Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arven
Sep 23, 2007

canyoneer posted:

One of the weirdest math misunderstandings someone had still puzzles me to this day. It literally took 2 managers and 40 minutes to explain this to a lady who was getting increasingly agitated.

She had bought something for $100 + tax (about 8%, so say $108 after tax). She came back the next day and returned it, and in the same transaction bought something for $75 plus tax, and the difference was refunded to her card. That purchase after tax would be $75 + $6 tax, $81.

The receipt shows -$100 return +$75 purchase, returning $27 to the customer's card.

She was convinced that the store was stealing $6 from her, because she had paid $108 for something that was $100 but now was buying something for $75 and we were only giving her $27 back so WHERE IS THE OTHER $6 MISTER?
:mad:
She absolutely could not conceptualize that it was netting out the subtotal first, and then applying sale tax to the additional refund (or sale) before moving cash. Or that it would be the exact same thing if we had just refunded $108 in cash and then she paid $75 + $6 tax = $81 to buy her thing.

It was so puzzling. I think they literally drew her a picture to explain it.

I worked returns for 6 months at Best Buy almost 7 years ago now. That happened at least twice a week.

Even more common was this thing they did with recycling old electronics- they would take your old poo poo, but you had to pay 5$ and in return got a BB gift card for 5$. Based on personal experience, I would say 2/3 of people doing this were unable to grasp the concept of what was going on. Without fail they either thought they were getting 5$ for free, or we were outright taking 5$ from them. For the latter, it would escalate to management and they would just hand them 5$ cash from the drawer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
At the best buy I worked at there was this nerd that would come in every couple weeks and look at the anime section and leave after 10 minutes without buying anything. He always was usually in a trenchcoat and always had a katana on his back. Nothing ever happened, I just didn't believe those people existed in real life before I saw him.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Katamari Democracy posted:

I went to a retail store one day and I was wearing a uniform that closely resembled the ones the employee wears. And I love it when people try to be rude to me even though I do not work there. :smug:

You don't even have to have to be wearing anything close to the store uniform, just be dressed in business casual and look like you're in your twenties. Stopping anywhere on the way home from work sucks. I've had people not believe me when I tell them I don't work there and threaten to get my manager.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Starman Super DX posted:

I just ignore rudes when I'm off the clock. If someone gently says "excuse me" and just wants direction I usually give it to them unless I'm desperately trying to get out, but if someone just starts shouting "HELLO? HELLO?" trying to get help at an empty service desk and continuing to scream this at me as I'm already done and walking off thirty feet away... they're gonna be SOL.

If anything not even acknowledging a person's existence should give the hint that you don't even remotely have a reason to speak to them (stranger to stranger, that is, not stranger to actual retail worker)

Whats funny is I don't even work in retail. I'll be in black slacks and a sweater with a collared shirt underneath and I'll get the "HELLO!" guy running at me from across Walmart. I'm too nice to gently caress with anyone :downs:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Had one of those thank you Jesus I'm not in retail anymore moments last night- some guy at Aldis held up the register for 10 minutes trying to return moldy bananas. "I only bought them last Tuesday!". Eventually they just pulled out 75 cents from the register and handed it to him.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Since we're talking about nice customers... I was in Geek Squad for a while, and actually worked with a competent group of people for an eight month span (we all then graduated college and moved on to better jobs around the same time). We would fix stupid simple poo poo over the counter for people for free, and people would CONSTANTLY buy us pizza or go nextdoor to starbucks and get us coffee as a thank you. It owned.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Telephones posted:

Wait are you telling me there are states in this glorious union where you cannot purchase a case of beer?

PA was the opposite until very recently- you could only buy cases of beer. I think the logic was that selling six packs or individual bottles/cans promoted alcoholism. Because having a whole case of beer at your disposal will encourage you to drink less.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

how recently is very recently because in 2011 you could totally buy six packs, you just needed to buy them at a bar for carry out

The six packs at a bar thing was pretty recent too, maybe 2010? You paid for each beer individually the same price if you had ordered it and drank it at the bar.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Am I supposed to tip for pickup orders?

I've tipped and not tipped, and it feels wrong both ways. Lately I've just been tipping like 5% on them and it feels like a fair compromise?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

canyoneer posted:

:agreed:
It's a dumb custom that I hate, so I avoid places where one is supposed to tip.
There's been a trend in recent years of adding a tip field or a tip jar to places you shouldn't expect it.
Drive thru burrito place? tip field on credit card receipt.
Pick-up order at pizza place without a dining room? tip field on credit card receipt
Counter service restaurant where you bus your own table? tip field on credit card receipt

This. Every takeout-only restaurant I've been to in the last couple years has had a tip field on the receipt. This is a rural area too, so (with the exception of Pizza places) none of them deliver. I waffle on tipping places where my pickup order is being handed to me by a bartender or someone who is also waiting tables at the same time, but tipping at a dedicated takeout place is bullshit and I'm willing to bet doesn't go to anyone but the business owner.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Waffle! posted:

The full timers are responding by taking all of their vacations and sick days at once before they quit.

