Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

canyoneer posted:

:agreed:
It's a dumb custom that I hate, so I avoid places where one is supposed to tip.
There's been a trend in recent years of adding a tip field or a tip jar to places you shouldn't expect it.
Drive thru burrito place? tip field on credit card receipt.
Pick-up order at pizza place without a dining room? tip field on credit card receipt
Counter service restaurant where you bus your own table? tip field on credit card receipt

the tip field thing is determined by the company that makes the POS system hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Boy I've seen posts that were obviously made from a phone but that last paragraph might take the cake

Also sorry, but "old people are slow and stingy" is like the most generic bad customer stereotype ever, in 17 years that's all you've got? :cmon:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:justpost:

Preferably not from mobile

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Starman Super DX posted:

I will continue to phone post in this thread and there isn't a thing you can do to stop me. :hehe:

Your posts.dont look
look like this,

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Catching shoplifters was more of a fun hobby than a job requirement. They're so dumb sometimes :downs:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I guess the used book annex guy figured out that nobody was buying the good stuff at his off-the-internet prices over at Barnes & Noble. He literally moved everything up a sales tier. All the books are marked with a blue/green/red/yellow sticker. Up until this week, it was, in that order, priced as marked/50% off/75% off/$1.00 flat. This past Thursday went in and everything had been moved up a tier - the priced-as-marked is now 50% off, 50% is now 75% off, etc.

It's pretty loving awesome and we've already been back 2 more times since Thursday. I managed to complete my David Sedaris collection with 3 books at $1 each; also picked up the 3 newest Star Wars books (including Thrawn which is still displayed up front in the "new bestesllers" section) for $8 each, the Welcome to Night Vale vol. 1 transcripts for $4, both Amy Sedaris coffee table books for $1 each...

It's incredible. Doubly so because out of virtually any dumb vice or hobby I have, it is absolutely impossible for me to feel guilty about spending money on books, even if it's going to take me years to read them all. How can I feel guilty for buying books :unsmith:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

this is totally fine and the servers like it, they will happily pocket your cash tip and not worry about paying taxes on it

I always try to tip in cash for both delivery and restaurants. Even if the place doesn't gently caress around and the delivery guy/server gets the full amount, I know from experience how much more satisfying it is to leave your job with a wad of cash rather than the promise of a fat paycheck next week.

Then again there was a good chunk of time where my nightly tips usually went straight up my nose, so I might be a bit biased.

Never had an issue writing 0 instead of cash though, I don't think it's rude if you're leaving the cash in there with the check. I usually just draw a line instead of writing 0 but same concept.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

are you a pharmacist? because i can think of literally zero retail situations where my life is at stake, or really anything greater than "will i have this tchotchke now, or in 10 minutes at the closest competitor?"

Selling replacement batteries for CPAP machines is probably as close as I ever got, although judging from the panic in the voices of people buying Lightning cables you'd think "my iPhone is dead" was a terminal condition

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Starman Super DX posted:

you know, I've never written anything in the tip line after taking my receipt when I leave cash behind on the table. Is this something I should be concerned about? I don't know enough about the particularly industry, although I'm usually going to small sushi places and little diners, usually never big chain restaurants.

No because the risk/reward is too great. I went to a bar in Boston that an acquaintance was the GM of, and one of the bartenders added a number onto her tip (it was $4 tip for 4 beers, she added a 1 to make it $14). I called my credit card company to dispute it and a couple of days later the GM guy I knew told me that the CC company had literally called his bar, asked to talk to him, explained the entire situation and requested documentation, etc. He ended up basically having to fire her because they faxed him my signed copy of the receipt that I scanned for them when I talked to them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Starman Super DX posted:

holy poo poo. She deserved it for trying to scam you out of another :10bux: but goddamn what an awkward situation to be put in :(

Any time I write the tip in I'm keeping the receipt from now on.

It was an incredibly rare occurrence and tbh I've never personally seen or heard of it happening to someone else. Bartender was apparently a secret methhead and that was like the 3rd time she'd tried that trick. TBQH I stopped filling out/keeping my copy of receipts a few years back, I've never had an issue before or after that one time. (It was so extraordinary that I called my CC company about it which has happened maybe 3-4 times in the last 13 years)

When we went on our honeymoon last year I saved every single receipt to make sure we didn't get hosed on exchange rates, when we got home I made it about 10 minutes of organizing and starting to do calculations before I said gently caress it and tossed the whole lot :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

KiteAuraan posted:

Finally told a customer not to come in through the cart bay, because it's a blind spot and if I am coming in I won't see them until I have slammed their fat old rear end to death with 500lbs of carts. Old idiot got mad and huffy, then got to the other locked door (we lock a couple sets of doors out of like, 5 total, early) and got madder. I saw her leave without buying anything.

Sorry you got told something for your own safety by someone younger than you bitch, and that you had to walk like, 10 extra feet.

The safety vs. convenience thing always boggles my mind. I almost t-boned a woman driving to work this morning because she tried to beat me to make a left turn out of a stop sign intersection. There was nobody behind me and nobody in the oncoming lane, so it was literally a matter of the <1 second it would have taken me to pass by the intersection (it's a 45mph road). I really had to slam my brakes to not hit her, and if I had hit her it would have been my front end slamming directly into her driver's side door. Like I get super road-ragey and drive aggressively a lot but none of my poo poo ever extends to "this move will only work if I assume the person I'm about to cut off/pass/whatever has enough reaction time to slam their brakes and not wreck me" type stuff.

Anyway that's my little rant tyvm for reading and have a nice day :)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DIY condiments is one of the things I miss about Quiznos. There's a burrito place near me with a salsa bar and it's awesome.

(they also still stock my favorite brand of hot sauce even though the company moved to Arizona and none of the stores here sell it anymore, I need to ask how they're still getting it)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

Extreme defensiveness defines this thread and I've enjoyed poking the beehive.

Even I've got nothing but :allears: on this one

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was just a passenger but I'm posting by proxy the story of the Orthodox Jewish guy who held up the flight for nearly 25 minutes by absolutely refusing to give up his big bulky carry-on, despite being told a million times "you don't need to go to baggage claim it will literally be sitting at the exit waiting for you."

Even the guy in the yellow vest loading baggage came on to the flight to try to reason with the guy. Eventually he relented, but the second the seatbelt sign went off the dude started pacing the aisle checking the overhead bins, and when he found one that wasn't 100% full (no way he would have fit his bag in there anyway), proceeded to berate every flight attendant within earshot about it.

Honestly considering notable events of the past year I'm surprised he wasn't dragged off the flight by the cops before we took off. I'm also convinced if he had been any other race/religion aside from an old, obese white guy with peyes and hat, he would have been tackled by an air marshall for pacing around and randomly rooting around in the overhead bins.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A lot of airlines are doing that retarded Basic Economy thing, it's loving toxic. Lucky for me my credit card company reimburses me for checked bag fees. Supposedly if I do the Basic-to-Regular Economy upgrade at the airport instead of in advance, they'll reimburse me for that too, but I haven't tried it yet.

I can honestly say that the European budget airlines like EasyJet are somehow still more pleasant experiences than some of the big names here like Delta or United.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean that's more "people are dumb and don't read fine print" than Kayak's fault. All the airline websites make it pretty clear you're getting the absolute basics.

Easyjet and the like (Lufthansa has its own budget brand too, forget what it's called but it's great) are fantastic if you actually take the time to understand what you're getting into. We flew from Edinburgh to Amsterdam and Berlin to Barcelona and the flights were like 50£\€ per person. The only extra fees we paid were like $8 a person to get an assigned seat and board first.

It was pretty funny to see the flight attendants' give-no-fucks attitude, one of them literally told a group of drunken Scotsmen to "sit the gently caress down until the plane lands, you're not toddlers, you can hold your pish 10 more minutes" :laugh:

I should mention too that those were last-minute flight bookings too, you can really get some absurd deals if you plan ahead.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Blockade posted:

I once mailed a potato with just a label stuck on it to my brother while he was at boot camp. I wrote in sharpie on it that he could eat it if he got hungry.

I ordered a muffler for my sister's giant SUV and they literally just slapped a FedEx label on the drat thing. I needed a heat gun and a bunch of Goo Gone to get it off :mad:

e: the FedEx driver said it was not even close to the weirdest un-packaged item he'd ever delivered though

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So wait, your whole job is pushing people in wheelchairs around the airport?

I mean I guess I can believe that a decent-sized airport has enough flyers that would need that service but I always assumed that wheelchair pushing was just part of the job description for the general airport maintenance crew or whatever.

Do you get to drive those big golf cart things too? All the guys who drive those things at the airports here drive around like entitled jerks and beep their little horns at everyone constantly.

I don't know that I would even think to tip in a situation like that, I honestly always assumed all the various airport jobs were mostly unionized and therefore all making at least decent money off it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Man, it sounds like you work for a company that specializes in doing all the really boring stuff that the other airport employees don't want to do. That blows. You work at an airport in Alaska? I guess that explains why you don't have the golf cart things, but I've seen them at most major airports.

Just take the TSA training course you get government bennies and AFAIK you barely even need a GED

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

I've read somewhere that the TSA is the perfect job for the near-terminally stupid, because you are actively required to follow all instructions no matter how stupid, take everything absolutely literally, and have no concern for others. And being racist helps.

Basically, yeah. Most of the "OMG SCANDALOUS" videos you see of TSA agents patting down small children or making mothers sample their own breast milk to prove it's really milk, in most cases the agents have just had the regulations drilled into their heads non-stop and also know full well that "common sense" is not a defense against being fired for not doing the job.

I mean, "I was just following orders to the letter" is historically not a great defense, but I doubt that "doing a full adult-level patdown on a 6-year-old" was an intentionally malicious decision on the part of the bored TSA agent counting minutes until his next break.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

I don't know how much public ridicule is going to affect a child who shits himself in the checkout line in order to get chocolate.

I bet if the cashier and a few strangers started pointing and laughing the story would be different, but as it is most of the ridicule was probably aimed at the mom for not being able to control her kid.

Sometimes a child just needs a smack, and it's kind of silly that you have to worry about a stranger calling CPS or something over it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Or maybe just not giving him the loving candy would help. I mean for gently caress's sake.

If you're at a point where your non-retarded child is intentionally making GBS threads his pants in a public setting to get what he wants, I think there's way deeper behavioral concerns to be addressed than "did he get the candy in the end"

Like, even regular old screaming/crying tantrums are something that should be mostly weeded out by the time they're like 5-6 tops, but even more hosed up is that a kid that age doesn't understand how horrifyingly embarrassing the action he took was. That kid's going to have some serious boundary issues even if he does learn to stop being a spoiled brat. I'm talking the kind of person that hits high school and genuinely thinks farting out loud in a classroom or picking his nose during a conversation is ok.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hitting children is bad.

Hitting and spanking are different things entirely, but the end result of a blanket "physically touching your child is bad" mentality is those parents you see who are clearly on the verge of a mental breakdown as they try to calmly rationalize with a 4-year-old as to why they can't have any candy

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Counterpoint: yes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That study is flawed in multiple ways:

https://www.cardus.ca/organization/news/303/banning-spanking-does-more-harm-than-good/ posted:

Proponents of spanking bans often cite a 2016 University of Texas at Austin review that found the appropriate use of reasonable force caused children to have aggressive or other negative tendencies. However, Dr. Robert Larzelere, Endowed Professor of Parenting at Oklahoma State University, notes that almost all the studies examined in that review failed to distinguish between spanking and abuse. He also notes the review failed to determine whether aggressive behaviour observed in children came before or after the use of reasonable force.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-science-says-and-doesn-t-about-spanking/ posted:

Yet some researchers remain skeptical. First, although the new analysis did attempt to separate the effects of spanking from those of physical tactics that are considered harsher, research has shown that many parents who spank also use other forms of punishment—so “you’re still not really isolating spanking from overall abusiveness,” explains Christopher Ferguson, a psychologist at Stetson University in Florida. In other words, the negative effects associated with spanking could still be driven in part by parents’ use of other tactics.
The new analysis also did not completely overcome the lumping problem: It considered slapping and hitting children anywhere on the body as synonymous with spanking but these actions might have distinct effects. Some research also suggests that the effects of spanking differ depending on the reasons parents spank, how frequently they do so and how old children are at the time—so the conclusion from the meta-analysis that spanking itself is dangerous may be overly simplistic. “I think it’s irresponsible to make exclusive statements one way or another,” Ferguson says.
Finally, the associations reported in the meta-analysis between spanking and negative outcomes did not control for the potential mediating effects of other variables, which raises the chicken-or-egg question: Are kids spanked because they act out or do they act out because they are spanked—or both? (Even longitudinal studies don’t completely resolve this problem, because behavioral problems may worsen over time regardless of spanking’s effects.) To rule out the possibility that spanking is only associated with bad outcomes because poorly behaved kids are the ones getting spanked, researchers can use statistical methods to control for the influence of temperament and preexisting behavioral characteristics—but these methods are difficult to employ in meta-analyses, and the new analysis did not attempt such a feat. Ferguson did try to control for the effects of preexisting child behavior in a 2013 meta-analysis he published of the longitudinal studies on this issue; when he did, “spanking’s effects became trivial,” he says. As a further demonstration of the importance of careful statistical controls, Robert Larzelere, a psychologist at Oklahoma State University, and his colleagues reported in a 2010 study that grounding and psychotherapy are linked just as strongly to bad behavior as spanking is but that all the associations disappear with the use of careful statistical controls. It makes sense that disciplinary tactics used as responses to bad behavior will be associated with such behavior, Larzelere says, unless care is taken to control for children’s preexisting characteristics and temperaments.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Problem with condoning parents hitting their kids for good reasons is that they'll see it as equally appropriate to hit their kids for bad reasons.

I agree with this to an extent but I'd say that's more a problem with the parents' behavior than the kids.

Pththya-lyi posted:

It's also confusing - when you hit a kid for hitting his sister, the lesson he'll probably take from it is "It's okay to hit someone as long as you don't get caught."

Agree with this too. It's situational. What you said is true, but if you smack a kid in the butt because he's literally weeping and shrieking over a candy bar, that's a bit of a different story I think.

It's also IMO important to follow that up with an explanation. You can't just spank a kid and be done - they need to understand that the reason for the action, so they understand that public tantrums, and not candy, is the reason.

But anyway I'm not a child psychologist and this derail's getting a bit long in the tooth. I've just seen too many verge-of-tears-themselves parents trying to explain the concept of delayed gratification to little Brayden as he shrieks and tears products off the shelves.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

No, they aren't. There is literally zero difference and if you really think that striking a child with any amount of force for any reason is acceptable ever, I hope your balls get microwaved while still attached.

lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pixaal posted:

Hey guys this derail is done, people are polarized over it and you aren't going to change their opinion let's do that in another thread I'm sure there's someplace better for that conversation.

Working a 4.5 hour shift to close was great, because you didn't get a break but managers would let you go buy some booze next door and keep it in the freezer when it was slow 40 minutes before closing. You could also do a quick shopping for a few items in the store basically keep it under 10 minutes. If you had a break they'd make you do that stuff during break, so you basically got a free break.

When I was still a peon before I hit manager there was a dude who would have all his shifts scheduled for exactly 5 hours, since that was the minimum before you could take a paid 30-minute break. The dude would come in for a 9-1 shift and try to duck out for lunch at 12, and would come back at like 12:45, dick around for 10 minutes and leave again. That was one of the more "height of laziness" acts I'd seen until then.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

How did no one tell this guy to go gently caress himself and schedule him for four hours instead?

If they made "guy who blatantly disregards corporate procedure like planograms and metrics" manager you can imagine how apathetic the guy I replaced must have been

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah but retail stores are usually struggling for hours because corporate are pricks and keep cutting them. Someone that was burning an hour per shift would be a prime target.

I guess I should mention that this was while I was working for legendary well-managed retail chain Radio Shack

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

canyoneer posted:

More than once when I worked retail parents would threaten their children that if they didn't behave, that man (meaning me) is going to hit you.

quote:

SEDARIS: This morning, I worked as an exit elf, telling people in a loud voice: This way out of Santaland.

A woman was standing at one of the cash registers, paying for her pictures while her son lay beneath her, kicking and heaving, having a tantrum. The woman said: Riley, if you don't start behaving yourself, Santa is not going to bring you any of those toys you asked for.

The child said: He is too going to bring me toys, liar. He already told me.

The woman grabbed my arm and said: You there, elf. Tell Riley here that if he doesn't start behaving immediately, then Santa's going to change his mind and bring him coal for Christmas.

I said that Santa changed his policy and no longer traffics in coal. Instead, if you're bad, he comes to your house and steals things. I told Riley that if he didn't behave himself, Santa was going to take away his TV and all his electrical appliances and leave him in the dark.

The woman got a worried look on her face and said: All right. That's enough.

I said, he's going to take your car and your furniture, and all of your towels and blankets and leave you with nothing. The mother said, No, that's enough - really.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SpacePig posted:

The worst possible line of thinking in any sort of retail is "people won't do that". If there's a way to game the system, even in a small way like buying a cart full of cornbread mix, then people will do it. And they'll tell other people to do it. And those other people will do it and tell yet more people to do it, and so on.

I used to "game" the system at Radio Shack, to the benefit of basically everybody but corporate. A quick thing about clearance items: they often drop below the store's cost, AKA the store actually takes a loss selling them; it's just a smaller loss than destroying/scrapping the item altogether.

There was a period of maybe a year give or take where literally any transaction gave you a $10 off next purchase coupon, and for the majority of the time, it was a minimum $10 purchase. Of course, a $9.99 item didn't qualify, but a $9.99 item with a $1.99 service plan did, for example. If you've worked retail, you know how often customers don't want their receipts, and even more common was "I need the receipt but can you just toss the coupon?" So we accumulated a good stack of these. It really helped my employees fix their idiotic metrics and get corporate off their backs. We would straight-up tell customers sometimes what was going on, like "listen, we have extras of this coupon, you're buying $10 headphones, in order to get the coupon to work it has to be above $10, so how about we add on a warranty and you pay a total of $2 for them?"

I also used to use them to clear out clearance stock, since we had assloads of it (corporate was constantly depreciating products for no reason), and it was either "pile it up in the back" or "dedicate an entire section of the floor to a bunch of random poo poo nobody wants." I'd run transactions as close to $10 as possible, use the coupon, and make up the <$.50 difference from spare change. I still have a big box at home stuffed full of various cables/components/headphones/random/little RC toys/other poo poo that I got for basically free. Hell, I remember they clearanced out a line of toddler-aged soft plastic RC cars to $9.97, so I bought them all up, added a $.15 clearanced component to each one, and ended up with a stack of like 15 of them for <$1. I'd give them out when parents would come in with small children and my upstairs neighbors got 1 of each model as Christmas presents for their 2-year-old.

I have to admit that aside from customer interaction, working at Radio Shack was actually kind of fun. Dodging corporate bullshit was almost a game after a while, and once I got good at it I had a ton of leeway in how I ran my store.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

A lifetime of bulbs for the low, low cost of small initial investment and your sense of self-respect as a human being.

I'm not sure how taking advantage of lifetime guarantees counts as a loss of self-respect? Cree has a 10-year warranty on their bulbs, so when one of mine burns out, I bring it back to Home Depot and they give me a new one, I don't need the packaging or the receipt. They either send the bulb back to Cree or they destroy it, whatever Cree told them to do. That's literally how the process is designed to work, so where's the scummy aspect of it?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

waggles posted:

I have a good(bad) story for you guys. This is second-hand from an e-mail that was sent out. I work at a clothing store geared towards older women (40+). At one of our locations, a customer kept the store open until 1:30 am. The store at this location closes at 8 pm. This customer was "going away" and needed clothes. I don't know what time she came in initially, but she bought $1400 worth of merchandise (after coupons).

Now this part is truly disgusting, we have a loyalty card program where every $25 spent, you get a point and when you get 10 points you get a $15 coupon printed that can be used immediately. Guess what this woman did? She split her orders so that not only can use her coupons, but also the $15 coupon that gets printed. Both types can be used together, so in the end she paid $1300 for her merchandise, kept people in the store for an extra 5 hours, and ended up costing that local store money for payroll and utilities. I have a hunch she'll probably return it all too.

I didn't read the e-mail myself, so I'm sure I got some info wrong, but this kind of behavior with coupons does happen.

I'd never do something if it was clearly a massive hassle like that, but I'll admit I've taken advantage of loopholes in the past. The Gamestop PS2 thing I mentioned earlier was a notable one, but it's not like it took the guy any longer to scan cheap sports games than games with actual trade-in values.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ladron posted:

insane radio shack customer stories please

Nothing particularly insane sadly, just a lot of old people buying cordless phones and a few homeless people topping up their burner phones. I just didn't have the patience to deal with senior citizens on a constant basis, and they were like 75% of our customer base.

