Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Kelp Me! posted:

Overnight shift at a supermarket when I was 17 is the reason "shoplifter sprinting for door with cart full of unpaid groceries gets clotheslined WWE-style by bored off-duty NYPD cop at 3:30AM" is a personal memory and not a Youtube video I have bookmarked

IIRC the cop was buying something super-mundane like toilet paper on his way home :laugh:

7 pm in small rural towns is when the clientele turns from old women to meth heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Do you get mad when people thank you by name, but you never introduced yourself but are wearing a name tag?

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

I.C. posted:

Do you get mad when people thank you by name, but you never introduced yourself but are wearing a name tag?

Yes. Again, it's that weird jump from stranger to buddy that I don't care for.

One time a guy started cursing me out because I took someone ahead of him after he set his poo poo down, walked ten feet away, and proceeded to spend several minutes stuffing the giveaway ballot box with five different entries. I removed all of them after he left.

He's been guilty in the past of one of my favorite customer types "The Philosopher".

"Don't you think it's WEIRD that you have to scan everyone's ID???"

HOHO! You really blew my mind there sir! Cracked the case wide open! Obviously it's for some horrible and nefarious purpose and I never even considered that possibilty! (when the reality is that the information disappears in 12 hours and nobody actually prints any data out and nor is it hooked up to anything other than a power supply) Thank you, thank you for opening my eyes and helping me see the light!!

But... really I just tell them "I don't really care. I'm just doing my job."

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I know people get sick of "Guess it's free!" and "Hello, I'll be your customer today!" and stuff like that, but I think it's funny and nice. The scamming and crazy parts I could do without, though.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

The other one I like is when the total is 19 something -- "Good year!"
I get a kick out of this, but everyone is different.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

I.C. posted:

The other one I like is when the total is 19 something -- "Good year!"
I get a kick out of this, but everyone is different.

I hate you. I hate you so much. I wish I could hate you to death.

Speaking of PA when it used to be funnier, someone mentioned "the back" and any time this comes up this is all I can think of.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kelp Me! posted:

Overnight shift at a supermarket when I was 17 is the reason "shoplifter sprinting for door with cart full of unpaid groceries gets clotheslined WWE-style by bored off-duty NYPD cop at 3:30AM" is a personal memory and not a Youtube video I have bookmarked

IIRC the cop was buying something super-mundane like toilet paper on his way home :laugh:

I have a shoplifter getting clotheslined story.

I worked at a department store in a college town.
The store used to have uniformed police pulling overtime doing security and loss prevention at the store, and thus we had pretty much zero incidents for a long time. Recession rolls around and the store starts getting cheap, so out with the real cops and in with the rent-a-cops from a security company. We had this middle-aged, fat biker security guard who wore cowboy boots, and I don't think I ever saw him catch anyone on his own if it came down to a foot chase. The type of people who would make a run for it were always faster than he was. He'd run behind them shouting STOP THIEF really loud and just hope they tripped or something.

One time, he was chasing a dude down the main, broad walkway in the store. A customer shopping there saw what was going on, and gives the runner a push as he was running by. The runner falls hard on the tile floor, and then gets up super mad and pulls a knife from his pocket. This is more than the customer expected, so he backs up and tries to deescalate the situation.
At that moment, a random old lady customer who has been watching the whole thing pulls a gun from her purse, points it at the guy with a knife, and orders him to drop it and to get on the ground. He did so, and allowed the huffing and puffing rent-a-cop to walk him upstairs while they waited for the real cops to show up.

I've heard it said that Arizona is the Florida of the west, and that's a pretty fair comparison :patriot:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

At that moment, a random old lady customer who has been watching the whole thing pulls a gun from her purse, points it at the guy with a knife, and orders him to drop it and to get on the ground. He did so, and allowed the huffing and puffing rent-a-cop to walk him upstairs while they waited for the real cops to show up.

God bless the second amendment :911:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've worked in two grocery stores. The first one featured some very odd locals, the most notable was "Mary". Mary is a 90 year old lady with dementia and one hell of a mean streak. She has one set of clothes, which is a yellow raincoat, a fisherman's hat, and white and red polka-dot shorts. She has been thrown out of every other grocery store in town, leaving our No Frills as the only place she was allowed to shop. She would frequently dismantle displays searching for the ripest fruit, peeling open bananas and oranges to see if they were good, and leaving the rest in a mountain of spoiled garbage we weren't even allowed to put on the reduced rack. She would also do this to packaged goods, ripping open cookie trays and leaving them behind on the shelves. And she would always forget where everything was, and scream at us for rotating our shelves, which we did about once every five months.

