Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I've been out of the Xbox ecosystem for this entire gen,in fact I haven't touched an Xbone until today, but I had an extra PS4 and figured it would be more fun to trade for and Xbox than just sell it.

Just have a few questions:

1. Does Xbox have something like PS4 sleep mode where you can pick up where you left off and download stuff, even with the system partially off? I see 2 options for energy saver and some other one, but all of the text is about cortana and cable and other bullshit I don't care about. I only see an option to turn the system off, not sleep.

yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its does a check while in instant-on mode for updates and other background tasks.

you turn it 'off' in instant on mode, and it goes to a low power state, saves your game state as it was, and boots up faster. will also download game updates in the background. system updates wont occur though.

in full off mode it consumes no power and takes about 2min to fully boot up.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If MCC games have no patches then why do they have all the other updates? All the dlc is there for h3 that I recall.

Like why not use a flattened copy of h3 with all updates rather than the base game + maps?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

They revised the PS4 controller over a year ago, doing things like fixing the sticks and making the audio interface work on Windows and the control signaling work optionally over USB on the PS4 instead of just Bluetooth (the USB signaling worked on PC on the old ones and still doesn't on PS4; I have no idea what Sony's deal with this is). Look for the one where the light comes through the top of the touchpad.

Did they ever even sell Slims or Pros with the old one?

They revised the controller and still left it as the same 2 dicks hanging design with hosed stick placement? Jesus loving Christ.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont know why anyone is suggesting the Elite controller's USB cable is better. its definitely braided but its still micro USB and still the same terminations on the cable has the standard one.

Just go and buy any of the hundreds of ugly third party controllers. 99% of them have windows drivers.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm sorry but the xbox elite controller is one of the better purchases for the Bone I ever made. The programmable paddles change the flow of games I play so much its frankly loving disgusting to use a regular controller now.

The elite controller is sick AF I agree but there is nothing special about its cable or connector outside of the (frankly annoying) braided sheath.

its annoying because it doesnt coil up neatly.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I havent turned my xbox on in months so Im not getting a 4k xbox to play on my 1080P non-LED LCD display.

though even if it was a pS4 I wouldnt have turned it on, there is just nothing worth playing these days.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cuphead is fun but way too hard and it sounds like Co-Op is how its supposed to be played (revives instead of lives) but it doesnt have online co-op for some reason?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

you could just buy a replacement PSU for your xbone if its not already an autoswitching one (I havent checked). best case a lot of stuff just needs a new IEC/kettle lead that fits our wall plugs.

most stuff I have bought in AU in the last 8-10 years has been auto switching 100v-240v or has a selector switch on the PSU for it.

globalising a product saves the manufacturer hundreds of thousands of dollars and it can be done with the electronics now so they all do it. I usually get a EU/US/AU IEC lead with any device ive purchased that requires AC power.

which is funny because its apparently cheaper to add 2 extra cables to a box and ship the extra weight than it is to manufacture and pack for different regions.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Barudak posted:

Thank you gamepass, because Id never play Homedfront 2 otherwise and its such a steaming pile of bad decisions from the minute you hit start game.

I payed the $1 month trial for GamePass to get sea of thieves and to check out some other games and they're all so bad I actually requested a refund of my $1.

WRC 5 has a framerate somewhere around 10. I dont even know how they were allowed to release it. the graphics look like its from 2008.

Sea of Thieves has no compelling reason to play it at all.

Gears of war 4, a franchise built on blood and gore, has you fighting god drat robots.

Like none of these games are good or worth playing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I couldn't disagree more. Horizon Zero Dawn was maybe the only game that made looking for recordings interesting - usually I hate trying to find the story, and won't. I didn't read a single grimoire card after like 300 hours of Destiny. If it's important, put it in the game's main story, or it doesn't exist.

Destiny is an odd one because they hosed up the development and had to scrap the story and then add in the story via grimoire cards later as there was no time to do cutscenes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am one of what I suspect is a very large part of the market that has a old-but-good-for-its-time LCD display.

