Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Who were those people convinced Conor was good for the sport and why did they think that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He's one of the best fighters around and is a promotional machine

At the small cost of the legitimacy of the lightweight division and actual lightweight title fights.

Those two things are of immense benefit to Conor. I'm asking about the benefit to the sport. Because PPV buys outside of him and Ronda are down and the title picture in half the divisions is either hosed or dire.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

From the perspective of actual sport and competition there's absolutely none; when you think of it more as the combat sports equivalent of King Kong vs Godzilla, that's where the intrigue is. It doesn't matter that the fight doesn't make any goddamn sense, people are just jazzed by the idea of two megastars fighting.

That said, all my not-that-into-boxing friends were certain Pacquiao would beat Mayweather so it's not like you can't absolutely get people to believe McGregor would magically kill him.

A reminder that traditionally, Godzilla is a couple hundred feet tall, while King Kong is 25. I guess it is a pretty apt metaphor.

MourningView posted:

He gets tons of people to pay money to watch it which I think is maybe the goal??

He gets tons of people to watch him. They don't care about the rest of the sport. That's fine, there's no onus on them to do so, but it's hard to see the upside of heaps of people showing up to watch one fighter who shows no signs of longevity and seems to work to actively undermine everyone's perceptions of fighters who aren't him.

Gay Horney posted:

Except Conor is way bigger than Floyd and Floyd is like fifty and hasn't fought for a couple years. So there's a little more to this than myself and others are pretending. I will watch it and split the price of the PPV with friends and hell, maybe have a beer or two.

Conor is two centimetres taller and fought two months more recently than Floyd.

I.N.R.I posted:

when you really think about it, sport is just athletes competing for the entertainment of the general public

This the part that annoys me. The UFC tended to act, most of the time, like a sport, even though no one was forcing it to. You had stuff like Jon Fitch not getting a second title shot, but generally, the rankings more or less made sense and more or less dictated match ups. Now who loving knows, and Conor is a pretty big part of that. It's not about the abstract 'integrity of the sport' I just don't enjoy it as much anymore.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

Not only does he seem to have a massive speed disadvantage, he also appears to have no defence apart from a couple of smartass head bobs.

This is pretty consistent for conor. I remember wondering how Chad Mendes was going to close the gap, but it turned out that just jumping at Conor with a big punch was more than enough. Dude has a good chin and relies on it.

Wazzu posted:

He knows his actual value and tries to get paid that much. He's valuable to the sport as kind of an anti-union. The union will raise the minimum and average wages, Conor will try and set it up so the true superstars are rewarded for their ability to shift business.

How the gently caress is that valuable to the sport? Or even any kind of shift? The big stars have never had trouble getting paid. GSP, Ronda, Rampage, Chuck, Randy, Tito and Wanderlei all made an absolute fortune off the UFC.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Wasn't Byrd also a terrible MMA judge for a bit?

Also, those 'Boxing Short Studies' videos on Youtube are great.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I hope this fight falls through after everyone realises how stupid it is. Ideally on fight week.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
What's an example of a really good boxing match to demonstrate the difference between 'punches hard' and 'good boxer'?

Would the Holyfield/Tyson fights count?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

remember when Brendan Schaub said he could beat Cain Velasquez in a wrestling match

remember when Brendan Schaub tried to have a grappling match with Cyborg Abreu

Brendan Schaub fundamentally does not get how combat sports work

I remember when Brendan Schaub got outboxed by Big Nog and became pretty much his only standing KO in a career going back several thousand years.

big money big clit posted:

Barrera/Hamed

There really aren't many like this though because most boxers who get to fight good boxers are pretty decent boxers themselves, not just guys who punch hard.

Marching Powder posted:

Ward / Kovalev and GGG / Jacobs. Except GGG and Kovalev are both excellent boxers too.

Thanks for these. I have a great interest in boxing even though I know I'm understanding a tenth of what I'm saying. I was just remembering a quote from Holyfield where he said 'Tyson tried to box me, and that was my strength' and I didn't fully understand what else it could be for a boxer. Would anyone like to try to explain that? Or is the answer B. CTE?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Ali-Foreman too. A must watch for anyone who has ever wondered about the origins of rope-a-dope.