The two worst items to handle were corn bins or bananas. Bananas go ripe super fast in grocery stores, due to the way they are shipped in trucks where they sweat like crazy in their boxes. For whatever reason, the people who wanted green bananas and those who wanted ripe bananas always came on the wrong days and chewed us out for having the wrong type of bananas. Just buy some and leave them out for a day and they'll be yellow idiots. Corn is an absolute mess, since we sold it in bulk, and there is nothing people love more than husking cobs in the middle of the store, and then complaining about how the bin looks like poo poo with all the leaves and hair everywhere. These bins also sweat like crazy because they come wrapped in plastic, making the bottom of the bin a swamp of rotting corn cobs in smelly water. I have picked corn so I actually know how to identify a whole cob without husking it, it's quite simple. Just feel the tip and see if it fills out the husk. Doesn't seem to translate to customers though.

Other crazy stories: Our shop is off of the highway, and during the fall, hundreds of asian tourists come over to watch the leaves turn, and we happen to be a stopover for the bus drivers to take a break. So I have on more than one occasion tried to explain to tourists that no, agave syrup is not authentic Canadian Maple Syrup. (And my god do grocery stores do a markup on syrup prices).

The other store I worked at was down in Guelph and was right in the middle of the Italian community, and I swear our store owner was pressured by the mob. Every so often an old man or lady who was pretty clearly connected would come into the store, and the owner would bend over backwards to fudge the numbers and mark down prices just for them, and the few non-italian employees in the store just made ourselves scarce while business happened. At this store there was also another man obsessed with Bananas, but he would only buy singles in bunches, which he demanded he get from the reduced racks. I actually caught him peeling off bananas from bunches and then demanding we bag them up to sell reduced, so I pulled over my manager, and boop, problem was pushed away because the guy was connected, and store owner bent the rules.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had a habit of saying "Did you find everything you were looking for today?" when someone came to the till.

But we had one guy who would always respond with "Nope, still haven't found that bag of a million dollars."

Every goddamn time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

At this store there was also another man obsessed with Bananas, but he would only buy singles in bunches, which he demanded he get from the reduced racks. I actually caught him peeling off bananas from bunches and then demanding we bag them up to sell reduced, so I pulled over my manager, and boop, problem was pushed away because the guy was connected, and store owner bent the rules.

what kind of mobster is so broke they can't afford a normal bunch of bananas? i guess crime really doesn't pay

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Nessa posted:

I had a habit of saying "Did you find everything you were looking for today?" when someone came to the till.

But we had one guy who would always respond with "Nope, still haven't found that bag of a million dollars."

Every goddamn time.

*forgets to scan the other item and announces the wrong total*
"WELL I LIKE THAT FIRST PRICE A LOT MORE!!" *hearty laugh*

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Nessa posted:

Every goddamn time.

Can I get you anything else?

"A million dollars."

Oh my! So witty and clever!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rutibex posted:

what kind of mobster is so broke they can't afford a normal bunch of bananas? i guess crime really doesn't pay

I think it has less to do with money and more to do with being picky and getting away with it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've worked in two grocery stores. The first one featured some very odd locals, the most notable was "Mary". Mary is a 90 year old lady with dementia and one hell of a mean streak. She has one set of clothes, which is a yellow raincoat, a fisherman's hat, and white and red polka-dot shorts. She has been thrown out of every other grocery store in town, leaving our No Frills as the only place she was allowed to shop. She would frequently dismantle displays searching for the ripest fruit, peeling open bananas and oranges to see if they were good, and leaving the rest in a mountain of spoiled garbage we weren't even allowed to put on the reduced rack. She would also do this to packaged goods, ripping open cookie trays and leaving them behind on the shelves. And she would always forget where everything was, and scream at us for rotating our shelves, which we did about once every five months.