This is the standard move these days, and the whole reason they're doing it is to get those people with salaries and vacation days accrued over several years to quit. Best Buy did that to the store I worked in right after I moved on to a real job. If it's anything like what I saw happen, the jobs will be converted back to full time about a month after everyone quits, and those who stuck around will be forced to re-apply for their own job and take a huge pay and benefits cut.

The Geek Squad guys who drove around in the cars used to actually be super knowledgeable and experienced (unlike the chucklefucks in the store), and consequently made 18-20$ an hour plus commission on additional services and hardware they could sell once they got on site (and a company car they drove home every night!). Right before I left, they also did the "corporate restructure" thing to the field Geek Squad agents, and I believe every single one of them in our region quit. I was one of the in-store aforementioned chucklefucks so it didn't really affect me beyond customers being angry they couldn't schedule in-home stuff temporarily, but it really was a kick in the rear end to get me to move on.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Sitting Here posted:

You should always haggle with hotels BTW. Especially boutique hotels staffed by goons who want to go back to shitposting. They will want you to stop talking ASAP, so you can usually get them to knock off 20 or 30 bucks from the rate.

I've tried this half a dozen times and they've never budged. Both chain hotels and non-chain. They've always been in touristy places, though, so maybe that's why? Maybe I'm just bad at haggling, though... one time I brought up a travel website's price on my phone and asked if they could beat it and they said they would match it and that's it. I didn't stay there, but that's the only time I've had less offered by haggling for a room and it really wasn't. What's the secret?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Closing shifts at Best Buy sucked. Every day some jackass would come in at 8:55 to buy a cell phone, and because that's the one department that still actually makes commission they wouldn't tell them to come back tomorrow. We weren't allowed to lock the doors, only turn off the power to the automatic doors, so as long as you were technically open you'd have assholes prying the doors open to try and buy/return poo poo, causing us to be there even longer.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Former DILF posted:

remember when people were saying "go into law, get a law degree" and then suddenly they weren't worth poo poo because the market was oversaturated?

that's what these Mike Rowe dipshits are trying to do to welding, plumbing and electricians

This has also been true in IT for about 10 years now. There are no jobs here! Go back!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

You know you try to give advice. I take it back, you all deserve to be in retail. Don't worry about schooling, training or having to take a risk to try and improve your lot.

When I was in retail most of my coworkers already had worthless community college or tech school degrees, or a non-STEM bachelors. Not sure how it is in Canada, but poo poo's hosed in America. Everything in education has been over saturated and devalued here, a bachelors degree these days is rapidly becoming the new high school diploma equivalent.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Woops, I confused you with Canadian forklift driver guy. I'm sorry about that.

I did the same thing you did, went back to school while working and clawed my way out, but I got extremely lucky that someone was willing to take a chance on me and was frankly only able to do it because I was living with my parents and had no bills. Education isn't an immediate fix all, you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I think they mean that for every $1000 the store makes, they get 3 man-hours added to their overall hour budget.

Yep. Which reminds me of something idiotic Best Buy was doing when I got out- corporate hired some new VP that held up "Average Sales Per Square Foot" as the holy grail metric of retail, and store man hours and profitability were all switched over to it.

How did stores respond? By shrinking their sales floors by putting up fake walls.
Hey look, we're suddenly crushing our sales figures despite the store not actually being profitable! :downs:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I've always felt it was blatantly obvious that write-ups in retail (and at a lot of lovely corporations) are designed so that all employees are permanently on some kind of probation so they may be fired or denied time off on a whim. Arbitrary rules are only enforced as needed as a means of control. Capitalism sucks.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Zenithe posted:

Today we had a deal, you get 4 cents off the fuel price when you buy anything else.

We had a quick list drawn up of items that you could give the customers basically for free depending on how many litres they filled up with, and gently caress. About 75% of people declined.

Me: Hey, would you like thing for free with your fuel?

Them: No, because apparently I am not a fan of free things.

Corporate in a week: Hmm yes, customers neither want cheaper fuel, nor free things, hmmm.

You put way too much faith in people. It's a good thing everyone declined it, because it would have played out like this:

*Customer leaves with their free bag of peanuts, only to return 10 minutes later with the receipt in hand*

Them: "You said these peanuts were free! You charged me for them right here on my receipt!"

You: "They were free, the cost difference was taken out of your gas."

Them: "No it wasn't, it says right here the gas cost 34 dollars and the peanuts cost 89 cents!"

*this continues for 5 minutes as you try to explain, eventually the MOD comes by and refunds the idiot their 89 cents*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

No survey has ever helped anyone. All they do is get the cashier in trouble if they get less than a perfect score and are used as an easy way to deny raises. They are a plague.

Yes, please only fill out surveys if you are going to give a perfect score. Or, conversely, if you had lovely service instead of not tipping your waiter just give them a not-perfect survey.

• Locked thread