Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Starman Super DX posted:

Just saw this. I'm still in college and working on a degree so I can escape this madness. It just took me a lot of time to decide wtf to do with myself so I've been trapped in retail hell for... oh... nearly ten years.

*sobs silently to self*

buck up mate, there is an end in sight. keep at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Starman Super DX posted:

Forget military conscription, everyone should have to work in retail at least once in their life.

Share your work experiences with the old, ignorant, and/or entitled!

Forget retail, everyone should have to work a manual labor gig once in their life...landscaping is nice this time of year.

Then you'll get to meet the kind of old entitled person too rich to bother going out to loving Sears or whatever.He'll have you trapped on his property as you fulfill his wife's dreams of drainage and being on the homes tour. Here you will be doing real work, not just reciting your "it says here..." spiel in front of the POS. Maybe if you work hard he'll give you a coke and slip a $20 to you before you leave at the end of your eleven hour day.

You see the proper way is to get on the good side of the old/ignorant/entitled and profit! Retail is a losing racket!

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Aesop Poprock posted:

*guys 5-7 year old daughter throws up on the floor, which we are then cleaning up*

Me: Do you want me to get her a cup of water?

Him, glaring at me like I spit on him: Water is a DIUERITIC!!

Me: ??? Ok

:mad::"do these chocolate covered eggs at the end of your register have peanut butter in them???"
:confused:: "Uh, yes?"
:mad:: "My son has a PEANUT ALLERGY! He can't be around peanuts!!!" *is in a grocery store*

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Aesop Poprock posted:

*guys 5-7 year old daughter throws up on the floor, which we are then cleaning up*

Me: Do you want me to get her a cup of water?

Him, glaring at me like I spit on him: Water is a DIUERITIC!!

Me: ??? Ok

Kids turn people into lunatics. My sister with the Master's Degree in social work who is a mental health clinician and got straight A's all her life refuses to put pictures of her 1 year old on the internet because she's afraid Facebook might use them for nefarious purposes. She also bans all of us from doing it as well.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Customer locks their keys in their car and starts asking staff if they know how to unlock cars.

8 staff members start uncurling coathangers they took from the shelf

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
*teenage girl reads life hack online that you can ask for discounts on damaged clothing items*
*during prom season, many dresses spontaneously have a button fall off and land in a customer's hand, or get a small ballpoint pen mark on the fabric in a not visible space*

Retail life hacks are 80% how to scam a store, but 100% of them are "how to annoy the drones working there"

*man walks into store*
:cool: "Hi, welcome to [Store]. Can I help you find anything?"
:mad: "No, I'm just looking"
:cool: "OK"

12 seconds later...

:mad: "Do you sell black, waxed dress shoe shoelaces for 3 hole oxfords?" [or other incredibly specific request]

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

I work concessions at sports games, but it only really sucks for games that sell alcohol. People become total assholes about their booze even before they get drunk off of it. One guy always came in to complain about the marked up price of Coors Light ($8 for a 12oz cup) but always bought 4 or 5 over the course of the game anyway, complaining about the price every time. He even had the gall to tell us that he was not going to tip due to the price of the beer and the fact that "they were paying us more now". He was probably referring to the recent minimum wage increase here(50 cents more), but we get paid the same whether the beer is $2 or $8, dipshit.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
When I was like 19, I worked at Farmer Jack, which is a long-dead grocery store, as a cashier. Standard grocery soul-destroying retail stuff. One ordinary night I was closing and my manager calls me and the 2 other cashiers closing for the night aside and says "Hey, there's a teenage kid who locked himself in one of the bathroom stalls and he refuses to come out. Who wants to wait outside the bathroom until the cops come?" I ended up volunteering because it was better than cleaning up. I talked to the kid through the door a bunch out of boredom. He was terrified and confused after running away from home, but he was a good kid. It was a pretty interesting night and very weird!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I once saw this crunchy mom-type breastfeed a 4 year old while I was working retail.
While she was talking to me and without breaking eye contact, just casually popped a boob out and let the little booger drink his fill. Kid was tall enough to latch while standing up when his mom was sitting down.
It was pretty bizarre.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

canyoneer posted:

I once saw this crunchy mom-type breastfeed a 4 year old while I was working retail.
While she was talking to me and without breaking eye contact, just casually popped a boob out and let the little booger drink his fill. Kid was tall enough to latch while standing up when his mom was sitting down.
It was pretty bizarre.

My girlfriend's a nanny and one of her old clients had a 3 year old daughter who would verbally ask to breastfeed and she would always oblige her. It was incredibly bizarre and troubling. The woman was stupidly crunchy to the point that she wouldn't allow ordinary cleaning products into her house... which meant her house was eternally disgusting and crawling with bugs and dust from their 2 dogs. It was terrifying and one of many reasons why my girlfriend left that gig.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

new phone who dis posted:

Kids turn people into lunatics. My sister with the Master's Degree in social work who is a mental health clinician and got straight A's all her life refuses to put pictures of her 1 year old on the internet because she's afraid Facebook might use them for nefarious purposes. She also bans all of us from doing it as well.

actually sounds pretty smart to me

you trust facebook more than your sister? (who you admit is very intelligent)

personally I wouldn't be worried about facebook itself as a company but more the people who work for facebook that can't be trusted.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
one of my old friends from highschool is always posting great stories about terrible customers on FB and it's crushingly depressing because he's in his mid-twenties and still working a just-above-minimum-wage shopclerk job in the town we grew up in

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Young Tinfoil: "There you are, ma'am. Would you like a cup and spoon for your son's ice cream cone? It's a hot one today!"

Woman: *scoffs* "He can handle a cone."

~2 minutes later~

Young Tinfoil: "Hello again, anything else we can get you?"

Woman: "My sons ice cream scoop fell off the cone."

Young Tinfoil: "Sorry to hear that, would you like to buy another?"

Woman: "BUY?!?!"

(This culminated with her storming off, calling me an rear end in a top hat, and her peeling out of the parking lot)

----------------

NSFW Ice cream story below

Owner of the store was a raging closet-homo who hired teenage boys almost exclusively. Fortunately for us he was fat and lazy, and over a few short years years the store came under the primary management of my friend and neighbor, who was several years my senior. He promptly replaced most of the staff with females. One girl and I hit it off, so naturally I would have my friend schedule her with me on all my shifts. In between customers we'd sneak into the freezer and make out in until our lips suck together. Young Tinfoil got his first blowjob in the employee bathroom of that ice cream stand and later lost his virginity to the same girl. :grin:

As to your NSFW story: Hell yeah!

I used to sneak into the cooler when I worked at Pizza Hut. There, I would eat my fill of salad bar toppings until I was sweating ranch dressing and cheese.

We hired a middled-aged woman to be a waitress, and she hated me so much that I would constantly dodge whatever she felt like throwing at me that week. Sometimes it was the kid's meal toys, other times it was a flying pizza pan...

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This thread is doing wonders for my mood. You guys! :glomp:

I love that the "customer is always right'' poo poo in retail has become so back asswards that customers can't be stopped from scamming, stealing, or managers are willing to break the laws because boo hoo why can't I ring up my groceries with my beer?? :qq:

Like the guy at my store who was literally fired for calling someone out on shoplifting.
:psyduck:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
One time a customer was pissed off and yelling at my manager because she had arbitrarily raised the price (read: made him pay taxes), and at one point tells us that we better rethink what we're doing because he "works for verison".

We're a hotel why do you think we give a poo poo.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Toadvine posted:

working retail made me appreciate a well-fronted shelf, especially in the frozen/dairy section aka the navy SEALS of retail

holy poo poo dairy worker reporting for duty

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Jeff Sichoe posted:

actually sounds pretty smart to me

you trust facebook more than your sister? (who you admit is very intelligent)

personally I wouldn't be worried about facebook itself as a company but more the people who work for facebook that can't be trusted.

You and her are both idiots. Facebook is chock full of pictures of families and the belief that something sinister is going to result from that is similar to thinking cameras steal your soul.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Isaac posted:

*spends 30minutes staring past the milk to peep the milk room, as if its some mystic portal to a secret milk dimension*

-flashbacks-

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Working at a comic book store, had just opened 10 min prior and this regular from out of town comes in to buy $52 worth of stuff with $100 bill.

Sorry man, I can't do that. I don't have the float for it. So he starts yelling at me and whatever. So I offer to call the boss, who then makes the guy all pouty and apologetic.

But seriously dude. Small stores don't carry huge stacks of cash. Maybe you should carry some 20s or something.

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The General posted:

Working at a comic book store, had just opened 10 min prior and this regular from out of town comes in to buy $52 worth of stuff with $100 bill.

Sorry man, I can't do that. I don't have the float for it. So he starts yelling at me and whatever. So I offer to call the boss, who then makes the guy all pouty and apologetic.

But seriously dude. Small stores don't carry huge stacks of cash. Maybe you should carry some 20s or something.

i worked midnight at a gas station and people would pull this poo poo all the time.
*pumps $6 worth of gas and comes in to pay with a $100 bill*
"sorry man this is all I got, I guess you'll have to give me the gas for free if you don't want it :smug:"

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

As a general rule I'm not big on overly friendly people in non-social situations. It's just me, you can call me bitter or salty or whatever you like but I just don't get strangers who excitedly shout "hi howzit going!?" at you like you're old friends that haven't seen each other. Like I've got customers that I build a report with because they were super chill and acted normal, but this expectation that all retail workers are your best friends who want to hear your life story is utterly beyond me.

Y'know Kurt Vonnegut said that politeness kills. :reject:

naem
May 29, 2011

new phone who dis posted:

I used to work at Starbucks when I was in college. Without a doubt, the absolutely most annoying interaction were the teenagers who congregated outside, smoked, cursed and yelled, and bought nothing.

"You have to give me free water, it's the law."

Same, for me the worst were the bitter middle aged latte wives mostly because they hit on me. I was the only male employee at that store too because the manager was a perv. Several ex's were starbucks girls

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Rutibex posted:

i worked midnight at a gas station and people would pull this poo poo all the time.
*pumps $6 worth of gas and comes in to pay with a $100 bill*
"sorry man this is all I got, I guess you'll have to give me the gas for free if you don't want it :smug:"

What type of gas station lets people refuel before paying?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ziv Zulander posted:

It baffles me that this was ever allowed.

I worked graveyard at a gas station before. That kinda rules, being the only employee when drunk dickbags try to be assholes..

<My intercom buzzes>

Me: Hello?

Guy: Hey I'm at the car wash and it doesn't work, I need a refund.

ME: Oh, I hate it when that happens, yeah come in and I'll give you a refund no problem.

Guy: Yeah you'd better rear end in a top hat!

Me: Actually, hold on, I'll come right out to you so you don't have to get out

[I walk out from behind the counter, lock all the doors]

Me(back on intercom): Hey

Guy: Yeah?

Me: Suck my dick

Guy: EXUCSE ME?????

Me: Did I stutter? S-S-S-Suck my D-D-Dick!

So many times, the manager would come in the next day and say "I got some weird complaints last night," but then just shrug it off because what do you expect from the overnight shift guy at a gas station?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 13, 2017

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the US the saying goes "the customer is always right." In the UK that translates to "the customer can always gently caress off."

Aside from the pay, working retail isn't so bad over here.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Drunk Nerds posted:

Me: Suck my dick

go on

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

jazzyhattrick posted:

In the US the saying goes "the customer is always right." In the UK that translates to "the customer can always gently caress off."

Aside from the pay, working retail isn't so bad over here.

Working in retail has kinda made me want to move to Europe one day if I ever get a decent enough paying job to hoist myself out of this terrible rut. If only for the different social rules.
From what I understand, in Germany, nobody asks "how are you" unless you REALLY want to know. Casual politeness in America really blurs this line between perfect strangers and bffs so there's not even an "acquaintance" step in between.

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Starman Super DX posted:

Like the guy at my store who was literally fired for calling someone out on shoplifting.
:psyduck:

You can't do anything about it until they try to leave the store, as they can still purchase the 15 items hidden under their pram

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
But if they step one foot outside the store it's against company policy to follow them, so better call mall security while the shoplifter gets away with those fidget spinners

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

We recently had the cops go knocking on the door of a lady who was stealing 3 liter bottles of Lambrusco wine. She would pick one up, go around the corner, and stick it in a reusable bag, then go through self checkout with all of her other semi-legitimate purchases (most of them had reduced stickers mysteriously added onto them) and then walk out.

These were like, big rear end glass jugs too.

My manager has ordered like two or three cases since the beginning of May. We hadn't sold a single one. This lady likely got away with like, 18 of these things.

The real tragedy is despite having her literally on camera doing it, the cops said the judge would throw it out because the managers didn't follow her around like they're supposed to?? Idgi. Freaked the hell out her when they threatened to talk to her husband tho.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ziv Zulander posted:

Petro Canada

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

canyoneer posted:

One of the weirdest math misunderstandings someone had still puzzles me to this day. It literally took 2 managers and 40 minutes to explain this to a lady who was getting increasingly agitated.

She had bought something for $100 + tax (about 8%, so say $108 after tax). She came back the next day and returned it, and in the same transaction bought something for $75 plus tax, and the difference was refunded to her card. That purchase after tax would be $75 + $6 tax, $81.

The receipt shows -$100 return +$75 purchase, returning $27 to the customer's card.

She was convinced that the store was stealing $6 from her, because she had paid $108 for something that was $100 but now was buying something for $75 and we were only giving her $27 back so WHERE IS THE OTHER $6 MISTER?
:mad:
She absolutely could not conceptualize that it was netting out the subtotal first, and then applying sale tax to the additional refund (or sale) before moving cash. Or that it would be the exact same thing if we had just refunded $108 in cash and then she paid $75 + $6 tax = $81 to buy her thing.

It was so puzzling. I think they literally drew her a picture to explain it.

I worked returns for 6 months at Best Buy almost 7 years ago now. That happened at least twice a week.

Even more common was this thing they did with recycling old electronics- they would take your old poo poo, but you had to pay 5$ and in return got a BB gift card for 5$. Based on personal experience, I would say 2/3 of people doing this were unable to grasp the concept of what was going on. Without fail they either thought they were getting 5$ for free, or we were outright taking 5$ from them. For the latter, it would escalate to management and they would just hand them 5$ cash from the drawer.

Domar
Nov 4, 2010
My time working in a grocery store wasn't horrible but three things really stood out.

People stealing sushi, eating it in the store and leaving the garbage on random shelves.

This one woman only wanted a specific color of Kleenex box so she ripped apart a dozen 12-packs. They weren't labeled for individual sale and all had to be returned to the manufacturer.

The worst thing I found was a pack of hotdog wieners someone had cut open and hid in the back of the shelf behind the dog food.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Starman Super DX posted:

As a general rule I'm not big on overly friendly people in non-social situations. It's just me, you can call me bitter or salty or whatever you like but I just don't get strangers who excitedly shout "hi howzit going!?" at you like you're old friends that haven't seen each other. Like I've got customers that I build a report with because they were super chill and acted normal, but this expectation that all retail workers are your best friends who want to hear your life story is utterly beyond me.
Spending money on consumer goods is supposed to make us happy/define us as people/dictate our cultural allegiances etc etc etc, so if the service worker isn't pretending to be our best friend at all times the experience will not be adequately fulfilling.

At least that's the assumption made and perpetuated by the retail gods, aka the same people who make decisions like mandating how many hours are assigned based on the numbers the store did at the same time last year and thinking it's a real good idea to have off-shift employees run deliveries on their way home, aka the borderline retarded nephews of someone important who have never set foot behind a cash register in their lives.

So, capitalism as usual.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Here's a great closing time catchphrase.
*tries locked revolving door from outside, comes around the other side"
"Can I go out that door?"
Yes because the REVOLVING DOOR magically only locks from one side.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
i worked retail here and there and it's fine if you turn you brain off and have a bowl waiting for you when you get home.

i hate where i work now 100 times more than any retail i ever did so no, it never gets better. stay high, kids.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I ran a print shop and a customer called the police because we sent a scan of her driver's license to the wrong email by mistake (even though she confirmed it). She accused us of being uncooperative because we weren't contacting Google to have the email deleted.

The cop arrived and was basically, "Look, you stupid bitch, we can't arrest print shop employees" without saying as much.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Michigan has a price scanner law that entitles the customer to an immediate 11x any difference between the marked and scanned price of an item, or a slam dunk $250 in small claims court.

I knew someone who was semi-pro at finding these things and walking out of the store with an armload of free or near-free merch, like extreme couponing without the coupons.

Is it any wonder that b&m retail is dying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

Michigan has a price scanner law that entitles the customer to an immediate 11x any difference between the marked and scanned price of an item, or a slam dunk $250 in small claims court.

I knew someone who was semi-pro at finding these things and walking out of the store with an armload of free or near-free merch, like extreme couponing without the coupons.

Is it any wonder that b&m retail is dying?

Why would this even exist

• Locked thread