Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
When I was like 19, I worked at Farmer Jack, which is a long-dead grocery store, as a cashier. Standard grocery soul-destroying retail stuff. One ordinary night I was closing and my manager calls me and the 2 other cashiers closing for the night aside and says "Hey, there's a teenage kid who locked himself in one of the bathroom stalls and he refuses to come out. Who wants to wait outside the bathroom until the cops come?" I ended up volunteering because it was better than cleaning up. I talked to the kid through the door a bunch out of boredom. He was terrified and confused after running away from home, but he was a good kid. It was a pretty interesting night and very weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

canyoneer posted:

I once saw this crunchy mom-type breastfeed a 4 year old while I was working retail.
While she was talking to me and without breaking eye contact, just casually popped a boob out and let the little booger drink his fill. Kid was tall enough to latch while standing up when his mom was sitting down.
It was pretty bizarre.

My girlfriend's a nanny and one of her old clients had a 3 year old daughter who would verbally ask to breastfeed and she would always oblige her. It was incredibly bizarre and troubling. The woman was stupidly crunchy to the point that she wouldn't allow ordinary cleaning products into her house... which meant her house was eternally disgusting and crawling with bugs and dust from their 2 dogs. It was terrifying and one of many reasons why my girlfriend left that gig.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Nessa posted:

I was at a Value Village once and had not one, but two people mistake me for staff while I was browsing clothes or wandering around. One guy wanted me to clean up the mess his daughter made when she dropped her drink on the floor and a lady kept yelling at me trying to get my attention. She came up to me real mad that I was ignoring her, but I was all, "Uh... I don't work here."

Yup, it's real weird. I've been stopped in Kroger/Whole Foods/Dollar General/Walmart/etc on the way home from work so many times before and asked for help as if I work at the store. Apparently wearing a typical polo shirt and dress pants that my office prefers means I work retail. I don't understand the thought process because business casual compromises the vast majority of office workers out there.

Working in any IT support role I've had has been 9999x easier than working retail. I'll agree to that.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have never worked retail (paid my dues in call center tech support), but I have two retail customer stories:

1) I was wearing an Umbreon hoodie (yeah I'm a dweeb), jeans, and flats, shopping at Burlington Coat Factory on an unseasonably cool day. I'd already been harassed by multiple people over my choice not to wear a heavier coat/boots/whatever. This lady came up to me asking "Where are your socks?" and I replied "In my apartment." She then cursed me out for being rude and not helping her, because apparently people with earbuds in their ear wearing novelty hoodies look like employees.

2) I was wearing a purple & black striped hoodie, shopping at CVS. Some lady came up to me and asked me where the shampoo was. If it hadn't been my first time in that particular CVS, I would have just told her, but I just said I didn't work there and she apologized.

Thankfully I no longer seem to give off an employee vibe wherever I go.

I used to work at Kohl's several years ago for a while and my standard attire was a hoodie, so I believe this checks out. I wasn't allowed to wear a hoodie at any other retail jobs though, but they never cared at Kohl's.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Kelp Me! posted:

All the people at Kohl's always seem pretty laid-back. I love that store, last big find was a Hugo Boss sport coat that fit me like a drat glove, marked down to like $20.

Kohl's was, by far, the least stressful retail job I ever worked. The managers were all pretty cool and left me alone for the most part. They didn't really push to do much more than ring up customers and occasionally organize the clearance section. Most of my co-workers were decent people who had a smile on their face too. It was still retail, sure, but it wasn't that bad.

• Locked thread