Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I may or may not be a monster, but this was my primary compulsion once I unlocked The Lab:

I have quantum/honey largos in the main ranch near my pond, and lone dervishes near them as I decide how to deal with the not-even amount of slime species and what to double up on for their largo (maybe more pink since they're the base currency for all crafts)

Crafting in general seems like a bunk deal, not sure what the value outside of "micromanaging the ranch easier" is since it's far quicker to just go and beat the game than it is to deal with the outrageously short cycle of resource generators. Permanent gardens were the best thing to happen to this game and I can't imagine trying to keep more than a couple dozen slimes without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A new update has struck! Now you can go to the Wilds, home to feral descendants of the extinct Sabre Slimes. Help out Ogden by collecting fruit there, and he'll reward you with ranch upgrades!

The Wilds are interesting. You can only get to them by teleporter, which takes you to one of several entrances at random. They won't take you back either - you have to find a home teleporter. That combined with a lack of gadget spaces makes every visit to the Wilds an expedition.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ooh I've seen a couple gifs of the new stuff and looking forward to jumping back in when I have time in a few weeks

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

The Wilds are interesting. You can only get to them by teleporter, which takes you to one of several entrances at random. They won't take you back either - you have to find a home teleporter. That combined with a lack of gadget spaces makes every visit to the Wilds an expedition annoyance.

Fixed. Also, whichever home teleporter is active is random, and they couldn't be bothered to draw a map for the zone. I don't see myself coming back there, since there's nothing worth the effort.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Fixed. Also, whichever home teleporter is active is random, and they couldn't be bothered to draw a map for the zone. I don't see myself coming back there, since there's nothing worth the effort.

No, there's three active home teleporters and they're always the same. One by the sea, one in the caves, and one on a cliff. The other (four?) teleport pads are inbound-only.

kertap
Mar 13, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

A new update has struck! Now you can go to the Wilds, home to feral descendants of the extinct Sabre Slimes. Help out Ogden by collecting fruit there, and he'll reward you with ranch upgrades!

The Wilds are interesting. You can only get to them by teleporter, which takes you to one of several entrances at random. They won't take you back either - you have to find a home teleporter. That combined with a lack of gadget spaces makes every visit to the Wilds an expedition.

I play this with my son and he really want's to unlock the rest of Ogden's ranch so I've been making loads of trips into the wild. It's not that big a place really and once you figure out where the exits are it's not that bad a place. I've been going in with about half a tank of chickens. Between those and the ones you pick up while in the wilds it works out to be a pretty safe place.

I did find a river that ends in a waterfall that you can walk along. It's a good place to refill your water. If you follow it river upstream it opens in to a cave and there's a ton of berries in there inside the mud balls.

The first garden upgrade you get seems like it's going to be well worth all that work because it stops food in the garden from rotting. I just unlocked that yesterday so I can't wait to see how well that works.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Got kind of tired of shoving my poor lardos in pens, so I've decided to turn some areas into free-range Slime Territory. There's about a dozen Tangle-Dervish lardoes spinning around and munching on chickens in the Overgrowth., and soon there'll be a dozen or so Mosaic-Crystal blobs hopping around the Grotto. They won't generate much money, it frees up lots of space for farming and damnit it just makes me happier to see some of them not stuffed into cages.

I wish the game had some kind of benefit system to having free-range Slimes, like, they would fertilizer the soil or some could be trained to fight against TARRs or something. Maybe a way to 'neuter' slimes so that they wouldn't turn into TARRs by eating new plorts so you could let them roam around.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 1, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

McKilligan posted:

I wish the game had some kind of benefit system to having free-range Slimes, like, they would fertilizer the soil or some could be trained to fight against TARRs or something. Maybe a way to 'neuter' slimes so that they wouldn't turn into TARRs by eating new plorts so you could let them roam around.

Well, there's Casual mode now, which doesn't have tarrs, so you're free to have whatever mix of slimes you like wandering around free range.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Do they still consume every plort they can find that's a different colour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Damnit Ogden, 345 loving fruits to unlock your ranch is some grindy bullshit in a game that had a pretty fun gameplay loop up until then.

• Locked thread