Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I would like to GET PSYCHED without having to give a gently caress about dumbasses on the internet trying impotently to "win" the Culture War™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

So how come this thread doesn't have the icon?

More importantly, how come is not a default icon in games?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

BigglesSWE posted:

It did give us the line "would you look at that; it's raining nazis", which i believe to be the peak of human writing.

One of the great triumps of WolfTNO, besides being an incredibly satisfying Nazi murder simulator, is the quality of its writing. I would not have expected to see some of the best characterization in modern FPSes coming from Wolfenstein and Doom sequels but here we are.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I loved TNO and TOB.

This is looking real good. I'm very excited to slaughter Nazis in America and hopefully IN SPACE again.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'm excited about the game and I'm excited about the people this game is pissing off being pissed off. A good thing, all around.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
I don't want them to take this series back to space. The Nazis were also obsessed with tunneling. Maybe we could get like a giant techno-occult cathedral built into a hollowed out mountain.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've mentioned it before, but there's a couple things about Wolfenstein as a series that sets it apart from other "retro" shooters. First is the fact that there have been new games released relatively consistently, but also far enough apart that each one is different, reflective of its time, and the (tentative) story connections mean that no single one has ever quite been touted as a full on franchise reboot. The second is that, outside of mundane WW2 guns in the earlier games, Wolfenstein lacks a distinctive arsenal. Which is weirdly freeing. Like, every Doom game's going to have a chaingun, rocket launcher and BFG, every Unreal has its flak cannon. But with Wolfenstein they can start fresh each time.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 14, 2017

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This is literally the only game remotely exciting at e3.

It's going to be SO GOOD.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Is there going to be multiplayer in this new wolf game? Will it be bad like ET or great like RtCW?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did a quick playthrough of part 2 of old blood. Mick Gordon is one hell of a composer. FROM THE SHADOWS!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I don't want them to take this series back to space. The Nazis were also obsessed with tunneling. Maybe we could get like a giant techno-occult cathedral built into a hollowed out mountain.

The Hollow Earth. I hope you team up with the mole-men.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

busb posted:

Is there going to be multiplayer in this new wolf game? Will it be bad like ET or great like RtCW?

RtCW was a high mark in online gaming. That level of variety in roles and diversity of objectives wouldn't be matched again until, for me anyway, TF2.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I am going to kill Nazis IN THE CENTER OF THE GODDAMN EARTH by kicking them right into molten blood of our world! Wasn't there supposed plans about the Nazis building a doomsday weapon that was just nuke the core?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Nazis in Antarctica. Nazis in South America. Nazis under the sea. There are Nazi assholes all over the world and William J. Blazkowicz is going to personally kill each and every last one of them with his bare hands on the Terror-Billy "Death to All Nazi Assholes" tour, coming soon to wherever Nazis are.

busb posted:

TNO was strictly singleplayer only, and I feel like if there was going to be multiplayer in this one they'd have made a bigger deal about it, so I'm fairly certain there won't be. Which I'm okay with because I'd rather they keep things focused than waste time and effort with lovely multiplayer that nobody likes ala DOOM.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
They confirmed in a post-conference livestream that TNC is all single-player, all the time.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Playing New Order right now, because gently caress it, I have some time. I have to say, it is quite good. One thing that just put a big smile on my face was the 'nightmare'. I played the original Wolfenstein back when it was new, so that was a nice callback.

So far, I am basically split between stealth killing with throwing knives, and mowing down people with double rifles/shotguns. Very fun. Game looks great too.

I feel like the weakest part of the game is the cutscenes. They aren't particularly high quality, and I am not a fan of taking control away from a player in order to tell story.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 14, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The cutscenes are the only parts of the game that have aa on because Doom 4 didn't refine the engine yet, and I actually quite like them for their flair. Old Blood is more player driven with every (very short) cutscene done in first person.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Playing New Order right now, because gently caress it, I have some time. I have to say, it is quite good. One thing that just put a big smile on my face was the 'nightmare'. I played the original Wolfenstein back when it was new, so that was a nice callback.

So far, I am basically split between stealth killing with throwing knives, and mowing down people with double rifles/shotguns. Very fun. Game looks great too.

I feel like the weakest part of the game is the cutscenes. They aren't particularly high quality, and I am not a fan of taking control away from a player in order to tell story.

The greatest thing about the stealth in TNO was you never had to. You could and it was very effective, but if you got spotted it wasn't like "darn, better reset to the last checkpoint" it was more like "well, time to bust out double assault rifles and go to town." I hope TNC is exactly the same.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, I definitely enjoy that aspect of the game. It isn't just a quicksave-quickload simulator, like what you tend to see with other games involving stealth.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if the power suit will be customization at all, or if it's just a story related thing you only get to use when the story says so.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

I hope a lot of DOOM rubbed off on the new game so I can have less tedious Old Blood stealth sneaking and more in your face gunblazing
I want to rip an inbred klansman's jaw off and slap him across the face with it

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Mordja posted:

I've mentioned it before, but there's a couple things about Wolfenstein as a series that sets it apart from other "retro" shooters. First is the fact that there have been new games released relatively consistently, but also far enough apart that each one is different, reflective of its time, and the (tentative) story connections mean that no single one has ever quite been touted as a full on franchise reboot. The second is that, outside of mundane WW2 guns in the earlier games, Wolfenstein lacks a distinctive arsenal. Which is weirdly freeing. Like, every Doom game's going to have a chaingun, rocket launcher and BFG, every Unreal has its flak cannon. But with Wolfenstein they can start fresh each time.

