Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Bluedeanie posted:

Irish and Irish American fans tend to tune into big boxing matches anyway, does McGregor even bring a ton of eyes into this?

yes

This is so dumb. But I'm gonna watch it anyways, so I guess I'm also dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This is going to be an insanely fun and entertaining fight no matter what the outcome. When two huge egos clash something very fuckin funny is bound to happen and we all win.

The media circus is gonna be way more fun than the actual fight but maybe the buildup will make it worth it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I honestly don't think Conor will ever fight in the UFC again after having a taste of this kind of money/publicity. How much more money is he going to make from this than a UFC bout? 3x? 5x? More? I wouldn't be surprised. I think the jump in pay is gonna be so much that he's not going to be willing to come back to the UFC when all is said and done.

I can't fault him for wanting to get paid, but there's a million MMA fights I'd love to see the guy in so it kinda sucks imagining that this might be it. Although riding off into the sunset after getting an absurd payday for a vanity fight is probably the most McGregor thing he could do, so I guess it suits him.

Maybe if spends his money like crazy we'll get a comeback fight from him in a few years.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

chaleski posted:

The fight will be so lopsided that not even an Adelaid Byrd or Sensei Cecil Peoples could gently caress it up

One of my favourite things about lurking the boxing threads sometimes is how it turns out that all the judges that we complain about in MMA threads are just as hated in boxing threads, if not more so cause they have more rounds to gently caress up.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Skip My Posts posted:

i read somewhere floyd was worried conor would do something crazy and get disqualified so they wrote something into the contract that severely punishes him if that happens

Speaking of *crazy* things Conor may or may not do, my hot take is that I'm honestly kinda surprised that we've managed to almost make it through June without Conor saying anything racist yet.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I'm wondering if they have some agreement on how the fight can be promoted/a timeline of when they're releasing statements, etc. etc., because back when Conor was prepping for UFC fights it usually like he was belligerently calling out his opponent every time he had a microphone in his face and I'm not really getting those vibes in the leadup of this fight so far.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Gay Horney posted:

Conor has a bunch of Instagram pics he posted over the lasd couple of days and his hands are down in a lot of em.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0Kx1RAw3m/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0J_pAg755/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0J2K8AYF7/

It's not that unusual for him in that he likes keeping his hands super low in MMA. Sometimes he gets hit, but he mostly gets away with it by having dumb long reach and using a long Karate/Tae Kwon Do stance to be even further away. But for a boxing match it's almost certainly a horrible idea.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jack B Nimble posted:

So here's an actual question ; before big fights I like learn about how each fighter would win, and what it would look like when they're winning. You know, general strategies to watch for, things that should sound an alarm bell that you're seeing a fight work out as one fighter wanted.

Like for example, I think the earlier rounds are the most important for McGregor; his best bet will be to blitz Mayweather in the first round or two, hit him with something unusual and then follow it up with a hard finisher. So maybe look for McGregor to land an awkward but surprising punch and then follow it up with an entirely unrestrained flurry; likewise look for Mayweather to suddenly look old fighting a man 12 year younger. Be particularly worried if fast undercard KOs send them into the ring cold.

Now more likely, look for Mayweather to be very cautious at the beginning, stay well away from McGregor and avoiding trading punches. As the rounds go on and McGregor tires and his punches get sloppier and more predictable, look for Mayweather to counter punch.

What are some other possibilities? Neither fighter is eager to throw because they're both counter punchers? McGregor moving forward into closer range but not actually punching (I believe Mayweather has shown he's not at his best against that strategy)?

I think that trying to analyze strategies for freak show fights is a dumb waste of time. I mean I guess you can do it if you're into it, but I'm not super into it because it means I have to think of this as a legitimate sporting event instead of a machine to print money. We can sit back and write fan fiction about what Conor's best strategies are but it's all ultimately moot because he's just not a loving boxer.

I'm gonna sit back, have some beers and enjoy whatever dumb poo poo happens. Floyd's probably going to dance around, slip all his punches, and then punch Conor in the face until he falls over, and if anything else happens it's gravy.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 6, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

tesilential posted:

Outside of Olympic boxing, combat sports are not legitimate sport. It's sports entertainment, every single fight event is attempting to print money.

Well yeah sure but those at least usually feature athletes from the same sport competing against each other.

Let's make Khabib fight the bear from his childhood in an adult rematch and see what happens, it'll probably sell better than him vs. Ferguson.

I mean I'm still gonna watch it so I guess I'm the sucker and their plan worked, but I'm not that interested in overthinking it beyond "the guy who does the sport is probably gonna beat the poo poo out of the guy who doesn't do the sport".

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Man like a month ago I was posting "I'm surprised Conor hasn't said anything racist yet" and I guess he was just saving it for the official press tour.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Floyd has the magic ability to get people to watch his fights despite them mostly being boring technical slogs. It's like some form of Money Mayweather Hypnosis where he convinces millions of people to buy his fights, and then after every one there's a grumbling outcry from casuals about how boring it was and everyone acts all surprised about it and goes "this is why no one cares about boxing" etc etc. And then they all line up again to do it next year when he does it again.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Work Friend Keven posted:

If only he was here, he could studiously ignore the racism talk right up till Conor says that Israel is the aggressor nation.

10 pages of saying that Frankie Edgar should have the fight instead.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jose posted:

probably related to all the mma posters since the normal boxing threads are really good

lemme just say that afaik none of the horrible posting is being done by the MMA thread regulars.

It's almost like freak shows tend to attract a special breed of idiot that's invested in neither sport, yet has strong opinions about both.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I didn't even know they sold CJ Watson jerseys that is a deep cut.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i need more absurd training footage of conor mcgregor. still nothing beats him punching playing cards like a street fighter bonus stage.

Conor's bringing in Ricky Jay to his camp to really help him take his skills up to the next level.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

You not supposed to hurt your sparring partners?

At most sane gyms, no. There's some exceptions to this rule that still produce good fighters that just inexplicably seem to have short careers, constant injuries, and shot chins at a young age.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Lomachenko deserves a loving money fight tbh.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
He should do a poo poo load of steroids and take fights twenty pounds up if he really wants to work on his legacy.

(i love him as is)

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm camping out at the bar for five hours because the only time they had a reservation for was an hour and a half before the main event.

If you're gonna watch a freak show, might as well go all in.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
If you play Darling Nikki loud enough it let's everyone around know that you gently caress :getin:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
My friend made a reservation at the bar an hour and a half before the main card even starts because it was the only time he could get one. I'm gonna be liquored up for five hours before the fight and I just know that no matter what happens I'm gonna hate myself by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Spuckuk posted:

tbf I think Jon "Bones" Jones is pretty close to claiming this title for himself

Floyd is a worse human being probably, but Jones is more unlikable. Yes, I know that doesn't make sense.

Floyd still has a consistent shtick despite being a horrible person. Meanwhile Jones fucks up everything and but isn't even that fun to hate on because he's so weird and mumbly and nonsensical.

• Locked thread