Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rutibex posted:

rich people love rare books, they are just not they types of books sold at book stores. action comics 1 is chump change next to a Gutenberg Bible or a medieval manuscript or something. anything more than a century old

Dusty old books are a great decorating accessory!

A friend of mine knew someone who worked in a rare book store and apparently one time a woman came in and spent thousands buying old books which had green spines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm saying the race is the reason "guy with a katana" isn't something you get the SWAT team involved over

Well, not in the US maybe. There's reports of SWAT teams chasing down white dudes with 'swords' in other countries
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/08/swat-team-called-over-umbrella-with-samurai-sword-handle/

I'm pretty sure those dumb umbrellas with sword handles have also caused scares here in Australia (and a company was also selling umbrellas with rifle handles at one point but was told to cut that poo poo out), but I also see people on public transport with their Aikido practice swords in bags slung over their shoulders semi-regularly and no one bats an eyelid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arven posted:

You don't even have to have to be wearing anything close to the store uniform, just be dressed in business casual and look like you're in your twenties. Stopping anywhere on the way home from work sucks. I've had people not believe me when I tell them I don't work there and threaten to get my manager.

It's not just retail, I think it happens in all types of customer service. A friend of mine works in a library and he recently went interstate and visited another library and people started asking him reference questions.

A female friend of mine was walking home from the supermarket carrying several shopping bags and just happened to pass through a red light district and a curb crawler asked what her prices were. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a slight chance that Applesnots maybe have been exaggerating for comedic effect

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yelling at someone for an entire 20 minutes would actually be pretty impressive, that's a hell of a long time :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

Sounds like he has life figured out and is happy.

He also sounds like he's ended up being way more successful than 99% of goons will ever be in their lifetimes.

I guess those motivational posters in my career guidance counselor's office were wrong after all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

iajanus posted:

I know it is from awhile ago but the answer to this is "every single one in Australia".

They also have cameras specifically placed to capture the licence plate of every car at every bowser so if someone pumps & runs they just call the cops and report it and go about their day. I was buying something at my local servo and one clerk was on the phone while the other one was serving me. The customer behind me said "Sorry, I just filled up a few minutes ago and forgot to pay and drove off, I came right back to pay" and the guy on the phone was all "Ha, I was just reporting you to the police! I'll just tell them you came back and then I'll ring you out."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Your Taint posted:

If you don't like tipping, don't go to restaurants or bars.

Or move to a country where people are paid an actual living wage so there's no need to tip :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Orkin Mang posted:

50 dollars for a sandwich is a lot of money for a sandwich.

Yeah but the ambience is to die for

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Orkin Mang posted:

a sandwich that is shared is called a cake

An open sandwich that is shared is called a pizza

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yawgmoth posted:

I want to put five $1 bills on my table and remove, then add them back, completely at random. Then leave like a $40 tip for putting up with such insane bullshit.

You could write up a "Tip Bingo" list of random poo poo that happens in restaurants all the time.

CHEF DROPS A PAN IN THE KITCHEN, MAKES LOUD CLANG: Add $2.25
WAITRESS SHOWS YOU THE SPECIALS BOARD BUT YOU DON'T LIKE THE FONT IT IS WRITTEN IN: Remove 50c
WAITRESS LAUGHS AT YOUR DUMB JOKE: Multiball, throw all your loose change on the floor

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

VideoTapir posted:

How do you take a door off the hinges if the hinge pins are on the side you can't get to?

The skinniest employee has to shimmy under the door

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OutOfPrint posted:

One of my first design cases was for "Hat Man." Hat Man considered himself an amazing taxidermist. His most impressive piece was a fur hat made of four species and ten different animals, counting all of the raccoon tails hanging off of it like a mullet. He was also selling a motorcycle helmet with a coyote skin literally nailed to it for $250.

He's a modern day Seth Kinman!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Starman Super DX posted:

applications they need to sign in blood and triplicate so they can immediately "join our family" and get exclusive access to coupons & deals.

... especially since you always know that all that personal info you're giving them is the actual reason they're running the promo at all and you're guaranteed to get a ton of junk mail for the rest of time.

The "Go on the draw to win a new car!" promos you see at the mall are the most blatant versions of this but you always see people filling out those forms

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SpacePig posted:

I think she called back later to apologize.

My Dad has turned into one of those old guys who will go off at people in stores and then later have to go back in and apologise. He lives in a small country town and there's not enough stores that he can just go somewhere else if he blows up at some poor register jockey over nothing.

Edit: a recent example - he moved house not too long ago and when the paperwork was being finalised he went back and checked out the new house and noticed that the previous owner had left some really nice carved hardwood furniture behind. He was pretty happy that he was getting some free furniture as part of the deal. When he arrived a few days after that to start moving in the 'free' furniture had mysteriously disappeared so he went down the the estate agent's office and SCREAMED at them for being liars and thieves and rip off artists. A few days after that he found out that the previous owners had come back and picked up the furniture (as they'd been intending to do all along) so he had to crawl back to the estate agents and eat crow.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 13, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Starman Super DX posted:

One of my high school English teachers once told us that when she was in school they had someone who called themselves "The Angry Dumper". Apparently disgruntled individuals smearing poo poo on the wall as a form of non violent protest is a surprisingly common and unoriginal thing. I'm also fairly certain that it's something that people do in prison.

Sometimes when prisoners know they're going to get an asskicking from the guards they'll smear their own poo poo all over themselves just to ruin the guards' day as much as possible. It's called "bronzing up."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Panfilo posted:

Not exactly retail, but loosely relevant:

People talk about how a position that has a lot of turnover is a :redflag: and this is true. But even more so is a position where your supervisors have a faster turnover than their underlings is an even bigger red flag.

Yeah it's usually a good sign that things are genuinely hosed. I worked in a lovely data entry job for a telco years and years ago but the entire team was subcontracted through a temp agency instead of working directly for the company. I'm guessing that the temp agency signed some crazy agreement that their chair moisteners from sector 7G valued employees would deliver a specific amount of work at a specific level of quality that was all but impossible to achieve since the wages they were offering were so lovely that they just couldn't place the right people in the team. I was hitting the KPIs really easy because I was slumming it and couldn't be bothered finding a better job but every other person in the office was struggling which meant that it was impossible for the temp agency to fulfill the terms of the contract.

We went through managers at a crazy pace, they had to send in a new one every 6 months or so but poo poo didn't really hit the fan until they sent in a manager who decided to stick it out and whip everyone into shape. He was a goddamn oval office of a human being. My team leader hated him so much that she quit and they didn't have anyone to fill her position so I somehow became unofficial team leader and took over all the team admin duties (without any extra pay, naturally) while still having to do all my original data entry work so I soon quit as well. It was pretty impressive that the only realworld change the cunty manager had on the team was to drive away the only competent workers in the office. :v:

Edit: the "exit interview" where I sat down with the office manager and the temp agency rep for a chat was hilarious.
"So, who would you recommend from the team to step in and take over the admin duties?"
"None of them are capable of doing it."
"What about ____?"
"Maybe if I sat with him and trained him for a month but this is my last day."
"Oh."

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 23, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've been living in the same area for so long that I've been served by the same clerks in the same store nearly every day for a decade so I've memorised most of their names (so I know when they forget their name tag at home and they just wear someone else's, you're not fooling me "Matthew") but I still hardly ever call them by name because that's creepy and weird. There's a few exceptions where I chat with them so often that we know most of each other's business and they comment about my purchasing habits ("Hey I thought you preferred that other brand of coffee?")

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lmao. He even had a leg up on her.

:chanpop:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy poo poo I actually saw someone pull the "Well you just lost a customer!' maneuver in real life for the first time today and it was in The Reject Shop of all places (a large chain of lovely cheap discount stores here in Australia). Some guy was in the toy aisle pawing through all the lovely cheap Matchbox cars and apparently he didn't see the exact one he wanted on the shelf so he reached up and pulled down a box stored on top of the shelf and started unpacking it. A store clerk told him to cut that out and he yelled "Well you just lost a customer!" and then immediately went back to looking through the toy cars that were out on the shelf.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

iajanus posted:

The correct response, from memory, is to shrug and let him leave.

Then you go to back and laugh about him.

The guy I work for has a great response for people who make ridiculous complaints, he just nods and says "Okay" in an agreeable but non-committal voice and then just stands there. It totally encapsulates "I have heard your complaint and acknowledge it but choose not to act upon it" in a single syllable. Customers never expect it and usually have no idea how to respond, it tends to totally deflate them. If they keep complaining he'll usually pull out something like "I hear what you're saying, I'll think about it and get back to you about it but I can't do anything right now because we're just about to start _____."

• Locked thread