I'd have to say its iconic weapon is the gatling/chaingun, which has shown up in every iteration in some way. They tried to make the Tesla weapons into a big deal in RTCW and Wolf09 but I think it was wise that TNO went with more traditional lasers instead.

There's also the flamethrower, which TNO and TOB missed out on, but TNC is bringing back in all of its glory.

mllaneza posted:

RtCW was a high mark in online gaming. That level of variety in roles and diversity of objectives wouldn't be matched again until, for me anyway, TF2.

TF2 can't hold RTCW's jock. I'd love to get an MP that's more similar to RTCW but I don't think something that requires a high level of cooperation between seven player teams is really coming back.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I wonder if the power suit will be customization at all, or if it's just a story related thing you only get to use when the story says so.

It might be the new laser weapon upgrade thing? Where you find upgrades to it (for some reason) scattered around the game, but not really in places where you'd miss them. There are definitely points in the trailers where gameplay-BJ has it and appears to not have it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
On my last TNO play through I found a 'targeting scope' upgrade for the LKW with a really modest description, something like "it highlights enemies and tells you how many shots you need to kill them."

Well it also discharges those shots instantly, meaning you can delete riot Nazis with one peek :stare:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

General Battuta posted:

On my last TNO play through I found a 'targeting scope' upgrade for the LKW with a really modest description, something like "it highlights enemies and tells you how many shots you need to kill them."

Well it also discharges those shots instantly, meaning you can delete riot Nazis with one peek :stare:

It can also target like 3 or 4 enemies at once.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That scope is great for murdering Uber soldiers in one discharge

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So Gamespot did an interview and revealed some neat not-so spoilery poo poo

-You can mix and match weapons when dual wielding. So you can have a suppressed pistol in one hand and an automatic shotgun in the other
-The Submarine acts as a mobile hub location that can travel between the level locations
-For 100% completionist people, you can revisit any previous level from the submarine hub and that level will be changed, be it time of day or significantly more on fire or destroyed from your previous visit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL3R7beiIIg

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bolow posted:

So Gamespot did an interview and revealed some neat not-so spoilery poo poo

-You can mix and match weapons when dual wielding. So you can have a suppressed pistol in one hand and an automatic shotgun in the other
Aha, I'd figured as much from the trailer. Cool beans about the sub.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The stuff with the sub and revisiting levels sounds like a better version of Wolf '09's hubworld, which was kinda cool but became kind of a pain to traverse every time you wanted to go from Level A to Level B.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
If TNC combines TNO's narrative design with TOB's player driven level and gameplay it will quite literally be the greatest game ever made. Being able to gun down Nazi sympathizer KKK fuckfaces is just a sweet cherry on top.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

If TNC combines TNO's narrative design with TOB's player driven level and gameplay it will quite literally be the greatest game ever made. Being able to gun down Nazi sympathizer KKK fuckfaces is just a sweet cherry on top.

Shooting a Nazi is always the feel-good moment of your day. Until the next one. Adding Klansmen as opponents victims can only add to the joy.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

mllaneza posted:

Shooting a Nazi is always the feel-good moment of your day. Until the next one. Adding Klansmen as opponents victims can only add to the joy.

Let's hope they don't do what Mafia 3 did: water them down and not even refer to them as the Klan.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
We've been tricked guys. Wolfenstein:TNC isn't an FPS, it's a walking simulator where BJ Blaskowitz is an undercover reporter who needs to axe the hard questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO0MxHaw-IA

Mordja fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 15, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mordja posted:

We've been tricked guys. Wolfenstein:TNC isn't an FPS, it's a walking simulator where BJ Blaskowitz is an undercover reporter who needs to axe the hard questions.

"There are a lot of things you can do with a hatchet and a Nazi."

Game Design 101 right there, that's the good stuff.

And the Klan ? I want bad guys in white robes with guns to shoot at.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Mordja posted:

See, these guys GET Wolfenstein. The way they talk about the choice of stealth or guns blazing, how you can make up for loving up your stealth by just going bananas is it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I want a weapon that makes a funny use of ragdolls. Maybe an electric whip that grabs people and lets you smash them into walls until they gib.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

mllaneza posted:

I know it's just the constant internet exposure talking but when I hear lines like that or "Who doesn't want to kill Nazi's?" from the developers themselves I can't help but feel there's some trolling going on.

He's still right of course.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Mordja posted:

That grin at, "Who doesn't want to kill Nazis?"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mllaneza posted:

I'll be honest here, I'd have more fun killing Klansfucks when they're sniveling on the floor going "I'm not German, please don't kill me" or "we were just removing the garbage of America until a great white savior like you came". I also hope they have special death animations for being burned while also under their dumb robes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Scalding Coffee posted:

If I wanted to shoot the grandfathers of AntiFA, should I start with 2009 or the newer games?

you mean play as?