Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

berth ell pup posted:

i just put a piece of blue tape over the barcode on my license. thus if someone who actually has authority needs to scan it they can take it off and if it's some register jockey they'll have to take two extra seconds to key it in like they did forever.

irl lol

I'm just going to tear it off and throw it away so you have to keep replacing it. I'm not keying in poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
8am - Old greek lady

I see on the tee vee this you sprinkle on the floor. Where I can find?

10am - Old greek man

My a wife she see on the tee vee you sprinkle on the floor. Where I can find?

1pm - Younger guy

My auntie says she saw this stuff advertised on tv, you sprinkle it on the carpet

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
At the best buy I worked at there was this nerd that would come in every couple weeks and look at the anime section and leave after 10 minutes without buying anything. He always was usually in a trenchcoat and always had a katana on his back. Nothing ever happened, I just didn't believe those people existed in real life before I saw him.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Isaac posted:

8am - Old greek lady

I see on the tee vee this you sprinkle on the floor. Where I can find?

10am - Old greek man

My a wife she see on the tee vee you sprinkle on the floor. Where I can find?

1pm - Younger guy

My auntie says she saw this stuff advertised on tv, you sprinkle it on the carpet

Why so many Greeks

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

berth ell pup posted:

i just put a piece of blue tape over the barcode on my license. thus if someone who actually has authority needs to scan it they can take it off and if it's some register jockey they'll have to take two extra seconds to key it in like they did forever.

I feel like I missed something? Why would you do this?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

haljordan posted:

Why so many Greeks

Its the same family they just keep sending different people hoping that eventually whatever they want will appear with more attempts

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Isaac posted:

Its the same family they just keep sending different people hoping that eventually whatever they want will appear with more attempts

So they're looking for like Resolve?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
if people like these stories, there's actually a 500 page thread for retail workers in the BFC subforum full of people bitching about being expected to do their job and at the same time wondering why they don't get promoted lol

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Arven posted:

At the best buy I worked at there was this nerd that would come in every couple weeks and look at the anime section and leave after 10 minutes without buying anything. He always was usually in a trenchcoat and always had a katana on his back. Nothing ever happened, I just didn't believe those people existed in real life before I saw him.

He's doing his amazon browsing.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kelp Me! posted:

So they're looking for like Resolve?

Apart from the old lady who saw the product in a fever dream not even the people asking know what they are looking for

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno mang it seems pretty obvious they were looking for a powder you sprinkle on your carpet and that's basically the only option

unless they're doing cocaine on Nightmare difficulty

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

I feel like I missed something? Why would you do this?

Because the time of others around him isn't as valuable as his is. That's why it's okay to make people wait in line behind him while I fiddle with his inexplicably and arbitrarily altered license.

Zo posted:

if people like these stories, there's actually a 500 page thread for retail workers in the BFC subforum full of people bitching about being expected to do their job and at the same time wondering why they don't get promoted lol

Nobody in this thread wants to be promoted and be in the same situation as their sad-sack manager. We just want out.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kelp Me! posted:

I dunno mang it seems pretty obvious they were looking for a powder you sprinkle on your carpet and that's basically the only option

unless they're doing cocaine on Nightmare difficulty

Obviously you take them to show things that match their description. I just made up carpet sprinkle as an example of a vauge description.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i watched Misery for the first time literally last night, this video made me produce a hearty guffaw!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Arven posted:

I don't think we had anyone with an actual katana to come look at the anime. We had plenty of other weirdos though. Most of them were pretty quiet, but some would try to talk to me about their favourite animes.

Transformers Tammy was the most memorable. She was a woman in her 40's who was in love with Optimus Prime and wrote (probably erotic) Transformers fan fiction. She'd stand in the children's section and talk to moms about her favourite children's robot cartoons and which ones have the best character development.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arven posted:

lol can you imagine the loving incident that would have taken place if that dude was any other race/build other than fat and white

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kelp Me! posted:

lol can you imagine the loving incident that would have taken place if that dude was any other race/build other than fat and white

It's not the race. It's the katana.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

whoa whoa whoa I appreciate your point but let's quit while we're ahead and open a whole can of worms here.

it is kinda funny though how white nerds get a pass for carrying weapons tho because they'd never actually use them for anything

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I had a guy at Wal-mart try to return a ice cream maker once. It was still in its box, the box was beaten and dirty, smelled like a garage. The Ice cream machine did not work anymore, understandable, you want your money back, I get it.
Well, while he did not have the receipt and the price tag was still on it, it was one of those old green label walmart tags and it had the date on it.....1986. He was nice when I told him that no we are not returning an ice cream machine that is both old enough to vote and buy beer. It was different.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Starman Super DX posted:

Nobody in this thread wants to be promoted and be in the same situation as their sad-sack manager. We just want out.