I know about this one. It's the subject of 'When We Were Kings' which is a loving amazing documentary.

kimbo305 posted:

Here, "tried to box" means being clean defensively and outscoring your opponent as a primary goal as opposed to trying to hurt him or wear him out.
There's different ways to approach the fight in boxing, same as MMA. Some people prefer (or evolve toward) brawling and preventing their opponent getting organized with their tactics. If you try to box, it means you're gonna stay disciplined, stay alert on defense, and economize your shots instead of willingly trading punches.

I figured it was something like that, it was just a funny way to phrase it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This reminds me of a number that came out around the time of Jones-Gustaffsson. Jones said he was hoping to show off his improved boxing in the upcoming fight, saying that he'd recently completed his 300th round of sparring. One of the Klitschko's chimed in, saying that he'd recently completed his 6000th.
The sheer scale of the gap of experience here is amazing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I went into that documentary knowing that Ali beats Foreman, and the documentary was so good I was convinced going into the fight that it was literally impossible for Ali to win :laugh:

God that's an amazing fight.

I had no idea about any of it. I was a child when it came out and my mum took me to see it. It was like suddenly discovering that Superman was real. Ali was one of a kind. I showed the documentary to my girlfriend, and she honestly couldn't believe Ali was a heavyweight with the way he moved.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I saw a rocky analogy earlier... Would Conor be Clubber Lang, and Floyd be Rocky?

Nah, I'm pretty sure Lang was actually a professional boxer. Conor is more like Thunderlips.

doctor thodt posted:

This is a deeply cynical event that was meticulously orchestrated by a handful of greedy capitalists for the sole purpose of lining their own pockets, knowing full well the deep dissatisfaction every fan will have after the final bell rings and the profound long-term damage they could do to their respective sports. It does nothing beneficial for anything or anyone but them. It's playing to people's baser instincts with insider knowledge, the knowledge that we just can't help ourselves. We've seen this game countless times before. We know it's rigged against us, but we keep playing it anyway.

There's that great clip of Bob Arum after the third Pac-Marquez fight, the one with the weird decision. Arum says he doesn't understand why anyone's upset. Everyone made a lot of money. And he seems genuinely confused. That's basically boxing in a nutshell to me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

I get what you're saying, but there's boxing, and then there's whatever this is. JMM is a storied Mexican boxer with over 50 professional wins. Conor McGregor is an amateur boxer.

Oh, I know it's not the same. It's just that there was so much going on in that fight, both from a narrative perspective and a boxing one. And, obviously, plenty of people were disappointed with the result. But all Bob Arum could see was how much money everyone made. It's the same attitude here. To someone who only cares about money, the fights are the same as each other. They're both going to make a lot of money.

It's a common attitude at the top of a lot of industries. There's a story of a film executive seeing the terrible numbers for the Jean Claude Van Damme vehicle 'Sudden Death' which is 'Die Hard, but at ice hockey.' He apparently yells "I don't understand, we had so many more hostages than Die Hard." Same complete lack of understanding of why people care.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 23, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

Lmao sudden death owns and that owns too

The late, great Powers Boothe fuckin' makes that movie. Pity about everything else that isn't Powers Boothe threatening little children or JCVD doing high kicks in a Hockey goalie's outfit.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

He's had enormous top-level success in sports that have significant overlap with his new sport. He's been preparing for this opportunity for three years at least. He's an elite athlete, and he has an elite athlete's drive and focus. On top of that he's significantly younger than his opponent, who in recent years hasn't been fighting the best competition anyway. All of this will easily balance out the 0-0 professional record and the experience disparity.

But enough about Aaron Pico.

I have seen people unironically say that Conor training full time for a boxing match for (at this point) less than a year is enough to make this fight interesting.

I keep expecting there to be another announcement, like 'Sorry, don't know what we were thinking, this is stupid as poo poo.'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjvXRcnPvw

Since we're posting cool vids, here's Andre Berto, who I'm lead to believe is a pretty good boxer, talking about how Floyd made him feel like an idiot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I would put Floyd in the Bhop school of defensive genius, and going by that yardstick, would need to age him 2 decades.

I just spent a full minute googling for a boxer with the surname ''Bhop" before I realised who you meant.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's a 12 round fight, which is a big advantage for Mayweather. Most professional boxers spend years working their way up with 4-round, 6-round, 8-round and eventually 10-round fights and it's really only world title level fights that go all 12 rounds. Even then there are plenty of fighters that can't maintain pace across all 12 rounds and need to "take a round off" here and there. I think the question here isn't whether McGregor will gas out but what happens when he does.

