Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Tonight some absolute fucker goes to buy a $3 bottle of water with a fifty. The thing is I can see in his wallet he has a twenty and a ten, so I mention that I don't have a lot in the till (night shift at a petrol station) and he then goes, nah, I actually just want to split the note. I say that it won't be neat change and he literally just says he doesn't care what I think.

Congratulations sir, your prize is all of my silver. Don't come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

none of that matters.

My niece instantly realised that what this metric actually meant was that she should do everything in her power to discourage every sale which did not consist of one of these selected items. Especially expensive items.

Your niece and I came to exactly the same conclusion.

Also, if they pay for a more expensive thing that isn't itemised than the "correct" size for that month, then just ring up the one that gets you points, then say you accidentally shortchanged someone at the end of the shift.

:capitalism:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Also you only can get feedback from people who use loyalty cards, which had the obvious effect of nobody asking for them anymore.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Today we had a deal, you get 4 cents off the fuel price when you buy anything else.

We had a quick list drawn up of items that you could give the customers basically for free depending on how many litres they filled up with, and gently caress. About 75% of people declined.

Me: Hey, would you like thing for free with your fuel?

Them: No, because apparently I am not a fan of free things.

Corporate in a week: Hmm yes, customers neither want cheaper fuel, nor free things, hmmm.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Worked a straight ten hour shift yesterday (Sunday) and we had some contractors on site doing some painting and putting new signs up, and about a dozen separate customers came in to get their stuff and all mentioned something along the lines of:

"look at that, people working..... on a Sunday"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

While we're on the topic, gently caress anyone who uses $100 bills, unless what you are buying is actually close to $100.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Nobody gets paid by cheque in Australia. Legitimate businesses pay employees by direct deposit to their bank account.

Have I mentioned that a significant part of my customer base are blue collar workers who carry literally thousands of dollars in cash? Because that.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't think you understand the scope of what you're suggesting.

It's been suggested in Australia as surge pricing a la Uber. I'd honestly be interested to see them try and run that, purely because of how much of an absolute garbage fire that would be in practice.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/surge-pricing-could-increase-supermarket-profits/8692908

Like, can you imagine how bad this would be for everyone.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Rutibex posted:

How could this even work? Grocery stores rely heavily on printed fliers advertising their sales. If the prices change all the time they can't advertise anything.

Buy this for $4.99!!! **************

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

SpacePig posted:

God, I can barely approach people working when I need help.

I always prefer people ask me. So often I ask if they are looking for something (we have a bunch of random poo poo), get told no, then two minutes later get asked if we have something and immediately either show them where it is or say we don't have it. Just ask you idiots, you'll be out of my shop faster.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I like how nobody realises it's the biggest win win for the worker.

"wait, so you're going to leave and you won't be coming back?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Murderion posted:

Working retail in a country with mandatory bag charges is a special hell, especially when we get tourists in.

Oh man, we're starting this next year, gonna be goddamn amazing :allears:

• Locked thread