The only way out is through...at which point you, too, will be a manager.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

new phone who dis posted:

It's not the race. It's the katana.

I'm saying the race is the reason "guy with a katana" isn't something you get the SWAT team involved over

Starman Super DX posted:

whoa whoa whoa I appreciate your point but let's quit while we're ahead and open a whole can of worms here.

it is kinda funny though how white nerds get a pass for carrying weapons tho because they'd never actually use them for anything

I definitely don't want to start any dumb racial debate right here but I don't think it's an edgy or radical opinion to say that a non-white dude with a weapon would be treated a whole lot different. I'll make it non-racial by including skinny redneck white dudes, too.

I have to disagree with your spoiler'ed point though since events in the US in the last several years shows us that white nerds get a pass for carrying weapons despite the last like 90% of major multiple-death incidents being carried out by white nerds

anyway here is a picture of my cat to apologize for the derail:

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm saying the race is the reason "guy with a katana" isn't something you get the SWAT team involved over

I definitely don't want to start any dumb racial debate right here but I don't think it's an edgy or radical opinion to say that a non-white dude with a weapon would be treated a whole lot different. I'll make it non-racial by including skinny redneck white dudes, too.

I have to disagree with your spoiler'ed point though since events in the US in the last several years shows us that white nerds get a pass for carrying weapons despite the last like 90% of major multiple-death incidents being carried out by white nerds

anyway here is a picture of my cat to apologize for the derail:

Nahhh you're definitely right. I was more or less thinking specifically of "katana" type fedora rejects, and less like the Danny Phantom obsessed type with two shotguns.

I'm gonna start being a lot nicer to that smelly kid with aspergers on nightcrew you can bet that much.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Zo posted:

Yeah but nobody reads that poo poo. Here under the GBS bigtop we'll need a goon to pick the the best poo poo, like how we know the highlights of TCC.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kelp Me! posted:

Well, not in the US maybe. There's reports of SWAT teams chasing down white dudes with 'swords' in other countries
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/08/swat-team-called-over-umbrella-with-samurai-sword-handle/

I'm pretty sure those dumb umbrellas with sword handles have also caused scares here in Australia (and a company was also selling umbrellas with rifle handles at one point but was told to cut that poo poo out), but I also see people on public transport with their Aikido practice swords in bags slung over their shoulders semi-regularly and no one bats an eyelid.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Peetown Manning posted:

Does anybody here work retail in one of those fine American chains where you can buy clothing, children's items and hardware at one place?

Its hilarious how this would hamstring my managers. Per shift, among all the cashiers, there was probably one one cashier competent enough to run the hardware department. Since she was good, the actual sale associates could focus on selling rather than reminding the cashier what a wrench was so they could show the customer where they were at. Unfortunately this cashier didn't sell the Company Credit Card so well. The result was a constant battle between the sales associates and the managers regarding the competency of whoever she stuck with them. "They don't know what a loving allen wrench is, put the other person in hardware" they'd say, "They don't sell credit cards well enough!" the manager would retort.

Why yes, I used to work at SEARS.

Last week was my last week working at a retail job. I'm finally out and free. I genuinely feel like I escaped an abusive relationship.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why yes, I used to work at SEARS.

Last week was my last week working at a retail job. I'm finally out and free. I genuinely feel like I escaped an abusive relationship.

What department...oh, lemme guess...appliances, but not unloading?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I worked the register at an upscale art supply store for a short time. The customers were mostly hipsters and wealthy older ladies who had suddenly decided to get into watercolor painting or whatever. We also had our share of real weirdos coming in. There was one guy who appeared homeless, never spoke, had Charles Manson eyes and smelled like DEATH. He came in several times a week and plunked down multiple tubes of our cheapest line of acrylic paint and paid with grimy wadded up cash. I sort of regret not befriending this dude just to see what his undoubtedly mad and obsessive artwork looked like. Whatever it was, he used a LOT of paint. The smell surrounding him was overpowering.

