Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
In addition to shootin, stabbin, and stranglin Nazis, we can now hatchet and dieselkraftwerk them. :allears: And don't forget the return of the mighty FLAMETHROWER.

I wonder how much ribbing/poking at The Man In The High Castle will happen.

Also, the cartoon character is named "Blitzmensch" and that amuses me.

Bolow posted:

I'm sad that the bad rear end resistance lady is very likely dead in the new game :smith:
I think she says "Not monsters, men." in the trailer. But I would not be surprised if Caroline bites it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Humerus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFryhE5rwA

There's maybe a little more information here, but nothing super new/surprising.

Oh also if you feel you must have a faux leather replica of BJ's yellow jacket, Bethesda has you covered for $98!

"I'm not saying it's space aliens, right? But it goes without saying, it's fuckin' SPACE ALIENS!"

I love that guy already. :allears:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Mordja posted:

I've mentioned it before, but there's a couple things about Wolfenstein as a series that sets it apart from other "retro" shooters. First is the fact that there have been new games released relatively consistently, but also far enough apart that each one is different, reflective of its time, and the (tentative) story connections mean that no single one has ever quite been touted as a full on franchise reboot. The second is that, outside of mundane WW2 guns in the earlier games, Wolfenstein lacks a distinctive arsenal. Which is weirdly freeing. Like, every Doom game's going to have a chaingun, rocket launcher and BFG, every Unreal has its flak cannon. But with Wolfenstein they can start fresh each time.

I'd have to say its iconic weapon is the gatling/chaingun, which has shown up in every iteration in some way. They tried to make the Tesla weapons into a big deal in RTCW and Wolf09 but I think it was wise that TNO went with more traditional lasers instead.

There's also the flamethrower, which TNO and TOB missed out on, but TNC is bringing back in all of its glory.

mllaneza posted:

RtCW was a high mark in online gaming. That level of variety in roles and diversity of objectives wouldn't be matched again until, for me anyway, TF2.

TF2 can't hold RTCW's jock. I'd love to get an MP that's more similar to RTCW but I don't think something that requires a high level of cooperation between seven player teams is really coming back.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Mordja posted:

We've been tricked guys. Wolfenstein:TNC isn't an FPS, it's a walking simulator where BJ Blaskowitz is an undercover reporter who needs to axe the hard questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO0MxHaw-IA

See, these guys GET Wolfenstein. The way they talk about the choice of stealth or guns blazing, how you can make up for loving up your stealth by just going bananas is it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

ChickenHeart posted:

I wonder if "Elite Hans" in the toy commercial refers to an actual character in the game. At first I thought it was just a callback to Hans Grosse from the original/2009, but the figure happens to have a prosthetic limb, and Frau could use a new Bubi...

Elite Hans is a riff on GI Joe, it's the name of the toy line.

I hope they actually work some of the Nazi TV into the game. You can't make a character like Blitzmensch and NOT have BJ give some running commentary on it. I'm not sure I want to know what the "...or Else!" is, though. :scared:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Scalding Coffee posted:

If they do go ahead with experimenting on people and cyberization, I want to see nods to Bionic Commando.

Machinegames is Swedish, GRIN was Swedish, hopefully there's some cross-pollenation there.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

GUI posted:

It was probably the one I read.

The way the sentence is structured made me assume it's talking about BJ.

The later comment about Frau Engel mocking BJ for pissing in a tube also leads to BJ having the problem.

Set also shows up later in the trailer with the monkey cat thing, so maybe he sticks around for a while.

Caroline, though... not looking good for her. :(

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Werix posted:

Can we take a moment to recognize the music in both new Wolf and DOOM? Because holy poo poo, they both had amazing music to shoot soulless demon assholes to.

Mick Gordon. :rock: I'm ready for more of his music in TNC.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Shotgun guys die real fast to shots to the backpack, or by using laser weapons.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

scrubs season six posted:

Wolfenstein 3D is the third game in the series you tit.

Silas Warner, the guy who made the original Castle Wolfenstein games, died without getting much in terms of recognition for creating the series outside of those who remember it on the early 8-bit platforms. I played a ton of it on my C64. Pretty sure Wolfenstein is actually the longest-held game series I've played, as our family had a Commodore years before getting an NES.

He was an interesting person, that's for sure.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does BJ have a moral code against killing women? BJ is allowed to murder prostitutes (of course) in Wolf09, but not the SS secretaries.
I should try the prequel if it really has zombie soldiers.

He kills tons of Elite Guards in RTCW.

The Old Blood and RTCW have plenty of zombie killin' action.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Entropic posted:

I'm waiting for the reveal that BJ was part of some captain America super-soldier-serum experiment. It would explain a lot.

His actor DID voice Captain America in several Avengers properties...

He's also this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHm_TuS-KQU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Hey guys, it's time for everyone's favorite game show, German... or Else!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyy7cP8jZb4

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just noticed that the game show host on German Or Else is played by James Horan. I'd recognize that voice anywhere, Avitus.

