Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jeff Sichoe posted:

when I worked in a supermarket a little kid dropped a terd and none of my staff would pick it up so I hid in the banana storage room until the manager picked it up with a paper towel

This is my favorite story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EnvyJ posted:

i'm gonna start writing down how many times I hear this a day

along with

*buys a $2 item*
"Last of the big spenders!!"

I worked retail for almost a decade and I've never heard that one. Must be regional

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

runupon cracker posted:

that was also a used adult magazine store

Uhhhhh

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
*guys 5-7 year old daughter throws up on the floor, which we are then cleaning up*

Me: Do you want me to get her a cup of water?

Him, glaring at me like I spit on him: Water is a DIUERITIC!!

Me: ??? Ok

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Tbf to olds, it's harder to learn things naturally and without much effot the older you get

Tbf to everyone who has to deal with them, they should either put in the effort or not get a loving iPad. Or learn to say "I'm sorry, I'm kind of overwhelmed, would you mind helping me by (doing whatever), instead of just poking at things until the work or break.

I think a lot of the time it's their relatives buying them those things to be fair

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was asst. manager of a cafe where once a month a huge swarm of deaf people would come in as a social group and they were THE WORST. They would all insist on talking but most of them were totally not able to be understood and they would get super pissy when you'd pass them a piece of paper to write their invariably complex orders on. They were all such annoying assholes and it was clear that was the reason why they had to have a big social meeting, not just because they were deaf. Everyone dreaded working that night

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol I wish he forged ahead with his crippling shyness.

*fumbling nervously around with stock while trying to get the right words out*

"Your... mother was... extra generous when she made you"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Applesnots posted:

I worked in a big adult bookstore back during college, they had a pretty awesome "The customer is always wrong." policy. We were nice to everyone until you tried to steal or we caught you pissing in the theaters. There was one guy who would get blackout drunk in the theater and then piss in the ash can in there, I caught him one night and banned him from the store. A few months later I found him working a kroger pushing carts and I yelled Pisser! for a good twenty minutes at him.
sounds like a weird thing to do to a guy who already seems like he's hit rock bottom

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

new phone who dis posted:

Starbucks has this policy that's called "just say yes". Basically, anything the customer wants, they get.

Did you drink most or all of your drink, then come up to say you didn't like it? We make you a new one.

Is someone outside swearing and bothering you? Here's some free drink tickets.

Are you a mentally ill regular who annihilates the bathroom? Don't worry, we will take care of it!

When I was the manager of a Barnes and Noble cafe (basically a Starbucks with different food) for like 4 years we didn't have to deal with this poo poo and we would just tell people to gently caress off

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

new phone who dis posted:

Were you a franchise or corporate owned? I know the airport, grocery store, and I think bookstore Starbucks were all franchises and all the regular ones are corporate.

It was corporate owned but by B&N. We just would get Starbucks coffee/other drinks and follow their trends including pumpkin spice lattes etc and all the frapps but the food was entirely different and we didn't directly answer to Starbucks, at least not on the store level

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Me! posted:

All you people with customer poop stories (or specifically the stories where you know who it is/it's a repeat customer):

Why the gently caress did you allow those people back into the store? Or I guess the better question is what kind of hosed-up monsters did you have as managers?

poo poo (heh), I banned a customer from my store for life because they let their dog poo poo in the store twice in a row; if I found out the identity of someone who spread poo poo around my store's bathroom I'd have called the cops and had them arrested for vandalism, regular customer or not.

The only people I remember our B&N banning were customers or previous employees who had stolen stuff, and we had a huge amount of horrible customers

The people you would usually want to ban are also the ones who will flood negative reviews and hit up corporate about how bad they were treated daily

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Me! posted:

Literally only super-old people and scammers still use checks in the US. I was actually the only one in the store who knew how to take one and so that was one of my duties, which was fine; I'd just pull them off to the secret register and do it there so they didn't hold up the line for 10 minutes.

Talking about national money thing differences: I like the convenience of the little ATM pinpads they bring you at restaurants and poo poo in Europe/Canada, but they can be slow as balls since they're running on cell networks, and despite the fact that I'm a solid tipper, it's always awkward that the waitstaff gets to see what I left for a tip before I leave the table. (If you don't know, in the US when you pay with a card they take the card away, run it in the back, and bring it back to you with the completed receipt, and then you write how much of a tip to leave. The downside is that the tip sometimes hits as a charge days later, so you'll see like $60 the night you ate and then $15 from the tip a few days later).

I mean, I'm a contractor technically so I get physical work checks to deposit them I don't feel like that's too weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This isn't retail but I have a British client who tips me in bottles of top shelf bourbon so that's pretty cool

• Locked thread