The part of the job I hated most was having to check people's bags and grab their attention as they entered the store. "Excuse me! Excuse me ma'am! I have to take your big floppy purse away from you and stash it behind the counter while you shop because you might steal art supplies." Most people were fine with this but there were always a few who had somehow never been in a store with a bag check policy before and acted shocked and outraged, believing they were just being set up to be robbed by me, the name tag wearing cashier.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 14, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I.C. posted:

What department...oh, lemme guess...appliances, but not unloading?

Sears was years ago. I worked there a few times. First time was as a regular cashier wherever they needed me. Then some years later I was seasonal in the electronics. They let me go just as I was getting the hang of selling TVs. Then the next year's holiday I worked as a cashier again. It was the day before Christmas Eve and I wasnt on the next week's schedule, so I just walked out on my lunch break. Didn't even bother clocking out.

I despised selling the Sears card so so much.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
e

Telephones fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 14, 2017

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
One of the grocery stores in my hometown was unfortunately directly across the street from a low income public housing apartment complex. My aunt worked there from before my birth til the store closed.

Things she apparently saw:
-People standing in the booze aisle and chugging hard liquor with a "gently caress you stop me if you dare" look in their eyes. Sometimes they would run off, sometimes not. The ones that didn't seemes pretty OK with going to jail, since they were going drunk.

-idiot kids shoplifting blatently (I went to school with someone who got arrested for trying to steal a $7 razor, bail was probably more than $7)

My favorite was the lady who would push over an empty stroller with a blanket spread over the top, buy a few very inexpensive groceries, and also stick a 30-pack of beer in the stroller. Under the blanket. IIRC she got away with it a couple times before an employee saw her or someone noticed it on camera or w/e.

This is largely my favorite because I happened to be in the store when the manager accosted her and was like "um, we know that's not a baby." He was trying to stall her until the cops came, she was trying to edge out the door with the stroller without looking like she was doing so.

Also, on behalf of my dad, I'm apologize for the "I guess it's free!" and "that was a good year" type stuff. To everyone.

Macaroni n Smegma
Feb 2, 2005

shi't

Ralph Hurley posted:

I worked the register at an upscale art supply store for a short time. The customers were mostly hipsters and wealthy older ladies who had suddenly decided to get into watercolor painting or whatever. We also had our share of real weirdos coming in. There was one guy who appeared homeless, never spoke, had Charles Manson eyes and smelled like DEATH. He came in several times a week and plunked down multiple tubes of our cheapest line of acrylic paint and paid with grimy wadded up cash. I sort of regret not befriending this dude just to see what his undoubtedly mad and obsessive artwork looked like. Whatever it was, he used a LOT of paint. The smell surrounding him was overpowering.

I'd suspect he was painting the inside of a paper bag but I don't know how well acrylic works for that application

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

That has literally happened to me multiple times and it's one of the reasons B&N is my favorite store and I will be devastated when Amazon eventually pushes them out of the market (although now that Border's is gone I guess each industry needs at least brick-and-mortar chain?)

If they do, would you like to guess who's making a play to be the book industry's brick-and-mortar chain too? Hint: it's Amazon, they have physical bookstores now.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Martinpale posted:

If they do, would you like to guess who's making a play to be the book industry's brick-and-mortar chain too? Hint: it's Amazon, they have physical bookstores now.

Yeah I've been to one of them and I'm not too worried as it more closely resembles a cross between a knockoff Apple store and an airport Hudson News than an actual bookstore

they don't take cash and you pay more if you're not an Amazon Prime member :laffo:

They'd probably make more money doing some sort of affiliate program with B&N tbh. They love selling techy gewgaws there nowadays so having a big display for Alex and poo poo now that the Nooks are 99% dead would be right up their alley anyway. It's pretty obvious that the Amazon storefront is just a thin excuse to get more people playing around with and then buying Alexas and Echos than any actual effort to sell books (which should also be obvious by the fact that they only stock bestsellers and 4-star+ rated books)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 14, 2017

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Amazon (and Jeff Bezos) can suck my cock.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Isaac posted:

I heard a customer complain that the self-checkout was rude to her.

I had a customer complain to me that the automated voice on the phone sounds too much like a phone sex hotline.

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol
I was working in Best buy and a customer wanted to buy a washer/dryer. I had no idea how to sell them, so I called for someone to assist him over the radio. Five minutes went by and no one helped. The customer came to me again, I radioed again, five minutes goes by again, no one helped. He came up to me again and started yelling at me. He pulled a wad of cash out of his pocket and said, "I came here wanting to spend this and this is how you treat me? How could you treat a customer like this? In YOUR store???" And I replied, "Sir, if this was my store, do you think I'd be standing here right now?" That made him angrier and he demanded to see my manager. So I said over the radio (in front of him) that an irate customer wanted to speak to a manager. Afterwards, I was counseled for using the word irate and I should have said "unhappy."

Some goonlord said in a customer satisfaction survey that the anime section in the store was lacking.

It was black Friday and I was working a 12 hour shift (2am - 2pm). We had a Nintendo Wii display in the store. It was about 10am, the store was packed and I was brain dead trying to stock things. Suddenly the contractor Nintendo hired to handle the display came up to me and started screaming that the Wii display wasn't working. I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away.

I worked in a factory making picture frames for a religious company. I had to cut glass for the frames. We had a disabled employee on the staff that cut wood and did janitorial work. One day I accidentally slipped and sliced my hand open on the glass. I ran to the bathroom to clean the wound and used what I thought was soap. It started burning profusely and I frantically tried to wash it off. Apparently the disabled employee had put Mr. Clean in the soap dispenser.

I had a customer tell me, on July 4, "Wow, it sucks they are making you work today." I said, "It's because people like you shop today." She didn't seem too empathetic after that.

A guy asked me to slice his cheese thin. I thought I did it pretty thin and handed it to him. Fifteen minutes later, he stormed back to the deli counter and threw the cheese in my direction and yelled that I had cut it too thick and to do it again. I was a wimp and complied. 😕

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ralph Hurley posted:

The part of the job I hated most was having to check people's bags and grab their attention as they entered the store. "Excuse me! Excuse me ma'am! I have to take your big floppy purse away from you and stash it behind the counter while you shop because you might steal art supplies." Most people were fine with this but there were always a few who had somehow never been in a store with a bag check policy before and acted shocked and outraged, believing they were just being set up to be robbed by me, the name tag wearing cashier.

that is a hosed up policy. did you operate in a really bad part of town or something? no way I would give my bag to some retail clerk. any store that tried to pull that poo poo on me I would turn around and take my business elseware.

if you can't trust me than why should I trust you?

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~
Working at a dispensary in Colorado is probably the best retail job I've ever had. Being monitored by the MED at all times means being able to freely tell people to gently caress off at any point they aren't following the rules, with coworkers and managers always backing you because no one wants to pay that billion dollar fine.

Still weird how upset people get at not being able to get in with an expired license. You can't (or I guess shouldn't be able to) buy booze with ID expired for literal years, why do you think you can come into a high security shop and buy weed???

It's the first job I've had that's made me actively interested in an industry. High pay, actual benefits and free product at least once a week means I'm riding this train until sessions throws me in the gulag.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SUBLIME! posted:

Working at a dispensary in Colorado is probably the best retail job I've ever had. Being monitored by the MED at all times means being able to freely tell people to gently caress off at any point they aren't following the rules, with coworkers and managers always backing you because no one wants to pay that billion dollar fine.

Still weird how upset people get at not being able to get in with an expired license. You can't (or I guess shouldn't be able to) buy booze with ID expired for literal years, why do you think you can come into a high security shop and buy weed???

It's the first job I've had that's made me actively interested in an industry. High pay, actual benefits and free product at least once a week means I'm riding this train until sessions throws me in the gulag.

I hate you so drat much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Rutibex posted:

that is a hosed up policy. did you operate in a really bad part of town or something? no way I would give my bag to some retail clerk. any store that tried to pull that poo poo on me I would turn around and take my business elseware.

if you can't trust me than why should I trust you?

Sorry sir, that's just store policy.
People try to steal poo poo every day and no we don't trust you at all.
I'll get the manager if you like. :o:

I dunno it was in San Francisco in the 90s. There were lowlifes around. People must have stolen from the store a lot. I remember being in a coffee shop nearby and saw I a guy run off with the loving tip jar. Like maybe four dollars in change. A guy working there chased after him like that was his paycheck.

• Locked thread