My TV doesnt support HDR or 4K, so I cant see the point in buying the XboneX.

I would rather wait another 2 years, see if my display dies (although its Made in Japan so it'll probably last forever) and buy whatever console comes out then. Upgrading now the most I could hope for is games that allow you to set performance over graphics/detail but it seems not all games offer that (and Im assuming multiplayer games probably dont allow that anyway)

even outside of videogames I dont have any content to a justify 4K display since I get all my film and tv as :files: and my entire workflow for that is all based around an Apple TV, Plex, and a file server without the grunt to handle 4K/HDR content, and that file server is also what I use for my backups of my personal files and is nowhere near end of life either.

For me, jumping to 4K is a huuuuuge cost for not a lot of gain and given the current clip of technology its way smarter to just wait it out until OLED panels are mainstream and significantly cheaper, which they probably will be by the time the new consoles are released.

a lot of gamers are loving morons and they just buy whatever comes out as soon as they can and Sony/MS bank on that, which is probably how we ended up with a two-tier console generation in the first place. I wouldnt be surprised if we saw it happen again when we start seeing 8K panels hit the market.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont get horde/zombie mode. its fun once or twice but yeh after that Im done.

Gears of War was the game that made me sell my Wii and buy a 360, but the online play for GoW was garbage.

I grabbed a month of gamepass for $1 to try sea of thieves (which is not worth a dollar) and also tried GoW 4 and its the same gameplay with new enemies that are bullet sponges. not even sure why its R18+ classified since all you do is shoot robots who arent real and just shoot sparks instead of blood.

Initially bought an xbone this generation because Halo and Forza and both those series have petered out pretty hard, although Forza not so much.

All i need is a xbone style controller for a PS5 and Im jumping ship unless Xbox really brings something amazing to the table for the xbox two (the 5th xbox)

then again the switch is pretty impressive and the flexibility of something I can play without tying up the TV is really cool, the games are mostly fantastic looking and while its got a lot of shovelware on the store at least the majority of games arent stuffed full of microtransactions.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I liked Peek-A-Boo With Guns up through 3 and still play horde mode 3 online occasionally. Mainly I got trilogy-itis out of it where I’ll easily stick with a series for 3 games and it feels like a natural conclusion, and it’ll take a major compelling change in story or gameplay to bring me back. The Judgement Day prequel was where I gave up.

Same for Halo I guess.

Halo 4 had plenty of potential to be an excellent sequel, multiplayer wise, but they hosed that up with randomised weapon drops making the bulk of Halos core gameplay (power weapon and map control, team tactics) useless. They also nerfed the poo poo out of vehicles. the campaign was garbage however. they were like 3 years late to the killstreak/perk stuff and it really showed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its pretty weird how they offered GamePass for $1 to try it out for a month, given that it doesnt actually do anything besides give you access to a bunch of games, which is very obvious. its not like it has some extra perks or anything you can only really verify the value of by signing up for it.

Im guessing the only reason they offered it was to a) boost subscriptions to make charts look nice and b) rake in a few months from people who forget to unsub.

I got $1 refunded because I cancelled it early after discovering that the only games I had even a passing interest in were actually garbage.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Monday_ posted:

I played Halo 5 for about 30 seconds before I realized that every time you get hit it pulls you out of ADS. Who thought that was a good idea?

didnt getting hit in H3 pull you out of ADS too?

granted you only had a few weapons that used ADS in H3.

BrownieVK posted:

That's warzone totally separate from BTB social or any ranked modes. Warzone is toxic the last shot from whatever team gets the points and it's usually stacked teams with extremely one sided matches. That's the mode that's like firefight with btb sprinkled in where you can use cards to spawn with crazy overpowered poo poo. Basically warzone is poop which sucks because there's some awesome variants of the stock weapons you don't ever get to use in multiplayer outside of special events.