Remember that noted power puncher Nate Diaz turned him into a desperate wrestler.

Is there an equivalent in boxing to 'failure to stand from butt scoot?' I remember somebody getting DQ'd against Tyson because they would not stop clinching him. Then again, the alternative was getting punched by Mike Tyson.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grem posted:

Tyson's punching power was severely overrated.

My understanding was that he wasn't known for power, but for speed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, Conor doesn't even have good defence by the low standards of MMA striking.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I dunno if that's a fair statement. Nate Diaz is a very good MMA striker and unorthodox as hell, he's not really been boxed up besides that.

Basically, the bar for good defence by MMA standards is extremely low.

Mendes, Poirier and 12 year old Max Holloway all landed on him repeatedly. His chin was/is really good. Diaz is just the only one tough enough to weather the storm.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

you might be right but at least conor can legitimately fight well in general

I don't know, Conor beats up a lot of midgets. Rousey beat up Soccer moms. Can either be said to have the high ground here?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I punch harder than conor but then I have to sit down and catch my breath

That's okay, so does Conor.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Conor is such a good thinker that he was outsmarted by Nate Diaz.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

A prospective Floyd opponent strategy should NOT be to have more "ring intelligence" than one of, if not the, saviest boxers of his era.

Especially if he's never boxed before.

That was what stood out to me when Berto was speaking about him, how he described Mayweather as completely switched on, noticing that Floyd was looking straight at him, obviously mentally engaged, as he fought. He wasn't fighting on muscle memory or anything.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

neonburzt posted:

I was thinking of that same movie too:

The Great White Hype

Starring Peter Berg, who went on to be a pretty well regarded director, and also the guy who directed 'Battleship'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Anyone wanting to hazard a guess at the buyrate? Someone I know said five million (I think he just looked up Floyd/Pac and said a bigger number) but that seems insane for a whole bunch of reasons.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Conor will gas out because, despite being a small man and not having to weight cut, he was sucking air after 7 minutes with Nate Diaz. Then, after becoming a hermit and spending a fortune on his camp, he was able to extend that to 9 minutes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jose posted:

MMA would be better if they hosed

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Nothing would make me happier than Conor dropping floyd with a head kick

There's a first time for everything. I'll settle for Conor actually landing one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

"The rules don't say he can't brandish a pistol and wave it about at his opponent wildly without actually shooting it!" the ref says, shrugging as he consults a massive paper tome labeled "COMPLETE AIR BUD NOVELIZATION ANTHOLOGY"

Lol. You and Triticum keep making it real fuckin' hard to work out who's funnier.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

attackmole posted:

At most sane gyms, no. There's some exceptions to this rule that still produce good fighters that just inexplicably seem to have short careers, constant injuries, and shot chins at a young age.

Shogun/Henderson 1 was an epic battle between two well worn battleaxes, one of whom was 29.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

david carmichael posted:

as the fight approaches i just care less and less

I feel like it should have been announced either a lot closer to the event or a lot further away. Closer, and we would have less time to remember that Floyd is pretty much the best boxer ever. Further, and it's more plausible that Conor can do enough training to close the gap. I mean, he couldn't, but we could trick ourselves easier.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

What...is this? :stare:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ishin posted:

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/896221007740100608 This seems like a completely dickbag, if not unsurprising, move by White.

In response to those saying Conor can't box, here he is, showing that he can box. Badly. Against a bad boxer. Suck it haters.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The secret, right? I figured it out. Be better at fighting than him. No one else has thought of that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vladimir Putin posted:

I'm beginning to think Paulie is not that smart.

I've already concluded that this whole endeavour is not smart.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's gonna make hundreds of millions.

Dumb things can make money, and often do.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

i don't think it's gonna make nearly as much as people had hoped it would

when will we find out what the ppv buys are?

I'm also interested. I have a friend who's convinced it's going to do better than Pac/Mayweather, but that had 4 years of anticipation and was evangelised by hardcore boxing fans, which is a big deal in terms of getting people who otherwise don't give a poo poo on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hobo Erotica posted:

looks like this is a guy on the internet laughing at a two weight world champion who is a master of movement limbering up his body

I can't tell what's irony-posting anymore.

• Locked thread