Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've mentioned it before, but there's a couple things about Wolfenstein as a series that sets it apart from other "retro" shooters. First is the fact that there have been new games released relatively consistently, but also far enough apart that each one is different, reflective of its time, and the (tentative) story connections mean that no single one has ever quite been touted as a full on franchise reboot. The second is that, outside of mundane WW2 guns in the earlier games, Wolfenstein lacks a distinctive arsenal. Which is weirdly freeing. Like, every Doom game's going to have a chaingun, rocket launcher and BFG, every Unreal has its flak cannon. But with Wolfenstein they can start fresh each time.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bolow posted:

So Gamespot did an interview and revealed some neat not-so spoilery poo poo

-You can mix and match weapons when dual wielding. So you can have a suppressed pistol in one hand and an automatic shotgun in the other
Aha, I'd figured as much from the trailer. Cool beans about the sub.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
We've been tricked guys. Wolfenstein:TNC isn't an FPS, it's a walking simulator where BJ Blaskowitz is an undercover reporter who needs to axe the hard questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO0MxHaw-IA

Mordja fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 15, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

echronorian posted:

Wolfenstein is the greatest fps series and oh my God I'm so excited at all of this thanks for the great op

Wolfenstein definitely holds a special place in my heart, since RTCW was the first FPS I really played on my own computer. I did a big RTCW->2009->TOB->TNO run when I bought the latter two and they're all great shooters in their own way.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

There's another interview with Giant Bomb, which is worth watching if only because poor Jens is very tired, very drunk and just wants to vape in a nice quiet corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsvlGqdnqBs

One interesting thing mentioned is that the Big Choice this time around has more of a gameplay effect than it did last time around by changing your "signature weapon" - one path gets your old friend the Lazerkraftwerk, the other gets a different toy, the Dieselkraftwerk.
So they all but confirmed mechahitler for end boss if they get to make a third game. Speaking of, that's got to take place in Russia, right?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Werix posted:

I also want to echo the sentiment that Wolf09 is a great loving game, and is my favorite Wolf game after TNO. It had a great World War Weird feel, and was really varied in the levels, from farm (with underground bunker) mental hospital, airship in the sky, etc.

I do wonder if they'll ever explore the supernatural in a "numbered" Wolfenstein game again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, German is a language for and by psychopaths. It's no wonder Hitler was born in that most degenerate of nations, Austria.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Werix posted:

I didn't recognize it at all, but now that you point it out, I can only hear Avitus.

Oh god, you're right. :stare:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If BJ really does lose his body in TNC, he just might be one by the time the third game rolls around...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A Buttery Pastry posted:

When in doubt, it was always political expediency. The Germans/Nazis used to be on China's side, until it was clear China wasn't in any shape to do anything for them. Hell, Hitler was a flexible guy, he apparently ended up putting Slavs on top of his racial chart when the USSR started wrecking their poo poo - figuring that the German people had failed him and now deserved extermination themselves.

Talk about spoilt grapes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CommissarMega posted:

Wasn't one of the patriot-villains in that cartoon a black dude? Certainly looked like one.

Yeah, the redcoat.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Among all the wild and wonderful weapons in Wolfenstein 09, I loved that you could upgrade the Kar98 to literally explode heads. No Venom Gun though, so yeah, game sucked hot garbage, 8/10.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, they have all these nuclear warheads just lying around, gotta get some use out of'em.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Since you're going to Area 52, I hope and pray that you can recruit a space alien as one of your allies.

E: Seems weapon upgrading is back and it looks to be on about the same level as Wolfenstein 09, so nothing overwhelming.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 27, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Or is it Sputnik posted:

BJ is literally 50 years old in this game

I've been roped into pre-ordering so many times the only way I'm paying to get poo poo that won't exist for a year, is if I have irrefutable proof it's just not going to be availible later as just another DLC. Off the top of my head the only (gameplay) pre-order bonus that stayed exclusive was Evil Within, which to this day is unavailible.

"But Sputnik, you'll save :10bux: on the bundle"

So I'll be a rich sucker who can play the DLC on the same day as anyone who didn't pre-order, No Thanks.

Click the link, the preorder DLC is also part of the season pass.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, you'd think they'd only outlaw...

dark chocolate! :iamafag:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cryohazard posted:

This basically confirms that BJ's gonna die at the end :(

I mean, dude deserves some rest, but still.

What? How so? I mean for one thing there's probably gonna be a third game so...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

David D. Davidson posted:

Anya is pregnant with twins.

"I will name them Doomguy and Commander Keen. It's what BJ would have wanted."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xenomrph posted:

For those that liked Wolf09, Raven Software's spiritual follow-up "Singularity" was loving great.

I just didn't much care for it. Some of the weirder weapons were cool, but you pretty much only got them in very specific, scripted instances, otherwise you were stuck with a standard console-shooter arsenal, and I didn't find the powers and enemies as fun to use and fight as they should have been. I think I played Wolf09 and Singularity around the same time and I much preferred the former.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats what i heard too. same timeshift apperently. that game was supposed to have this detailed story line and poo poo but none of it happens. you get some vaugue cutscenes and some half tossed together thing.

Timeshift was remade, practically from scratch. It was originally this weird, retro-futurist thing they even released a demo for, before delaying and rebuilding it into a generic sci-fi setting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I dual wielded all the time and almost never used sights. Why shoot one gun when you could shoot two?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

kefkafloyd posted:

Titan announced a new Wolfenstein tie-in comic out today at your local comic shop. Check out that cover.

https://titan-comics.com/c/1030-wolfenstein/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09/12/wolfenstein-ii-professor-comic-book/

Would have been cooler if it was styled like a Silver Age comic instead.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

King Vidiot posted:

Random people calling her Helga in the comments but thanks!

She looks a lot like Helga von Bulow from RTCW.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Shooting Blanks posted:

My only concern at this point is that my machine won't be able to run it. It's due for an upgrade this year but that's not in the cards financially right now, dammit.

Isn't it supposed to be better optimized than TNO since it's running on the newer idtech?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

King Vidiot posted:

Mein Gott! Es gibt einen schwarzer Terroristen in meiner Tochter!

Danke schooooen!!!! :argh: :godwinning:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, that's the only German I know despite living in Austria for two years.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A previous video suggested that weapon upgrades are coming back, I hope they actually change the look of the guns like they did in Wolf09.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cicadalek posted:

The upgrades look rad. I am finding that one of my weird tastes in games is that a weapon upgrade MUST change the look of a gun somehow, or it's inherently very unsatisfying. The first Bioshock was great for that. You could upgrade the shotgun with a quicker fire rate or something, which manifested in the form of a bunch of really dumb cogs spinning in the receiver. love that poo poo

Unironically the best part of Bioshock 1 and I was very disappointed that Infinite didn't have it/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kibayasu posted:

BJ super drunk or drugged by commies?

Well. moonshine is pretty strong stuff.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just started replaying TNO in anticipation, in fact. Hey, guess what, it's still good! Last time around, I actually replayed RTCW and Wolf'09 before it and TOB and each Wolfenstein game is great in its own way, even though I never got into 3D.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Leaked footage from the game's penultimate level.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just beat TNO again in preparation for the new one. Still one hell of a shooter, if somewhat diminished by nu-Doom and Titanfall 2 coming out in the intervening years. A few thoughts, mostly minor nitpicks.

-Sometimes didn't care for the story as much the second time around, just wanted to shoot folks. Not helped by the fact that I went with the Wyatt timeline and he's really drat boring
-Playing on the second-hardest difficulty, those heavy shotgun guys just suck to fight. As I recall, TOB let you shoot their tanks to blow them up easily which would have been much appreciated
-While it's rightfully seen as a harbinger for the return of old-school shooting campaign, it also kind of isn't. Most levels are almost completely linear and just about all the enemies are hitscan
-You really don't spend any time at all on the surface of the moon, which is a drat shame
-Some of the sounds are kind of wimpy
-The guns were fun use but also kind of boring, taken as a whole. Especially since Wolf09 and RTCW have some real standout weapons
-The Deathshead fight is a pain in the rear end, specifically when you just have to run to those flack guns with zero cover. Second phase was all right, though incredibly easy

But yeah, not to sound like I'm bitching about the game because I still love it and can't wait for October 27.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AdmiralViscen posted:

I enjoyed TNO pretty well but never played TOB. Is it worth going back to before this comes out? I didn't really like the encouraged stealth of the original. Is TOB a little more arcadey?

TOB's got a near-mandatory, overlong stealth sequence at the very beginning, but I do think it makes some decent gameplay improvements over TNO and has some good maps. It's also got way less story stuff and has a more campy tone, so if you're coming to nu-Wolf for its narrative then you'll probably be disappointed.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 11, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

blackguy32 posted:

I've always liked the supernatural aspects of Wolfenstein over the technological stuff. Although it's great when both are incorporated like RTCW

Yeah, I do hope they return to it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FAUXTON posted:

Wolfenstein II: Bustin' Nazis Makes Me Feel Good

I mean, that one gun from Wolf09 was pretty much a proton pack, so.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

General Battuta posted:

Didn't figure this out until I played on highest difficulty but if you throw enough tesla grenades at his shield it'll stun him for a while (maybe while he plays his recharge animation?) That's when you're supposed to make a break for the guns.

*Indecipherable swearing noises*

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

It's okay, the first level makes a poor impression but it gets better after that, never quite reaches the heights of TNO though and the weapons are a bit boring since it's all just WW2 stuff.
?

The weapons are basically the same in functionality as TNO's, and the rocket pistol's even making a return in the new one. Generally though, I do think that nu-Wolfenstein has been lacking somewhat when it comes to weapon design, automatik flak guns obviously excluded.

Sakurazuka posted:

Has there ever been an FPS that has bosses and they didn't suck?
I thought Shadow Warrior's bosses were cool. Less so SW2's.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I wish Dusk actually was coming out the same day as this does because that would have been one hell of a day for shooters.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have been playing through wolfenstein 2009 and its aged pretty well. its actualy fun as xeno and others have said plus i forgot how gory it is.
It's also got way more interesting weapons than TNO. I'm glad that the Laserkraftwerk in Colossus seems to be drawing a little bit from 09's particle gun, because it was a really "meh" weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arcsquad12 posted:

The weapon selection in Old Blood was better than New Order, mainly because the Bombenschuss is a loving awesome bolt action, and the Schockhammer is not a one hit KO like the autoshotty in TNO. The biggest killer is that the guns don't feel especially powerful in either game, but I chalk that up to the less than stellar audio mixing during gameplay. The guns just sound weaker than they should.

Yeah, I noticed the sound thing a lot more the second time, with DO4M in mind. Which is a shame because the visual effect they have on people is real good.

E: Anyone if gamebillet is a legit key reseller? It's the only place I've seen offering discounts (22% off) which is somewhat uncharacteristic, I think.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 20, 2017