Warzone being the only available gametype with more than 4 players per team is what killed halo 5. the games were decided within the first few minutes and it was just not in any way fun to play.

the competitive playlist IS VERY GOOD. playing with friends is great, but sometimes you want to play unranked or solo queue.

BTB being restricted to the ugly as gently caress Forge maps was also a huuuuuge misstep.

I dont know how many people from Bungie (if any) were still at 343 but its very obvious that the map design and gameplay team are no longer the same people.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Coq au Nandos posted:

I miss the glory days of Halo 2 BTB. Massive maps, chaos and vehicles.

I never played 2 online, with 3 being my first real foray into online shooters. Nothing has ever come close to the amount of time/fun my friends and I had playing halo 3 online.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My Xbox always updates all the games I never play that are still installed while it's asleep

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Gears 4 is a fine game if you have never played any other gears game before. unfortunately its the exact same clunky mechanics and 'leaning into the big dumb shooter' thing they've been doing for 5 games now and it hasnt done anything to resolve the shotgun meta of multiplayer from what i have seen.

i used the $1 for 1 month of gamepass offer and I actually refunded it I was that unimpressed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mung Dynasty posted:

Burnout did this and despite the goon hivemind opinion it is actually inferior to Takedown/Revenge. Adding an open world to everything doesn't instantly make a game better.

On the other hand, the Horizon games are better than mainline Forza, so.

Burnout Paradise should have been considered a spin-off title rather than an actual sequel. I Recently played through the HD remaster and its boring as hell when you start chaining events together and notice that all races finish at one of 8 points and for the most part you are re-using the bulk of the roads to reach those destinations.

at least the previous games had like 6-7 different regions, and then differing variations + reverse modes for all those races, so while still familiar you still had a good range of environments that are easier memorize than generic city street #26.

The key to the fun driving in that game was the flow of the circuits and open world just totally removed that, and to the detriment of the game.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Burnout probably also had the online part updated to actually work again. It's a good example of how a remake of a game should be done, not a bad one, imo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The new versions of gears and halo are the worst games in the series.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I played a ton of halo 3 even after cod mw came out but yeah cod really changed the landscape of shooters and now everyone is copying that model to some degree.

Halo 5 would have had a much better chance of surviving if they didn't have the lovely moba mode as their only social/unranked game mode for the launch period. The halo 5 ranked stuff was really good but sometimes you don't want to be playing against sperglords and want to play fun games on well designed maps that weren't bland Grey box spaces made in loving forge.

Halo 4 wasn't terrible MP Wise but it tried to incorporate too much cod.

Halo reach is the best story without a doubt. Maybe ODST? they both have such a feeling of hopelessness which was a great juxtaposition on 1/2/3s master chief is a badass who saves the world tone

Halo 3 is the best multiplayer.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah the pre/post smack talk in halo 3 lobbies was hilarious.

Especially in the unranked playlist where proximity voice worked and idiots would be hiding or sneaking and talking into their headset loudly and give away their position.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EB Games is the most expensive place to buy literally anything and is purely designed to prey on unwitting parents buying games as gifts.

first week of release most AAA games can be found for $69A in most stores, super big titles/first party sometimes attract a $10 premium for whatever reason.

EB Games is consistently selling new release games for $100A each. ($75USD or thereabouts)

but yeah sometimes they will price match other stores and they have a return policy so if you like to speed run games it can work out well I suppose.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

theres never been a discount in australia for pre-ordering, ever, yet morons still do it like its a thing you need to do.

i was in an EB games once after E3 and there was a neckbeard dude wearing fingerless leather gloves laying down a $10 pre-order on every single title announced.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sea of thieves literally put me to sleep while I played with friends.

It is garbage.

I like my Xbox one though. I mostly play shooters and I like the controller.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'll buy a new Forza game when they stop re-using low poly models from forza loving 2 and update them with modern versions that dont have weird dimensions (see: R32 GTR Skyline)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hows it gonna work when the someone signs up for 2 years and a month later the retail price of the console drops $50-100?

unless microsoft are going to hold retail console prices steady for 2 years and then refresh hardware?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Why would you want this though when the remaster for Xbox One exists?

Can we please have Time Splitters 2 on Xbox One?

modern warfare 2 has been remastered?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im getting an X tomorrow because EBgames is offering it for $299AUD if you trade in an Xbone S + 2 games. I have an OG bone which makes it $339 but its still a decent deal considering you cant sell an OG bone here for more than $150.

all my games are on my external drive, do I just disconnect the drive, factory reset and then Im good?

is it better to have my games on my external disk or should I put them on the internal drive on the new console? my external disk is a 3.5" usb 3.0 2TB.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Man the One X is a nice piece of hardware in comparison to the OG Bone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So how do I make the one X download the hi res texture packs? I have far cry and doom installed but can't see an option to update them.

On my old console I had an option in settings to download 4K content however it's not available on my X.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

San Fran Rush was sick as hell but I think other games carried the torch. Burnout especially seems to fill the niche.

I would love a modernised Rush game though, no question. as long as its not Open world and sticks to its original formula.

EDIT: Forza Horizon is cool but I wish you could disable the Narrative poo poo. it took me 30min to get through 3 races because it keeps explaining to me that I need to go to places on the map to start events. its really fuckin tedious.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Does anybody know of anywhere that still sells Burnout Paradise Xbox 360 full game download codes now that the game has been pulled from the marketplace? Amazon UK and Ebay come up blank and only have physical copies, and I heard that the remaster is apparently terrible? I don't know how/why it is but it seems most people still play the 360 version so thought I'd grab that digitally if there's somewhere that hasn't run out of codes yet.

The remaster is absolutely fine and runs as good as the original? There is zero reason to play the 360 version.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

I read a bunch of complaints about corrupted save files and the game crashing, which apparently wasn't entirely fixed in the last patch so thought I'd get some opinions here since although it would look worse, at least the 360 version wouldn't have those issues. People here seem to have played through the remaster without issue however so I guess those problems can't have been that bad? I'd definitely prefer to grab the remaster.

I haven't had issues with mine at all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Party chat definitely killed the social aspect of gaming. The minority ruined it for the rest of us as usual.

My most fun memories of gaming were the social halo 3 lobbies and just ripping on strangers for being bad at video games or getting worked up about it.

And the proximity voice poo poo in halo was hilarious

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I really enjoy forza right up until I have to drive the actual race cars. It'd be cool if they let more of the progression just be that you can stick in the lower classes and the AI just gets harder to beat rather than making you drive faster cars against the same AI

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Forza 5 was the last main-game I played and yeah it soured me on bothering with 6 and 7. Maybe 8 will be a return to form?

I finished far cry 5 and was a bit let down. It was a fun game but nothing spectacular in terms of gameplay. I think I used a single upgraded AR for 90% of the game.

The story was OK but I also managed to finish the game without finishing all the story missions so I feel like i skimmed through the plot a bit.

I'm on to wolfenstein 2 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Two of the most overrated games recently IMO. Ones that really make it clear that reviewers barely play games.

I didnt pay for Far Cry, I won it at a IGN launch party, so it wasnt a disappointment in the sense that it was free. I would not normally buy a Far Cry game after my experience playing 3 (although 5 was kinda more of the same in a setting i was more interested in), just with less eagles attacking me and maybe less reliance on crafting. Stealthing the cult outposts and using my beast-army was fun as hell tho.

it was a stunning game visually even on my OG bone, but the X really made it more enjoyable to play. would still have preferred a 60fps mode however.

I got wolf 2 in a pack with DOOM which supremely owned and was the primary reason I bought the pack (it was like $3 more to get wolf 2 included than just DOOM on its own) and while I enjoyed The New Order i found its controls/gameplay a little bit annoying so Wolf 2 is definitely a 'low difficulty dont bother collecting everything' game for me.