Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The dimension hopping in Wolf 3 is gonna be weird.

Finished the New York penhouse fight by throwing all the grenades and blasting everything with a sturmgewehr whole hopping around like a madman.

I need to stop playing it like DOOM because I keep wanting to do melee kills to restore health but that gets you killed so fast in Wolfenstein. Leave the melee kills for the last guy standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arcsquad12 posted:

The dimension hopping in Wolf 3 is gonna be weird.

im curious as to whether there will be a wolf easter egg in doom eternal

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's already a prototype BFG 9000 on Venus in TNC

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Yeah, I’m praying Wolf 3 is a return to form. Wolf 2 was just a massive step down from TNO and Old Blood. It wasn’t terrible but it felt like a pretty significant decrease. I’m not entirely sure what happened - I can barely remember most of the levels whereas levels in TNO are still pretty clear in my mind despite not having played since it came out.

Though with Doom Eternal looking like it’s going to be loving fantastic maybe the old FPS remake itch will be scratched enough

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I do wonder when it will be announced. Maybe this year with a 2021 release, or am I being too ambitious?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm guessing we'll hear something this year either at E3 or PAX or whatever. VGX next year at the latest.

Give me some more 60s era shenanigans.

I really like Grace in this game and how she's a foil to Caroline. Caroline was all about getting people to be confident in themselves and come together as a family. Grace isn't about that poo poo. Being better than the Nazis isn't enough, you have to get mean, and if you're just talk and no action she's got no time for you. It's pretty neat watching her interact with the Kreisau members since she's antagonistic to everyone as she tries to gauge whether they're useful or not. Her arguments with Fergus show this especially. She rags on him constantly but once he puts his foot down, tells her to shut the gently caress up and offers a solution to their nuke dilemma, she backs off on him and they get along. Same with Sigrun when Sigrun finally snaps and shows she's not a nazi anymore, rather than just asking politely to be included.

Caroline brought the best out of people, but Grace makes them prove it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 13, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyways what happened to Cyberpilot? Did that spinoff get canned or are they just really struggling with the VR?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
its been up on steam

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Released same day as Youngblood

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looked it up on YouTube and wow that looks like a huge waste of time.

Finished Roswell so now I'm onto Mesquite and the Courtroom from hell. Gonna see if I can beat it on I Am Death Incarnate difficulty.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Courthouse fight is still bullshit. Kept getting stuck on geometry and my weapons decided whether to do regular or alt fire modes on a whim.

The second half of the game doesn't entirely fall apart because the gameplay is much improved with the supersoldier upgrades but man does the pacing go out the window. Grace goes from weeping about Spesh to planning an assault on New Orleans to suddenly sidelining New Orleans for a sidequest to Manhattan in a matter of minutes. You can really tell that the enigma machine and the ubercommander hunts were tacked on at the last minute to pad out the runtime and they just torch any sense of plot progression. You either do them right away and Anya pesters you about getting to New Orleans on time or you leave them for later in which case you go straight from New Orleans to Venus and suddenly you're two minutes from the end of the game.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 15, 2020

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

With the way AAA games are going I'm expecting them to double down on dumb side mission padding for 3.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Pathos posted:

Yeah, I’m praying Wolf 3 is a return to form. Wolf 2 was just a massive step down from TNO and Old Blood. It wasn’t terrible but it felt like a pretty significant decrease. I’m not entirely sure what happened - I can barely remember most of the levels whereas levels in TNO are still pretty clear in my mind despite not having played since it came out.

Though with Doom Eternal looking like it’s going to be loving fantastic maybe the old FPS remake itch will be scratched enough

Once they world built, I feel like they hit a narrative dead end with BJ.

That and a bunch of bizarre design choices.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Half health, no damage indicator, stealth impossible, and enemy AI that intentionally flanked you to the side offscreen. What were they thinking??

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

poisonpill posted:

Half health, no damage indicator, stealth impossible, and enemy AI that intentionally flanked you to the side offscreen. What were they thinking??

You can't even really replay missions. And despite some of the locations you go to sounding cool, they all actually look bland as hell.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arcsquad12 posted:

The second half of the game doesn't entirely fall apart because the gameplay is much improved with the supersoldier upgrades but man does the pacing go out the window. Grace goes from weeping about Spesh to planning an assault on New Orleans to suddenly sidelining New Orleans for a sidequest to Manhattan in a matter of minutes. You can really tell that the enigma machine and the ubercommander hunts were tacked on at the last minute to pad out the runtime and they just torch any sense of plot progression. You either do them right away and Anya pesters you about getting to New Orleans on time or you leave them for later in which case you go straight from New Orleans to Venus and suddenly you're two minutes from the end of the game.

:hmmyes:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
None of these criticisms are wrong but at least it looks amazing from a technical standpoint. Not level design, but technical. And man those lasers are good. Best video game lasers since FreeSpace 2, maybe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean I really like the way that Machine Games juxtaposes weird as hell humour, Grindhouse aesthetics and the uncompromising brutality of a Nazi regime, but that one scene felt like it was trying to juggle fifteen different emotions at once and also further the plot while accomplishing none of them particularly well.