He's Skull Face from MGS V. That's... oddly appropriate casting for a show about eliminating language. :stare:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Cnidaria posted:

They were defeated by the Nazis.

A case of "I never expected allying with the leopard that eats faces resulting in it eating my face!"

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i assume everyone is dead or slaves with tons of empty buildings. i assume they use the farmland and mineral deposits and build weapons there. i am more curious where the ubersolders come from, are they just wounded soldiers be made whole or something alot worse which the game strongly hints at. the asylum being used as shop for test subjects, i am sure the camps do too

In RTCW ubersoldats were essentially eldritch horrors made from fallen soldiers and "undesirables" by Deathshead in the X-Labs.

In TNO the 1960s versions are manufactured on the moon base, but I would imagine they follow the same basic idea.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Well, that was a Loper, which was a precursor to the Proto-soldats, which were beta versions of the real ubersoldats in that game.

The 1947 Ubersoldats in TNO were basically much nicer modeled versions of the RTCW ubersoldats.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Dapper_Swindler posted:

new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz7PDBhav5s

kinda wish they went with a more racist looking villians(would fit with the nazis better instead of turkey man and statue of liberty) but i get why the didnt.

The theme song is a complete riff on Batman '66 and it's as great as I thought it would be. Hopefully there's some toys of this in the game that BJ burns with the flamethrower.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 22, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Wamdoodle posted:

:same: but I don't even have a PS4 or Xbone and I doubt there's going to be one for the PC

There certainly is a PC version for pre-order.

https://store.bethsoft.com/books-and-other-media/video-games/wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus-collectors-edition

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
With TNO having homages to historical people (with Tesla/Tekla and Hendrix/J), what are the odds of that happening again in The New Colossus?

The beardy communist resistance leader is named Horton. Five bucks he's alt-universe Colonel Harlan Sanders.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Xenomrph posted:

Tesla/Tekla is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

I agree, but that's what I remember reading in the art book. I'll need to re-read it tonight.

Speaking of art books, TNC will get one as well.

Dangerous Person posted:

I never buy physical PS4 games but I loving need that Terror Billy

I didn't buy the special edition of TNO because it didn't come with the game and 100 bucks for the Panzerhund was a bit of a stretch. But this one is a much better value. Terror Billy can join my NECA Rad Spencer on the shelf of Nazi killin heroes. :3:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The one sin I will never forgive Wolf 09 for was the lack of the venom gun.

Yeah yeah, particle cannon, whatever. I need my 500 rounds per minute of DEATH.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Paingod556 posted:

Enemy Territory was still the best and it saddens me there's a generation of gamers who never got to experience it.

RTCW with OSP, 7v7 mp_base is the distilled perfection of multiplayer team-based FPS and nothing since has matched or exceeded it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Was he? I'll have to rewatch it when I get home to see what details I missed; I figured the owner was in on things as he didn't look like he cowered to the officer, never spoke to him in German and looked like he generally resented the guy (and also why else would we just wander into some random diner that was about to close).

The guy behind the counter is part of the resistance, he's the guy going on about space aliens in this video. Even wearing the same turtleneck.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Ars Technica has a preview video up as well. It's a lot less spoilery than that other video, but does talk about some things relating to after the diner scene.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/07/wolfenstein-2-pc-gameplay-preview/

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 27, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
They were also probably playing it on an easy difficulty on a console.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The new title should have been in German. :colbert:

The only reason why they have America is because the Germans nuked them and they rolled over.

Why haven't they nuked South Africa?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I don't know man, a mainline Wolfenstein game where you don't play as BJ is like a DOOM game where you don't play as the Doomguy: It just doesn't feel right.

Future Wolfenstein game starring the daughter of BJ and Anya, Billie Jean Blazkowicz, has been wished a few times in past threads.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

OAquinas posted:

That could work. Though it begs the question, how were there any nazis left to kill after BJ stops?

The Boys from Brazil, of course.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Quicksilver6 posted:

I'm hype as hell for this game, and have been trying to get my fix with some of the alternatives mentioned here such as The Saboteur. There's also a standalone Doom mod called Wolfendoom: Blade of Agony. Despite the title being rather generic sounding, it's a pretty fun Wolfenstein game made by fans in the Doom engine. It doesn't require anything though! You can just download and play.

Brief review: Starts out Medal of Honor, ends up Indiana Jones, complete with boulders and comically huge robo-nazis. The second episode came out last month, strongly recommended!

Also I really, really am hoping that we get The Second US Revolution as promised in the preview blurb, we get to hear something like the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Somehow I feel like that song basically describes BJ in a nutshell, if you replace "His truth" with "His never ending thirst for nazi blood".

fake edit: Blade of Agony also features Mighty Boot functionality for maximum Nazi Stomping

Wow, thanks for posting this. It's like someone made a Wolfenstein in the era of Dark Forces. Definitely gonna play this during the week.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 21, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
So I've been playing that Wolfendoom mod/game, and it does scratch that "Kill a bunch of Nazis" itch. It's like if you had a Wolfenstein game in the pre-Quake era. The graphics are great for that retro feel. The gunplay is great. The maps are superb. It has the most polish of a fan game that I've played since AM2R. It feels like a legit Wolfenstein game that would have come out in 1996. The story is pure Wolfenstein and isn't too hackily written. There's a few buts, though...

1. There is no indicator for backstabbing. You have to be crouching to backstab and I've rarely been able to pull off stealth kills because it's not clear when your knife swipe will actually be a backstab. The very first one in the game is also very troublesome, because there's a guard watching there, you go up to backstab him, and there's another guard right nearby who notices you regardless!

2. Enemies seem to be able to see you from ridiculous distances and through fog, and have excellent aim even on the middle difficulty. Crouchwalking is also not silent, which makes playing stealthily very difficult. The game is definitely more biased to guns blazing mode.

3. Enemies also seem really stupid, in that they have real trouble navigating walls. I'm used to Doom/Wolf3D where the enemies will make a buzz for you through doors once they're alerted to your presence, but many of the enemies get stuck on walls because they're trying to go straight for you when there's a blockage in the way. The enemy could go around the wall and get you. This is very exploitable in certain situations.

4. You can't interrupt the shell reloads on shotguns or the karabiner, so you better make sure you only reload at a safe place.

5. No checkpointing, so you better get used to quicksaving like back in the old days.

6. By default the grenade toss key is bound to Alt, which is bad if you want to alt-tab out of the game. I'd suggest remapping it.

Those gripes aside, I would definitely recommend checking it out / playing it if you like Wolfenstein at all and enjoy a retro FPS experience.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Apparently the previous version of the Blitzmensch promo wasn't whole. BethesdaUK just uploaded the complete version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kn119K7TeE

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
You know BJ is gonna take the mantle of The Illegal Eagle.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Can I not just farm perks on my save via chapter select then start New Game +? Or is that not in the spirit?

Perk farming is completely legitimate.

I prefer playing through on medium difficulty to learn the game and then replay with New Game + to keep all my perks to take on the highest difficulty.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Titan announced a new Wolfenstein tie-in comic out today at your local comic shop. Check out that cover.

https://titan-comics.com/c/1030-wolfenstein/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09/12/wolfenstein-ii-professor-comic-book/

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 13, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Is there a reason they've sanitised the Nazi emblems?

The interior's sanitized too, and you'll note that they're not actually referred to as Nazis in the book. They've written it such that the opposing force is referred to as "fascists." The interior pages use the three-pointed "Regime" emblem used in the German version of the game (and seen in things like the Blitzmensch video). However, figures like Himmler, the Thule, Black Sun, and so on are actually named, so...

My guess is that they didn't want to make a for-Germany specific release of the book, so they made it sanitized by default.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 15, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress, that sucks.

It's still a good book, though.

I'm sure someone could take the Comixology version and re-Nazify it fairly easily.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Xenomrph posted:

So wait, is the comic out? Is it a one-shot, or a multi-issue series?

Issue number one came out on Wednesday! Issue 2 (the second half) will be out next month.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Dapper_Swindler posted:

can you spoil it maybe. or at least give some interesting world building.

Issue one summary/spoilers

The comic opens at a place called Sanctuary where people in America have fled to after the bombs dropped. Whether it's in Canada or a remote place like northern Minnesota or Dakotas is unclear. The cover story is that it's a farm and they're farmworkers. A character addressed only as "the professor" (who will presumably be someone of importance in TNC) is away while Sanctuary is destroyed by a stomper. As she investigates, she crosses paths with a wild, unnamed woman who tamed an Ubersoldat and is storming the Nazi encampment. Together they descend into the depths of the excavation that the Nazis are doing (they say it's for oil, but it's really for Da'at Yichud stuff).

At that point, they go back to a flashback by the unnamed woman to 1946. Turns out she's Dr. Emile Wagner, member of the Da'at Yichud who's been undercover at the SS Paranormal Division. Nazi officer Hartmann has excavated a sunken city that he believes to be Thulian in origin, but isn't. He brings some of it to the surface and dubs it New Wolfenstein. The Nazis are using stolen Da'at Yichud DNA sequencing/cloning tech to bring back the horrible monsters that apparently lived in or ravaged that sunken city (my guess is that they're veil creatures that were in our dimension and killed in the castle). Wagner sends a coded message in a clockwork bird to BJ Blazkowicz, who decides to take a group of guys and put New Wolfenstein out of commission.

His group gets partway through until they hit a checkpoint, and things go south. His team kills the Nazis, but he's the only one left standing. He has but one thing to say.

"gently caress fascists."

There's some notable mistakes in the art, like the 1946 ubersoldats being drawn with 1960s facemasks. Another strangeness is a panel where a 1940s era Ubersoldat is actually talking to Hartmann, because Ubersoldats have always been mute. There's also some ambiguous word balloons that trigger me as a comics letterer, but that's neither here nor there. There's callbacks to both RTCW and Wolf '09, and Dan Watters seems to at least be a fan, or at least someone who gets the source material. The art's solid, with some excellent color work by Greg Simpson and Greg Menzie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
New Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkrwUzWeACg