Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Which nerd will prove themselves to be more right in this little boring argument over semantics? Stay tuned!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Seltzer posted:

Really hoping for two more pages of discussion on what defines and open world game

it's giving me an existential crisis.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Dewgy posted:

This isn’t true though, the AC games didn’t have a single all-encompassing map until AC Black Flag.

Even Black Flag had tons of zone loading screens too. Every major port/city was it's own map separate from the main overworld.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ryoga posted:

Even Black Flag had tons of zone loading screens too. Every major port/city was it's own map separate from the main overworld.

Was this just the Xbox 360/PS3 versions? I don't really recall noticing this on PS4.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What does everyone expect from the iD showcase tomorrow?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quake reboot :hehe:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

In retrospect the id@xbox branding is kind of unfortunate now that Microsoft owns ID software.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Lammasu posted:

Quake or new Doom announcement

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Commander Keen reboot

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
for the record I was talking about the indie game showcase on IGN.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kevyn posted:

Commander Keen reboot

This is cursed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpneMd8xTFw

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes is out. This is a spiritual successor to Suikoden I've been looking forward too(not to be confused with the action game, Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising).

Manor Lords is out too. A great week for Gamepass.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's crazy cause like... Zero percent of the people who the Commander Keen brand appeals to, are interested in this game. There is simply no overlap. What the gently caress were they thinking.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

antidote posted:

It's crazy cause like... Zero percent of the people who the Commander Keen brand appeals to, are interested in this game. There is simply no overlap. What the gently caress were they thinking.

It’s like Legends of Zork. You know what Zork fans would love? An idle clicker browser game with microtransactions! No way it’ll fail!

(it lasted slightly over two years and was shut down immediately with no warning from the devs or publisher)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

antidote posted:

Thankfully they read the room and canceled that game. It just took a while to get there.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Goddamn, Jedi Survivor is a loving piece of buggy trash the likes of which I've not experienced since DEREK SMART'S DESKTOP COMMANDER

Out of video memory errors right as it boots up, when the logos are showing (running on a 4090, I thought 24gb of vram would be enough). I tried a bunch of "fixes" suggested by the internet at large, including messing with virtual memory (which did nothing afaik), disabling XMP, etc.

What finally fixed it? The suggestion to "just keep starting it up and when it crashes, run it again until you get to the start menu, it will probably work after that". holy poo poo piss, yup just double click that icon 15 times and maybe it'll run, it's the quality I've come to expect from Lucasfilm games/Respawn entertainment

So, finally could start up a game, getting into it, and then it crashes in the middle of a double jump, about 20 minutes in.

Do the whole thing again, restart the game a bunch of times until it feels like doing something. I get a little further this time, crash again in the middle of a good looking cutscene. Repeat. Unlock a skill, run around a bit finding things, hey this is alright, crash, back to before when I earned the skill. I repeated this twice, then decided to manually save before doing the same sequence. This time it let me move further. Just enough to crash again like 5 minutes later.

I've not been so mad/disappointed at a game in a long, long time, in a galaxy far far away. what a way to waste my Sunday

I think it hurts more because I've been fed up with all these Star Wars for a while, and this time I was sort of excited to try one again :argh: it's a tragedy of PC Gaming because I liked the previous game, and the little I could play of this game looks pretty great, but what a mess. Who is responsible for this? Bring them to me

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
You are responsible, for not playing on Xbox

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

elf help book posted:

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Dewgy posted:

It’s like Legends of Zork. You know what Zork fans would love? An idle clicker browser game with microtransactions! No way it’ll fail!

(it lasted slightly over two years and was shut down immediately with no warning from the devs or publisher)

Now that I finally got the Captain Comic rights, I can make the game it was always intended to be - a gritty 3rd person extraction shooter with micro transactions.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

elf help book posted:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The only annoyance I have with Jedi survivor is it seems to do the compiling shaders every time, shouldn’t they just do it once??

Otherwise it is fairly solid and looks and plays well on a 3080Ti on ultrawide.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

elf help book posted:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Goddamn, Jedi Survivor is a loving piece of buggy trash the likes of which I've not experienced since DEREK SMART'S DESKTOP COMMANDER

Out of video memory errors right as it boots up, when the logos are showing (running on a 4090, I thought 24gb of vram would be enough). I tried a bunch of "fixes" suggested by the internet at large, including messing with virtual memory (which did nothing afaik), disabling XMP, etc.

What finally fixed it? The suggestion to "just keep starting it up and when it crashes, run it again until you get to the start menu, it will probably work after that". holy poo poo piss, yup just double click that icon 15 times and maybe it'll run, it's the quality I've come to expect from Lucasfilm games/Respawn entertainment

So, finally could start up a game, getting into it, and then it crashes in the middle of a double jump, about 20 minutes in.

Do the whole thing again, restart the game a bunch of times until it feels like doing something. I get a little further this time, crash again in the middle of a good looking cutscene. Repeat. Unlock a skill, run around a bit finding things, hey this is alright, crash, back to before when I earned the skill. I repeated this twice, then decided to manually save before doing the same sequence. This time it let me move further. Just enough to crash again like 5 minutes later.

I've not been so mad/disappointed at a game in a long, long time, in a galaxy far far away. what a way to waste my Sunday

I think it hurts more because I've been fed up with all these Star Wars for a while, and this time I was sort of excited to try one again :argh: it's a tragedy of PC Gaming because I liked the previous game, and the little I could play of this game looks pretty great, but what a mess. Who is responsible for this? Bring them to me

Why did you post in the Xbox console thread

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Works on my machine, op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Seltzer posted:

Really hoping for two more pages of discussion on what defines and open world game

coping world game

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Which Xbox? Do you mean Xbox, the all-in-one entertainment system, or Xbox on PC?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

kri kri posted:

Cos it's also the game pass thread.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

kri kri posted:

I got the Xbox GamePass and it makes any PC an Xbox

edit: Although checking the OP it does say for microsoft Consoles, so not sure if there's a GamePass PC specific thread... Anyway :shrug:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
we should make this the thread for gaming storefronts generally, and merge it with the steam thread imo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I use an xbox elite controller while on my pc running windows and playing game pass games!

Plus I have a series X but I don't use it a lot really.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I was let down by the jedi game, I don't know why but I was expecting something more. People say its slightly souls like but the combat didn't feel that good and just felt kina Ubisoftish

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Think I might download remnant and gently caress around with that.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The crab souls game is better than the jedi souls game.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

External Organs posted:

Think I might download remnant and gently caress around with that.

Instead I played more Cocoon, man this game is good. Puts me in such a great state of mind. I think it's almost over. I've got four orbs and we just blasted some weird guy.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Seltzer posted:

The crab souls game is better than the jedi souls game.

I turned the don't lose souls assist on and I'm enjoying it more probably. I like the areas so far, cool being under the sea.

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 29, 2024

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Lammasu posted:

There's a thing?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Lysandus posted:

There's a thing?

There is indeed a thing!

I'm looking forward to it, not because of a specific game or announcement, but because I like these showcases.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would like more Doom maps, also Quake maps if they have them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

we should make this the thread for gaming storefronts generally, and merge it with the steam thread imo

merge it with the PS5 thread 😈😈😈