Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Side stepping more Elden Rings chat, I'm planning on grabbing a Series S. My main goal is to just have a box to play new games on, preferably with friends. Looking at Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, maybe Cyberpunk 2077, stuff like that.

I don't have a 4k TV and don't use a TV enough to plan to get one any time soon. The Series S doesn't have an optical drive but that's fine because I'm largely interested in gamepass and a few select games to keep around.

Is there anything I'm missing? I know the Series S is less powerful but I don't really care outside "will it play the games I want at a playable (30FPS imo) framerate with friends on the couch?"

It seems suited for people like me who might casually play games, but aren't regular gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It has a TINY amount of storage if that’s of concern

512GB right? Even the larger games I play are maybe 150-200GB at most, and I only usually play a couple games at a time.

I also have a bunch of USB3.0 external SSDs, I was working on the assumption that like the PS4 Pro etc I could install a game or two to one of those for games I play sometimes but not often?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I live in Australia and the Series X and PS5 aren't possible to get a hold of. And the S to X price difference is double. I'm not interested enough in games to wait for stuff to appear and scamper off to get it, or to pay scalping prices.

If I don't get a Series S then it will be a long, long time before any next gen stuff will be playable for me.

I'm playing games on an ASUS Zenbook with onboard graphics right now and it doesn't really worry me. I'm also broken in that my "playable performance" frame rate is basically 20FPS before I get annoyed. So unless we get games that simply refuse to run on a Series S I don't think it'll be a problem.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My housemate and I use my Series S so much that we're gonna buy a second one just to be able to do stuff on it at the same time. Haven't missed physical media at all.

Realising just how much poo poo is on gamepass I haven't gotten around to playing, like Hitman, or the port of Monster Hunter Rise (I don't own a Switch so I am glad it got ported). Hi Fi Rush looks awesome, I also highly suggest people play Robo Quest because it is a fun as hell roguelite shooter.

I for one am pumped for Redfall. It's Borderlands by Arkane, with a touch of TF2 artstyle in there. I enjoyed Tiny Tina's but was let down when they abandoned any further development to improve it, and have been itching for more co-op looter shooter stuff.

I have absolutely no interest in replaying Goldeneye. I had fond memories as a kid, I want to keep it that way.

Atomic Heart, Starfield (maybe!), and Redfall are more than enough games to entertain me, but there's so much more coming out that I will absolutely be keen for, and also a tonne out now I haven't touched.

Xbox really is winning.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Of course Gamepass reduces sales, people aren't gonna buy a game they can currently play for free. If they really like it they'll probably buy it in case it goes off Gamepass, but otherwise why would you?

Conversely, developers get paid to put games on Gamepass. That's the tradeoff. Lump sum to put on Gamepass for X amount of time. As long as the payout is equal or more than the amount of lost sales then it doesn't really matter.

It's kind of like saying that shows on Netflix have lost DVD sales.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My housemate has been playing Atomic Heart and my takeaway is that they wanted to make mini games but needed a way to connect them, hence the rest of the game.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'll give it a try but I ain't paying for it lol

What confuses me is that personally if they only had time to make either a 30FPS pretty mode or a 60FPS still pretty mode why not always go with the 60FPS one that is basically as nice?

Whenever I see games that are have switchable modes it seems no one ever uses the "quality" mode besides screenshots.

I have a Series S but every game effected seems just as hosed on the Series X so I don't think that's the problem unlike that one dev said.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's like PC games where a regular rear end computer can run it on normal-high but you need to invest $5k at least to run everything on max. And no one but you can even really tell the difference. They just ask if the game is fun. And you say no, it's Cyberpunk at release.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It looks like Borderlands with the Dishonoured art style and won't cost me anything. I look forward to being disappointed... For free~~

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Every time I hear about Ubisoft+ I wonder what games do they exactly have? It's basically:
- Asscreeds
- Tom Clancy's
- Settlers
- Anno
- Far cry
- other games no one talks about
- petz horsez 2

I guess Assassin's Creed and the Clancy's are a draw for people but I don't see any reason to not just buy the three games you like over paying US$18 every month. Especially given how a lot of games in the series' end up being mild iterations of the last one, which means just buy the latest one.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
US$18 for some Creeds and Clancy's, wow what a great deal! It includes all those Clancy's, because the older ones that are multiplayer focused are for sure still viable to play!

