Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I enjoyed the Old Blood way more than New Order. It's a lot more straightforward with the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I've always liked the supernatural aspects of Wolfenstein over the technological stuff. Although it's great when both are incorporated like RTCW

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Pendent posted:

I think you mean the perfect amount of time with them

E: Honestly BJ's character ark in the Wyatt timeline would be pretty good justification for him turning into a leftist, given the conversations regarding race with not-Jimi Hendrix

I kind of hope they address more of that and continue that conversation in the new one. It annoyed the hell out of me that they kind of left that thread dangling like that despite Jimi Hendrix being spot on.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

precision posted:

Are any remotely sane people actually making a stink about this game? I thought it was just terrible comment section stuff

Since its not out yet, no. But there was plenty to criticize about TNO.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I hated having to push a button to pick everything up. The shotgun guys. The over focus on cutting fences with your laser and some of the base parts.

The Old Blood fixed A LOT of the problems I had with TNO.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

While robots are cool, it's just not Wolfenstein without something similar to zombies with knives for hands and guns in their chests.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Come on TNC, gimme a sweet m14 related weapon.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I finally beat it but I can't really say that I was too impressed by it. I think I am going to wait and see for the 3rd one because the first half of this game felt like a slog and then the game kind of picked up in New Orleans and then turned back into a slog by Venus.

Most of the cool stuff happens in cutscenes and some of the cutscenes just feel way too goofy for me.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, like. I get that's it's a game and we need to buy into a certain plot.

But at a certain point gently caress it? Like you are telling me all Americans stood by while all the minorities, disabled folk, LGBT, and Jewish peoples were rounded up and murdered? And knew it was happening and let it happen happily because of institutional racism?

Like I get the point they were trying to make, but by making that point America doesn't exist anymore. You can't bring the fighting spirit back to half the country that committed an atrocity that severe. There is no comeback from that kind of action. They were trying to make a statement on institutional racism in America, and how severe it was/is, but went so far with it that you can't really bring that nation back without inherently buying into a video game style plot.

And like we never see any nuance in any of it, or any real divide between Americans or......anything. We see a single guy getting drunk behind a garage in Roswell complaining about how the Nazis stole his country. But that's just not enough to even justify why anybody in this narrative thinks America can or would be willing to start the third World War.

Nothing in this narrative makes me believe there will be any reaction to the events of the end of the game. Like for all Horton says about people sitting there eating their brautwurst happily, or Wyatt says about American values nothing in this game was even remotely positive to the idea of America, or even what America should/could be. The America we saw in New Colossus was an America that'd have witnessed BJ killing Engel on live tv, and instantly went to tell their kids about how the nasty terrorists are hurting our Nazi pals.

It's especially egregious because New Order talked about this kind of stuff. You learn when the Nazis came for England, they fought for every beach, every street, every house. They fought door to door until the Monitor was unleashed on them for their resistance. We learn Poland, France, and Russia had resistance movements that went on for years past WW2 that the Nazis had to slowly but surely crack down on. Yet for America we just welcomed them and that was that.

It's really weird.

It's like they haven't really reconciled how bad racism is within their narrative to how racism actually plays out in real life.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Jose Mengelez posted:

The american right really wouldn't enjoy being under the heel of a foreign power though, even the most die hard racist would take umbrage at being forced to learn german and kiss filthy eurotrash rear end on the daily. Its not that the games suggests average american is super happy to be under the nazis it's that they're scared shitless of their gigantic fire-breathing robot dogs and hulking frankenterrors and feel the enemy is untouchable.

The American Right continues to not really give a poo poo that Russia played a huge hand in our last election. Sell it to them the right way, and they will accept it.

