Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
you dont need a job in alaska, just trap fur animals :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

So inequality is just people getting what they deserve, good to know.

correct:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcEWRykSgwE

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 1, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

It's really funny watching people try to steal from the Apple Store. They set out all their devices for the free of taking, but what people don't realize is that once it leaves the store it starts making a horrible alarm sound and bricks itself to never be used.

So many people just bring in a phone and say they saw it on a bench just blaring it's alarm.

Another dude stole a speaker and a week later he came back to do it again, got recognized, and was taken away by authorities.

does this mean you could brick all the cell phones and tablets in an apple store at once with some kind of wifi scrambler?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i would have just taken the free peanuts for myself when they refuse

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

I know the US doesn't have dollar coins in large circulation, but don't they at least have 50¢ coins?

EDIT: Giving someone a huge pile of coins is always a dick move.

I have an American $1 coin, it has a picture of george Washington on it. it's the same size and colour as a Canadian loonie, but the design is kind for cheap so it looks more like a bus token than real money.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

berth ell pup posted:

and though the 40% ones have intrinsic value it's illegal to melt them for scrap. still neat though. when I was making daily deposits years ago for work I'd periodically ask if they had any halves and got many 40% ones and a couple 90% ones and tons of the plain ones which I spent. i was probably "that guy" but whatever. http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html if you care.

When I was a cashier I would always pull all the wheats (for fun) and the silver I'd get from time to time. You can hear the difference with silver when you put it in the drawer and I just ended up developing an eye for wheats, of which I have several hundred in a cigar box somewhere. The silver-containing nickels are hard to spot but they're usually worn and sort of dirty and I have a small collection of those.

There are some truly batshit people out there that buy cases and cases of "crw" (customer wrapped rolls) of pennies from banks and sort the pure copper ones from the copper/zinc ones. people with even more time do it with dimes and quarters. I don't know how much silver is still out there but ~8-10 years ago they'd get like a quarter out of each $1k in rolled quarters or some other insanely small payout. A lot of banks don't even take rolled coin anymore so idk where they'd get them now.

oh and coinstars used to reject silver (still do?) so i'd always check the reject bin when leaving a grocery store and I found a good bit of silver that way too.

When I was a cashier at a gas station I would make a point of collecting all the cool old coins. Canada does like a dozen commemorative one off quarters every year, so I would try to pick up those. I would also grab any coins with the hot young queen on it, or even rarer the ones with the king. I particularly like the octagonal nickels.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

It's been suggested in Australia as surge pricing a la Uber. I'd honestly be interested to see them try and run that, purely because of how much of an absolute garbage fire that would be in practice.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/surge-pricing-could-increase-supermarket-profits/8692908

Like, can you imagine how bad this would be for everyone.

How could this even work? Grocery stores rely heavily on printed fliers advertising their sales. If the prices change all the time they can't advertise anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

Buy this for $4.99!!! **************

I think I understand now why everyone wants me on their loyalty app. Once they have enough penetration in phones to push price updates they can implement surge pricing for all goods and squeak out a few more percent profit.

• Locked thread