Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Twerk from Home posted:

I want to play a 4K blu-ray

Is there some cheaper way to do this stuff than just getting an Xbone? Ha.

No, the Xbone S is basically the cheapest 4k Blu Ray player on the market - just like the PS2 was basically the cheapest DVD player in its launch period. There's a limited release Samsung 4k Blu-Ray player that's like $10 more than the normal S price for another option, I guess.

Everything else you mention just makes the price look even better if you're in the market for the UHD Blu-Rays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bogart posted:

Thread, show me either an Xbox One S or a regular Xbox One with 1TB storage for as close as you can to 200$

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/consoles/xbox-one-1tb-console-black/128056

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If Dolby Vision is only actually supported on two lovely kid's movies, I don't see how it's bad to not have it supported right now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Game Pass is mostly decent for people who didn't pick up older Games With Gold when they were available, I find. That's why I don't bother with it, I already got all the NA region ones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

veni veni veni posted:

What's the difference between State of Decay for Xbone and 360?

State of Decay: Year-One Survival Edition for Xbox One is higher res, and includes all the major DLC for the original 360 release and some extra game mode that doesn't matter much but you might like.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CainsDescendant posted:

I've decided it's time to get a console of this generation. Is there any reason to get the xbone s or x instead of the original if I'm not really picky about super hd gaming experiences? I want the cheapest console I can get without locking myself out of any important functionality.

Well you'd have to wait til like November for the x to come out so just get an xbone s because they're available at basically the same price now in the bundles.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Empress Brosephine posted:

What's worse:

Xbox one
PS4 controller
Nintendo switch online

PS4 Controller.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

slap me and kiss me posted:

Is the kinect the only way I can shriek "xbox on" from across the house, or is there some sort of external microphone solution that would do just fine?

You would need to use a microphone connected to an Xbox controller, but first the controller needs to be on and in range. And when you turn the controller on, it already turns the system on.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
MicroUSB is even designed so that like 99% of the time when something breaks it's your cheap cable instead of a potentially much more expensive port on the device. Also if you really want it to stay secure in the port, you can tape it up with a little bit of foam and electrical tape, I guess.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

Did you perhaps play disc versions?

Or on someone else's console, because they'd actually bought the digital version.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah, do they take them there? :0

Yeah might charge you a small fee to swap out

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm going to get an Xbox One X Xbox and continue using it primarily for YouTube and GTA Online.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Adaptabullshit posted:

I preordered Xbone X, but also bought an used S (2tb model). What do I do with the S in november?

Use your S as your gamer throne.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheScott2K posted:

People love physical media these days

Well they sure got pissed about not having it before the Xbox One launched

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

People still buy games but the same is no longer true of movies and TV Shows. Streaming absolutely wrecked home media sales, especially until recently when Netflix was largely the only game in town (I think the fragmentation of content that's hodgepodge scattered across different streaming services may have an impact eventually). It also doesn't help that getting actual benefits from UHD Blu-ray has a pretty high cost of entry; it is almost 100% pointless unless you have a 4K TV. DVD benefitted everybody even if they were still rockin' 80's coax-only Trinitrons, and Blu-ray was still an upgrade even if you just had a Dolby Digital/DTS sound system, or a decent enough TV that the macroblocking on DVD's was an issue (or had >480p, even if it was just 720p).

There are a shitload of people who go through games by buying them, finishing them and trading them in for credit for the next one. They aren't buying games digitally whenever possible.

There are also a substantial number of people (including a recent poster in this very thread) who don't have enough internet allowance for downloading even 10 gigs in a month, let alone the >80 gigs a lot of games are starting to need now.

Digital's making in-roads but it's never going to reach a point where the above two groups become insignificant enough to not matter, not with console games anyway.

"People can't afford to install 80 GB of games a month but they can afford to stream 80 GB of movies and TV and YouTube a month" is basically the argument you're making here. Since you're saying video on disc is dead but games on disc aren't (let alone the fact that the drat disc is going to make you download 40 GB of patches just to play it)

Modern video streaming services add up a lot quicker than you'd thin, and most people aren't likely to buy multiple full on games a month on their console.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Huh, interesting. I think it's some sort of graded statistical map, like incarceration or obesity rates or something similarly pleasant.

Gamerscore

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's weird because Nintendo is usually quite ready to charge your full price for a virtual console game again, for the 4th time in a row now it'd be.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I mean the wildest bit about what Microsoft is doing is that it seems like Xbox 360 Live service is never going to die. By this point since the launch of the 360, they'd already announced they'd be shutting down original Xbox Live and then it was actually dead the next year. Now it's like, they're just going to keep it going forever for backwards-compatible games to stay working, and also therefore the 360 live marketplace staying up back on 360 to support it.

The only thing that's really shutting down is the XBLIG service - which by the way you still have two weeks remaining to buy any XBLIGs you didn't already own, after the new uploads were halted in October 2016! And you'll still be able to redownload your purchases.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

I have a suspicion they can't legally "shut it down" (at least not fully) due to people's digital libraries, and consumer laws in many countries, and implementing the backwards compatibility was a practical way to still get mileage from it (and generate customer goodwill in doing so). I think PSNow's existence can largely be attributed to this, too.

