Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

FactsAreUseless posted:

Most people have no idea what books are worth at all. We would get people trying to sell us poo poo at insane prices because "it's rare." Luckily we had a great pricing person, but I'm not shocked the B&N guy doesn't know what he's doing. None of his managers would know enough to know he's doing it wrong.

We also bought and sold vinyl, and if you think people can't price books, records are a million times worse. No, your Beatles record isn't worth anything. Yes, it's a very famous album. That's why it isn't worth anything.

I blame shows like those storage locker auction things where they see a box of books and say "man look at all these old books, I'll value the whole pile at 10-20,000 dollars" without even looking at what they are. My understanding is if a book isn't a first printing and/or very rare+signed it's generally not worth much of anything at all. Same with records - they see one that sells for a few thousand on pawn stars and next thing they do is load up their entire beat up old record collection and have it "appraised" and get pissed when they get offered like 5 bucks for the whole pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread