Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's Slime Rancher!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAfP-JCjrmc

Slime Rancher is an extremely charming first-person farm management game with a twist, you wrangle slimes! You go out, hoover up some hungry wild slimes, take 'em to your ranch, feed them the tasty foods they love and then sell their poops for big bucks! There are all sorts of different slimes with different tastes and a big ol' world with a bunch of areas to poke around in, plus a ton of slime science to do once you've established your happy slime ranch. It just got a new update with a brand new biome opening up and some interesting new slimes to make friends with too.

It's currently in Early Access on Steam and whatever the Xbox equivalent is and it's scheduled to reach full release on August 1st.

The dev's twitter is very active with behind-the-scenes gifs and fanart

https://twitter.com/UgWubwubmaster/status/851121103284166657
https://twitter.com/UgWubwubmaster/status/851450980394729476

Knorth fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I live, I slime, I live again.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Release date is set for August 1st :toot:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Cute fun good game that I love a lot.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Got this in the Steam sale, it's adorable.

What's a good use of my time in the mid-game? I've opened up the iridium quarry and picked up a couple of new slimes there, and have them hanging about in my ranch, but I find I'm spending a lot of my time just feeding them - especially the meat-eaters - and I'm loath to go explore the far reaches in case my slimes get hungry and start escaping.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
If you're looking to make feeding time a bit easier you can always turn the meat eaters into largos with one of the fruit/veg slime types. Or pink slimes I guess but you can't get that sweet sweet favourite food money then. Largos aren't too hard to keep in a corral if you've got high walls and netting, although I've had some boom rock slimes blast their plorts halfway across my ranch sometimes... The overgrowth (I think that's the name) ranch expansion is a good source of chickens too if you haven't opened that yet.

There's definitely a point after opening up a new area or two where you can have a pretty self-sufficient and stable farm and just pump out some good plorts for awhile. I tend to lean into this and just focus on making that moolah, filling the autofeeders and feeding those greedy gordos :3: 'cause slime science-ing can be pretty demanding once you start that.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/monomipark/status/878345152812556288

:3: That honey slime~

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It seems a little slimy to be selling merch before your game is formally released.

But then, they are very cute.

Got stuck behind a gordo and had to do an emergency reset, dangit. I'd gathered like ten odd onions too. And then all my slimes are hungry and half of my farm plots have run out, with the veggie I'd set aside to restock them gone rotten...
Farm plots could use some improvement, I think. Often they tell me something is growing after their last harvest, then I later find that they've reset without growing a new crop and I didn't keep a spare aside to re-plant. It just gets to the point that I'm leaving an oca oca or what have you sitting on the ground by the plot just in case this harvest was the last, which is just a frustrating little action tax that it doesn't really need. Perhaps there should be an upgrade that lets farm plots keep producing until you tell them to stop, because that's usually what happens anyway.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
On one hand I like not being able to just grow things in perpetuity, gotta be a responsible slime rancher and be prepared for crop rotation, but yeah I've had that bug a couple times too and it can be annoying. I thought it was happening more when I was pulling vegetables out of the ground myself instead of letting them be violently expelled from the earth upon completion as nature intended, if that helps at all.

Getting stuck like that sucks though, rip your onions... they're in a better, slimier place now

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Tenebrais posted:

It seems a little slimy to be selling merch before your game is formally released.

Of course it is Slimy. It is Slime Rancher. :colbert:

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

This is one of the cutest games I've played but I wish the ranch had more automation to it. There are times where I played this for an hour and felt like I just made a endless loop of feeding slimes, converting plorts, setting up drills, collecting drill resources, etc. One random thing that bothers me about it is that I'm playing on pc with an xboxone pad and the dpad has a huge deadzone in menus and it's really annoying.

I usually don't go for "resouce" games but the visual style made me give this a try and I'm happy I did. I've played about 20 hours of it a couple of months ago and look forward to getting back to it in when it's finished.

those plushies are cute as gently caress

Sivek fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 28, 2017

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

double post

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I would at least like it if the food production plots were as automated as the corrals. Just have them suck up the dropped fruits/veggies (maybe even chickens over a certain amount?), it'd be much more convenient.
Except for phase lemons, but then they're deliberately awkward.

I wish there was a bit more room for storage. Maybe just some slime-science chests or something that you could store a couple of goods in. I'd like to have spares of everything on hand where they're not just going to rot sitting by the relevant plot.

A couple more plots would be nice too - as it is there's exactly enough for one corral of every slime type and a plot for each of their favourite foods. Although puddle slimes can live in the spring at the docks and there's no point keeping pink slimes with so many outside your front gate, so there's a little bit of flex there. It'd still be nice to have more space, if only somewhere tucked away.

