Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I'm happy Conor McGregor is going to make more money in 1 night than all the UFC champions ever made in their entire careers combined. it's good. boxing is alive ufc is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Rigel posted:

This could really hurt the GGG-Conelo PPV, this freakshow is only 3 weeks before.

In September, casual fans might be thinking "man, gently caress boxing, I got ripped off by that Mayweather-McGregor fight, I'm not paying for that."

Canelo vs GGG will be fine. It's UFC PPVs that are extremely hosed.

Skip My Posts posted:

dana and floyd are both probably very happy to gently caress over de la hoya

lol yeah that too

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

surf rock posted:

I goddamn hate Mayweather, but McGregor has a worse chance to win his fight than CM Punk did against Gall, right? Like, we're going to see McGregor get loving slaughtered.

conor mcgregor is an accomplished combat sports athlete guy who is in his prime going up against an older defensive-minded boxer. Conor won't win a round but he will look fine out there. CM Punk didn't drink beer for 35 years before putting on a gi for the first time and then he stepped into the cage with a young animal.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Rigel posted:

Boxing is not doing well. They occasionally spike a crazy number on a single PPV, but for the most part the UFC has done better than boxing the last few years. From 2014-2016 Boxing had one PPV with >1 million buys. The UFC had 5.

most of those big ufc ppvs involved conor. he's gone. now what UFC is left with is trying to promote the king of online gaming demetrious johnson and gegard mousasi in reebok shorts for $59.99. Nobody wants to buy that poo poo. I know because I don't want to.

I'm happy the Floyd vs Conor fight got made. UFC however is in for a real bad stretch of PPVs in 2017-2019 or whenever the next new guy comes around. Maybe it'll be georges st. pierre but I don't think so

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I don't think floyd would throw the fight for more money when he's already 40 years old. too many things could happen to make a rematch a pain in the rear end, not to mention more time spent training when he's already done that for 20 years and is probably tired of it. which is sorta why he retired in the first place.

Floyd getting $100+ million at the age of 40 is already pretty crazy.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lionel Richie posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd never stopped training tbh, it seems like his entire life is just training and gambling

True, but I dunno I still think Floyd doesn't want to spend his 40s worrying about being in peak physical condition and all that. at some point ya gotta want to relax & indulge while you still have some good years left. otherwise what's the point of making all that money?

Also unrelated but Conor still has to deal with USADA's random testing for UFC while Floyd doesn't have to do any real drug testing, right? That owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Paulie Walnutiatti

lol

• Locked thread