But it was a 10-minute walk from home, I was blazed off my rear end 99.9% of the time there, and as long as I had associates covering the front, I was more than happy to handle the administrative and organizational aspects. I'm a bit OCD, so it was honestly almost a pleasure to tear down and rebuild an entire section of products, or finally get the backroom well-organized; being stoned as gently caress made the time fly and the work became almost enjoyable. It really helped with sales, too - corporate wanted us to put all the MAKE and Arduino and other robotics/programming hobby stuff hidden in the back corner of the store, but I built a fun little display on a window-facing section and my sales on that poo poo were through the roof compared to other stores in my district.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Munchables posted:

My mom's boyfriend used to work at Frys and he said that on closing shifts, if there was even one department that wasn't finished they woukd keep every employee locked in the store until the last spot was done.

drat that's some Lord of the Flies poo poo, I wonder how many times someone caught a whupping because they slacked off and made the rest of the store stay half an hour extra.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

Rutibex is an amazing poster because he does this super low-level trolling across multiple different subforums to the point where he's kinda famous for it in a few threads but he still manages to fly under the radar enough to get people really angry at him :allears:

he is low-key one of my favorite posters for exactly this reason

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I had a golden goose customer once, she got in my face because I wasn't perky and chipper, but when I told her the reason I was in a bad mood (girlfriend moved out the night before), she apologized, then half an hour later she showed up with a fancy crepe and milkshake from the place next door and told me she felt really lovely for not considering that other people have their own lives going on with all the associated poo poo that can bring :aww:

I know it's stdh.txt as hell but it was an extremely rare beacon in a sea of piss

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Starman Super DX posted:

nbd! at least the derail has almost gotten me my first thread to get up to forty pages :kiddo:

Here's a story that may cause some debate, I wasn't sure if I wanted to share it at first but here we go-

Quarter to closing, two older (mid to late fifties) ladies come in, mostly drunk, etc. They do a number of small annoying things that rub me the wrong way, including one going to the bathroom for ten minutes before slowwwwwwwly making their purchase before closing. Of course I'm giving her (the lady paying, although both of them are annoying the hell out of me) the death stare. She gives me the whole "you should smile more" cliché. As I give her her change, she goes to give me two dollars.
Now I'll point out that I really am hard up for money. Every dollar in my wallet is a big deal to me at the moment, albeit only for a little extra spending money week to week.
Without missing a beat, I refused. She insisted in dismay, and again I said "no, thank you." She says the smile more thing again and leaves.

So I mean yeah, the store policy says I'm not supposed to take tips so for the most part, I don't unless I have some kind of good spirited report with the customer. This is of course after I deny it once and they continue to insist and shove it in my hand.

This, however, was one of the very rare occasions where someone tries to literally buy a smile off of me. I know that might sound ridiculous, but upon handing me her glorious two whole loving dollars I'm supposed to say "wow gee whiz thanks drunk ladies I like you now! Imma buy me a candy bar after work!"
I might take like five bucks. That's lunch at least and to me that's a fairly generous chunk of pocket change and thus a more genuine gesture on her part. But come on, two bucks? I would take two bucks if I just had a simple interaction with a normal, friendly customer who throws it at me and leaves, that's not the same situation. Plus if I took the money and didn't reciprocate in some friendly way you know she would have just complained to someone.

So that's that. Tell me I'm a dumb goon for not taking the two dollars.

drat dude did it kind of sounds like she was giving you a tip because she realized you were in a bad mood, possibly because you were about to close and they took a long time? Yeah the whole "you should smile more" thing is annoying but I think it takes a specific already-determined mindset to look at that interaction and go "they were trying to buy a smile off you" and not just "they were giving you a tip for any number of reasons."

So yes, you're a dumb goon for not taking the two dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've had retention people straight-up trash their competitors to me. It looks unprofessional as gently caress and it always annoys me when a company as big as Verizon is fielding retention people who have no problem telling me AT&T's service sucks, and also that I would have to buy new phones instead of using my off-contract iPhones and unlocked Moto Xs.

• Locked thread