Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Akuma posted:

That doesn't sound like an EA Access subscription, Watch_Dogs isn't an EA game, it sounds like maybe you bought a second hand bone and those games are installed? If you try and run them they probably won't play - and if they do it's because some dingus left it as their primary console.

Halo and Gears aren't EA games either, they are Microsoft. Assassin's Creed is Ubisoft, and Dead Rising is Capcom.

You probably have someone else's "home console," enjoy the games while you have them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
He means as a 4K Blu-Ray player, I think.

I hope.

As for good looking games, I mean, the games all look pretty good these days if you don't have impossible standards... I remember VGA and Commodore 64 graphics pretty well...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Beastie posted:

Halo multiplayer just devolves into two people running/bunny-hopping at each other, mag dumping into their shields and then a slap fight.

That's all multiplayer in every game, though.

Oh, I forgot about 1337 sn1p4rs, my bad!

Real hurthling! posted:

Certainly nothing to spend three 8000 page threads on though right? Nothing is that funny.

It's weird, some people latch on to bad jokes and ride that poo poo into the ground. I'm sure nobody here knows anything about that! :v:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\/\ Well, the Goons have hazed everyone away. "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you! WRONG RAM!" They're probably never coming back.

CainsDescendant posted:

I've decided it's time to get a console of this generation. Is there any reason to get the xbone s or x instead of the original if I'm not really picky about super hd gaming experiences? I want the cheapest console I can get without locking myself out of any important functionality.

The Xbone S is fine unless you love anime with all your heart and soul. You can play 95%+ of the games you would ever want to play on it, plus one or two decent games in a ocean of decent games.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 22, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Peer pressure is a hell of a drug.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

Ben Kuchera is that you?

We are legion, apparently?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You can yell into your headset, and I think there's a Nyko microphone dearie you can get for your controller if you don't have a Kinect.

The mic should totally be built in to new controllers.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah that's great. Now not only do I hear everything that's going on in some guy's living room, but he's holding the controller in his lap so now I also hear every time he farts or scratches his nuts.

:roflolmao: You gotta go out of your way to get one of those... and you can easily mute whoever you want.

Blue Raider posted:

thats's an unfair metric, comparing one good thing to two aids things

The Bonetroller will always be on top, it's true!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 23, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well, people like to complain and spend money on red titles, so...

Enjoy it! If you're into the story you're probably in for a looooong wait for the rest of that story.

It's internally very consistent, and I can see how a couple things will probably be addressed, should a sequel ever be made.

I'd be willing to talk more about it once you're done and feel like it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the more I play it I'm finding why it got a mediocre reception. The story is pretty fun but man it gets repetitive quick and the combat encounters are getting super annoying.

Also jfc I am so over bullet sponge heavies in video games.

Gotta hit their weak spots (a lot of the powered enemies are weak having their backpacks, and therefore their immunities to your offensive powers, exploded) and constantly use all of your evasive and defensive powers. Your offensive powers are neat, but they're not the only thing you should be using.

bloodysabbath posted:

I really enjoyed Quantum Break but it's one of those things where its entire existence was greenlit as a proof of concept for something (Xbox TV Studio Division) that wasn't even a thing anymore by the time it released and it shows. Like Alan Wake we will never get a proper sequel but 5 years from now we may get a smaller budget title that makes us mourn what could have been.

Yeah.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is the Xbox thread, I think?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

You could get one of those braided extra-strong USB cables too

also here's the new USB dongle model coming out if you want to know more about it https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/8/1/16076240/microsoft-xbox-wireless-adapter-new-release-date-pricing

I think his question is more about the USB connection being not sturdy enough for his liking. Understandable. Nothing short of a wired connection will feel right compared to a plug on the current controllers.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Laserface posted:

I dont know why anyone is suggesting the Elite controller's USB cable is better. its definitely braided but its still micro USB and still the same terminations on the cable has the standard one.

Just go and buy any of the hundreds of ugly third party controllers. 99% of them have windows drivers.

If you want wired this is a good idea.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yes. They're pretty flirty, calling me "mister" and using kissy emoji.

Told one of them to identify themselves or be blocked since they were spamming pretty hard, they screamed "DO IT I DARE YOU!!!" so I did it.

Well, that's my story thanks for reading.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Luckily for us it is a well-known fact that Bonehavers are regular sexhavers, amirite?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

So, I'll probably finish up Quantum break this weekend. Whats another exclusive worth busting out?

How are Halo 5 and Gears 4?
Other stuff I might try are Ori and the Blind forest and Recore.