It's a wild time when EA adds value to gamepass in plenty of smaller ways, and Ubisoft thinks their three series are worth more than gamepass itself.

Redfall is dropping soon tho, so we got that to try! :v: 30FPS or not I'll give it a whirl. I still have a tonne of games to play from gamepass anyway, and more and more the big AAA games are doing nothing for me.

Starfield will be my beautiful disaster highlight of the year I think. I'm excited.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My housemate played Atomic Heart and it was basically linear corridors and rooms underground for 90%, then a brief foray into an open world whose main point was to get you to more underground bunkers.

Also she said the end of the game has enough little lore bits to ruin any of the world building she liked at that point lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I feel confident about this one, I think Starfield will for sure launch in September. It's going to receive massive critical acclaim and sell extremely well, but will have a lot of obvious bugs/glitches, and its handcrafted gameplay parts won't be as big as people would like or were hoping for, and it will all be spread out pretty thin cause there are 1000 planets you can visit. That, or it will all be contained to a small handful of planets, and the rest will be procedural generated content, and places where you can set down and build your own outposts.

This is what I'm expecting, pretty much. Skyrim in space, for all that entails. I'll play that trash relentlessly.

Also like one more day til redfall is out, excited to see how good and/or bad it is!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm gonna give it a whirl, but given the responses I'm wondering why they felt so strict on the weird release schedule lol. Like if it was released yesterday at the same time globally it wouldn't have changed anything.

I think my biggest personal gripe is there's no split screen co-op. Come on, geez. Altho after how Gearbox did BL3's split screen, maybe it's for the best. Speaking of, my standards for this game are pretty low to be enjoyable, since I'm (happily) playing BL3 with my housemate and we're having a great time.

Just need loots, shoots, and feel fun. So I look forward to coming back here and letting everyone know if it doesn't meet the bare minimum requirements lol

Edit: I also have leeway in that I don't need this game to be "innovative" or game changing because it's just a looter shooter come on, not every game needs to innovate. This has become a really loving weird standard "journalists" seem to have.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

lol they’re just watching character videos now. They won’t even play their own game on stream :v:

You know there's fun games on gamepass and Xbox too right? You don't have to spend your time with the bad one, it's true. I don't understand being so invested in a bad game you're watching a stream of the devs looking at their character stream.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I played a bit of Redfall. I will say upfront I do not give the slightest gently caress about graphic fidelity, so it being subpar for a AAA is not a factor at all for me.

From what I played my biggest problem is probably that the gunplay needs tweaking. The weapons have recoil, kind of, but also not really feeling like they have feedback? They do enough damage and they seem fine, but the lack of feeling makes it a bit lackluster. Also the aiming sensitivity and deadzones need tweaking. I honestly think this is something they could actually achieve pretty easily and issue in a patch.

Combat otherwise is pretty nice I feel. Feels fast and dangerous, altho on the regular difficulty it wasn't like "oh I'm dying all the time forever" but it was satisfyingly deadly.

Animations can be janky for sure. Climbing down ladders seems to be the worst culprit.

A lot of buildings but not actually "too many", and the lack of being able to scout out most of them felt disappointing. The ones I could go through also felt a bit lackluster, maybe some supplies and ammo. Didn't really feel super worthwhile at least in the amount I played. I loved the openness and verticality of the environment, I like what they did there.

Weirdly I didn't experience any AI weirdness, but I am going to count that as a good roll of the dice. I've seen enough from others to know I just got lucky.

I feel like it'll be more fun in co-op purely because having someone else to talk poo poo with always makes any game better. It also really needs a patch pronto because there's so much very basic stuff that just needs adjustments, but combined makes the whole thing feel iffy. If you're making a shooter then prioritising the feeling of gunplay should really be a priority.

It's on gamepass, I'll play with my housemate and see how it goes co-op but right now it is 100% not worth actually buying. Maybe in a patch or two, but also not at the hilarious price they're asking. But I have gamepass for other games, so as a no cost thing for me I'll give it a proper go.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Some other notes:
- combat is actually pretty good once you get into the flow, and the weirdly floaty movement reminds me a lot of Borderlands. Layla's lift ability really leans into it too
- bunch of empty buildings with so many things to grab that just give you supplies is not great as is, but then a few houses that actually tell stories or are interesting make the disparity even more severe
- what do you even spend supplies on? Some lockpicks if you're out I guess? God knows it isn't worth getting guns when random stuff found is just as good
- speaking of, guns remain relevant almost dangerously to the point of once you find ones you like you automatically scrap everything else because an extra 5% range doesn't really matter, for several levels minimum
- I appreciate that guns are distinct models with perks, that is nice, and getting the feel for what I like is easier
- but the perks are the level of pointless of most Borderlands guns. +10% crit damage, or bonus stagger. Not terribly exciting
- graphics aside I love the environment tho, it makes for engaging shooties
- there's a lot of blank spaces I feel were intending to have more than some supplies and a gun, like full on detailed areas, why?
- I'm weirdly enjoying it
- I don't think I'd spend money on it

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think the best and funniest thing they could do is automatically refund retail sales, but leave it on gamepass. Just make it a gamepass only game.

It will make so many people mad for so many reasons and that would rule.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

It's the option that would piss off drat near everyone and therefore the funniest possible option, duh.

Edit: in reference to Redfall, in case that wasn't clear.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know if you've noticed that people are already very mad and unhappy with the game, there have been many angry things said. So at this point, it would be funny to see them double down and do something dumber and piss off more people with bad decisions. In for a penny.

I could also be using hyperbole and not actually wanting that to happen but no, this is actually 100% what I want, for Bethesda to remove all retail copies and not fix the game at all. That is definitely what I want.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
One of the best things about gamepass is I have it for games I actually want to play and know I will enjoy, and for games like Redfall it works as a free demo. Being able to play and subsequently buy games like Hades, Hi-Fi Rush, Slay the Spire or Anthem (I kid) is loving rad and there's also a bunch of games that I play, enjoy, but wouldn't probably play again. Gamepass rules hard.

For games like Redfall there was no way in hell I was going to buy the drat thing without playing it first. Same goes for Starfield. Gamepass got me to try it, which is good for the devs I guess, and assured me to not pay for it, which is probably not as good.

Weirdly tho I'm kind of enjoying it, but I also didn't expect too much. I expect co-op will be better too. And when I get bored, uninstall, call it good. Or in my case, quit the cloud gaming instance, because that works really well too.

Part of me wonders if the AU$120 price tag for the base game was to encourage people on gamepass honestly. But that would be dumb. "Hey try out this service, you can get mediocre games even cheaper!"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

welcome posted:

The 1000 GB vampire Far Cry game was bad?! No..,NO!

Look, I wanna just say it feels way more like the random wandering you do in Fallout 4 than Far Cry. I don't know if I'm defending the game with this statement, but it does remind me a lot of "walk to ruined house, get random junk, maybe shoot a dude, leave and repeat."

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Haven't played it, so I'm not sure what "the usual modern game poo poo" is, but I'm assuming poo poo like a battle pass, crafting, awful gunplay, prestiging etc.

There's no battle pass, crafting or prestiging at all. Come on, there's a lot to complain about with the game but just guessing and pulling things out of air is loving weird as hell.

Either there will be a patch or two soon that fixes a bunch of stuff or the game will be forgotten in a month. I'd be pissed if I preordered, but I don't pre-order so it isn't a lot of love lost.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I know a lot of people that hate looter shooters for very valid reasons. Often the same reasons I enjoy them weirdly. But if you don't like them then probably stay away from any and all of them imo, because they're all gonna feel like what they are.

I love looter shooters like Borderlands, Destiny, Outriders, etc. I also play games for specific reasons, and they tickle that part of brain relaxation I'm wanting best.

All that said, Redfall needs a lot of work, but would be perfectly serviceable game for that genre. It's never gonna be amazing I think, and definitely not worth the money asked, but if it gets the fixes and stuff it needs it'll be fine. Redfall makes more sense as a weird "Fallout 4/Borderlands" game, just throw away all the ideas of immersive sim (whatever that vague and dumb label means) or a stealth based game, and all that stuff.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
"Elder Scrolls games suck!" I scream as I install it for the 29th time for another play through.