But then, maybe these limitations are the challenge of the game. Got to make the best use of some fairly limited competing space.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
There is always the option for silos where you can store all sorts of stuff indefinitely but they do take up a plot

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

What are some tips for someone new to playing the game? The summer sale reminded me I bought it ages ago, so I opened it up and was immediately overwhelmed. What causes those tars to appear? Am I expected to grab up all the pink slimes and put them in cages? They just break free by climbing out. How does feeding work? Is it one carrot :one slime? There's so much happening and it's a really cute game but I was just very overwhelmed until a bunch of tars spawned on the farm and then in my attempts to shoot them into the water I too fell in the water and died and the game bugged out trying to save.

Help I'm not very good at this game but I really like the aesthetics.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Okay, don't panic, you don't have to grab every slime you see. Just hoover up a couple and start with them, it'll take some feeling out to find the right amount you can have in a pen before they start bouncing over the walls but just grab 'em and toss 'em back into the wilderness or the sea. There's plenty more where they came from. You can also upgrade your pens to have higher walls so even clever slimes stacking up on each other can't get into your chickens. Feeding one carrot to one slime gets one plort but it's pretty easygoing regarding when they get hungry and even if you're a bit late the most that happens is they try a bit harder to get out of their corrals. Take a look at their cute little faces, if they look hungry then it's definitely feeding time.

The tars happen when a largo (made when a slime eats a different type of slime's plort) eats a plort of a different slime than the kinds it is, it's why keeping the varieties separate is important until you're prepared to experiment with largos. Largos can be very cute, pretty much anything mixed with a honey slime is adorable, but they can be tricky and mistakes will happen. But not to worry! You're living on a post-slime-scarcity planet, if you looked hard enough there would probably be tiny smiling slimes in the air even, so take it easy and maybe start small, you've got plenty of time :)

Knorth fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 5, 2017

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Knorth posted:

Okay, don't panic, you don't have to grab every slime you see. Just hoover up a couple and start with them, it'll take some feeling out to find the right amount you can have in a pen before they start bouncing over the walls but just grab 'em and toss 'em back into the wilderness or the sea. There's plenty more where they came from. You can also upgrade your pens to have higher walls so even clever slimes stacking up on each other can't get into your chickens. Feeding one carrot to one slime gets one plort but it's pretty easygoing regarding when they get hungry and even if you're a bit late the most that happens is they try a bit harder to get out of their corrals. Take a look at their cute little faces, if they look hungry then it's definitely feeding time.

The tars happen when a largo (made when a slime eats a different type of slime's plort) eats a plort of a different slime than the kinds it is, it's why keeping the varieties separate is important until you're prepared to experiment with largos. Largos can be very cute, pretty much anything mixed with a honey slime is adorable, but they can be tricky and mistakes will happen. But not to worry! You're living on a post-slime-scarcity planet, if you looked hard enough there would probably be tiny smiling slimes in the air even, so take it easy and maybe start small, you've got plenty of time :)

Thanks so much!! I'm gonna give it a fresh start tonight~

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

things were definitely overwhelming when i first started out today, but the fact that there's no rush to do things or fail state even helps me keep things going. stuff can start going wrong pretty quickly if you're not managing resources well but the worst case scenario is that you just have to get rid of a corral full of messed-up slimes and just go grab some more. looking forward to when i unlock more zones than the overgrowth, which was definitely a good first purchase to get a good source of chicken.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Yeah the crop plots could really use an autoharvest upgrade and maybe an indicator of how many harvests you've got left before you have to replant.

Also should I be trying to "breed" Largo slimes? Discounting of the Tar risk is there any huge advantage to them outside of a wider diet than base slimes?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

Yeah the crop plots could really use an autoharvest upgrade and maybe an indicator of how many harvests you've got left before you have to replant.

Also should I be trying to "breed" Largo slimes? Discounting of the Tar risk is there any huge advantage to them outside of a wider diet than base slimes?

If you give them their favorite food, which is either of the base slimes favorite, they'll give you double plorts, so you can get four plorts per feeding. There are also cute combos and that's most important.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
So is there any reason you should deal with the more gimmick favorites? Other than combining high value dooders to save space? Like it seems just as easy to mix with phosphos or something and feed cuberries for hunter plorts.

Edit: this game is so dangerous, my Gf and I lost like 9 hours day one.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Makaris posted:

So is there any reason you should deal with the more gimmick favorites? Other than combining high value dooders to save space? Like it seems just as easy to mix with phosphos or something and feed cuberries for hunter plorts.