Nah. They shut down the original Xbox Live on the original Xbox despite people having digital libraries (a few dozen DLC and then like a dozen downloadable Arcade titles) and they did so in 2010 when any such consumer protection laws would have been in place. The purchases and redownloads got cut off with the multiplayer going down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

veni veni veni posted:

Did XBLIG produce a single good game? I remember it being hilarious for the demos but that was about it.

One Finger Death Punch, the whole "Quiet, Please!" series of short little adventure games, the Solar series, the original versions of DLC Quest, Red Tie Miner series, Diehard Dungeon, Escape Goat, Gateways, Super Amazing Wagon Adventure, Vidiot Game, a bunch of others.

Of course at this point like 90% of these are either straight up on Steam, or have sequels on it. Some of it were always planned to be on Steam but since they came out back when Steam wouldn't shovel 500 lovely clone games on a day, you could wait like a year plus to actualyl get approved, so they'd release on 360 Indie Games first.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

trash person posted:

I too personally prefer mediocre gameplay with an unstable framerate in 4K vs fun gameplay with a stable framerate in 1080p

Sure didnt have stable framerate at 1080 on the original console lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I didn't even realize scorpio edition was a separate thing. Well, glad that's what my preorder is.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

What is the scorpio edition? It appears that one is green tinted or something?

I have no idea but my Amazon order says scorpio edition. I think I get a free game?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Adaptabullshit posted:

Has anyone reportedly won from that taco bell promotion or is US lacking any sweepstakes law, allowing to have 0% win chances?

US sweepstakes laws are actually pretty strict because ending up with your sweepstakes being legally "gambling" can be a major crime in most states.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

I don't understand why people want that. The original xbox controller was terrible. I'm surprised Microsoft was able to get it right with the 360 controller.

If they can slap a proper d-pad mechanism under the d-pad itself it'd be pretty rad for the upcoming original Xbox titles on Xbox One. Some games just don't feel as good to play when you're using the bumpers instead of the original white and black button placement.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

veni veni veni posted:

What was bad about it? It was basically the 360 controller 1.0

Still had to have that lovely non-Nintendo-patent-infringing d-pad and also couldn't choose the best alternatives as Sega and Sony owned those

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Real hurthling! posted:

Lmao if you paid for xbl

Lmao if you haven't gotten like 177 Xbox games for like $200 for XBL cards. Better hit to dud ratio than loving with steam bundles for it too

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TenTwelveTwelve posted:

I think Sonic Allstar Racing Transformed is backwards compatible. A fun game if you guys like Mario Kart.

Yeah that went backwards compatible last year.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I guess it's nice that if I ever needed to I could replace the lithium batteries in my Xbone controllers with AA batteries but it's never come up and probably won't for many years.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Syrinxx posted:

Oh cool I'll just swap out the battery on my ds4 OH WAIT GUESS NOT

lol at the dipshits who think being able to put whatever AAs you want in your controller and having it last a month is somehow bad

You could also do the correct thing and put the Microsoft lithium battery pack in ur Xbox one controller and then if it ever dies you can use AA batteries until the replacement pack arrives.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Cuphead owns first good exclusive on any console since 2011.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The only Xboxes I don't own is an original style 360, the e shell 360, and the one s. My one x will arrive at launch

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Nothing says no one cares about the good and cool ps4 exclusives like sneeringly bringing them up unprompted multiple times in a thread for a whole other console.

Cool PlayStation exclusives like No Games.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Number of American homes which can't even get 3mbps internet: 4.9 million

Number of American homes which can't get 25mbps internet: 10.6 million

Number of American homes which only have one broadband ISP (makes it very likely they have strict monthly download limits with no "unlimited" option): 40 million (not counting the 10.6 million mentioned before).

If every game you buy is going to have a mandatory 60 gig download even with a retail disc (and this is already the case without 4K assets for Halo 5 and Forza 7 at least, possibly other games too) that's going to be a problem with ISP's still having pretty low monthly limits for a lot of people.

This is a very weird gen even without the 4K mid-gen upgrades, since there are several million who are largely cut off from it due to factors out of their control that have nothing to do with things like the console's cost.

It's ludicrous to say the 40 million households with only one cable ISP must necessarily have low bandwidth caps, too low to use a fancy xbonex they plan to buy. Especially when even people stuck with like 300 GB caps can still do quite a few full texture pack updates.

Fact is 90%+ of the country has 25 megabit service, if they want internet at all (remember like 15% of the country just doesn't have home internet), and I hardly think not reaching the other less than 10% is make or break for a midgeneration console upgrades success.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Read my post fishmech, I said it makes it likely, not that it's a guarantee.

It doesn't make it likely, that's the loving point. There's no connection at all between the things. Fact is the vast majority of America only has one actual choice for their internet connection: the local cable provider. Because DSL is completely non-competitive due to being like 7 megabit service at best in most areas. A small percentage of places have a fiber ISP which can actually provide an alternate service, or an alternate cable ISP. Yet the vast majority of Americans don't have any bandwidth cap.