Also tbh if the Series X is Starfield on High detail settings and the S is on Medium then that's fine, and what I expect. What kind of whiny baby would give a poo poo?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Cyberpunk is weirdly okay now, hot take. It isn't what everyone expected from the hype, but it's a pretty fun open world in itself imo. Definitely understandable that people are still pissed tho.

I'm keeping an eye on what happens with Redfall. No Man's Sky is the most prominent, but not only, example of a game that can be totally, utterly trash at release to become something brilliant. But it requires a lot of dedication, commitment and care from the devs to do so.

No Man's Sky is an amazing game at this point, as long as you vibe with the genre, and is so far from what it was at release, and honestly I feel it lives up to what they showed initially at E3.

Final Fantasy (11 I think) I another example. No game is really unsalvagable or irreparable, but the devs have to want to make it good. For most companies, well, that isn't worth it. Which is a shame. Redfall may be disappointing, but I disagree with everyone who says it could never be fixed. A lot of the game could be improved vastly with a proper patch or two. AI etc needs a lot more, but a lot is imminently fixable.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I mean, you say that with the power of hindsight, but when those games came out people said the same thing about them.

A good open world looter shooter. If that's what Redfall is aiming for I don't think it's anywhere near impossible to do. If you don't like looter shooters then yeah, you'll always hate it. But I'm a fan of the genre, and I can easily see it getting to the point of being worthwhile.

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands was also capable of being Really Good(TM) but after the obligatory DLC they dropped support and work, and it will never get there. A tale as old as time.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'd rather pay for Gamepass than get a small trickle of points and no Gamepass.

My problem with Gamepass is I keep getting overwhelmed and having decision paralysis with how many games are on it I want to play.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Apparently we (Australia) have terrible internet but like half the time I play games outside of the handful I have installed it is through cloud gaming. There's little hiccups sometimes, but not often enough to put me off. It works great.

If I know I'm gonna play the hell out of a game I'll install it, but otherwise I just cloud stream most of the games I play. It's nice.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Oh yeah, I use wifi and everything as well. I guess if you're playing a competitive shooter it might be an issue but at that point why would you be in that situation?

For any other game cloud gaming is so good. I've been playing a bunch of No Man's Sky again because come on, I don't even install it. Just hit the button and go.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hypothetically, I'd Microsoft said "alright gently caress you then" and said they were pulling out of the UK and focusing on all the other markets, what is the extent?

Like, would it be the Xbox division specifically or would Microsoft as a whole have to cease operating in the UK? I'm not well versed in international law in this area (for some reason) and would appreciate knowing what the funniest possible outcome would be.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Lol at people being mad at the Series S because of "my graphics :qq:"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I still blame the S for Gotham Knights

Wasn't that game bad in the X as well?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That... Doesn't sound like a series S problem then? Just sounds like bad development :shrug:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Gamer elitism and console warring is dumb AF. I prefer some games on PC, some on console, it's all good, games are fun. Right now I have an Xbox because I like the games that are on it, and it's the series S because I don't really give a poo poo about 4k and other nerd poo poo. Just buy the box with the games you want, that's the important bit.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Could you imagine Morrowind remastered with new graphics properly tho? That'd rule.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you have more free time than there are videogames to fill that time then the solution is to find things that aren't videogames to fill that time because jesus christ how much time are you spending playing video games.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Lot of super rad games shown off, Avowed looking good and Starfield looked surprisingly like it makes sense? So many hints of other games, but in good ways.

Also as one of the many people who bought a Series S cause I got other things to spend the extra money on instead of worrying about grafics I am glad for my contribution to your annoyance :smug:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If it weren't for the Series S and Game Pass I would be entirely priced out of this generation of gaming.

Same. My Series S was AU$400. The only places with the Series X wanted almost a grand. Not worth it. I know a lot of people with Series S' who love them. They're great lil boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'll take worse graphics and being able to justify a game box over an expensive game box with more pixels tbh.

Any game that has been fun to play and people like seems to be absolutely fine on the S, so I don't really care about hobbling the current generation frankly.