Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

My boss tells me to go into the bathroom to initial that the bathroom has been inspected at every time it's supposed to be, So there I am making up initials for every day when I hear a little kid's voice from the stall.

"Who's out there?"

"Just some guy."

"...don't kidnap me!"

"Ok."

"PLEASE don't kidnap me."

"...are your parents rich?"

"...no."

"Well never mind then."

"Thank you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

Job is to use a register designed to be idiot proof to check out items and be polite to customer in an air conditioned retail setting.

Fails somehow.

Lord how I wish pin pads were idiot proof, ours were really poorly designed and we had to attach labels to them to explain what the options really mean. It's not so bad if you're using a credit card, but if you use debit it gets tricky fast.

Debit card with swipe.

You can swipe your card at any time during the transaction and it will let you ask for cash back, but if you do it before I hit the debit button on my register it's run it as credit and you won't get any cash back.

Debit card with chip.

It will display two debit options, visa/master card/whatever your card is debit and us debit/debit if you pick your card type debit, it runs it as credit.

If you manage to get to the cash back screen, it'll give two choices, OK and CANCEL. OK means yes, CANCEL is no, so people who don't want cash back often hit OK panic, pull their card instead of asking for 0 back. Or if they do want cash back, hit the dollar amount then hit zero and make it ten times as much since it automatically goes to the nearest dollar, panic and pull their cards without hitting the back button. Then they'll get to the final stage, punch in their pin and yank out their card before getting the remove card message.

Oh and the area the CANCEL button is turns into a button that'll cancel the transaction and if you leave your finger near it you can really accidentally trigger it.

Starman Super DX posted:

Please please please tell me that this actually happened. I gave that a very robust lol

It really happened. :)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Efexeye posted:

yo man maybe retail isn't the best career for you to be pursuing

I'm working retail until I get into grad school, I can't imagine doing this as a career even with all the government benefits I get.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I lost my voice for a few days on the job once, I had a note to show the customers that said "credit or debit?" and on the reverse side, "Bottom debit is the real debit." I rather enjoyed the experience other than people asking me why I wasn't speaking and not understanding when I pointed to my throat, "Can't you just TELL me why you're not speaking?" Eventually I got a handful of cough drops and would pull those out instead.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's not just retail, I think it happens in all types of customer service. A friend of mine works in a library and he recently went interstate and visited another library and people started asking him reference questions.

A female friend of mine was walking home from the supermarket carrying several shopping bags and just happened to pass through a red light district and a curb crawler asked what her prices were. :v:

Well, you know, sometimes your girlfriend won't give you a celery job.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

When I was working in a grocery store in Alaska with a week left to go I had a customer do the, "If it doesn't scan the first time it's free!" joke.

"Actually I have to charge you 20 dollars."

*customer looks aghast.

"Yeah, I hate that policy, but what are you going to do?"

"I can't believe-"

"Just kidding!"

For some baffling reason they didn't find that joke very funny. :iiam:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

what race was the female in the minivan

Inuit.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

nm posted:

This year, copper river salmon costs resturants $50/lb so retail's going to be more.
It only applies to salmon from one particular area. Honestly, it is a good product, but not worth the extra.

Admittedly, our local fishmonger has sourced some really good farmed salmon from BC for <$10 and that is basically all I eat at this point. The wild markup isn't quite worth it.

The prices are high, but not THAT high. http://www.thecordovatimes.com/2017/06/02/copper-river-salmon-sales-hot/

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

nm posted:

Note the early season prices they quote. That is when they were selling if for $75 at pikes place per that very article.

I was talking about 50 dollars a pound at restaurants and retail being higher. Pike's Place you're paying for the experience.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Grem posted:

Who do I have to kill to get loyalty cards to stop being a thing?

I had to offer customers a rewards card that didn't have any actual rewards, you have to go online and manually fill it with coupons after you register it and you have to keep on doing that in order to use it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm working at a commissary this summer and I have to card/scan everyone's ID, including people in uniform. The only ones who ever object to it are boomers, WWII/Korean vets have all been chill as hell so far.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was working at a gym about ten years ago, there was a special sale for 15 dollar a month memberships, someone tried to haggle it down.

"Sir I can't change the price for you."

"Everything is negotiable."

"Ok, 20 bucks a month."

"Hey that's higher I'm not gonna pay that!"

"Everything is negotiable and 25 bucks a month."

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rutibex posted:

you dont need a job in alaska, just trap fur animals :rolleyes:

I knew someone who did that, eventually though they got a girlfriend and moved to a city and got a job installing security systems. They got on the job training for it too!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm working at a commissary and sometimes I have to inform people that as a federal employee I can't accept coupons that expired during a previous presidential administration. :kiddo:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I had a customer point across the store at our bulk bags and ask me to get her a bag of dog food from "the end over there" while pointing at the bags of salt. "I have no idea what brand you want, you'd have to be a lot more specific and I can't leave the self checkout area ma'am."

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Navin Johnson posted:

In Oregon, sales tax is constuitionally verboten. Therefore, all prices advertised are accurate. Also, gently caress Oregon.

Aw, but my parents grow weed there. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

If you don't like it in the greatest state in the union you can get the gently caress out.

I think there are many people who like Alaska but don't live there.

• Locked thread