Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I once saw a lady at Sephora (which is a mid-high end makeup, cosmetics, perfume, skincare store) repeatedly demand a discount of "at least 49%" because "this stuff is just too expensive."

I felt so bad for the clerk. "Um, that's not how that works" didn't seem to penetrate her skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Sailor Viy posted:

Like, all of them? They get your license plate on camera so it's not hard to track you down if you don't pay.

Is this not a thing in the US?

Not really anymore, because of the massive amount of people who would put an old/random/stolen plate (or set, depending on the state) on their car, go steal gas, then switch plates.

It's fairly recent. I'm 31 and when I started driving, I pumped, then paid. Even when I moved to a major metro area, only the really shady areas required payment before pumping. Over the last decade, that's shifted slowly but surely. Nearly everyone having debit or credit cards has helped it along.

I've only ever lived in rural Midwest and metro Midwest, I think it happened faster on the coasts and other areas that... aren't the Midwest. Went with family to Colorado when I was 14, stopoed to get gas at 4 AM in Denver before tracking down my sister's place
The adults with me were slightly confused that they had to pay first, but did it.

There was a guy on a motorcycle (not a biker) who was PISSED about it, though. He came in the store yelling "How the gently caress am I supposed to pay if I don't know what the gently caress it will cost?" The cashier told him he could use a card or pay with cash and get the amount he didn't spend back. He said "That's some loving bullshit." He then saw my surprised grandmother, and said "Sorry, Granny, but it is."

She hated being called Granny. This is why I remember this story.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Tbf to olds, it's harder to learn things naturally and without much effot the older you get

Tbf to everyone who has to deal with them, they should either put in the effort or not get a loving iPad. Or learn to say "I'm sorry, I'm kind of overwhelmed, would you mind helping me by (doing whatever), instead of just poking at things until the work or break.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
One of the grocery stores in my hometown was unfortunately directly across the street from a low income public housing apartment complex. My aunt worked there from before my birth til the store closed.

Things she apparently saw:
-People standing in the booze aisle and chugging hard liquor with a "gently caress you stop me if you dare" look in their eyes. Sometimes they would run off, sometimes not. The ones that didn't seemes pretty OK with going to jail, since they were going drunk.

-idiot kids shoplifting blatently (I went to school with someone who got arrested for trying to steal a $7 razor, bail was probably more than $7)

My favorite was the lady who would push over an empty stroller with a blanket spread over the top, buy a few very inexpensive groceries, and also stick a 30-pack of beer in the stroller. Under the blanket. IIRC she got away with it a couple times before an employee saw her or someone noticed it on camera or w/e.

This is largely my favorite because I happened to be in the store when the manager accosted her and was like "um, we know that's not a baby." He was trying to stall her until the cops came, she was trying to edge out the door with the stroller without looking like she was doing so.

Also, on behalf of my dad, I'm apologize for the "I guess it's free!" and "that was a good year" type stuff. To everyone.

• Locked thread