Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
BJ's gotta be able to have a kid at some point so that the Doom marine can come to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
MAJOR SPOILERS, discussion about the plot : I'm sure BJ dies at his execution and all the rest is a hallucination. The preganant Anya backflipping and orgasming on BJ simply destroyed my sense of disbelief. To me, his mind in denial of his death fabricates a whole plot that puts his ideals at the forefront (fighting nazis in more ludicrous ways, friends making it alright out of the garage, the ideal amazon warrior wife he's got that is matching his feats of destruciton). It's too bad because before that they were kinda pulling off a kind of total recall vibe for me but not anymore and I simply can't engage on the story once i'm sure the protagonist of our power fantasy is actually dead.

Honestly, I'm disappointed by the game, The whole marriage ring subplot was completely ignored. Nothing was done with the flying ship you capture. It's kind of a waste really. I was shocked when you kill the female general because of how easy it was. Deathshead was a much better boss and Antagonist to BJ.

On a positive note though, The Hitler scene was very very well done. I love the fact they used everything they could in the plot to make him a piece of poo poo that wasn't worth two pennies.

I'm super disappointed. I started on hard since I passed the other one and it's expansion on Uber difficulty twice. Did a level or two at that difficulty and brought it down to medium which was still unfairly hard at times because of how difficult it was to know when you're being shot and where enemies where around you. Doom works in this type of arena shooter better because enemies aren't Hitscan, Wolfenstein doesn't really work as well as there's no way to outrun bullets.

Checkpoints were real bad. Around four times I got an autosave just before a dog or enemy pounced on me and basically had to go back a save to restart as there wasn't a way to survive the attack on time.

Played on two computers, both had different weird glitches. Game looks good though if you can run it. The ship HUB is a bit unsatisfying to navigate and I still couldn't tell where I was supposed to go without looking at a map. The hint and guide nodes that appear are sometimes super hard to find and I blame the UI for it. They really dropped the ball on giving the player feedback on where he's supposed to be going.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 29, 2017

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Actually, that could be a good way to make the plot progress and re-engage me in the story. I just feel like they've wrote themselves into a pickle with Anya being a female schwarzenegger and other stuff I mentioned earlier.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Not really, She's important and a good character in TNO and TNC but they change her character a lot in TNC to make her into a straight up action hero. It clashes tremendously with TNO's treatment of her character.

To argue against your point that shows knows how to use a gun in TNO:

There's a huge difference between her using a gun to waste Nazis in the early parts of TNC and her sliding, lobbing grenades, doing a flip getting straight up naked and orgasming on BJ in three seconds in TNC.

To me, That's the kind of thing BJ would want to do. He definitely gets off on the violence. While we didn't see any of those traits in Anya in TNO.

Sure, she admits the violence turns her on. But, at this point I'm pretty sure they were going for a story where you could argue it's all a hallucination imagined by the mind of BJ fading away or it's all real and both ways of seeing it work but the script lost itself cutting content or something. Also, I think they wanted to show off a topless pregnant lady as lots of other progressive female rights topics have been approached in this game (breastfeeding, using male genitalia terminology to demonstrate something powerful) but it just felt really awkward in the context of one of the last scenes of the game.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Dewgy posted:

You should definitely replay TNO and actually pay attention to Anya, because I'm pretty sure you completely missed all of her characterization there. She leads a prison breakout and is already a serial Nazi murderer. She also mentions over the radio a few missions earlier how she's getting all "excited" from being pregnant. Only difference with TNC is her badassery actually happens on screen.

Another point: Remember how in TNO after the mental institution escape, you save Anya as she's knocked out right by the car? Ever notice that BJ isn't the one who shoves Müller in the trunk?

You could be a bit less patronizing.
I have replayed TNO before the game came out.

Anya was knocked out in TNO just before you snap out of your coma and kill the Nazi. The officer you're talking about hides like a coward in the trunk when you run to her aid. I just checked on a video.

BJ leads the prison escape, she masterminds the plan. Huge difference.

There's a huge difference between being excited (physically and emotionally) at the idea of being pregnant and straight up ripping off your clothes and having an orgasm when you kill a bunch of dudes. As another poster said, she was already a killer before, but more of the cloak and dagger type. She's got a lot more forethought than BJ (as it's been demonstrated many times now how BJ doesn't really plan ahead and mostly just wings it when trouble comes up) and when they meet she figures out he can wreak a lot more havoc than she can and so they both use their respective strengths (she plans missions he can create the most damage in).

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

General Battuta posted:

I mean it's obviously a set up for some titties but Anya rips her top off cause it's on fire, not b/c she's overwhelmed by ardor (the cutscene director was instead, thus setting her top on fire). I don't remember a flip or an orgasm, she's just pretty turned on iirc? It read to me as just another goofy fun moment in a game with a monkey cat, an evil robot arm, submarine loving, and Hitler puke. The villain stops mid-execution to berate her fat daughter who is there for no reason.

I think Anya gets excited about Nazi murder because her entire sex life up to BJ has involved murdering Nazis after seducing them and this probably creates some deeply hosed up associations :v:

You make a lot of good points, I'm hyperbolic about the flip and it was more of a side barrel roll or something but my point was mainly that it was grotesquely over the top. She simply couldn't do that stuff being pregnant as gently caress. she definitely had some kind of orgasm as the blood fell over her. I mean, she doesn't just fall on top of BJ without her top on. The director definitely was screaming stuff between the lines.

The goofy moments are fine in the game, I was happy with them and they already communicated to us properly that it was a goofy game in TNO. I just feel like they pushed it too much in the goofy direction and having BJ sometimes a bit more melancholous helped ground the game a bit.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

McTimmy posted:

There are two prison escapes in TNO, folks. Three if you wanna stretch it.

Which ones? there's the Birkenau Prison camp escape but that's the only one I recall.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Oh, I kinda consider BJ doing most of the legwork when you break Wyatt and Fergus out. She's just the getaway driver.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

GUI posted:

Yeah, I have no idea where that's coming from. There's one ~~joke~~ in the New Orleans level where she says being pregnant is making her excited, but that's about it.

Sure, I think the final topless killing scene we had was the punchline to that joke.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Dandywalken posted:

With BJs portrayal in TNC, is it possible that the perceived commentary on the generic FPS heros evolution over time from TNO was just us huffing our own farts? Or is there another layer of nuance in BJs portrayal outside the obvious with Rip, etc?

I think in TNO the writing of the ''sad'' bits was at times a bit too heavy handed, but I liked it enough. I don't think we were huffing our own farts, I really just feel like we played an unfinished game. The grey hallway comment a few posts up is true. there were a LOT of boring corridors with at times unclear directions we should've been going towards in my experience.

Edit : I completely agree with this

Dapper_Swindler posted:

while i agree. i liked TNC though not as much as TNO and the first half more then the second. what i was more annoyed by is how they under used the setting. like yeah they handled the themes well enough using Roswell and rip as examples. but their should have been more locations and honestly more villains. i feel like there should have been more levels after New Orleans and probably another resistance leader. I genuinely did like Hitler's portrayal though.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I think there's some merit to the RPS article. But It's also kind of clickbait at this point.

It made me feel bad playing a game with "progressive" writing where so many characters that are supposedly your friends all bicker and hate each other at many points

Story wise, the first half of the game was somewhat realistic in regards to how it follows the first game's setting, the second half is unrealistic with anya doing flips and getting naked in an orgasm of blood and guns on the recomposed body of BJ that's refused death. It makes me think somewhat of Total Recall where you enter the fantasy of the main character.

I believe they truly tried to make it fit the trope of "it might all be a dream" but the writing was so bad that I couldn't enjoy any of it. It kind of ruined my interest in the next game to be honest. I dunno.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 2, 2019

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Man, every time I see this thread pop up I remember my first time playing and being disappointed by the story and forced action moments in this game. Is the newer game with the twins better story wise? Or is it similar to what was in TNC?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mordja posted:

There's barely any story in it at all.

Hmm, would you recommend it then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

site posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by forced action moments but yeah in general youngbloods pretty fun

Where you can't do stealth. You know, forced action.