Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
So for all the stories about people scamming the stores is there any like longterm gameplan for it or is it just that so few people are willing to make total asses of themselves to score 50 bucks from an exhausted manager that it's not worth actually policing?

I feel like rewarding the people who throw tantrums so they can break the rules is only gonna make the problem more common but maybe it doesn't work out that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

haljordan posted:

Whatever gets them out the fuckin door.

yeah but then what's stopping them from just doing it again tomorrow and the day after, or telling their friends that they too can get free money if they act like children.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

I.C. posted:

I know people get sick of "Guess it's free!" and "Hello, I'll be your customer today!" and stuff like that, but I think it's funny and nice. The scamming and crazy parts I could do without, though.

Like I get cashiers hear those kind of lines all the time but it feels a bit self defeating to get mad at both people who are rude to them and people who are at least trying to be nice.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Starman Super DX posted:

good customer itt

seriously tho if you live in a place where you know you're gonna get carded every time regardless of age just have your goddamned ID out first, it's not hard. I had a regular in her 30s and it wasn't until the third time that I had to stare blankly at her while she handed me her payment and saying "I still need your ID" did she finally start making a habit out of it.

The real tragedy is that no matter how many signs get put up, nobody will ever read them or interpret that it applies to them.

"We card everyone? Well surely that doesn't mean me."
-anyone over the age of 30
If you recognized them and knew they were 30 why did you need to card them? There's a corner mart near me and I know all the cashiers, I'll pull out my ID if someone I don't recognize is subbing in cause I look pretty young for my age but otherwise none of the usuals card me because why would they.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Huh, i dunno then. I live in WA and while I had a college town grocery store get it's license revoked all the time from stings (so presumably someone takes it seriously) basically any store that I even remotely regularly visit doesn't card me. Including dedicated places that just sell booze. Heck I've had random grocery clerks not card me when I have a big beard and even once had a sweet old lady cashier tell me she didn't need my ID cause only an adult would be buying the groceries I had. From what I can tell there's a button on the computers that just says date/id not needed.

Don't fault you for it if it's policy it's just so different from my experience.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Starman Super DX posted:

Oh yeah, better for you to realize this at your PC now then to fly to my state, try to buy a case of beer of beer, (which you can't get either, there's an ounce limit) be without your ID, and then proceed to have a meltdown at the register.

Nothing to do with you personally at all, it's just how people react when they happen to be in that situation lol

Yeah I mean it'd never really come up for me, if I have my wallet I have my ID that just seems normal. I was just sorta surprised when you're like "I recognize this over 30 person and yet continue to card her" cause i hadn't really considered that other states might be more stringent than mine. Like here they don't even scan the IDs or anything, even if they do card you they just punch in the date manually so there's really nothing to stop them from making whatever up even if they looked at your ID.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Starman Super DX posted:

one of the things that really gets me, moreso for my own strict state than anything else, is why do people bother storing their IDs in those hard-to-extract-from transparent sleeves in their wallets? who are they just flashing their IDs at ESPECIALLY if they're older and aren't getting carded anyway and any cop is just going to ask them to take it out.

You don't have to take it out most of the time? Some cashiers are oddly anal about it but most of em you can just flip open the wallet and show them.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, I helped with training for cashiers regarding ID for buying liquor and taking the ID out of the wallet is essential because:
-Allows cashier to verify the back of the ID has the needed info and hologram
-Means cashier doesn't need to touch customers' wallet or purse
-Lets cashier carefully check expiration date, photo, etc.

Our state didn't require carding those over 30, but the state liquor board could and did send underage employees to try to sting cashiers. A cashier getting in trouble was a huge thing that would probably involved a district manager yelling at the store manager, so no way a cashier would ever get in trouble for being too cautious.

I still wonder if high school theater kids have ever put on old age makeup and try to buy stuff.

My ID flap flips up so I just flip open my wallet and hold it in an open palm, you can plainly see the picture, my DOB, the expiration date, and everything else you could ask for on the card. I've only incredibly rarely seen people actually use the strip on the back to scan it, most cashiers are fine with just reading it there.

It's easy to pull out so I don't mind if they ask, it just doesn't really come up. Prolly just boils down to location and the businesses themselves, as I also mentioned for stores I visit often they don't even need to see my card cause they recognize me but that's apparently not a thing everywhere so there's just a lot of inconsistencies that come with ID checks I guess.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

canyoneer posted:

Maybe the customer correctly observed that it was 10 minutes before the store closed which means the store was not closed and was open for business.

Eh that's iffy, like you can't order pizza 5 minutes before close from most places because it takes more than 5 minutes to make the pizza and delivery. Think about it like last call in a bar, you can't order drinks past the point where you'd hold up closing time.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Thin Privilege posted:

When I was a delivery driver you could order online up until the closing time (10pm). So you're like, yay I can go home! Oh wait nope I have to drive 20 more minutes for a $1 tip lol
Yeah I know that happens sometimes which is why I said most. Prolly varies manager to manager but around here they stop taking new orders within enough time to close on time.

I legit don't get people who don't understand the concept. Its just last call.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I lived in one of the poorest towns in Indiana when I delievered pizza and the best tippers were the ones that lived in the "ghetto". There was a rich semi-gated community on the outskirts of town that we delivered to as well and they tipped decently too, but on average the poorer the household the greater the tip. Also the large middle eastern population tipped very generously too.

I think this is just one of those social things, like you also only see people begging for money in poor areas/outside stores known for being visited by the lower classes because they know they will get more help there. I was raised by a widowed mom that was a waitress before I was born and did it for a while after my father passed before she went back to school and moved on and as an adult I've always been a good tipper. i don't eat out often but when I do, particularly when I get older waiters/waitresses, I leave a lot of cash cause at worst I'm giving some extra spending money to people who are working for it and at best I'm helping a family. Cash tips are like the most direct and honest form of charity, there's no middleman you just wanna give somethin extra directly towards someone who is working and will appreciate it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
All the stories of people expecting coffee shops or w/e to break their 100 dollar bills just floors me because I thought it was p common knowledge you weren't supposed to do that.

Hell I didn't even know you could I just assumed most places wouldn't have the change and would say so.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

I usually pay with a card and write CASH in the tip amount and leave cash for the tip. Writing 0 feels rude as gently caress, and I don't like carrying enough cash to pay for an entire meal in cash.
I always do this too, I dunno really why maybe just on the offchance someone nicks it or something before the waitress/waiter has a chance to pick it up themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Xaris posted:

ive only shipped things back a few times, but ya this. gently caress dealing with checked bags, its lovely as hell.

I've embraced the carry-on (small but as large as possible suitcase) and "personal item" (aka large rear end duffel bag that carries whatever important poo poo that does not fit in your carry-on), it's like having 2 carry-ons! :eng101:

and then because everyone does this the overhead bins immediately fill up then they have to hold up the plane while they bring out a cart and check random people's bullshit personal items the normal way.

• Locked thread