Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've worked in retail for nearly 14 years, all at the same supermarket, and I have precisely 2 poo poo stories.

Once I found a smear of dog poo poo near the entrance, and once I found a full diaper tucked behind one of the coke fridges at the registers.

Ask me about the 2 seperate instances of attempted suicide that happened in our store though. (Both customers). And another 5 or so in and around the mall we're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Evil Agita posted:

Tell us about the people that suicide in supermarkets

Well, about 5 years ago, a grossly inconsiderate lady decided to jump off the rooftop carpark, and landed directly in front of our receiving door, blocking deliveries. Our first aid attendant had to tend to her until the paramedics arrived. She invariably picked that spot because the door itself is at ground level, and there is a driveway running up to it lower than ground level. so that trucks can back in and have their cargo area level with the floor of the back dock, so that spot is the highest point to jump from. Unfortunately it's still only like 2.5 floors, so it's not high enough to be fatal, she just got a bit mushed.

The other incident was about 12 years ago - a customer grabbed on of the kitchen knives from our kitchenware aisle and attempted to disembowel themselves Japanese style, but couldn't finish - presumably they hadn't realised that sticking a kitchen knife into your gut and rummaging around with it really loving hurts.

Our store is directly across the street from what is probably the biggest public hospital in Australia, and is also the major mental health ward in the state, so we have a lot of crazy people. The Hospital seems to let patients wander freely - it's not uncommon to see crazy people wandering the store in hospital gowns. the pharmacy in our shopping centre also operates a methadone clinic.

Also across the street from us is a large carpark belonging to the hospital, it's probably a good ten storeys high. every year or so you get a jumper, or attempted jumper.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ladron posted:

edit:

what would you say is the number one most shoplifted item in your store?

Probably fruit from the basket of free fruit that we have at the entrance which is supposed to only be for young children.

A more serious answer is probably confectionary, batteries, vitamins, razor blades, condoms and voltaren. Occasionally also entire carts of groceries. (They just walk casually out through the entrance with them)

We're in a dodgy area, and our company decided a couple of years ago that having those one way gates at the entrance wasn't inviting enough so our entry way is completely open now.

Also we only employ a security guard for 15 hours per week.

Management at my store has always been pretty strict about cashiers enforcing the mandatory bag search policy though, so honestly aside from big incidents it isn't as bad as it could be.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

waggles posted:

I have a good(bad) story for you guys. This is second-hand from an e-mail that was sent out. I work at a clothing store geared towards older women (40+). At one of our locations, a customer kept the store open until 1:30 am. The store at this location closes at 8 pm. This customer was "going away" and needed clothes. I don't know what time she came in initially, but she bought $1400 worth of merchandise (after coupons).

Now this part is truly disgusting, we have a loyalty card program where every $25 spent, you get a point and when you get 10 points you get a $15 coupon printed that can be used immediately. Guess what this woman did? She split her orders so that not only can use her coupons, but also the $15 coupon that gets printed. Both types can be used together, so in the end she paid $1300 for her merchandise, kept people in the store for an extra 5 hours, and ended up costing that local store money for payroll and utilities. I have a hunch she'll probably return it all too.

I didn't read the e-mail myself, so I'm sure I got some info wrong, but this kind of behavior with coupons does happen.

If the store closed at 8pm, I don't understand why she wasn't politely asked to leave at 8:01, instructed to leave at 8:05, and if need be, forcibly removed from the building at 8:10, because thats sure as hell what I or any of my coworkers would have done.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

McGavin posted:

If you have video proof you can win a trip to Ciderstock 2015.

I have heaps of gumption too. It's in Aisle 3

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Which takes us right back to the fact that companies using a single metric to evaluate staff is so insanely stupid.

But it's balanced by how hilarious it is when staff game the system.

One of my very first jobs as a kid was working for a guy like that at an auto parts store. If someone wanted something we didn't have, he'd happily send them to our competitors and even give them directions. Hell, he'd sometimes even call them up to see if they had the part if the customer was really nice (or gormless).

He said it doesn't matter if you lose the immediate sale, you'll get it back down the road when the person remembers the how helpful you were or tells someone else.

He usually said it along the lines of, "No one wants to buy poo poo from a oval office, so don't be a oval office."

Those are the best people to work for. I had the best store manager once; he wandered by me one day and said to me: "You know Lord Bude, you're a loving weird oval office, but I like you."

When there were dodgy known shoplifter types in the store, he would loudly, well within earshot of the people in question, instruct other managers to "make sure you follow those two dodgy cunts around so they don't steal anything". He also enthusiastically agreed to a customer's demand that he come out into the carpark so they could fight him. The customer walked back their offer really quickly.

He got into trouble though once because he ended up setting off the fire alarms, causing the fire brigade to come out; when he attempted to cook breakfast for everyone on a portable BBQ in the lunchroom. It was delicious though, herby mushrooms, bacon, chipolatas, fried eggs, grilled tomatoes, toast. All the staff were given extra breaks that day to come out in batches to grab some.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The tipping system is incredibly scummy, but it's the system you guys over there are stuck with, and cheating someone who barely earns enough to survive out of their income is reprehensible. The tip is part of the cost of eating out, and if you can't afford it, you can't afford to eat out.

If it bothers you so much move over here to Australia where tipping is what we do when we throw our lose change in the tip jar because we can't be bothered carrying 60c around in our pockets. You'll be paying $90 a head for a 3 course meal though at an entry level fine dining establishment (not including alcohol).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

To be fair though that's because, in theory, in this country our hospitality industry works their employees wages into every sale. This is my firm belief and why I don't fee guilty for buying medium coffee for $4.30 and pocketing the 70 cents despite the fact the teenage/early uni student barrister has a tip jar with some lovely meme glued to it.

Seeing as you worked there can you answer this personal but professional pointless question.

Is ordering 2 apple pies and 50c cones at the drive through and paying for it mostly in change after midnight considered to be a dick move? A friend and I do it most weekends if we're coming back from the next suburb over after chilling at a mates. One time we brought a friend back with us and she was talking about how it pisses off the servers cause they've already balanced the tills after midnight and adding piles of coins is frustrating.

I agree, it's completely fair and a vastly superior system. My initial point was that the person I was responding to was an arsehole who thought it was ok to save money by cheating someone who more than likely barely makes enough money to survive, on the basis that they are just 'some stoner they won't see again'; and that if there wasn't a tipping culture, they'd still be paying just as much because the food itself would need to be more expensive to cover the wage bills. It certainly wasn't a criticism of our restaurant prices.

As for tipping the 70c, Who knows if the teenage barista is even seeing anything from the tip jar? There is no mention of tips in any Australian enterprise agreement, or piece of legislation. I've researched the subject, and based on common law, tips are the property of the restaurant owner, and they can do whatever they want with them. If a waiter kept a tip without reporting it to their employer, they'd be the ones in trouble for stealing. I won't tip, except out of convenience for getting rid of loose change, and even then I prefer to stick it in a charity box. In any event, it's a grubby practise that shouldn't be encouraged. Allowing it to take hold in Australia would be actively harmful to hospitality workers in the long run.

as for paying for your apple pies and cones in change - If you're giving someone more than a dollar or 2 in silver, (or more than 10 coins or so - 2 dollars worth of 5c pieces is not ok) then you're being an arse; and in fact businesses have a legal right to refuse to accept it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

In the rare event that I've run out of 5c pieces (the smallest coin in Australia) I'll just give people 10c pieces instead until I can either get more 5c pieces or move to another register.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Xaris posted:

id guess payday cashing, or getting $100 cashback from a store and not asking for 2-50s or 5-20s instead like a smart person? 100s are huge loving pain to deal with and many places won't even take em, even here if you pay with them here at the bay bridge toll, they have to get out and write down your plate and file a report because i guess if you spend all day in traffic driving back and forth you might launder up to $500 a day? idk seems stupid.

In Australia (where zenithe is) It's entirely old people who withdraw money by going to the bank each month and writing a cheque to themselves. ATMs don't give out 100s. That and people giving large cash gifts as birthday presents, because they think 100s are fancier. Nobody gets paid by cheque in Australia. Legitimate businesses pay employees by direct deposit to their bank account. Tax is automatically deducted, and all your income details are reported to the tax office. The only time people get paid by some other means is tradies accepting cash payment for work, or businesses that are committing wage fraud.

It works really well - the tax office already knows everything about you, and it coordinates information with pretty much everyone, so when it comes time to do your tax return, unless you've got complicated tax arrangements, for 90% of people it's a 5 minute job of logging on to the tax office website, reviewing the information they've collected, adding in a charitable donation or whatever that you want to claim (if you haven't been using the app to record that stuff as you do it) and hitting send. Pretty much all the information you need is automagically filled in for you. Then a few days later they deposit your tax refund into your bank account.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

iajanus posted:

To be fair, this mystified me the first time I flew from Australia to America and learned that not every country has requirements for all quoted prices to be tax inclusive.

Also, having prices being quoted tax exclusive is ridiculous. How people accept this as being standard or good practice boggles the mind

In fairness, sales tax in the US is set at a state and often even county level. It would be very difficult on a large business to do television advertising and whatnot if they had to have a different quoted price in multiple places a short drive apart. In Australia we have a single nationwide tax so it's easy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If a customer did that at my register I'd toss the change in the direction of the door and tell them to be a good boy and go fetch. I wouldn't care what they did after, that's what I have security for.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

Man have you tried the new eTax? It's SOOOOO goooood. I mean with investments in the future and poo poo I will be looking at paying an accountant to do it for me. But while I'm just earning a standard wage with no real deductibles its like 5min to do my tax return for the year. Just go into the website, log in, copy my annual net sum from the emailed info my work sent and boom done.

So much better than the old lovely etax. Remember the one you had to download, save the data for carry over to next year and it barely had any auto populate data?

Do you mean myTax? myTax is the online form that you use if you have simple tax affairs, eTax is the program you download which is equivalent to a full paper tax return form, and is still around. I haven't used it since myTax came out though.

I'm told the US government tried to develop something similar only to get sued by the companies making tax software that people had to buy, and they stopped.

HazCat posted:

You'll regret it when you see what passes for Internet connectivity here.

I have 100 mbit fibre to the home, seems fine. Also grandfathered into a crazy cheap plan that they can prise from my cold dead body.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

In some cultures it's really rude to hand money to people - you're expected to put it down on the counter. There's this japanese grocery store I go to sometimes, when it's time to pay, you put your money or credit card on a little tray; the cashier slides the tray towards themselves, picks it up, processes your payment, then puts your card or change back onto the tray and slides it towards you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Buying Cheap poo poo shoes will cost you more in the end, both in shoe replacement costs and in medical issues with your feet. The Boots I wear at work cost me about $200 and I expect to be wearing them for years to come.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Whenever someone at work forgets their name badge and wears someone else's for the day I make a point of addressing them by that name for the entire day.

I also encourage them to adopt the mannerisms of that person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Zombiepop posted:

Today a man angrily told me that since we get our stuff for free(I work at a goodwill store), he should get the handwoven carpet from the 70s, for a much lower price, 120 instead of 350$. he really didn't have any argument for why, and he couldnt accept the fact the I wouldnt lower the price for him, but he kept arguing with us.

So I loudly told him, so that every customer in line heard that our money goes to women shelters, food for the homeless, etc, and thats why the price would remain the same.
gently caress middle class people who try to haggle and start fights at the loving goodwill store. Gotta be atleast one every day.

Once when I was volunteering at a lifeline store (similar concept to goodwill), I spent an hour helping this lady in the store, and eventually getting roped into taking her stuff out to the car, which was a brand new Bentley.

• Locked thread