The scene a lot of critics point to when they say that New Colossus doesn't do tone we'll is when Super Spesh interrupts a dramatic moment between BJ and Anya to loudly declare that the toilet works. I actually really like that scene because it adds levity and immediately justifies itself by showing how an equally dysfunctional relationship between Grace and Spesh can work things out, directly contrasting with Anya and BJ.

Everything up to the decapitation is drat near the narrative highlight of the entire series, only rivaled by the finale of Old Blood and the attack on the Kreisau Circle in New Order.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i thought the toilet thing and the subsequent gag where max beats set at chess were hilarious. the birthday party cutscene too

and yeah ive been fairly impressed with how the idtech 6 games dont need excessively bonkers hardware to look great while running at very high fps

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

site posted:

i thought the toilet thing and the subsequent gag where max beats set at chess were hilarious. the birthday party cutscene too

and yeah ive been fairly impressed with how the idtech 6 games dont need excessively bonkers hardware to look great while running at very high fps

:smug: All thanks to MEGATEXTURES

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pathos posted:

my issue with wolf2 is that its too linear(and feels way to short) and there just isnt enough of america. i wanted more stuff like Roswell or fighting american nazis or an american nazi baddy outside your dad. it felt like alot of the plot got cut out. idk. also better shooting mechanics. TYB is better gunplay wise but the core of that game sucks rear end.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean I really like the way that Machine Games juxtaposes weird as hell humour, Grindhouse aesthetics and the uncompromising brutality of a Nazi regime, but that one scene felt like it was trying to juggle fifteen different emotions at once and also further the plot while accomplishing none of them particularly well.

The scene a lot of critics point to when they say that New Colossus doesn't do tone we'll is when Super Spesh interrupts a dramatic moment between BJ and Anya to loudly declare that the toilet works. I actually really like that scene because it adds levity and immediately justifies itself by showing how an equally dysfunctional relationship between Grace and Spesh can work things out, directly contrasting with Anya and BJ.

Everything up to the decapitation is drat near the narrative highlight of the entire series, only rivaled by the finale of Old Blood and the attack on the Kreisau Circle in New Order.

this. the first half of the game is great but than it just peters out with weird amounts of filler missions that kill the pacing and outside hitler and the ending it. not much happens.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Something that really sells the difference between TNO and TNC is that in TNO to get to the Moon you had to play two missions, one to get an ID and one to actually board the shuttle. In TNC everything to get you to Venus was a cutscene.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Humerus posted:

Something that really sells the difference between TNO and TNC is that in TNO to get to the Moon you had to play two missions, one to get an ID and one to actually board the shuttle. In TNC everything to get you to Venus was a cutscene.

yeah. i feel like the story needed at least one more resistance leader and probably at least 2 more locations. i still would have loved to attack a slave camp or some poo poo or fought the american nazi defence force or whatever they call themselves. also i suck rear end at the enigma machine. so gently caress that poo poo. also venus needed to have more decore. i know hitler was some weird "spartan" rear end in a top hat but idk.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the enigma machine is literally just press left/right to match the symbol and hit enter tho

e: having to replay missions to farm enigma codes was bad and dumb

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Da'at Yichud ever explicitly stated to be Jewish in origin or is it older and just implied to be Jewish due to Set's heritage?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I don't think the games go too deep into it to make it clear. They mostly exist for maximum irony and as a macguffin for the over the top elements.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais did a video on Youngblood yesterday. I don't agree with him on the difficulty since even before the patch I found it pretty straight-forward on Hard except for the godawful bosses, but he does make some pretty good points on the setting and the comments he makes on the twist and the implications for the franchise in the future are pretty damning. The more the current narrative take on the series veers from human experiences into sci-fi nonsense my interest drops fast.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i tried about 30 seconds of it until the youtube man started naturally assuming that the next wolf game is gonna undo the entire series via alt reality shenanigans

personally i just figured it was a nice doom crossover tease

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The overall pretty uninteresting comic that came out around 2's release also had a bunch of cryptic comments through it that hint at the multiverse thing, so currently I'm going to assume it'll factor heavily in 3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do make it a point to mention that Jess and Soph snap BJ out of his reverie for alternate realities by telling him that the world they're in is the one they have to fight for. Doesnt mean they won't play with the God Key in Wolf 3 but I do think they have a venue for sticking with the current timeline.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Seems like it would be pretty dumb on machinegames' part to not have 3 take place post tnc so you can kill hitler, but even with that one page it sounds like in other dimensions bj is killing nazis so i dont get what the big deal is

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There's also Wyatt's drugged out comments about multiple dimensions during his breakdown after the birthday scene in 2 and the whole Wyatt/Fergus timeline choice thing (and whatever the God Key ends up doing). They also include Wolfenstein 2009 as part of their canon and that game had ~~the Veil~~ and multiple universes so it seems like it's something they're building towards in some way.