Hell, even elements of the American Left, keep trying to downplay it.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 12, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Check after the credits. But in the end, I agree. I found the game to be disappointing as hell both gameplay wise and story wise. So much stuff just felt underdeveloped in terms of story.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I thought a ton of the parts were just half-baked. Like the whole childhood section just felt like poo poo put in there that really didn't matter at all. The part with the Klansmen felt out of place as well.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

The cutscenes/story were the best things about TNC

I'm not sure if this is a compliment.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I was actually kind of disappointed that the games never really reconciled the vile racism that was rampant in America that led to things like Nazis having traction today. TNO kind of hints at it but it's quickly dropped and it was kind of spot on at how poorly BJ reacted to it.

Then TNC seems to be all over the place to where even when the topic of racism is kind of covered, the tone is off or if it's going for comedy, the comedy is poo poo.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

The trouble is that New Colossus's story was written in 2015-2016 before the neofascist wave really started to hit hard in North America, so the game has a different tact regarding american racism than what audiences were led to expect by the marketing. It's a game that simultaneously wants to condemn the horrific nature of Jim Crow segregation and violence against minorities, but also firmly believes that America's fighting spirit will always rise against all tyrants, and the will to fight can come from anyone regardless of race, gender or ethnicity. That in itself isn't a bad setup for a story, but it's one that would have been a lot more resonant before real life decided that 2016-onwards would be a horrific nightmare where good things don't happen.

The marketing for TNC was awesome, but it was selling a premise that the game's actual story wasn't written for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnJBoHVdihg

This is the best video I've watched trying to dissect what TNC was going for.

Yeah, I know. It just feels weird now because in hindsight, somebody like BJ is the last person to probably lead the resistance right now.

I honestly thought that the scene with BJ and J was the most interesting part of TNO and was sad that they didn't flesh it out more.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think alot of people were disappointed that that the suit that was badass in TNO doesn't do poo poo in TNC. Also it's psychologically affecting when your total health can't go past 50.

The Old Blood is still my favorite. I always liked the occult and body experimentation of the original and that at least has it. Plus it doesn't bite off more than it can chew with the racism stuff.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Where does Old Blood fit in the timeline? Is it a "remake" of Rtcw or is it just very similar events to that game that takes place after it?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I decided to replay a little of The Old Blood today and got the line about Deathshead's X-labs.

I got a bit confused because the opening of The Old Blood plays out just like the Opening to RTCW

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Humerus posted:

The third Machinegames entry could still pull out a wild time travel/alt dimension thing to reconcile not just pre-TNO games but also the two timelines from TNO.

Basically Enter the Spider-verse but with 5 BJs and a hell of a lot of dead nazis

One Blascowicz is enough. I feel like there is nowhere for his character to go. TNC would have been a fitting end for him but I felt like the narrative poo poo the bed after those events.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The Old Blood is great because it's straightforward. I felt that the base segments of the other ones are the worst part.

Also Wolfenstein 09 is criminally underrated.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I am just hoping that the take a step back from the story or do something because I thought the storyline of TNC was poo poo. After a certain point in the story, I just stopped caring. You can probably guess what point that was.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Didn't matter. The semi auto rifle was op as hell

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

McSpanky posted:

I'm imagining the alt-right twitter rage at a sequence where you can drive through a Klan parade and I weep for the lost opportunity.

Just play Mafia 3 instead and fulfill that satisfaction.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Pathos posted:

Yeah, I’m praying Wolf 3 is a return to form. Wolf 2 was just a massive step down from TNO and Old Blood. It wasn’t terrible but it felt like a pretty significant decrease. I’m not entirely sure what happened - I can barely remember most of the levels whereas levels in TNO are still pretty clear in my mind despite not having played since it came out.

Though with Doom Eternal looking like it’s going to be loving fantastic maybe the old FPS remake itch will be scratched enough

Once they world built, I feel like they hit a narrative dead end with BJ.

That and a bunch of bizarre design choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

poisonpill posted:

Half health, no damage indicator, stealth impossible, and enemy AI that intentionally flanked you to the side offscreen. What were they thinking??

You can't even really replay missions. And despite some of the locations you go to sounding cool, they all actually look bland as hell.