my favorite thing is the stats at the end.

Walked: 3.9km
Ran: 9.35km

HARRY WHAT THE HELL MAN

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He has the lungs of a champion! Dahlia wasn't counting on the fact that Harry apparently ran cross country in high school.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Speaking of Dahlia... It's kind of surprising we don't find out who Alyssa's birth father is. Then again, do you want to know who would willingly impregnate Dahlia?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

bman in 2288 posted:

Speaking of Dahlia... It's kind of surprising we don't find out who Alyssa's birth father is. Then again, do you want to know who would willingly impregnate Dahlia?

It's Pyramid Head, duh

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

bman in 2288 posted:

Somewhere half a country away a fat, greasy trucker has a really weird feeling.

"Why do I suddenly keep thinking of the crazy chick I barebacked in that shithole town 14 years ago, and why does it seem like such a terrible idea in retrospect?"

He finishes his beer in one big swig.

"Eh, it's probably nothing."

Absentmindedly, he scratches his crotch.

Ninjaedit: I have no idea of the game's story, but it would be really funny if Silent Hill: Homecoming had you play as the trucker. I know it's some average-looking dude in a plaid (?) shirt and baseball cap.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're thinking of my (10-4) good buddy Travis from Silent Hill: Origins. He has a cameo appearance in Homecoming though. Here he is looking at the Rubik's Pyramid in very appropriate confusion.

Not to spoil anything about the guy but his story is pretty integral to this game's. We will eventually get there! I'll be playing it on PS2 instead of PSP because while I own neither of those, the PS2 version is much higher definition.

The game order I'm going to be following will go 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> Origins -> Homecoming -> Downpour. At the moment I don't have any plans to play Shattered Memories because I'd have to dig out my Wii and it's in a box very deep in my closet, but we'll see as time goes on. I probably will be LPing these games for the next couple years of my life on and off so it's no big deal if I change my mind at some point!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 13, 2017

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
In my skul-gun, they used to have a cube puzzle, but everyone was on too much PTV to work the thing, so they switched to a pyramid puzzle, which is honestly a pretty rubbish puzzle, but at least easy to operate even for people caught within the throes of apotheotic ecstasy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They should have a Silent Hill game where the Flauros is mounted on a chain and the protagonist wears it around their neck. When faced with a tough fight or puzzle, an ancient spirit possesses the hero to aid him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I actually liked Shattered Memories a hell of a lot, so I'd love to see that done eventually. Probably my favorite use of the Wiimote too, waving it around as a flashlight and sometimes cellphone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I saw a very good explanation of how the town functions in Silent Hill:

It hates Harry and is just passive-aggressively annoying him with stupid puzzles.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I know that Downpour wasn't all that well-received, but I enjoyed it. It struck me as being a good balance of combat (which still sucked), exploration and innovation, much moreso than Homecoming. The run sequences can suck a big ol' donkey dong though. I was glad for one Easter egg in particular, too.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I think 3 and Downpour are the only two games I've actually played myself. I'm in total agreement about the running sequences in Downpour; they suck. I liked the rest of the game well enough, but goddamn.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Late to the party on this (only finished episode 2) but I'm really enjoying your LP of this. I tried playing it on my PS3 earlier this week but found it ridiculously stressful and didn't get beyond the school - surprised myself as I played SH2 and every Resident Evil game without any problems! Something about the low polygonal detail and the grinding industrial score makes my reptile brain go unto panic mode I guess.

Anyway it's nice to be able to experience the game without having to play it and I appreciate how you're taking care not to break the game or talk over the cutscenes.

Are you doing SH2 and 3 as well?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will be, yes! I'll also be recording the second half of this lp pretty soon, probably this weekend, so that'll be fun.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm only two videos into this and am a big fat scaredy cat that can only stand to watch Silent Hill be played and can't play it himself, but...

Why does it annoy the poo poo out of me that you don't just swing your lead pipe at small enemies?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't worry, you'll get your fill of me swinging things at things! But also, Dirty Harry shouldn't bother you all that much because I have 100 pistol bullets pretty consistently and I kill most of the stuff in my way :sweatdrop:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's one of things where you don't have to aim and there's a certain satisfaction to beating the poo poo out of monsters with a pipe. But the game dumps ammo on you like every day is Christmas. Silent Hill was made to let you win boss fights right away if you are totally out of ammo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's sort of manufactured to be in direct opposition to Resident Evil. In Resident Evil you're intended to carefully pick and choose what you want to kill, because anything you take out may come back to bite you in the rear end later (literally) when crimson heads start showing up. The mansion is huge, so you're going to be running around it a lot, but through clever routing you can avoid most fights with some juking.

In Silent Hill 1, areas are much smaller and more confined, so you're intended to kill pretty much everything in your way. There's no way to avoid the vast majority of the enemies. They don't respawn until later games and even in them the timer on that is very generous, but new ones do show up as you run around. The monster population grows as you go on in an area until it's time for you to leave, and it's very impressive for the PS1, but also gets quite crowded!

If you don't kill anything, the school for example becomes pretty jam packed with monsters before it's time to leave. That hallway where I ran into four of the children at once only happened because I didn't kill the two that were already in there. Which is why, come the hospital, I've started killing basically everything, because the other areas work the same way.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Weren't crimson heads only in the REmake?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, darn, you're right. Well, crimson heads aside, the point still stands that RE is more focused around juking enemies and route optimization because you can't carry a whole lot of stuff with you. Fighting everything in your way in the classic games is a good way to run out of ammo and then have to fight giant spiders with your knife and good luck with that. In Silent Hill they just let you carry as much stuff as you can find and allow you to walk into hell with a pistol, shotgun, rifle, chainsaw, katana, alien laser blaster, you name it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Oh, darn, you're right. Well, crimson heads aside, the point still stands that RE is more focused around juking enemies and route optimization because you can't carry a whole lot of stuff with you. Fighting everything in your way in the classic games is a good way to run out of ammo and then have to fight giant spiders with your knife and good luck with that. In Silent Hill they just let you carry as much stuff as you can find and allow you to walk into hell with a pistol, shotgun, rifle, chainsaw, katana, alien laser blaster, you name it.

I got confused with this because in one of the earlier videos you mentioned the pistol ammo being extremely front loaded in the game, and then proceeded to rarely use it throughout the entire school (I'm only up to episode 4). Is there any risk of just running dry if you try to kill everything in sight?

• Locked thread