Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m finally playing this game since it was on sale. I loved the New Order and Old Blood. One thing I will say is that so far the game is gorgeous. I’m running at ultrawide resolution with all graphics options turned up, and it never dips below 100fps. one complaint I have though (and I had the same complaint from the first game) is the enemies blend into their surroundings a little too well. Sometimes I want to just run and gun, and I keep getting shot because nazis are chameleons and hide right in front of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

The trouble is that New Colossus's story was written in 2015-2016 before the neofascist wave really started to hit hard in North America, so the game has a different tact regarding american racism than what audiences were led to expect by the marketing. It's a game that simultaneously wants to condemn the horrific nature of Jim Crow segregation and violence against minorities, but also firmly believes that America's fighting spirit will always rise against all tyrants, and the will to fight can come from anyone regardless of race, gender or ethnicity. That in itself isn't a bad setup for a story, but it's one that would have been a lot more resonant before real life decided that 2016-onwards would be a horrific nightmare where good things don't happen.

The marketing for TNC was awesome, but it was selling a premise that the game's actual story wasn't written for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnJBoHVdihg

This is the best video I've watched trying to dissect what TNC was going for.

I don’t ever really overthink this poo poo. It’s a video game. I’m here to shoot nazis and watch BJ brood.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I take all the games as canon and just use mentally ambiguous time lines. The gist being that poo poo from 3D, RTCW and 09 is “stuff that BJ did/happened to BJ” and let the games pick up from there. I think that’s the designer’s intention as well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The issue with Wolf 09 is less that it’s underrated (it is tho) but that it’s the only Wolf game not available digitally. I no longer buy games on disc anymore unless it’s a collector’s edition and I’m sure I’m not alone.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can I play new Wolf by myself and have a fun time? Still need to complete TNC first I guess.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I haven’t played this game, only read this thread and watched a couple of reviews. The way I understood the game to be is that it’s hub based and you have to go out and kill poo poo and level up before even considering tackling the main story content.

If you’re a lower level than a given quest, you just go grind until you’re the appropriate level and then proceed. Am I understanding that correctly? Again, I haven’t played, but it seems pretty simple. Does the game do a poor job of gating encounters or something, or does it not give enough info as to how to proceed?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

We need more songs like Mick Gordon/Tex Perkin's "The Partisan". That song was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want to start another go at New Colossus where I go full combat and ignore stealth. Is it viable to do that or am I going to hurt myself because of all the hitscan weapons and bad damage feedback?

I like the game a lot but it has some glaring problems. I have no issue with the story (apart from it not ragging on Americans more and being two levels too short) but the gameplay needs some tuning.

I just put the game on the easiest difficulty and played this way. It was a lot of fun and I heartily recommend it. This game seems really punishing on anything above easy, mainly because the enemies see to be the same color as the environment at all times.