Ori is a beautiful, tough platformer.

Recore... has potential, but you can see where they removed one of the frames. Like, there's an obvious empty space. And, the final level is a horrible slog, requiring you to have picked up a good portion of the special rainbow cores or whatever that keep doors sealed.

This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the atrocious load times. Like, just terrible, even on an external. You can tell where the seams are and where they cut to get it out of the door on time.

Real hurthling! posted:

Ori is good
Recore is an unfinished mess
Halo 5/gears 4 are more of those games.
Dead rising 3/4 are sucky versions of dead rising
Rare replay is good value
Ryse is launch window filler
Sunset overdrive is ok

Cant think if anymore games rn except forza

Halo 5 is all right. They made some (huge!) story missteps in their quest to not make more of the same. They know what they did.

Ryse is like Arkham Asylum if everyone was ancient Romans or English folks, and didn't have any of Batman's wonderful toys or anything else cool that Batman does. Combo-based brawler, really.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think you've played Arkham Asylum

Or Ryse

No, it's pretty much the combat from Arkham Asylum with none of the other good stuff, dude.

It's p. bad, actually.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hanyolo posted:

Recore is supposedly getting a goty (lol) edition which may flesh out the sp campaign

Lol if they expect people to pay money for it now, though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

It might be 7 hours long but it feels like 40.

I started out thinking it was dope but I'm going to say at this point it's teetering somewhere between worth $15 and terrible. Maybe one of the lamest time travel stories ever told with some sloppy rear end gameplay sandwiched in between.

The story isn't terrible. There are some interesting bits, like what exactly is Martin Hatch's deal, and the way the "rules" work and the somewhat clever way they can subvert them while still playing by them, that you only get in the notes laying about.

The problem is this hunting for things to read interferes with Iceman's Bullet Puzzle Adventure 2005.

Hatch, though... Hatch is really, really interesting. I'd like to know what you think of him after you finish the game.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ Yeah it's a shame when things like that happen.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, I don't hate the actual story. it's a little bit corny but it's enjoyable enough. The time travel aspect of it just seems super lame and half baked, and even lamer in a gameplay context. All of his powers seems so loosely related to time travel and the non combat stuff is so canned it feels like a joke.

I probably missed a lot of exposition because the game talks over itself so much and piles every bit of lore on top of each other though.

hatch is already dead at the point I'm at. Tbh I didn't fully understand what his plan was maybe there is more coming up, but I am at what I'm pretty sure is the end boss. I was going to finish it tonight, but Serene's AOE attack was annoying the hell out of me.

That fight is not terribly hard (or even long!) the AoE starts near you so as long as you move to the other side of the area you should be fine.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\/\You only need to actually shoot Paul twice. He yells when he does his AoE, if you stay at either end of the room and run across to the opposite end when you hear him yell it makes it way easier. Then it's just murdering goons. Don't let them draw you out, switch positions when the AoE starts.

HyperPuma posted:

lots of things about the xbox one are unbelievable

Punching up, I see.

So, Hatch.

Hatch is a shifter (like Dr. Kim, the one wandering around the last level murdering everyone) who found a way to claw his way back from that state; he keeps it under control with the same eye drops that Paul Serene uses. Those eye drops are only for people with Time Sickness or whatever it's called, to dull the symptoms. He absolutely wants the End of Time, where shifters can stop being driven crazy by existing in all timelines at once. That's why you can't kill a shifter, it just swaps in a double from a timeline where you didn't shoot it, and goes even crazier. The current Hatch is still Hatch, but he's not our Hatch.

So, for the extremely unlikely Season 2 of Iceman's Pullet Puzzle Adventure 2005, Iceman would find a way to bring a quantum version of Beth who didn't die back, as well as maybe a non-evil version of Littlefinger, since they exist in some timeline. The End of Time is going to happen still, Hatch will see to that, but Merry would probably figure out some way to go after the End of Time to start it back up again, probably using stuff salvaged from the Lifeboat Protocol, which isn't a terrible idea to begin with.

The title "Quantum Break" has a little more to do with the story than just sounding cool.

Too bad about the reception and gameplay.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 13, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's the anger talking... but you're not wrong.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's great to see the Xbox thread is full of joy and hardly any talk about "just get it on PC, bro," and other arguments that sound like vinyl-only audiophiles but for video games. I'm not sure what you call those people anyway, because that kind of nonsense is absent from these forums and not a thing that happens.

:)

Super chill.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's a weird and loaded question. Just make your joke.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chris Christie posted:

Well there's no going back now. Dropped another $91 on some cheap games on Amazon.

