Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
We have a section of singles where people can mix and match their own beer. No customer has any clue about how we fill it, they just assume that if something is there that it must always be there all of the time and if it's not that's our fault. Really though, we just have a limited amount of space for singles and a large variety of craft, so we like to get a nice mix of everything out there so everyone has a chance to try everything. It doesn't sound like a big deal for customers to just take a single out of a six if they don't see what they want, but really if we allowed that it would be complete bedlam. I'd be ringing out $22 a fourpack Chimay for a tiny fraction of that price. Anyway...

I had a guy come in who lost his poo poo when we didn't have singles of twisted tea in our "mix a six" section so he took it upon himself to take whatever he wanted out of the regular six packs and put it in a pack, and when I told him I couldn't ring it out if he was just going to do that himself and he started swearing at me and calling me an rear end in a top hat (for telling him the rules) and then stormed over to the other cashier, whom, unfortunately was too nice to say no, and also to whom he started back-handedly apologizing but really insulting me. I walk up from behind and say again "it's part of the policy" and he starts screaming "STOP TALKING STOP TALKING", then proceeds to go outside and starts pointing at me through the window and bitching mindlessly to a coworker on lunch, of course the other cashier and I start smiling and laughing at his immense stupidity. He sees this and comes back in and starts screaming about nothing again. I dun really remember what happened at that point but I think I said "if you have a complaint, customer service would be happy to help, sir."

Had another regular who tried to take two Sam Adams Summer out of a six and turned surprisingly douchey when I told him that we couldn't do that and it was basically like going into the soda aisle, opening up a pack of something, and just taking one. He told me "no it's not." Yeah okay, idiot. Fortunately my other coworker reamed him out for it since they new each other and he apologized to me later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Does anybody here work retail in one of those fine American chains where you can buy clothing, children's items and hardware at one place?

Its hilarious how this would hamstring my managers. Per shift, among all the cashiers, there was probably one one cashier competent enough to run the hardware department. Since she was good, the actual sale associates could focus on selling rather than reminding the cashier what a wrench was so they could show the customer where they were at. Unfortunately this cashier didn't sell the Company Credit Card so well. The result was a constant battle between the sales associates and the managers regarding the competency of whoever she stuck with them. "They don't know what a loving allen wrench is, put the other person in hardware" they'd say, "They don't sell credit cards well enough!" the manager would retort.

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol
I used to work in a grocery store deli. One time a guy came up to me and said "I'll take a half pound or a quarter pound of ham, whichever is less." I said, "Sir, a quarter pound is less than a half pound, are you asking for a quarter pound?" And he said, "Yeah, sure, whatever."

Technically not a customer story, but I did catch my manager and a coworker having sex in the bathroom during the night shift once. He had her pressed up right near the urinal. I just wanted to go pee! 😕

I also worked at Target. This woman comes up to me and asks where the peanut butter is. I walk her over and show her. As I walk away she says "Hey, wait! I actually wanted marshmallow fluff...I thought it would be near the peanut butter..."

I worked at a Best Buy. A lady got really upset that we didn't carry Looney Tunes cartoons in the French language. She insisted her kids could only listen to French language cartoons.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

crotchgobbler posted:

I used to work in a grocery store deli. One time a guy came up to me and said "I'll take a half pound or a quarter pound of ham, whichever is less." I said, "Sir, a quarter pound is less than a half pound, are you asking for a quarter pound?" And he said, "Yeah, sure, whatever."

Technically not a customer story, but I did catch my manager and a coworker having sex in the bathroom during the night shift once. He had her pressed up right near the urinal. I just wanted to go pee! 😕

I also worked at Target. This woman comes up to me and asks where the peanut butter is. I walk her over and show her. As I walk away she says "Hey, wait! I actually wanted marshmallow fluff...I thought it would be near the peanut butter..."

I worked at a Best Buy. A lady got really upset that we didn't carry Looney Tunes cartoons in the French language. She insisted her kids could only listen to French language cartoons.

I loved everything about this post.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Considering I was blazing in the basement literally every shift and often had to put a bowl down mid-toke to run up and deal with a manager-level issue, I'm frankly amazed that I only ever got called out for smelling like weed one time.

It was a month or so before I finally quit and was in full no-fucks mode (and if smoking pot in the basement daily was giving a gently caress you can imagine how over it I was at that point) and IIRC my response to "son, it stinks like mary jane in here" was something like :big dumb grin: "yeah it's pretty nice, isn't it? "

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

spite house posted:

Called the customer service line for a semi-luxury retailer this morning because I thought my order had been hosed up. It turned out that the error was my fault, but the rep was clearly bracing for a screeching entitlement explosion anyway. I apologized for being That Customer and wasting her time, and I thought glitter and rainbows were about to come pouring out of my phone. Khadijah, Nordstrom call center worker in Virginia, whatever you're getting paid it's not enough.

I have the same experience sometimes. I'll call because the cable or internet is out and they'll start doing their profuse apology thing and I'll just cut them off with "It's okay, dude. Things happen and you're not directly responsible. I'm not mad. You're just doing your job and I can appreciate that." You can feel the relief through the phone when they realize you aren't going to be "one of them".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

new phone who dis posted:

I have the same experience sometimes. I'll call because the cable or internet is out and they'll start doing their profuse apology thing and I'll just cut them off with "It's okay, dude. Things happen and you're not directly responsible. I'm not mad. You're just doing your job and I can appreciate that." You can feel the relief through the phone when they realize you aren't going to be "one of them".

Yeah I've gotten something like 6 months of free Amazon Prime by not being an rear end in a top hat who blames a phone center peon in India for a shipping delay in New Jersey

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kelp Me! posted:

Considering I was blazing in the basement literally every shift and often had to put a bowl down mid-toke to run up and deal with a manager-level issue, I'm frankly amazed that I only ever got called out for smelling like weed one time.

It was a month or so before I finally quit and was in full no-fucks mode (and if smoking pot in the basement daily was giving a gently caress you can imagine how over it I was at that point) and IIRC my response to "son, it stinks like mary jane in here" was something like :big dumb grin: "yeah it's pretty nice, isn't it? "

everyone notices you smell like weed, they just dont care

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

everyone notices you smell like weed, they just dont care

Oh I know, but my store was in a heavily conservative, senior-citizen-heavy area so I'm more shocked that only one 65+ guy in khaki shorts and a pink polo ever made a stink about it in 3 years than anything

e: also that the bored/blazed dude stinking of weed was wearing a Manager tag :lol: tbh I always figured I'd get a call from my DM chewing me out for it too, but that never happened either :shrug:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I worked in a pretty affluent area when I slung coffee for Starbucks and the housewives were by far the worst. Say what you will about rich white dudes and the patriarchy, almost all of the doctors, lawyers, Admirals, etc. that I waited on were friendly and good tippers. By contrast, their wives were horrible ogres.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

Yeah I've gotten something like 6 months of free Amazon Prime by not being an rear end in a top hat who blames a phone center peon in India for a shipping delay in New Jersey

when my Wii U refurb was taking over a month to ship I called 'tendo customer service and waited patiently (for almost an hour), was still extra polite to the guy helping me on the other line, and what do you know? He took the tax off my order so I only had to pay a flat 200. It pays to be nice to people who are there to, you know, help you.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
Right out of college I worked in the photo center at walmart. Only 2 stories really stand out.

1. Scammer meth lady brought in a very old SLR camera that we did not carry, she also had no receipt. I refused her request to return it, and I refused to get a manager for her. She eventually hunted one down and after about 20 minutes of loud arguing with my manager exchanged it for 50 dollars cash.

2. Another one, a 40 something woman asked me how long it took for some service ( I forget what, prints or something) and I said something like "4 days, actually 3 days sorry"
she went loving MENTAL. "WELL WHICH IS IT WHY DONT YOU KNOW!?!?!" And despite my insistence that it was 3 days and apologizing she just kept at it, and flagged a manager who meekly argued in my defense. I walked away while she ranted at my manager about how I need to "be trained properly" etc, like I was some puppy that poo poo on the floor. Never heard anything about it. Like this lady hadn't even paid us money for anything yet, truly bizarre.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

When I was a teenager I worked at a bagel place that brought in a huge morning rush of 30 something professionals who wanted to grab a dozen bagels for the office. We had a really tall sneeze guard, high ceilings and a lot of noise generated by the equipment so it was often very hard to hear the customers.

One day some rear end in a top hat comes in and asks for a dozen bagels or assorted types. I got most of them in the bag but I didn't quite hear how many of the blueberry ones he wanted so I asked him again very politely.

Me: I'm sorry how many of those blueberry ones did you want again?
Him *roles eyes*: A couple means two!

I hope he gets the most malignant of cancers.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I got full year extension of the intro price for my internet service once because I was nice to the guy on the phone.

Like, there was no technical reason for the extension at all. The internet service was $30 for the first year and $60 after that. I called up and just straight up asked if I could have another year of low price lol. After realizing that there was no real problem the guy said he was just gonna slot me in for another year of the intro price because I was polite and most people who call just yell at him :(

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I worked in a pretty affluent area when I slung coffee for Starbucks and the housewives were by far the worst. Say what you will about rich white dudes and the patriarchy, almost all of the doctors, lawyers, Admirals, etc. that I waited on were friendly and good tippers. By contrast, their wives were horrible ogres.
Boomer white women are indeed the absolute loving worst. I've been out of retail for years and I'm still actively bigoted against that whole demographic.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i think modern retail is set up to provide the experience of owning a slave for a short amount of time, like an oppression rental service. this way lowly otherwise unrespectable people can feel a bit of power every once in a while. i don't know how people will cope when automation replaces everyone. yelling at a robot won't make you feel better about your lovely life

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

spite house posted:

Boomer white women are indeed the absolute loving worst. I've been out of retail for years and I'm still actively bigoted against that whole demographic.

The Boomers were bad, but even the younger ones were surprisingly terrible. Women who would be in their 30s and 40s now who just straight up treated you like a misbehaving child when the only thing they had ever done in life is get lucky in marriage. Meanwhile, their rich as gently caress, workaholic husband is coming up behind them when they aren't looking and tipping us out and apologizing profusely.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I worked at blockbuster for awhile and the most notable thing that happened was some crackhead grabbing an armload of DVDs and bolting out the front door after I asked for his lovely backpack (that was obviously going to be used for the theft lol)

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

i think modern retail is set up to provide the experience of owning a slave for a short amount of time, like an oppression rental service. this way lowly otherwise unrespectable people can feel a bit of power every once in a while. i don't know how people will cope when automation replaces everyone. yelling at a robot won't make you feel better about your lovely life

You sir are my new best friend.

The Boomers were bad, but even the younger ones were surprisingly terrible. Women who would be in their 30s and 40s now who just straight up treated you like a misbehaving child when the only thing they had ever done in life is get lucky in marriage. Meanwhile, their rich as gently caress, workaholic husband is coming up behind them when they aren't looking and tipping us out and apologizing profusely.

I consider myself pretty liberal, a feminist, etc. but working in retail starts to make you prejudice in a way that you can't really help (at least in the context of being a retail worker). I don't want to talk to anyone I can't understand, for one. And yeah, for some reason the middle-aged housewives seem to be some of the worst customers particularly when they're in a lovely mood. I even mentioned this to my feminist as gently caress SO thinking she would disapprove and even she agreed. "It's something about wanting to be doted upon". Really, it's the anyone who has too much free time on their hands and it gives them something to do to go in and complain, which is why old people are some of the worst too.
I always think of that Futurama bit.

"I'm going to purchase a single piece of fruit with a coupon and then return it, forcing people to wait behind me in line while I complain!"

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 13, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

haljordan posted:

I worked at blockbuster for awhile and the most notable thing that happened was some crackhead grabbing an armload of DVDs and bolting out the front door after I asked for his lovely backpack (that was obviously going to be used for the theft lol)

Don't rental places keep the actual discs behind the counter? Was he just stealing empty boxes?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

clockwork chaos posted:

I'm in my upper 20s, and work a retail job at slightly over minimum wage, for about 10-20 hours a week. 110% of my paycheck goes to rent and, due to my narcolepsy/cataplexy, my prospects of finding a better job or even a second job (lol) are negligible. I'm not allowed to drive, have to walk with a cane, and I can't afford to eat. atleast I can make fun of old people that can't read that we don't have a chip reader, look lady there's literally a piece of plastic in the slot that says please swipe what are you doing

Lol your life blows

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

bamhand posted:

Don't rental places keep the actual discs behind the counter? Was he just stealing empty boxes?

No we had them all in the cases, they were locked but it only took three seconds with a razor to cut one open.

After I deaded that job I found out the frat bro manager got shitcanned for showing up to an inventory night drunk

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

haljordan posted:

No we had them all in the cases, they were locked but it only took three seconds with a razor to cut one open.

After I deaded that job I found out the frat bro manager got shitcanned for showing up to an inventory night drunk

Like that should disaqualify anyone.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Like that should disaqualify anyone.

He also tried to scam this contest corporate was running to see which store could sell the most gift cards by instructing us to take everyone's money for a purchase, convert it to gift card format and then ring up their purchases lmao

We had like twenty grand in sales which of course was pointless because the whole point was to get people to buy gift cards IN ADDITION TO the other stuff

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 13, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
So for all the stories about people scamming the stores is there any like longterm gameplan for it or is it just that so few people are willing to make total asses of themselves to score 50 bucks from an exhausted manager that it's not worth actually policing?

I feel like rewarding the people who throw tantrums so they can break the rules is only gonna make the problem more common but maybe it doesn't work out that way?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

So for all the stories about people scamming the stores is there any like longterm gameplan for it or is it just that so few people are willing to make total asses of themselves to score 50 bucks from an exhausted manager that it's not worth actually policing?

I feel like rewarding the people who throw tantrums so they can break the rules is only gonna make the problem more common but maybe it doesn't work out that way?

Whatever gets them out the fuckin door. That's why I'm always amazed when people actually try to confront shoplifters and get freakin killed.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

haljordan posted:

Whatever gets them out the fuckin door.

yeah but then what's stopping them from just doing it again tomorrow and the day after, or telling their friends that they too can get free money if they act like children.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Rutibex posted:

protip instead of going to barns and noble try a university library. they sell cheaper coffee and snacks, and the book selection is much better. you have to be a student to check the books out, but no one will stop you if you just go to read stuff off the shelves

another pro tip: if you want a truly transcendental reading experience, come to my house on Tuesday and sit in my comfy chair and I will give you coffee and let you read my rear end tattoo.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

My 68 year old retired dad just bought a new iPad and taught himself how to use it. I think it's the cutest drat thing ever because I haven't had to help him at all other then giving him my Netflix deets

Even my dad uses his iPhone just fine and he's the kind of person who calls me with computer questions that can be summarized as "How do I copy and paste text?"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

yeah but then what's stopping them from just doing it again tomorrow and the day after, or telling their friends that they too can get free money if they act like children.

Nothing really but hopefully they come in on a different shift next time

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm pretty sure that business 101 basically says that getting a new customer is a lot harder than keeping a previous one so as a general rule, corporate and managers follow the "just say yes" policy because losing one rear end in a top hat customer could mean the end of the store as they know it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

They're probably way more focused on employee theft, I'm sure Walmart knows down to a penny how much they lose from shoplifting/customer scams

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

When I go to this one thrift store, it has signs that say something like "If you steal from here, you steal from the Lord."

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

runupon cracker posted:

white cis male in his 40s

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I.C. posted:

When I go to this one thrift store, it has signs that say something like "If you steal from here, you steal from the Lord."

Jokes on them, the Lord owes me $10 anyways!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Generally speaking retail work is a Lovecraft-ian nightmare and every day can I go home without having my eyeballs sucked out my nostrils for an imperceptible slight to some reeking blonde hellbeast from another dimension is a day I thank god, pet my cat, and pray that the sweet release of death will come soon.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

My wal-mart job a decade ago was pretty uneventful because it was night crew. The only interesting thing that happened was an ugly couple got arrested for loving in the changing room. Sadly, I was stuck in the back at the time and missed it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Overnight shift at a supermarket when I was 17 is the reason "shoplifter sprinting for door with cart full of unpaid groceries gets clotheslined WWE-style by bored off-duty NYPD cop at 3:30AM" is a personal memory and not a Youtube video I have bookmarked

IIRC the cop was buying something super-mundane like toilet paper on his way home :laugh:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

When your friend that hangs out with you at work all day knocks a display over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
My first job sucked cause I was working at a grocery store that catered primarily to my hometown Catholic community.

Had to deflect a lot of old ladies asking why I wasn't going to mass anymore. Didn't have the heart to tell them I'm a heathen. :smith:

• Locked thread