The two worst items to handle were corn bins or bananas. Bananas go ripe super fast in grocery stores, due to the way they are shipped in trucks where they sweat like crazy in their boxes. For whatever reason, the people who wanted green bananas and those who wanted ripe bananas always came on the wrong days and chewed us out for having the wrong type of bananas. Just buy some and leave them out for a day and they'll be yellow idiots. Corn is an absolute mess, since we sold it in bulk, and there is nothing people love more than husking cobs in the middle of the store, and then complaining about how the bin looks like poo poo with all the leaves and hair everywhere. These bins also sweat like crazy because they come wrapped in plastic, making the bottom of the bin a swamp of rotting corn cobs in smelly water. I have picked corn so I actually know how to identify a whole cob without husking it, it's quite simple. Just feel the tip and see if it fills out the husk. Doesn't seem to translate to customers though.

Other crazy stories: Our shop is off of the highway, and during the fall, hundreds of asian tourists come over to watch the leaves turn, and we happen to be a stopover for the bus drivers to take a break. So I have on more than one occasion tried to explain to tourists that no, agave syrup is not authentic Canadian Maple Syrup. (And my god do grocery stores do a markup on syrup prices).

The other store I worked at was down in Guelph and was right in the middle of the Italian community, and I swear our store owner was pressured by the mob. Every so often an old man or lady who was pretty clearly connected would come into the store, and the owner would bend over backwards to fudge the numbers and mark down prices just for them, and the few non-italian employees in the store just made ourselves scarce while business happened. At this store there was also another man obsessed with Bananas, but he would only buy singles in bunches, which he demanded he get from the reduced racks. I actually caught him peeling off bananas from bunches and then demanding we bag them up to sell reduced, so I pulled over my manager, and boop, problem was pushed away because the guy was connected, and store owner bent the rules.

What store in Guelph was it that's where I live and I don't really remember any grocery stores in the Italian area but then again I just think of the ward when I think of Italian areas so idk was it Angelinos?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sid Vicious posted:

What store in Guelph was it that's where I live and I don't really remember any grocery stores in the Italian area but then again I just think of the ward when I think of Italian areas so idk was it Angelinos?

Is it pronounced Gelf or Gwelf or Goo-elf

also is it Ont-arrrr-io or Ont-air-io this is important I've only been to Quebec and I don't trust anything those sneaky bastards tell me

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Kelp Me! posted:

Is it pronounced Gelf or Gwelf or Goo-elf

Gwelf

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sid Vicious posted:

It was the No Frills across from the campus and like a billion people with Italian names worked there. In my department there were maybe three of us who had Anglo names

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was the No Frills across from the campus and like a billion people with Italian names worked there. In my department there were maybe three of us who had Anglo names

Oh gently caress yeah I'm retarded it's loving called Domenics NoFrills I should've known. I go there for reduced meat sometimes but it's always really busy with really white trash people shopping and they don't have any manners and I hate it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jeeze you guys is this the horrible customers thread or the goon missed connections thread :parrot:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sid Vicious posted:

Oh gently caress yeah I'm retarded it's loving called Domenics NoFrills I should've known. I go there for reduced meat sometimes but it's always really busy with really white trash people shopping and they don't have any manners and I hate it.

Is the pizza shop run by the friendly Indian couple still in the plaza? They were always super nice when I'd go there on my lunch break.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the pizza shop run by the friendly Indian couple still in the plaza? They were always super nice when I'd go there on my lunch break.

I think so I work at a different pizza store run by a friendly Indian couple near the Metro so there are at least two pizza shops owned by friendly Indian couples. Weird choice but I guess it does better business for cheaper than Indian food.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There was the one time we had a stalker come into our store who had an obsession with one of the teenagers on cash. It got so bad that when he was spotted she'd get sent to the break room while we tried to get rid of him and straight up told him to gently caress off when he started asking why she wasn't there. Creepy forty year old fat gently caress would probably start going on about "ehebophilia" if anyone outright accused him.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My first job was at Blockbuster and my manager's name was Richard Kuntz I swear to god this is true

it was also my first experience with corporate dumbfuckery: I bought a used PS1 game with my fancy new employee discount, took it home, realized the disc was too scratched to play, and returned it, then marked it as damaged for the pile. I literally almost got one-and-done fired for this since apparently returning things you bought with your discount is a gigantic no-no. I'm not sure why, it gave me the correct amount as a refund, it's not like I returned it at full price :confused:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I heard a customer complain that the self-checkout was rude to her.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

haljordan posted:

They're probably way more focused on employee theft, I'm sure Walmart knows down to a penny how much they lose from shoplifting/customer scams

Wal-Mart customer service line on a Monday morning = the TV, barbecue, appliance, clothes, tool, landscaping equipment, car battery and outdoor furniture free rental return line.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Isaac posted:

I heard a customer complain that the self-checkout was rude to her.