Sunset Overdrive
Halo 5
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Dead Rising
Dead Rising 3 Apocalypse Edition
Pacman Championship Edition 2

Put Halo Collection, Ezio Collection, Gears of War 4, Dead Rising 4, Rare Replay, and Minecraft Super Plus Pack & Lego Worlds (for the kid) in my wish list to wait for them to get cheap. I don't pay more than $19.99 for games. Unless it's Dark Souls or Sniper Elite at launch.

Can't wait to play some games on my XBOX One X and also conceal this frivolous waste of $600+ with taxes from the Mrs.

Have fun, and try not to let the Grima Worm-Tongues here bother you too much. Watch out! If you clap back they will accuse you of having a meltdown.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

If you stop having meltdowns, people will stop complimenting your meltdowns.
lol

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Guillermus posted:

Hahahaha boy you're going to get owned by this thread.

You must be thinking of the Shark Tank. This is a nice thread for friends and not being disingenuous shits about video games. :)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

Most people can't play online in anything on Xbox due to "abuse" reports that are taken at face value. At least a few people who play Overwatch and certain other games for a month-ish suddenly found they couldn't find matches anymore because their rep is unrecoverably poisoned.

"Most people," huh. Weird. Enforcement.xbox.com says I'm a "good player."

H-How is that even possible?

univbee posted:

Not all 360 games are compatible on Xbox One, but I'm pretty sure Shadow Complex is at least, so if it's not showing as downloadable I don't know what the gently caress unless it's possible you had them on a different account than the one you're using now.

Also if your friends are PC gamers just get a fancy graphics card instead for it and wire your PC to the living room using that fancy new HDMI technology that's all the rage.

Where do you roll the mouse? The couch? That seems like a lot of work, actually.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

incoherent posted:

Hemmed and hawwed too much yesterday and lost amazon xbonex pre order opportunity. You think they'll restock before launch?

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Enough people are so weak minded as to be easily dissuaded by Grima Worm-Tongues from something they would enjoy that you'll probably be able to walk into any store with an electronics section and buy one.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

doingitwrong posted:

The result is that all the guides you find online suggest you should just follow known good builds.

The Cult of Optimality commands it regardless!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Empress Brosephine posted:

Xbox one died last night ugh. Got hit by a lightning surge I think

The external power source can be replaced. That's what happened on mine.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fame Douglas posted:

They beach is too sandy and you get suburnt.

Plus, even if you don't burn, the sun ages you pretty bad, which is why women start caking on the makeup when they hit 30.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheScott2K posted:

I did not win an Xbonx. My toilet won some upcoming horrors, though.

Keep going. Keep buying those boxes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
ReCore apparently just got a massive patch that improves a lot of loading times (especially respawning times,) puts in new weapon types like grenade launchers and split beams, a new (big-ish?) area and the 5th frame, the tank one, that you can ride on and cover more ground with.

Better late than never, but still, should have been like this out of the box.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

Its more a collectathon platformer

Yeah. More shooting than Banjo-Kazooie, but there's an annoying gate near the end that needs over half of the available Maguffins. I made it to the last level and peaced out, too much collecting for my blood.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is it worth the $19.99? Being one of the few Hdr games I was thinking of picking it up. I played the demo and it was intriguing as kind of a chill relaxing explorer type game.

Xbox's poo poo version of Nier Automata is what I gather it is.

It's a shittier Metroid Prime, shittier because of the mandatory collecting.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

But more power = better than. Much confuse!

This seems to be a fairly standard PC gaming argument, yes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Shhh, being disingenuous is a time-honored Goon Tradition!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
An Xbonx is cheaper than gaming PC maintenance. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fame Douglas posted:

And PC doesn't have an Xbox Live fee and offers much cheaper games. Easily evens out.

Nah. I factored that in.

Using shady third-party resellers isn't something to be proud of, by the way. Xbone games go on pretty good sale sale all the time, the secret is owning an Xbox and looking at the week's sales. :)

exquisite tea posted:

Cutting edge games hitting 60fps @ 4k max settings just wasn't possible on any commercial card before the 1080ti, which is less than six months old and is an $800 piece of hardware. At which point you have to ask yourself, why am I even thinking about buying a Bonx.

A brain full of soft, weak, hu-mon things, not glorious maths?

Fame Douglas posted:

Stuff like Discord (or even Steam itself) seems much better at fostering communities to me.

I dunno, that seems like a lot of extra work to connect to communities that don't like the way I play my video games. I mean, I already paid the :10bux: to post here, that's more than enough abuse for me...