Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Ziv Zulander posted:

What type of gas station lets people refuel before paying?

I know it is from awhile ago but the answer to this is "every single one in Australia".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

The tipping system is incredibly scummy, but it's the system you guys over there are stuck with, and cheating someone who barely earns enough to survive out of their income is reprehensible. The tip is part of the cost of eating out, and if you can't afford it, you can't afford to eat out.

If it bothers you so much move over here to Australia where tipping is what we do when we throw our lose change in the tip jar because we can't be bothered carrying 60c around in our pockets. You'll be paying $90 a head for a 3 course meal though at an entry level fine dining establishment (not including alcohol).

On the upside you'll also get paid a lot more here, too.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Doppelganger posted:

I worked in the stockroom at Macy's long ago and overheard this exchange.

Customer: This is marked 49.99, how can you charge me 52.76?
Saleswoman: The rest is sales tax.
Customer: ....That still don't follow!

This was a middle aged American woman who was just now learning about the concept of sales tax.

To be fair, this mystified me the first time I flew from Australia to America and learned that not every country has requirements for all quoted prices to be tax inclusive.

Also, having prices being quoted tax exclusive is ridiculous. How people accept this as being standard or good practice boggles the mind

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

In fairness, sales tax in the US is set at a state and often even county level. It would be very difficult on a large business to do television advertising and whatnot if they had to have a different quoted price in multiple places a short drive apart. In Australia we have a single nationwide tax so it's easy.

True, but there's nothing stopping them from advertising "$X + taxes" and then just having the actual prices instore (even just having two columns for price inc. and exc. tax, or small print next to items with the inc. price). It's ridiculous to be able to put up a signboard full of prices and every single one of them actually being completely different when it goes through the register. Every time we went through stores the amount things cost was basically a complete lucky dip of "listed price + handful of extra change and pray it's sufficient".

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Sankis posted:

Chains would then need different signage for every state and sometimes city or county.

Maybe for high tourism areas it'd be a good idea but kids in the US are taught about taxes at a such a young age that it's mostly a nonissue.

Which is true, but if chains in the US are doing what they're doing here that'll stop being an excuse soon too (eg. replacing all signage with screens since it's much cheaper and easier for them). The major chains here are all starting to use screens for all their signboards, and it's starting to happen in smaller chains, too.

Eh, it doesn't really matter, I just roll it into the same basket of "things the US just accepts and gets used to that a lot of countries around the world solved decades ago (see healthcare, transport, etc)". Derail over.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't think you understand the scope of what you're suggesting.

Oh I do, this is just fanciful thinking about how youcould replace such a garbage system (that involves so many levels of stupidity and waste). Considering how broken it is (like a lot of American systems) the horse hasn't just bolted, it's already three states across and has been turned into glue. This is nothing but imagining what a good system would actually look like. Or a better one, anyway.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

that was the standard casual rate for a 20+ year old at kmart australia. when i was working 40+ hours with some overnight shifts i was earning like $1200 a week after tax.

once i got told to clean up some spew and the chunks in it didn't get grabbed by the mop so i had to pick them up with a paper towel by hand

i love when companies here are dumb or stubborn enough to keep you on as a casual but have you working a 40 hour weeks constantly because they hate the idea of having permanent staff

i made so much loving money working at dominos and coles as a casual since nobody else stuck around for more than a month or had any idea how to run the places

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

they offered me a part time contract but i declined and they kept giving me the same amount of hours anyway because i was a good worker :madmax:

yeah i did that at coles and they still gave me 40 hour+ weeks because literally nobody else would turn up and open up the deli at 5am and be halfway competent (even though being 18-19 at the time I was usually just getting home from a night out in time to get changed for work)

e: the downside was working for coles which is its own kind of soul-crushing level of horror but idk at least i had cash on hand to forget about it

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

yeah, Coles is one of the 2 big supermarket chains (imo the more lovely one, although that's down to interpretation)

although much as i complain about them they are still lightyears ahead of a lot of american ones considering what they're forced to do by our employment laws, frequently rorted as they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

I had someone pull that on me once. Guy came in wanting some formula 1 game, I forget which, said he'd seen it at the shop across the street for £x and we had it for £x+5 and could we price match. I called the store to confirm their price and they said they hadn't got any in stock, which meant we wouldn't price match. He insisted they had it and it was quiet so I went over there and hunted through all their pc games and couldn't find the thing. I asked someone behind the counter who turned out to be the person I spoke to on the phone and they told me again that they didn't have any. I went back and told the guy and he left in a huff. Twenty minutes later he comes back, waves a copy of the game at me and declares "you just lost a customer!". I can only assume he'd found the copy in the other store, hidden it so no one stole his bargain and then came over to our store to price match and get his loyalty points.

The correct response, from memory, is to shrug and let him leave.

Then you go to back and laugh about him.

• Locked thread