I don't know what dumb poo poo is going on up in Canada besides the CRTC being useless and everyone having like 1 megabit upload max, but that has very little to do with America.

Cojawfee posted:

Why is it they have trouble giving their customers more speed and data? In most cases it's total bullshit so they don't have to spend money to improve their infrastructure. The US government has even given money to ISPs over the years to improve their service and they don't do anything. This isn't an Xbox problem, it's an ISP problem. ISPs need to realize that the future of the internet is people downloading lots of data.

Internet has actually improved massively in the us over the years, though. Speeds have increased massively, even the minority of people with data caps have had the data caps increased by a lot, while the majority still have no data cap.

Cojawfee posted:

Aside from very rural areas where ISPs refuse to run lines despite being paid to do so by the government

This doesn't happen. You seem to be thinking of the 90s plans to implement "broadband" everywhere where the definition of broadband was services over 200 kilobits per second (because this was the mid-90s that the rules for it were being written, and 56k analog modems had basically just came out. obviously 200k would be broadband, it was 4x faster!!), and which most ISPs involved decided to do by building cell towers and selling them to the big carriers, which soon supported such speeds.

No one was ever going to get 100 megabit service at home out of that program, but it did massively expand rural cell phone services.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

Lol Jesus Christ.

"What about the people who don't have good internet and can't download lots of things?"

"They should complain to their ISP, low bandwidth isn't acceptable."

"Actually, most people have really fast internet, so no one has problems with low bandwidth. I don't know why you are bringing up bad internet speeds."

You actually posted some conspiracy theory poo poo about how nothing's been improved in years and that an FCC program that ended in 2000 is still going though, bro.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

It's not a conspiracy theory when ISPs themselves make statements saying it's unfair that some people download a lot and they start testing low data caps in some markets.

You claimed that they're getting money to expand in rural areas and then refusing to expand in rural areas. That was a thing that happened in the 90s and specifically was because of the way the rules were written, building cell towers counted as building broadband service under the very low standards for broadband of the time.

You claimed, "Why is it they have trouble giving their customers more speed and data? In most cases it's total bullshit so they don't have to spend money to improve their infrastructure. The US government has even given money to ISPs over the years to improve their service and they don't do anything. ". This isn't true, the services have improved across the board, and even bandwidth caps in the places that have them have been raised. The main things that stagnate are places where the only service is DSL, because DSL service is effectively incapable of being improved - there's a fixed relationship between distance to the central office and maximum possible speed on the line which means DSL providers rarely meet promised speeds and have next to no hope of improving actual speeds.

Also what do you even mean by "testing low data caps in some markets" when all of those markets have straight up had low data caps for 15+ years - that's not a loving test anymore bro.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

I never said they were still receiving money. And just a couple years ago Time Warner was announcing test areas that would have 200 and 300GB data caps.

Well you were bitching people in rural areas didn't have high speed internet because of it, and if the ISPs had done exactly what they were paid to do those areas would just have 200 kilobit internet service out of it. So it would be really weird for you to be complaining about and not be trying to talk about something recent, because 200 kilobit service hasn't even legally been broadband for quite a while.

You mean those test areas that were already under 50 GB and 100 GB caps before that (hell sometimes even like 10 gb if you were on their cheapest tier)? Because they'd been "test areas" since they were hooked up for cable internet back in the early 2000s?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Why can't we do what Australia did, again?

If we did what Australia did, most people in America would have worse service availability than they have now. I don't see why you'd want that.

Like Australia's whole deal with the NBN is they grossly downgraded the service standards and then handed vast amounts of money to the existing lovely service ISPs in the meantime, and also grossly downgraded the areas they'd serve with it, particularly in the rural areas. Originally the plan was to provide 100 megabit service in urban areas and seek to aggressively upgrade rural access, it got upgraded to provide gigabit symmetric service in the urban areas... and then a new government came in and dropped the service expectations for urban areas to 25 megabit service for most of it with selective availability of faster speeds. And they reduced the amount of rural area that would receive wired service, deciding it was ok to keep using lovely satellite and fixed-link wireless instead on vast areas that had been promised wired links that equivalent areas in America had already had.

Now this 25 megabit service offering, is still a pretty good upgrade for a lot of Australians, but only because Australia's services available were just so bad to start from, really like America 15-18 years ago for large areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm having a new dilemma with my xboxox pre-order in that every fall game that I was interested in seems to be a disappointment and I may not have anything to play on it. Don't have a Bone currently.

SW Battlefront beta is bunk, AC Origins looks like a janky mess with Bloodborne wannabe combat, I can't do Destiny at 30fps anymore and it sounds like Bungie hosed up everything I enjoyed anyway, so it's really just down to Wolfenstein 2 at this point. And I guess South Park... can't wait to see Cartman in FOUUUUUUUUR K

At some point PC players are gonna realize I'm owning them in RS Siege with a controller and I'm gonna have to move on.

Get xbox live gold now and start getting all the games that come out every 2 weeks on it. You can claim them before you even get an Xbox and then download them to your xboxonexbox regardless of if they're Xbox One or Xbox 360 titles as all the recent 360 titles are backwards compatible on Xbox One.