Wolfenstein III will definitely take place after 2 and you'll get to kill Hitler in the assault on his fortress that's mentioned in a collectible in Youngblood. I'm going to assume they'll pull a The New Order and have some levels take place in the 60s then skip right over to the 80s before and after Youngblood where you play as OldBJ and get to kill Hitler again who's had his brain put in a giant mech body or something as a MechaHitler gag and callback to the Wyatt/Fergus prototype brainrobot fight.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GUI posted:

I don't think the games go too deep into it to make it clear. They mostly exist for maximum irony and as a macguffin for the over the top elements.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais did a video on Youngblood yesterday. I don't agree with him on the difficulty since even before the patch I found it pretty straight-forward on Hard except for the godawful bosses, but he does make some pretty good points on the setting and the comments he makes on the twist and the implications for the franchise in the future are pretty damning. The more the current narrative take on the series veers from human experiences into sci-fi nonsense my interest drops fast.

i kinda assume the whole multiverse thing was about the wyatt fergus divide with wyatt being the one that ends up happier univese and young blood is in Fergus verse.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i have to admit ive played all 3 (3.5??) games multiple times and never once played the wyatt timeline lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

site posted:

i have to admit ive played all 3 (3.5??) games multiple times and never once played the wyatt timeline lol

same but fergus. I like wyatt, he has a very golden age Bucky barnes feel in TNO which i always liked. fergus is cool and good.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I went with the Wyatt timeline first when TNO came out because letting some late teens-something year old get mutilated felt gross and was later surprised at how downbeat the tone of the game was especially without Fergus' wisecracks and later on J's cutscene where he confronts BJ about his naivety regarding the US. Unlike the second game both choices do lead to a slightly different story tonally.
They must've known not many people chose Wyatt (you only have to read comments online or check achievement statistics) and that's why they made him wackier in TNC with Youngblood straight up taking place in the Fergus timeline going off one or two minor background details.

GUI fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 14, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fergus is the better timeline due to the health bonuses and the laserkraftwerk being far better than the armor bonuses and the dieselkrafwerk.

The only good thing about the dieselkrafwerk is that you can cheese the kill house time trial with it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 14, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wyatt just came off as extremely loving annoying (esp his voice, sorry dude but its true ) and i never wanted to deal with a whole game of that, let alone two

i did watch the cutscenes with jimi on youtube tho

GUI posted:

check achievement statistics

whats really depressing is looking at the achievement stats for beating any of the games at all. oof

site fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 14, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

site posted:

You are missing the gently caress out on some good alt-Jimi Hendrix calling BJ out on America only being for white people and telling BJ that back home, he was the Nazis. It's part if what made 2 so disappointing, 1 actually said some poo poo.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wolfenstein The New Order doesn't really have any more bite when it comes to social commentary than The New Colossus does and I think it's one of those things where Bethesda's opportunistic marketing messed with people's perception of the game. J's cutscene in TNO is relegated to a character most people didn't choose and can be easily missed if you don't go to J's room and interact with the bench. TNC is more overt since it's a core part of the main story even if it doesn't go too far with it as the game is ultimately BJ's origin story and rebirth and also a big budget game which doesn't want to scare anyone off. There's some cynical stuff, even in the happier second half of the game, in the collectibles and and idle conversations, but it's tucked away where most people won't see them, eg. things like the idle conversation between a Nazi commander and regular mook about people in the US seeing jewish and colored people as inferior. Which no one will hear because you need to stealth through the entire last section of the bunker Ubercommander mission and it doesn't play again if you don't.

site posted:

whats really depressing is looking at the achievement stats for beating any of the games at all. oof

That's pretty common for any game. Around a decade ago when achievements got really commonplace there were articles about how most people don't finish games and I imagine it's even more common now with frequent digital sales. It's why a ton of titles have lavish introductions then peter out as they go on or boring middle parts with only the introduction and ending hours being worthwhile since that's what sticks in most people's minds (and reviewers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I saved Fergus because I thought Wyatt was a pretty fresh recruit aka doesn't have any particular skills, also Fergus was my friend before the mission started.

site posted:

Payday 2 is a great one because there are stats for starting any mission (85.8%) and for beating any mission, any mission at all on any difficulty (78.6%).

e:

GUI posted:

Wolfenstein The New Order doesn't really have any more bite when it comes to social commentary than The New Colossus does and I think it's one of those things where Bethesda's opportunistic marketing messed with people's perception of the game. J's cutscene in TNO is relegated to a character most people didn't choose and can be easily missed if you don't go to J's room and interact with the bench. TNC is more overt since it's a core part of the main story even if it doesn't go too far with it as the game is ultimately BJ's origin story and rebirth and also a big budget game which doesn't want to scare anyone off. There's some cynical stuff, even in the happier second half of the game, in the collectibles and and idle conversations, but it's tucked away where most people won't see them, eg. things like the idle conversation between a Nazi commander and regular mook about people in the US seeing jewish and colored people as inferior. Which no one will hear because you need to stealth through the entire last section of the bunker Ubercommander mission and it doesn't play again if you don't.

Apologies if it's been posted a million times but I really like the Jacob Geller video about Judaism in Wolfenstein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQQdnve5fQk

Tulip fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 15, 2020