Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
I work at a homebrew supply shop and it is amazing how stressed out people get over their hobbies. We offer around 40 hops and 100+ different grains, hundreds of yeast strains, and god forbid we have the slightly wrong ingredient people go nuts. Keeping 2000+ different products evenly and well stocked is really difficult for a mom/pop shop, and honestly? with our selection, we always have a decent substitute.

On top of that, a lot of dudes would treat our female employees like crap and ask to talk to me instead. Some of them had been brewing for longer than I have and I just didn't understand why a woman can't answer questions about beer/brewing/wine. That, and all the know-it-alls we get who come in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009

Kelp Me! posted:

How often do you get people :words:ing about pellets vs. fresh or whatnot?

Not that often. Whole cone hops are mostly used for dry hopping and most people stick to pellets. It happens more with grain and yeast substitutions. I hate when people ask me advice and get mad when my solutions for them aren't good enough.

Home brewers, for the most part, are pretty chill, interesting people. I've learned more from the customers about beer making than through my own research. You'd think, though, for a hobby involving alcohol, some people would be more relaxed.

• Locked thread