I'll put an unexpected item in your bagging area, bitch!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
It said I had an unexpected item in my bagging area, but Im childfree

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
I work at a homebrew supply shop and it is amazing how stressed out people get over their hobbies. We offer around 40 hops and 100+ different grains, hundreds of yeast strains, and god forbid we have the slightly wrong ingredient people go nuts. Keeping 2000+ different products evenly and well stocked is really difficult for a mom/pop shop, and honestly? with our selection, we always have a decent substitute.

On top of that, a lot of dudes would treat our female employees like crap and ask to talk to me instead. Some of them had been brewing for longer than I have and I just didn't understand why a woman can't answer questions about beer/brewing/wine. That, and all the know-it-alls we get who come in.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

thomawesome posted:

I work at a homebrew supply shop and it is amazing how stressed out people get over their hobbies. We offer around 40 hops and 100+ different grains, hundreds of yeast strains, and god forbid we have the slightly wrong ingredient people go nuts. Keeping 2000+ different products evenly and well stocked is really difficult for a mom/pop shop, and honestly? with our selection, we always have a decent substitute.

On top of that, a lot of dudes would treat our female employees like crap and ask to talk to me instead. Some of them had been brewing for longer than I have and I just didn't understand why a woman can't answer questions about beer/brewing/wine. That, and all the know-it-alls we get who come in.

Women knowing more than them intimidate and emasculates them, see the same kind of poo poo in hardware and tech stores.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I used to work in a shop that was adjacent to what i'd say almost definitely was the biggest heroin market in australia. Smackheads would grab a bottle of liquor and nod off before they made it 2 more steps. People would be nodding in the middle of the road, in the gutter. Cars would be idling in the middle of the road with a driver who still had a syringe in their arm nodding.

There was a security guard who worked like 14 hours a day doing nothing but haul smackheads out of the toilets. Another 4 security guards who were all massive weirdos who got their jollies beating up smackheads. Really weird place to work the rules of normal society didnt apply there. No matter what happened the cops would write your statements for you saying you were 100% in the right.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you stole a can of coke there was a guantlet of like 5 staff and another 5 security who would happily hold you down and kick you in the nuts repeatedly for it

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is a specter haunting this thread.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
also from working in the supermarket when I got my hands on the keys to the forklift i'd take the younger peeps on rides around the store room while they stood on a pallet that I had extended to max height

I stopped when after sudden breaking the loving thing almost toppled over and crushed like 6 people

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Marv Hushman posted:

Wal-Mart customer service line on a Monday morning = the TV, barbecue, appliance, clothes, tool, landscaping equipment, car battery and outdoor furniture free rental return line.

One of the local DAs had an unofficial policy where they didn't even bother prosecuting people who shoplifted from one of the Wal-Mart's (unless any kind of violence was involved). They had to change it though because the paper blew up his spot. Eat a dick, Times Union!

haljordan fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 14, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

thomawesome posted:

homebrewing is fun and cool and you get some great and wonky beers out of it but LOL at anybody that gets mad if they have to use Northeast-grown Centennial hops instead of Northwest or whatever

I mean I get that certain strains have very different flavors but I'm reasonably sure that if they don't have the exact patented ultra-expensive Australian hops you want, there's most likely a local variety that gives off a nearly identical profile.

How often do you get people :words:ing about pellets vs. fresh or whatnot?

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
when I built houses for a bit I had a co-worker who would take his asthma inhaler and honk on it for like 5 mins straight till I guess he chugged enough propellant to get high, then he'd wander round the house we were building randomly nailgunning poo poo to the walls

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
I used to work with a bunch of greek dudes who came to NZ to code some stuff for a goverment department and they'd just smoke weed at their (high rise office building) desks and watch porn they hid on the network

best drat programmers I ever worked with

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bookstore customers are insane in a way I've never seen from customers anywhere else.

Also content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv7LwFPp3SY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
i just put a piece of blue tape over the barcode on my license. thus if someone who actually has authority needs to scan it they can take it off and if it's some register jockey they'll have to take two extra seconds to key it in like they did forever.

Jeff Sichoe posted:

when I built houses for a bit I had a co-worker who would take his asthma inhaler and honk on it for like 5 mins straight till I guess he chugged enough propellant to get high, then he'd wander round the house we were building randomly nailgunning poo poo to the walls

irl lol

• Locked thread