Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Starman Super DX posted:

And literally any annoying as hell catchphrase old people spout off to you without even considering that you may have heard it approx. five thousand other times before. Ex. "YOU LOOK BORED!"

*item didn't scan the first time*
:haw: :"That means it's free, right?"

*customer call gets routed through a phone menu, which states the store's hours for the day*
:v::"What time do you close today?"

*in a mall store, with a 6 square foot closet off the sales floor*
:v::"Can you check and see if there are any more of these in the back?"

:v::"Do you know if [competitor's store] carries that item you don't have?"
:confused: "I have no idea because this is just a job for me and I've never been there?"

*in a department store with 600 locations nationwide*
:v::"When will this go on sale?"
:confused: "Whenever our corporate overlords decide it will?"

*in a regular store, not a Turkish bazaar*
:v::"What's the best price you can give me on this"
:confused: *scans item* "$19.99 plus tax, like it says on the box."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

One of the weirdest math misunderstandings someone had still puzzles me to this day. It literally took 2 managers and 40 minutes to explain this to a lady who was getting increasingly agitated.

She had bought something for $100 + tax (about 8%, so say $108 after tax). She came back the next day and returned it, and in the same transaction bought something for $75 plus tax, and the difference was refunded to her card. That purchase after tax would be $75 + $6 tax, $81.

The receipt shows -$100 return +$75 purchase, returning $27 to the customer's card.

She was convinced that the store was stealing $6 from her, because she had paid $108 for something that was $100 but now was buying something for $75 and we were only giving her $27 back so WHERE IS THE OTHER $6 MISTER?
:mad:
She absolutely could not conceptualize that it was netting out the subtotal first, and then applying sale tax to the additional refund (or sale) before moving cash. Or that it would be the exact same thing if we had just refunded $108 in cash and then she paid $75 + $6 tax = $81 to buy her thing.

It was so puzzling. I think they literally drew her a picture to explain it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Crappy customers wouldn't be so bad were it not for totally spineless managers that infest every retail environment I ever worked in.

:cool: (me, cool and handsome) : "Hi, I can process your return here"
:devil: (horrible scammer) Hi, I just bought this $50 premium brand mascara in a sealed package, and wouldn't you know, look what came inside!" *holds up opened box with half-used $5 grocery store brand Maybelline mascara inside*
:cool: "We don't sell that brand of mascara here"
:devil: "I know, weirdest thing right? They must be made at the same factory"
:cool: "That would be very surprising, but I cannot return that"
:devil: "I have my receipt."
:cool: "Even if you had gotten the right item in the box (:jerkbag:), I can't return it because it's used. It's unsellable"
:devil: "Let me talk to your manager"
:cool: "OK, I'll go get her"

walk away
minutes later, smug :devil: walks by on her way out of the store and smiles at me without saying anything

:cool: "What happened, manager?"
:saddowns: "I ran the return for her and refunded her card"
:cool: "Why? She was obviously scamming us and we both know it. And now the person who sold that is going to lose the $5 commission off their next check"
:saddowns: "I know, but if she escalated it to the store manager, he'd tell us to run the return anyway in order to make her go away. And then I'd get in trouble. Because if she escalated it above the store manager, the store manager would get in trouble, you see."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

:v: "When are you getting more of these in?"
:cool: "There's no way to know for certain, but typically if we get restocks, they come 4-8 weeks after the first shipment. We got these 2 weeks ago, so it could be 2-6 weeks from now, or possibly never. They don't tell us, and there's no way for us to find out. If you go on our website, they have current inventory of all the stores and will do free shipping to your home or the store if they're available anywhere. That's what I would recommend"
:v: "OK. Should I check back next week?"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

*teenage girl reads life hack online that you can ask for discounts on damaged clothing items*
*during prom season, many dresses spontaneously have a button fall off and land in a customer's hand, or get a small ballpoint pen mark on the fabric in a not visible space*

Retail life hacks are 80% how to scam a store, but 100% of them are "how to annoy the drones working there"

*man walks into store*
:cool: "Hi, welcome to [Store]. Can I help you find anything?"
:mad: "No, I'm just looking"
:cool: "OK"

12 seconds later...

:mad: "Do you sell black, waxed dress shoe shoelaces for 3 hole oxfords?" [or other incredibly specific request]

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I once saw this crunchy mom-type breastfeed a 4 year old while I was working retail.
While she was talking to me and without breaking eye contact, just casually popped a boob out and let the little booger drink his fill. Kid was tall enough to latch while standing up when his mom was sitting down.
It was pretty bizarre.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

Overnight shift at a supermarket when I was 17 is the reason "shoplifter sprinting for door with cart full of unpaid groceries gets clotheslined WWE-style by bored off-duty NYPD cop at 3:30AM" is a personal memory and not a Youtube video I have bookmarked

IIRC the cop was buying something super-mundane like toilet paper on his way home :laugh:

I have a shoplifter getting clotheslined story.

I worked at a department store in a college town.
The store used to have uniformed police pulling overtime doing security and loss prevention at the store, and thus we had pretty much zero incidents for a long time. Recession rolls around and the store starts getting cheap, so out with the real cops and in with the rent-a-cops from a security company. We had this middle-aged, fat biker security guard who wore cowboy boots, and I don't think I ever saw him catch anyone on his own if it came down to a foot chase. The type of people who would make a run for it were always faster than he was. He'd run behind them shouting STOP THIEF really loud and just hope they tripped or something.

One time, he was chasing a dude down the main, broad walkway in the store. A customer shopping there saw what was going on, and gives the runner a push as he was running by. The runner falls hard on the tile floor, and then gets up super mad and pulls a knife from his pocket. This is more than the customer expected, so he backs up and tries to deescalate the situation.
At that moment, a random old lady customer who has been watching the whole thing pulls a gun from her purse, points it at the guy with a knife, and orders him to drop it and to get on the ground. He did so, and allowed the huffing and puffing rent-a-cop to walk him upstairs while they waited for the real cops to show up.

I've heard it said that Arizona is the Florida of the west, and that's a pretty fair comparison :patriot:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Efexeye posted:

also what does that mean, 'no choice but to work in retail'? i handwrote bibles for $6 a page once when no one else was hiring. there is always a choice

do you live in the 13th century?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

*Sir, please don't park your motorcycle against the fire doors.

But if I park in the parking lot, it might get knocked over!

No really, don't park against the fire doors.

But where am I supposed to park it! The parking lot clearly isn't an option, and I'm ok with trapping hundreds of people in a building to reduce the possibility of a scratch!*

*(Customer insists his membership card is a credit card (it isn't), demands we run it over and over again and refuses to provide a real form of payment, escalates to management.)

*Customer is directed to a different part of the store by a female coworker who points to show where he should go, pointing by a female is apparently the worst possible insult in his culture and he tries to have her fired.

*Customer pulls past closed signs into gas station after hours as we are cleaning up. "Well aren't you going to unlock the pumps and turn the turbines back on so I can save a nickel on gas?!"

This is Costco.

Horrible customers ruined Costco's generous return policy by abusing it to get a free upgrade to their TV every year. Thanks a lot, jerks :mad:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Had a guy ask me in 2008 if we sold Coach shoes for men.
I told him they had been discontinued by the manufacturer two years ago, and we clearanced them out over a year ago.
He said, nuh-uh, they still make them and he saw them for sale in Vegas at Caesar's Palace. I asked him when that was.
He said "A couple years ago" :downs:

I guess they make them for men again nearly 10 years later

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Starman Super DX posted:

Someone inquired about "a device that pumps the air out of soda bottles" I don't even.
:psyboom:

Is that a sex thing? I bet it is a sex thing

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I know a guy who owns a bunch of gas stations.
This is a funny, oblivious customer story.

Gas was at about $2.50/gallon. and whoever was setting gas prices for the day keyed in an error so it was ringing up at $8.75/gallon. It was on the electric marquee even. About 20 minutes later, a customer comes in and says that he thinks the gas prices are off. Yep, whoops, of course they are, let's fix them so you can buy your gas and be on your way.

They checked the sales logs (and then cameras), and saw that someone had gone to a self service pump during that 20 minutes and was completely oblivious to the cost. She was driving in some luxury convertible, and appeared to be rich enough not to care about whether it cost $30 or $130 to fill up on gas. Just filled up on her nearly $9/gallon gas and drove off on her merry way. :homebrew:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

I worked at Blockbuster Video for about a year or so while I was in high school.

I used to give away those free rentals things to people as tips / currency as I made no money. A nice tow truck dude? "Here, have like 15 free rentals." I'm not sure why they left those next to the register. You know, the ones that said something akin to "sorry we didn't have movie you wanted in, the next is free!"

Also, sleeping on the job was pretty funny. Overworked for a high schooler I would routinely work past 10pm which was illegal here, iirc. When I asked the manager to cut my hours back because I wasn't sleeping enough, she said "That's why you were hired." My response: "I'm 16 and I'm not supposed to work past 10 so.." *shrug* didn't have to work late any more.

I supposed the best part was figuring out how to never pay late fees again since if a movie was found on the shelf, it was considered BB's fault and it would be instantly zeroed out. All you had to do was sneak the rental back in and put it on the shelf.

I wonder what ever happened to Blockbuster anyway...

http://www.theonion.com/video/historic-blockbuster-store-offers-glimpse-of-how-m-14233

It's in the past now

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

lose some weight, your knees and feet won't hurt just from standing. Exercise some too, couldn't hurt.

The difference between someone who is in-shape and someone who is out of shape is that an out of shape person's feet and legs are killing them after 2 or 3 hours, whereas an in-shape person is feeling it at the 7th hour of standing and walking around a concrete floor all day.

No matter what, it gets you.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

berth ell pup posted:

ikd i read it like dennis in always sunny babbling about dumdums.

never in my entire life, in travelling all over the eastern United States from huge cities to small towns. I have never seen gas that was a dollar more than anywhere else, not even in the densest, expensive downtown areas. Maybe up to 30 or 40 cents more than a "good" price for unleaded but never anything approaching $1. Basically I don't believe you

Hey look what took me 30 seconds to find

I mean, 84 cents isn't a dollar but y'know.

Here's nearly a dollar by the Portland Airport.

And an infamous Shell station near Disney World

You should pay more attention when travelling all over the United States to gas prices if you want to win GBS arguments.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Zil posted:

And for some reason an anonymous complaint led CPS to her house right? Sigh, one can dream.

Got yelled at by a parent because I asked their little angel to stop climbing into and up the steel racks at lowes. Never mind that someone was using power equipment in the next aisle over and could have knocked something off and crush the kid, I was in the wrong for not respecting his desire to explore. :jerkbag:

I saw an employee at Ikea scream at these completely inattentive parents because their kids were climbing all over the warehouse and jumping between stacks of boxes. The mom was super embarrassed and the dad didn't care at all.

It was pretty funny

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

When I worked at McDonalds in high school there was this big fat lady that came through the drive thru in the middle of busy lunch rush on a saturday and ordered 4 salads with grilled chicken. Nobody orders the grilled chicken because it's gross, so we never have more than 1 or 2 made. So we told her it would be 9 minutes while it cooks, and she would need to pull through to the parking lot in a waiting space and we'd bring it out in 9 minutes. She said no way, that every time she does that the people forget about her and she has to wait longer!
Part of working a lousy food service job is having spineless managers and they wouldn't make her move or just refund her and send her packing, so there she sat with a line of 8 cars trapped in the drive thru behind her.

I remember the car directly behind her had ordered just a large diet coke, nothing else. Just wanted to quickly breeze through a drive thru and get a soda, thanks a lot lady :mad:. I remember the guy was cool about it when we explained what was going on, but man, that's got to be disappointing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Oh I forgot I make a dad joke every time at the express checkout lane.
"The sign says 'about 15 items', but I only have 11 items. Is that ok?"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Still lolling at the retail goons defending the stupid practice of carding someone clearly over 30. Never wonder why you have barely any autonomy or decision making in your roles.

Huh? All I'm getting from it is "it's a stupid rule, but it wasn't my idea and I have to do it or else I get fired?"

Doing pointless stuff to make your bosses happy is not limited to retail.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Maybe the customer correctly observed that it was 10 minutes before the store closed which means the store was not closed and was open for business.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Retail digs aside; you know we live in a tipping culture, so please don't go out without the money to do so. It's dick. At some places you aren't merely purchasing a product but also tacitly agreeing to purchasing the service that goes with it as well.

Places exist that offer the product you want without the requisite tipping. Go there.

:agreed:
It's a dumb custom that I hate, so I avoid places where one is supposed to tip.
There's been a trend in recent years of adding a tip field or a tip jar to places you shouldn't expect it.
Drive thru burrito place? tip field on credit card receipt.
Pick-up order at pizza place without a dining room? tip field on credit card receipt
Counter service restaurant where you bus your own table? tip field on credit card receipt

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

the tip field thing is determined by the company that makes the POS system hth

Do those POS systems also dictate they have a ratty cup with "TIPS" written on them with a sharpie at the register? (the three places I was thinking about also have those)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

spite house posted:

The real purpose of tipping culture is brilliantly illustrated by how people who don't tip or don't want to are unable to express this sentiment without also sneering theatrically at tipped workers in general. It's strictly a power game and serves to establish and reinforce class distinctions in a society that claims not to have any.

Tipping custom is stupid because it offloads the responsibility to pay someone's wages to the customer, who has way less information about the situation than the business owner does and it's enforced through social pressure.

Here's a collection of reasons why tipping is a stupid custom and should go away, and it would be better for the employees and the customers. The only people who really win with tipping in restaurants are the employers (string them all up)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/17/abolish-tipping_n_5991796.html

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Barudak posted:

Creepy men who want to force the waitress to flirt with them also win.

https://twitter.com/BeerCellarExe/status/867683766042546177

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Speaking of titsweat cash, when I delivered sandwiches there was a strip club called The Candy Store that would order all the time.
They'd pay with lengthwise folded, damp dollars. Tips were above average, but I still hated going there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

I always do this too, I dunno really why maybe just on the offchance someone nicks it or something before the waitress/waiter has a chance to pick it up themselves.

See I do that for almost the same reason, but then I don't leave cash. I like to see the servers accuse each other and the bussers of stealing from them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The Walrus posted:

I am skinny and attractive and work in retail head office. I've worked food service for years. Not sure why that has anything to do with anything but you were'n't making 12 sandwiches a minute! how many toasters did you have? isn't it at least like 30 seconds in the toaster? That means even with 12 people working (which quiznos never have), you have only 30 seconds per person per sandwich to take the order, make the sandwich, and take payment. and thats assuming you have 12 toasters, which again there's no way you had!

I was mostly just messing with you but your extreme defensiveness indicates you have something to hide. my time working with lp as an assistant store manager has given me this kind of intuition.

The Quizno's toasters are on a conveyor belt, skinny and attractive guy.

And you might be unaware of this, but Quizno's also sells non-sandwich food items at the same time as sandwich food items!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Subtract 100% and never come back if the owner's bare-assed child is on your table

https://www.eater.com/2017/7/6/15930870/imagine-vegan-cafe-naked-babies-memphis

https://twitter.com/melip0ne/status/883010969986895873

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It's worth asking, sure, especially in places where it seems likely.

The annoying part is when you tell the customer "no" and instead of dropping it, they interpret that as you participating in a negotiation and that they should continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

More than once when I worked retail parents would threaten their children that if they didn't behave, that man (meaning me) is going to hit you.

• Locked thread