Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I'm not so sure different SKUs in the console world is a good thing, and particularly ones with such disparities in specification.

For starters (and I'm not remotely an expert) I would presume that developers will - from a purely practical financial standpoint - develop towards the SKUs with the greatest market penetration, which is the PS4 and Xbone. No one is likely to make a game targeted at the XBX, exploiting its specs when it would run like a dog on the Xbone. At best, it would seem, you're likely to get pretty lukewarm benefits like an unlocked FPS, more particle effects or simply just a resolution bump.. i.e. quick wins for developers.

Granted developers could make PC-like games with pre-configured quality settings based on the console running it, but that seems like the opposite of what console gaming (and development) is about, certainly where PS4 is the lead platform and there is no PC version of the game.

Maybe I'm being too cynical, it will sell to the hardcore crowd regardless.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU