Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I worked at HMV for a few years and one of our worst customers was a lady who thought we were illegally selling Sons of Anarchy merchandise. She began taking pictures of our shelves so she could send them to the Sons of Anarchy people and get us in trouble.

She also wanted to know information about a Walking Dead dartboard. Specifically, she needed to know the exact size of the backing. There is no information on the back of the box, nor on our store website, nor on any other website that sells it. We checked! While we were trying to look up the information for her, she just stood at the counter yelling about how unhelpful we were being by refusing to give her the information.

Normally, we would just open the product in the store, but because it was a dartboard with darts inside the box, it the the only item we were not allowed to open. Head office wouldn't want to risk an employee or customer getting injured by a sharp object in a box.

After we tell the lady that we can't find any information about the backing of the dartboard, she demands the phone number for head office. She used the words "They're going to put on x on this store and that would be bad!" She spoke like a 4 year old the entire time. "The customer is always right! You people have to do what I say!"

For the next half hour, she was on the phone with the head office complaining about how rude we were and how we refused to give her important information. One of my coworkers later came up to her and timidly asked if she needed help with anything and got screamed at for it. The lady probably spent upwards of an hour in the store, didn't buy anything and spent the whole time yelling at everyone while we just smiled and nodded.

When our manager came in the next day, she said she got a really bizarre call from head office about how her staff was extremely rude to a customer. She had no problem believing our side of the story because she knew we never acted like that, so no one got in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had a habit of saying "Did you find everything you were looking for today?" when someone came to the till.

But we had one guy who would always respond with "Nope, still haven't found that bag of a million dollars."

Every goddamn time.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Arven posted:

At the best buy I worked at there was this nerd that would come in every couple weeks and look at the anime section and leave after 10 minutes without buying anything. He always was usually in a trenchcoat and always had a katana on his back. Nothing ever happened, I just didn't believe those people existed in real life before I saw him.

I don't think we had anyone with an actual katana to come look at the anime. We had plenty of other weirdos though. Most of them were pretty quiet, but some would try to talk to me about their favourite animes.

Transformers Tammy was the most memorable. She was a woman in her 40's who was in love with Optimus Prime and wrote (probably erotic) Transformers fan fiction. She'd stand in the children's section and talk to moms about her favourite children's robot cartoons and which ones have the best character development.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Arven posted:

You don't even have to have to be wearing anything close to the store uniform, just be dressed in business casual and look like you're in your twenties. Stopping anywhere on the way home from work sucks. I've had people not believe me when I tell them I don't work there and threaten to get my manager.

I was at a Value Village once and had not one, but two people mistake me for staff while I was browsing clothes or wandering around. One guy wanted me to clean up the mess his daughter made when she dropped her drink on the floor and a lady kept yelling at me trying to get my attention. She came up to me real mad that I was ignoring her, but I was all, "Uh... I don't work here."

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I once got a bad review for our store from a secret shopper She asked me for a movie that recently came out, I took her directly to it, handed it to her, went to the cash desk, rang her through and she was out the door in less than 5 minutes.

But she complained that I was rude to her because my voice wasn't cheerful enough or some nonsense.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Rutibex posted:

i like that low end jobs are not only thankless and poorly paid, but you also have to live in an Orwellian dystopia for your shift. camera trained on you 100% of the time, and god knows who is watching it and for what purposes. and you can never trust anyone because secret police are always around the corner, ready to denounce you for daring not to smile.

Yup. It teaches you, especially as a girl, to always be in "sing-song" mode.

Pretty sure this lady even said she would never shop at our store again because she didn't think my "have a nice day!" was "genuine enough".

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oh no, I have found myself with another retail job since I can't find work in my field. This one is at a small tech store. I wonder what the clientele will be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I was at a food court A&W recently and they had ratings for their service, cleanliness and promptness on a digital scoreboard above their heads. There was a panel to instantly rate them at the counter.

• Locked thread