Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Say Nothing posted:

Screw retail.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lately I've been seeing crazy people videos on Youtube of customers hassling employees (like coming in 2 mins before closing and getting extremely confrontational about everything) and the thing I wonder about is the fact that the employee is being recorded, and now every other nutjob that agrees with this nutjob knows what that poor employee looks like/their name/etc.

There's a power difference here because while the customer can do this and not worry about any personal recourse (they aren't getting filmed, the employee has no idea who they are) its not like the employee can get away with filming a hostile customer and post it on Youtube without potentially compromising their own job security. And ultimately its easier for management to simply fire a retail employee than ban a particular customer (less work, too).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I gotta wonder about the stories involving managers/owners who threaten to fire employees for stealing hot water and petty poo poo like this. Because either it is just an empty threat in which case nobody gives a poo poo or the place has tremendous turnover since they'd be firing people faster than Amy's Baking Company.

Not only that, but for their to be a petty amount of rules like this implies that someone is going to enforce it, which takes time, effort, and ultimately money. As the assistant manager, are you getting some bounty on every associate caught and fired for stealing hot water? No? Then why are you gonna give a poo poo?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Along the lines of tipping, are clients of hairdressers, beauticians, etc any better? I feel like loyalty to something as semi-permanent as hair might encourage people to be more generous if they find a person they like. This in turn can lead to more clients, that are going to be more generous tippers. But I don't know if tipping culture is similar with other service jobs as it is for food service.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've seen a lot of parking garage ticket machines cough them up as change. They're nice because a vending machine that accepts dollar coins tends to be less finicky than dollar bills.

Pretty sure BART and Caltrain machines also accept $2 bills as well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Companies advertising the price+tax allows them to post a deceptively lower powwow which might be just enough to entice the consumer to make a purchase. Even when it gets rung up higher they might buy it anyway.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Not exactly retail, but loosely relevant:

People talk about how a position that has a lot of turnover is a :redflag: and this is true. But even more so is a position where your supervisors have a faster turnover than their underlings is an even bigger red flag.

For the part-timers, our job was basically rounding out some other part-time or full-time job. However, the full-time position at the time as manager was basically $32,000 a year, no overtime. While a genuine full time salaried job with modest benefits (that would generally require 60+ hours/week for a pittance in the Bay Area it was a sales job that was as close as you could get to working for a MLM company, where supervisors were constantly pressured to maintain their dailies/weeklies. One supervisor realized she would actually make more money by busting her rear end back down to part time worker and picking another chill part-time job, it was that insane.

Of course, poo poo rolls downhill, so these miserable, overworked managers that had busted their rear end getting a 4.4 GPA (because apparently this job was unusually anal about grades) essentially took it out on the people that worked under them. Those under them were generally in the process of getting a master's degree themselves and couldn't afford to get fired, so most of them just bent over and took it.

The day I got my current job, which is a blue-collar, union protected, government career, was the best day of my life.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Barudak posted:

Not me but it was not unheard of for dudes at a kids amusement park I worked at to tell women who werent smiling that theyd give them something to smile about while gesturing at their crotch, often with their kids in tow.

This is the same park, again intended to cater to 2-6 year olds, where two families completely unrelated to each other got drunk on liquor they packaged as water and claimed was for their diabetes that they began throwing trash cans at each other and anyone who tried to break up their fight until the cops showed up.

Huh, the only drunken fights I'd see parents get into were were at Chuck E. Cheese's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I don't currently work in retail, but my job is very public-facing, and time and time again I get people saying stuff like, "Oh I could never do your job!". It feels like such a backhanded compliment. They try to come off like you have some special skill or level of patience that they lack, but really it is because they are unwilling to stoop toward putting up with the same bullshit you have to day after day. I imagine this is like a lot of retail or call center people these days.

Think about it, nobody hardly ever says this about a job with a lot of prestige attached to it. "Oh I could never be a CEO that does a lovely job and gets tons of money in spite of their incompetence, I couldn't live with myself!" :jerkbag:

• Locked thread