Edit: this game is so dangerous, my Gf and I lost like 9 hours day one.

The Slime Science stuff requires a wide range of plorts to unlock all the stuff.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks again for the advice. This go around has been going way smoother. I love the phosphor dudes, it's a shame they evaporate in the sun. I've got them in the little caves right now.

My biggest problem right now is running into a teleporter and then not having any idea where I am. It's a good problem to have, but I get turned around a bit easy sometimes.

I love the puddle guys too, but they're a lot of work. Why are all my favourites special snowflakes?

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Sivek posted:

The Slime Science stuff requires a wide range of plorts to unlock all the stuff.

I meant more like, you can take a slime that would ordinarily be very picky with its favorite (Roostros and Hunter Slimes, for instance) and largo them up with something much easier to satisfy, like a rock slime. That way you get plenty of the rarer plorts while keeping your food source easy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

has there been any word on if they're going to add any big content to the game when it's fully released on august 1st?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Johnny Joestar posted:

has there been any word on if they're going to add any big content to the game when it's fully released on august 1st?

The v0.6.0 update included this news from the developer:

quote:

This is the last major Slime Rancher update before v1.0.0, which will mark the end of Early Access on PC and Game Preview on Xbox. Slime Rancher v1.0.0 will be a much smaller update, focusing on fixes, concluding Adventure Mode, and a couple other surprises.

But that’s not the end of your adventures on the Far, Far Range! Following v1.0.0 we’ll be continuing to update Slime Rancher with new, unexpected content.

So it sounds like, no, v1.0 isn't going to include a wealth of new content, but that there may still be new material post-release. Guess we will wait and see!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sounds good enough for me! the glass desert comes off like a handful from what i've heard of it, and seeing 1 or 2 more big zones added would be awesome. i know a few people already who were waiting to buy the game until it came out in 1.0 so i hope the devs get a good bit of sales going.

it's nice to have another game that's just outright relaxing but still offers a challenge of sorts, like stardew valley.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's an under construction sign at the back of the glass desert, so I presume they're going to add something there before release, even if it's just another oasis or a little structure with a sense of finality to signal that you've done all the exploring. I wouldn't expect anything big, though.

I hope they do manage to add more zones/slimes after release, because I love all of the content in this game. I hope if there's more slimes they add more ranch plots, though, since what's there already is exactly enough for everything without using largos.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/monomipark/status/892424859795415042

Woo! :toot:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bea is super cute!

Also, the soundtrack is now available to buy, which I'm pretty keen on as this game has some really nice tunes.

The roadmap for future post-release updates looks exciting too.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 1, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The game is one of this month's Games With Gold games if you own an XBone.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Playing the demo of this; is there any way to tell the game to isolate my sucker-thing to one type? Like, I'm finding it a bit ponderous to hoover up the slime poop to sell when my vacuum sucks up the poop, slimes, and any food that happens to be there.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I enjoy to do drugs and grow slimes in tanks. It is relaxing. This is lovely!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i buy the pens for the slimes but they all just jump out or fly away

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Playing the demo of this; is there any way to tell the game to isolate my sucker-thing to one type? Like, I'm finding it a bit ponderous to hoover up the slime poop to sell when my vacuum sucks up the poop, slimes, and any food that happens to be there.

No, though once all four slots have something in them anything different will just bounce off. I find it easiest to just suck up everything and spit back out whatever I don't want.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

For this problem in particular, you can get a pen upgrade that regularly sucks up and stores plorts, which you can then remove whenever you feel like, at least. That's one of the "must buy" upgrades for each pen I feel; it's such a nice quality-of-life upgrade.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Roland Jones posted:

For this problem in particular, you can get a pen upgrade that regularly sucks up and stores plorts, which you can then remove whenever you feel like, at least. That's one of the "must buy" upgrades for each pen I feel; it's such a nice quality-of-life upgrade.

This is especially true for those rock slimes that damage you on contact. Maybe don't get into a box with those. Game's sweet, by the way! If you have Xbox Gold, it's free on that right now.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/ElectroCandii/status/893381972365459456

:3: I would like a parfait, they look pretty tasty

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
It's my girlfriend's turn on the Xbox. I miss my slimes.

Water slimes are great! Just give em their own corner and let them do their thing. I've got six Phosphor slimes in a corral loaded with Cuberries pumping straight into a silo so I can bomb the market later. What's a third low-maintenance slime I can work on? Preferably a vegetarian who will eat some of my four crops of Cuberries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Honey Slimes are extremely adorable and also love fruit (it helps them stay so sweet :3:)

• Locked thread