Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cabbit posted:

So, like, is McGregor allowed to like takedown and punch the poo poo out of Floyd from a mount or whatever? I'm not a boxing or MMA guy but I would think taking a MMA guy and making him only box would be a serious disadvantage in most cases, and vice-versa for a boxer but moreso.

It's going to be boxing in a ring. Conor is very likely to get backed into a corner and knocked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Let us not forget that Conor was once handily outstruck by Nathan Diaz.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mike would KO Don and it likely wouldn't be pretty.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JaySB posted:

It's not even that far out. I know Mayweather Promotions has been actively pushing their fighters too.

Just going off the nightmare that was May/Pac I think it's going to be really hard to make this fight happen on 10 weeks notice. The PPV rights alone took months with May/Pac and then there was the ticketing fiasco. Holy poo poo.

I think all of that negotiation has been going on already. Once the fight is signed, the negotiations are done. They've been talking behind the scenes for a long time on this already.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rigel posted:

Kevin Iole is reporting that the fight is on

https://twitter.com/KevinI/status/875093658919247872

loving :lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JaySB posted:

Maybe, maybe not. The Mayweather/Pacquiao fight was signed but then each camp fought over tickets up until basically fight week.

Well, look above. The fight is official. It's going down August 26th.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vaginal facsimile posted:

His whole argument is that Conor has read The Secret

It worked for Chris Weidman.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just don't think Conor has the ability to one hit KO him with the 10oz gloves the way he does with the 4oz ones. That's his only path to victory because :lol: at the thought of him point fighting Floyd Mayweather.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Work Friend Keven posted:

To "reach across the isle" I'd say for any boxing fans who want to get a feel for how most MMA matches look, check out Jemery Horn v. The Taekwondo Guy.

That's Travis Fulton vs Jeremy Bullock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8tVTuNZ3Zw

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

How does a pull counter like that work against a south paw? Seems like it would be harder to pull off since the other fighter should have their left hand in the way.

edit: nm saw some examples in this video of him vs southpaws

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 27, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Christ the speed of the punches Floyd is able to dodge in that video on the last page is just insane

I agree. Conor is gonna get hosed up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well that's because nate diaz is three times his size.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

attackmole posted:

It's not that unusual for him in that he likes keeping his hands super low in MMA. Sometimes he gets hit, but he mostly gets away with it by having dumb long reach and using a long Karate/Tae Kwon Do stance to be even further away. But for a boxing match it's almost certainly a horrible idea.

Having your hands down in front of Floyd Mayweather is not going to turn out well for McGregor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kimbo305 posted:

Spy in Conor's camp sees him practicing leg kicks.

This reminds me of Sylvia v Mercer. They tried to get it sanctioned as a boxing match at first, but the AC wouldn't license Silvia to box, so they got it in MMA instead. They had a gentleman's agreement that it was going to be a 100% standing fight with no kicks thrown. That's why Ray gives Tim the disgruntled look before bopping him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo&t=9s

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mayweather/McGregor isn't going to make it to the judges.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

The hype train is going to lead to another fight that 99% of people are going to say was boring and not worth the money.

No way McGregor makes it 12 rounds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Boxing is just overall more taxing and difficult. Just all around better and more interesting too, but I guess that isn't relevant to the question.

Boxing isn't remotely more taxing or difficult than full on MMA. That's just plain silly to even think.

Yes boxing has for more technically refined striking to fit inside it's restrictive ruleset. MMA striking is markedly different because there are flat out more things to worry about than just someone's hands.

Also actually grappling with someone is one of the most physically exhausting things you can do period, let alone punching and kicking at the same time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

projecthalaxy posted:

Personally I wish Ice Cube had reached out his powerful right hand and cost Money Mayweather hundreds of millions of dollars.

I don't think it's hundreds, but I'm sure there are 8 digits in the total.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KidDynamite posted:

I too have had this nightmare.

It's actually pretty common.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vladimir Putin posted:

Wouldn't heavier gloves hit harder since you're not as afraid that you'll hurt your hands?

Heavier gloves = more padding = less impact

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Connor's going to do worse in his first boxing match than CM Punk did in his first MMA match.

Nah conor will land a punch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snowman_McK posted:

I've already concluded that this whole endeavour is not smart.

It's gonna make hundreds of millions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DaFrugalGamer posted:

McGregor has been doing UFC his entire life and is UFCs best puncher, his one weakness was going against a wrestler in Nate Diaz who got him with a choke hold on March 5, 2016, proving he isn't invincible, now he is doing a sport with no wrestling (boxing) which is all punching, which is his strength, now I'm not the biggest guy when it comes to UFC and boxing but this seems like it's in McGregor favor, once Manletweather realized they locked him in there with a big crazy Irishman he's going to crap his pants on TV in front of everyone and it will be glorious

source your quotes

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

its ok, man. some people like to play touchbutt in the park with pool noodles.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bluedeanie posted:

Are there even one billion occupied homes on earth?

nah there's 6 billion homeless people out there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Noctone posted:

Speaking of, has there been any kind of late onslaught of betting action on Mayweather yet? Last I read all the bookmakers are up poo poo creek without a paddle if Conor wins.

Not really. Most bets are on McGregor right now but overwhelmingly the most money is on Mayweather.

So yeah if Conor wins they'll have to pay a lot of big payouts, but the sheer amount of money on Floyd should balance it out. I don't think they'll take the Holm bath again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bluedeanie posted:

To save money I am going to astral project into the arena. There should be plenty of vacant seats due to the extreme price of tickets so I am not too worried about obstructing anyone's third-eye view or giving anyone an ethereal chill or anything, so this seems like a good idea. Anyway, how do I go about doing it? Can I drink that weird fermented tea with like alien eggs floating in it that costs $7 in the natural foods section or can I just use Lipton? Do I need to avoid eye contact with any shadow spirits I see on the way and will I need to answer any riddles or questions re: the meaning of life before I can do it? What type of music and incense should I best use?

Thanks guys, please serious answerrs only

we need to get jon benjamin in here to help you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McGregor is going to have 20ish lbs on Mayweather.

• Locked thread